Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

I had some credit with an electronics store, so I got a G703. I have never had a gaming mouse before and thought I would like the extra buttons.

The buttons are great, but this thing is LONG. My hand hurts a little using it. I have only had it for 3 days. How long should I give it before I decide whether I like it or not? I am not sure how long I have to return it, but I am sure I can if I need to in the next week-ish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

HungryMedusa posted:

I had some credit with an electronics store, so I got a G703. I have never had a gaming mouse before and thought I would like the extra buttons.

The buttons are great, but this thing is LONG. My hand hurts a little using it. I have only had it for 3 days. How long should I give it before I decide whether I like it or not? I am not sure how long I have to return it, but I am sure I can if I need to in the next week-ish.

I'm using the G703 right now, and it's fine for me. I'm using a claw grip, hand size ~10x20 cm. I adapt my grip to the specific size and shape of a given mouse; by your description it sounds like you have smaller hands, so perhaps try to palm it? Try using it at least a week, but it really shouldn't cause hand discomfort. Is the rest of your configuration ergonomically sound? You shouldn't have to reach for the mouse (or keyboard) and your forearms should be level.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Atomizer posted:

I'm using the G703 right now, and it's fine for me. I'm using a claw grip, hand size ~10x20 cm. I adapt my grip to the specific size and shape of a given mouse; by your description it sounds like you have smaller hands, so perhaps try to palm it? Try using it at least a week, but it really shouldn't cause hand discomfort. Is the rest of your configuration ergonomically sound? You shouldn't have to reach for the mouse (or keyboard) and your forearms should be level.

I tried some Razer mice at a store today and they felt even less comfortable, so I want the G703 to work. I use it with a laptop, so I moved to a different chair that makes me sit up more straight and it is more comfortable now. I am still going to give it about a week and decide. I have always had a palm grip, but am open to trying a more claw type.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

IMO if the only thing you like about a mouse is the number of buttons, return it. Find a shape & size you like with the number of buttons you want.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

The thing is I thought I wanted at least 6 buttons, so I'm not sure where to go from here. No one makes smaller wireless mice with more than the right and left buttons as far as I can tell.

I am getting used to the g703, though. The trick is to relax; I was really tense at first, and just relaxing my hand, it feels better

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

HungryMedusa posted:

I tried some Razer mice at a store today and they felt even less comfortable, so I want the G703 to work. I use it with a laptop, so I moved to a different chair that makes me sit up more straight and it is more comfortable now. I am still going to give it about a week and decide. I have always had a palm grip, but am open to trying a more claw type.

You can kind of choose your grip on any given mouse, but as I stated I've found that the size of the mouse relative to my hand determines how I hold it. The G703 is on the larger side so a palm grip should work but give a different one a shot. Also, what mice have you used that don't give you hand issues?

3peat
May 6, 2010

I thought this was perfect.. until I found out the price. ouch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeWRU92qMUQ

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
Anyone have an opinion on the new Logitech MX Vertical? I've never used non-conventional mice before, wondering if it would be worth it.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Listerine posted:

Anyone have an opinion on the new Logitech MX Vertical? I've never used non-conventional mice before, wondering if it would be worth it.

Vertical mice are kind of a love it or hate it thing. I'd recommend if you're curious getting the cheap Anker one (https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Ergonomic-Optical-Vertical-Buttons/dp/B00FPAVUHC/) and trying out the basic feel before committing to a $100 mouse you may not like.

Personally I love my Anker for general casual computering but find it unusable for gaming or anything requiring precision clicking. The vertical design means I tend to move the mouse a bit when clicking. I'd assume that will be similar across all vertical mice.

eames
May 9, 2009

3peat posted:

That really does sound great, the price wouldn't bother me to be honest. Hopefully other companies come out with similar products soon, this really looks like the future for mice if independent reviews back this up.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

wolrah posted:

Vertical mice are kind of a love it or hate it thing. I'd recommend if you're curious getting the cheap Anker one (https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Ergonomic-Optical-Vertical-Buttons/dp/B00FPAVUHC/) and trying out the basic feel before committing to a $100 mouse you may not like.

Personally I love my Anker for general casual computering but find it unusable for gaming or anything requiring precision clicking. The vertical design means I tend to move the mouse a bit when clicking. I'd assume that will be similar across all vertical mice.

I have that one and the J-Tech one at £17.

Both are good and i use the J-Tech for gaming without issue.

Looking at the Logitech i can't see anything worthwhile to justify buying it.

I'm sure the build quality is good but it's a five button mouse and i can get ten Ankers for that price and get the same job done.

Bump it up to a seven-nine button mouse, steepen the angle to 70 degrees and for £130 and i would jump all over it for gaming. :blastu:

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Atomizer posted:

You can kind of choose your grip on any given mouse, but as I stated I've found that the size of the mouse relative to my hand determines how I hold it. The G703 is on the larger side so a palm grip should work but give a different one a shot. Also, what mice have you used that don't give you hand issues?

I am getting much more used to the 703 form factor. I have pretty much only used the junkiest mice before this. Whatever came with the computer, or the $15 wireless Logitech ones. I have gone through probably 10 of them.

I always had the back of my palm dragging a little bit, but on this I have to rest my hand all the way on the mouse. My fingers are adjusting. I love the side buttons. Pretty sure I am keeping it. Thanks for helping me talk it out

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Just Another Lurker posted:

I have that one and the J-Tech one at £17.

Both are good and i use the J-Tech for gaming without issue.

Looking at the Logitech i can't see anything worthwhile to justify buying it.

I'm sure the build quality is good but it's a five button mouse and i can get ten Ankers for that price and get the same job done.

Bump it up to a seven-nine button mouse, steepen the angle to 70 degrees and for £130 and i would jump all over it for gaming. :blastu:

I've used one or two of those Anker/miscellaneous vertical mice, but the wireless versions, and there was noticeable latency. If anything, the Logitech version will excel at that aspect so while it's still a little too expensive at $100, I'd be willing to go for a refurb around $60-80.

HungryMedusa posted:

I am getting much more used to the 703 form factor. I have pretty much only used the junkiest mice before this. Whatever came with the computer, or the $15 wireless Logitech ones. I have gone through probably 10 of them.

I always had the back of my palm dragging a little bit, but on this I have to rest my hand all the way on the mouse. My fingers are adjusting. I love the side buttons. Pretty sure I am keeping it. Thanks for helping me talk it out

I've used tons of mice off and on, mainly from Logitech and Razer, and the G703 (with the Powerplay mat) is my current gaming mouse. I actually like the G903 a little better, but the 703 is frigging solid as a right-hand-only mouse.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

3peat posted:

Holy poo poo that does look phenomenal. I might just bite the bullet and eat the cost if the independent reviews hold up. I've not gone wireless but the weight and battery life combination is now right to tip me there.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

wolrah posted:

I use an Evoluent vertical mouse at work which is a pretty pricey mouse already, but does what I need it to do to get me thru the day and I may actually have a look at the Logitech vertical mouse to replace it. But this poster is right about vertical mouse and gaming; at home I rock my G502.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Atomizer posted:

I've used one or two of those Anker/miscellaneous vertical mice, but the wireless versions, and there was noticeable latency. If anything, the Logitech version will excel at that aspect so while it's still a little too expensive at $100, I'd be willing to go for a refurb around $60-80.

I hate batteries so mine are wired and i haven't noticed any latency, at the price they go for they could very well have skimped on the wireless tech. :eng99:

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Nam Taf posted:

Holy poo poo that does look phenomenal. I might just bite the bullet and eat the cost if the independent reviews hold up. I've not gone wireless but the weight and battery life combination is now right to tip me there.

:same:
I have a perfectly working deathadder elite and really don't need this but gently caress it.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Ofecks posted:

:words: about lemon mouse

A follow-up on this: I submitted a warranty claim with Logitech, and they sent me a brand new replacement, no questions asked. They were also quick to respond and very polite and attentive. Ignoring any special treatment I may have received due to Goo's assistance, that's really drat good customer service. New mouse works fine so far. Hopefully this one lasts longer than the old one.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Just Another Lurker posted:

I hate batteries so mine are wired and i haven't noticed any latency, at the price they go for they could very well have skimped on the wireless tech. :eng99:

They definitely should've skipped the wireless option if they were going for whatever low-end option they ended up using. I'm sure the wired versions function better, but I'm still confident that Logitech's wireless solution will work well.

Mindblast posted:

:same:
I have a perfectly working deathadder elite and really don't need this but gently caress it.

The Powerplay support is the dealmaker for me, but I can't find the wireless G Pro on Amazon yet. (I mean I'm not going to pay full price, I'll wait for a refurb or sale.)

I do already like the G903, though, which is the other ambidextrous Powerplay-compatible mouse. It and the G Pro are definitely of different designs for slightly different purposes (I guess,) I'm just not quite sure which one's "better."

Ofecks posted:

A follow-up on this: I submitted a warranty claim with Logitech, and they sent me a brand new replacement, no questions asked. They were also quick to respond and very polite and attentive. Ignoring any special treatment I may have received due to Goo's assistance, that's really drat good customer service. New mouse works fine so far. Hopefully this one lasts longer than the old one.

I think I've only had one warranty claim with Logitech but my experience was identical to yours. I had a mouse button start double-clicking and they sent me the updated version which still works fine today.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
I have only used logitech mice for the past 12 years so I can't compare vs different brands, but mine all have the microswitch contact problem after a while. Generally after 3 years, but I think one might have been just inside warranty period. I didn't know about the generous get-a-new-mouse warranty at the time so I just fixed it myself. I've gotten pretty good at taking apart the microswitch and cleaning the contacts / putting more spring into the leaf.

I feel like mice have possibly make a tradeoff for better click feel at the expense of durability. Before I switched to logitech I had the Intellimouse 3.0 and that thing's switches never died. But it was pretty mushy when compared to today's mice.

Anyways repairing the microswitch is actually not difficult if you have good eyes, and the only tools needed are a screwdriver and an xacto knife. Try it out if you have a mouse with lovely clicks that's out of warranty. My experience has been that it's an easy way to get another year or two out of a mouse.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

I don't think I've worn out any of my mouse switches beyond what they're actually rated for (because I don't really use any single mouse all that much,) so that one time it happened it was probably truly a premature failure. That being said, if the switches really are easy to fix I wouldn't mind doing it myself, especially because I treat my gear gently and it's all in nearly-new condition otherwise.

As we got into, Logitech is very good in terms of customer support and warranty service, and they're known to be willing to service equipment slightly outside of warranty; my upgrade happened to occur because my mouse had been replaced by a newer model.

That being said, I have enough equipment where it's really not an issue if something finally dies, and newer gear is often worth upgrading to anyway (see: Lightspeed Wireless, Powerplay, etc.)

The other thing of note is that, while I generally use Logitech and Razer gear, I've been hesitant to start using some of the other manufacturers' mice in particular because everyone has their own software suite and I don't want to install a half dozen different ones on a single PC.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

My Logitech G5 lasted 10 years and I only replaced it because its feet were super worn. Switches never had any issues.
Got a Steelseries mouse as a replacement because 2 years ago Logitech was into making their gaming mice as ugly as possible. Their newest mice look good again though so thumbs up for that.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I've got a Logitech G502 and the right click is starting to crap out on me - the right click won't hold reliably and is giving me some other problems. Tried blowing some compressed air in their in-case maybe there was just some dust got in there but no luck. A lazy search suggests opening up the mouse and loving with the pins or whatever but I don't exactly have the tools to get it open.

Bit disappointed to find a replacement would run 120$ CAD. Any suggestions for something similar but cheaper?

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Klyith posted:

I didn't know about the generous get-a-new-mouse warranty at the time so I just fixed it myself.

Some more info about my experience that I left out. I was given what's called an "advanced replacement", which means they just sent me a new one straight-up, and didn't require me to send back the defective unit. According to Goo, this does not happen often. Keep that in mind when making a warranty claim.

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?
My ancient intellimouse still works despite way more use than every other mouse I've ever used. I had a g700 whose left click microswitch died right before warranty, the replacement g700s had a microswitch that died and another g700s I bought had its scroll wheel go out reasonably well outside warranty. I could cannibalize the two to make one working mouse, but :effort:

I like the g503 I bought to replace them, but I really wish we'd see a g700 refresh.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
Well yesterday I found out I could use my G602 with just a single AA battery so I tried it out and it's noticeably lighter and it feels more balanced. And I feel like an idiot for having this mouse for months and not knowing about this feature.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Ofecks posted:

Some more info about my experience that I left out. I was given what's called an "advanced replacement", which means they just sent me a new one straight-up, and didn't require me to send back the defective unit. According to Goo, this does not happen often. Keep that in mind when making a warranty claim.

I've also heard about them doing a version of this where they'll send you a replacement and not require you to return the broken one to them, just to snip the cable and send them a photo of it.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Oxyclean posted:

I've got a Logitech G502 and the right click is starting to crap out on me - the right click won't hold reliably and is giving me some other problems. Tried blowing some compressed air in their in-case maybe there was just some dust got in there but no luck. A lazy search suggests opening up the mouse and loving with the pins or whatever but I don't exactly have the tools to get it open.

Bit disappointed to find a replacement would run 120$ CAD. Any suggestions for something similar but cheaper?

They're $50 USD on amazon in the US but $94 CAD in Canada. What's going on up there?
https://www.amazon.ca/Logitech-Proteus-Spectrum-Tunable-910-004615/dp/B019OB663A/

They have a three year warranty so I'd check when you got the mouse. It was released in 2013 so yours is a maximum of 5 years old.

If you do feel like trying to fix it you just need a precision screwdriver for the most part. I have a couple of cheap chinese kits like this that are fine for 99% of taking electronics apart:
https://www.amazon.ca/Screwdriver-Precision-Electronic-Kaisi-CRV/dp/B00KBR713G/
You'd want to get into it like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Urbrzs6snAs
Then pop that switch open and clean it and/or bend it. It may be hard to open it in place but it's an option:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDoXMJyimDU

If it's out of warranty and if you don't feel like fixing it I'm not sure what the best replacement option would be because I'm using a G502 and don't think I'm going to change to anything else any time soon.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Rexxed posted:

They're $50 USD on amazon in the US but $94 CAD in Canada. What's going on up there?
https://www.amazon.ca/Logitech-Proteus-Spectrum-Tunable-910-004615/dp/B019OB663A/

Something something tariffs?

Thanks O'Trumpa! :bahgawd:

Edit: The wireless G Pro finally has an Amazon listing. The interesting thing to me is that [in terms of appearance] this isn't simply a wireless version of the original G Pro, it's more like an ambidextrous G703/G403, or perhaps if the G903 was combined with the G703's design. (The G305 is actually the wireless G Pro/G203.)

Atomizer fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Aug 26, 2018

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
Since I like the shape and feel of my G602 would I like the G502? I basically want a lighter and wired version of the G602 in terms of shape and feel and it looks like the G502 comes closest.

spasticColon fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Aug 27, 2018

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

3peat posted:

The Logitech g203 is the same shape and button configuration but with an unnoticeably worse sensor for $26 at best buy right now.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Is the bottom mounted dpi switch the only way to change it? I personally use dpi 1000 for menu's and 4000 when actually playing fps so that dpi switch on the deathadder is actually useful to me.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

What’s the advantage of using a higher DPI and lower sensitivity vs the opposite in games? Is it to do with the precision of updates during stuff like flick-shots?

Like, I get the point of having a high distance/360 measurement, but what effect do the aforementioned two variables have if that’s achieved?

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

spasticColon posted:

Since I like the shape and feel of my G602 would I like the G502? I basically want a lighter and wired version of the G602 in terms of shape and feel and it looks like the G502 comes closest.

Both of those have similarly funky shapes & button configurations, and they're probably the most similar to each other in terms of Logitech's lineup; I've used both and they're fine with me, and I'd say you'll probably be able to quickly adapt to the G502 (although it is indeed a funkier, more gamer-y version of the G602.)

hawowanlawow posted:

The Logitech g203 is the same shape and button configuration but with an unnoticeably worse sensor for $26 at best buy right now.

Like I wrote, the G305 is the wireless version of the wired G Pro and the G203, the latter being newer and preferable to the G Pro; the G203 has a better cord and a "worse" HERO sensor that's functionally identical to the one in the G Pro. The wireless "G Pro" is an altogether different mouse.

Mindblast posted:

Is the bottom mounted dpi switch the only way to change it? I personally use dpi 1000 for menu's and 4000 when actually playing fps so that dpi switch on the deathadder is actually useful to me.

Apparently that bottom switch was a feature requested by "pro gamers," presumably because they're liable to unintentionally hit that switch in the middle of a match (except you can reassign its function in software.) You can however use the software to reassign DPI switching to other buttons, or to have it configure the DPI automatically so that it jumps up to 4k when you run "game.exe," for example.

Other than that, tons of other gaming mice have dedicated DPI switching buttons on top; if you were considering the wireless G Pro because it's Powerplay compatible, the G703 has a single DPI cycle button and the G903 has two to shift back and forth.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Nam Taf posted:

What’s the advantage of using a higher DPI and lower sensitivity vs the opposite in games? Is it to do with the precision of updates during stuff like flick-shots?

Like, I get the point of having a high distance/360 measurement, but what effect do the aforementioned two variables have if that’s achieved?
Assuming no acceleration there's almost no difference over the length of a flick shot. The difference is only really apparent over very small mouse movements.

For example let's say I have two terrible mice that are 2dpi and 10dpi respectively. If I move a half an inch, the 2dpi mouse will probably only register 1 event while the 10dpi will register 5. This isn't unusual since the 10dpi mouse is five times as sensitive. However, if I move my mouse 0.9 inches, the 2pi mouse may still only register 1 event while the 10dpi mouse registers 9. The high DPI mouse setting is less sensitive to this kind of truncation.

If, on the other hand, I want to move my mouse exactly 1 unit of turn, the low DPI mouse gives a higher tolerance. You can move almost a whole extra interval without triggering an extra mouse event, and with low DPI those intervals are longer.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

That makes complete sense. Thank you. I've always defauled to low DPI but I might take the time to screw with it a bit and see if I can find a higher DPI, lower sensitivity situation that works for me too.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

On top of that, I prefer to have movement data come as much from the hardware sensor measuring movement, versus getting the result enhanced afterwards by an algorithm.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Most logitech, and other brand, lmb/rmb mouse click failures are from dust and debris, not wear. Spraying contact cleaner into the switch will fix it for literal years to come.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Atomizer posted:

Apparently that bottom switch was a feature requested by "pro gamers," presumably because they're liable to unintentionally hit that switch in the middle of a match (except you can reassign its function in software)

Pro gamers (the type who make their living doing it and travel to LANs constantly) know nothing about their computers and the software on them, as a rule. I would not be even a tiny bit surprised if they genuinely requested that out of ignorance. They also go through a lot of hardware--none of them are breaking out the contact cleaner if a button starts double activating, they just open a new mouse from the pile from their sponsor--and constantly use that hardware with different PCs

It may seem dumb but it's definitely realistic

emdash fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Aug 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

One thing I'm not sure about is if there are any restrictions in terms of the software that can be running on those PCs at tournaments. The gear is generally uniform and provided by sponsors (except perhaps at smaller events?) and to be fair it wouldn't surprise me if the rules stipulated that you couldn't use the configuration software, dick around with macros, reassign keys, etc. It's dumb, but I'd expect some restrictions so if that mandates the relocation of the DPI button to the bottom then :shrug:

The only thing is, I've never unintentionally hit the DPI button(s) on any of my mice, and I'm not a 1337 pr0 g4m3r, so I'm having a hard time understanding why this is an issue; I'd assume that the "pros" have better mouse control. Plus, this is a consumer-market mouse so it's not like this is something that needs to be altered for ordinary players since they aren't going to buy this mouse themselves and use it in a competitive tournament, thus I don't see why they needed to release it in this configuration. On top of all that, even if you were going to remove the DPI button from the top of the mouse I don't see why you'd bother to relocate it to the bottom at all, where it's basically useless because you're not going to lift up your mouse and fumble for the button in the heat of battle.

It's all pretty dumb, but otherwise it looks like a nice product. I'll be waiting for a significant discount or refurb before buying one for myself, though.