Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

The books are so dense that it seems impossible to do even one movie per book without adapting (i.e. cutting) huge amounts of the story and characters. But if ASOIAF can make a successful TV show, Malazan could, too. 8-10 hours per book is probably writable. I know I'd watch it even if it was SyFy trash-tier production quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

1. In TtH, Dassem has a vendetta against Hood, which relates to his daughter. Did I miss where this was explained at some point, or are the precise details meant to be a mystery at this stage?
2. In the epilogue of RotCG, Dassem has a conversation with Hood following the climactic battle. His animosity towards Hood does not seem to be present here - what am I missing?

BigHead posted:

:eng101: Kellanved taking control of the Logros leads to Dassem Ulton being named First Sword (of the Logros) and firing Tool from his position of First Sword so he can go hang out with the Adjunct.

This led to Hood taking revenge because Traveler now a) was supposed to be his Mortal Sword and b) those Imass are supposed to be dead and in Hood's realm.

Which led to Traveler breaking his Mortal Sword vow to Hood, which leads to Hood kidnapping and really loving up Traveler's daughter.

Which led to Traveler swearing vengeance on Hood, which led to Traveler killing Rake after Rake stole his vengeance.

Which led to whathisname going free from the sword.

Which led to saving the Throne of Darkness (how the Emperor and Hood convinced Rake to kill Hood) in the finale of the penultimate book and saving the world (with a now-alive and free Hood and his mini-army of Jahgut, and the bridgeburners who ascended once Hood quit his job) at the finale of The Crippled God.

I think it was in TCG that the last piece of that chain of causation fell into place, with a flashback during Tool's point of view chapter, during the trek across that desert. Turns out the plan for the finale of TCG was put into place way back when.

Edit: formatting.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Over on his Facebook page, Erikson has been sharing some of the maps from the original gaming sessions, and they're pretty neat. Here's Quon Tali.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Has Bottle shown up in any of the new books?

I'm disappointed to learn that Fisher isn't an ascendant or passive God of art.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
I just wanted to mention that FoD and FoL is the B E S T poo poo ever. I'm so hyped when I talk to someone about Malazan and that ending of book 2.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Finished Esselmont's novels. Night of Knives is God awful, but the rest minus the crimson guard parts were enjoyable. By the end of Assail I was glad to be done with the Crimson Guard.

Starting Forge of Darkness and up to chapter 5. It has a lot of Erikson's philosophical ramblings and monologues so far. I'm not thrilled.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Mr Hootington posted:

Starting Forge of Darkness and up to chapter 5. It has a lot of Erikson's philosophical ramblings and monologues so far. I'm not thrilled.
That's the entire book. Next one is that, but moreso.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Dust of Dreams is massively dragging for me. Shuffling across a desert of clans I don't care about to get to the scattered oases of Malazan scenes.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

dwarf74 posted:

That's the entire book. Next one is that, but moreso.

Well at least I have the two path to ascendency books.

I zoned out in one part of the audiobook and feel I missed nothing.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Aug 28, 2018

coathat
May 21, 2007

Infinite Karma posted:

The books are so dense that it seems impossible to do even one movie per book without adapting (i.e. cutting) huge amounts of the story and characters. But if ASOIAF can make a successful TV show, Malazan could, too. 8-10 hours per book is probably writable. I know I'd watch it even if it was SyFy trash-tier production quality.

I just heard about the sunk movie deal so that explains why amazon or netflix haven’t started working on a tv series. Cuz lord knows every other fantasy series is getting one. The Black Company is getting one and it could work well as a series.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Forge of Darkness got a lot better once the female Fat Bastard showed up for a scene.

Edit: all the tiste are useless and stupid.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Aug 31, 2018

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I started forge of darkness as an audiobook this weekend. Tiste pronounced tighst. :supaburn:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I started forge of darkness as an audiobook this weekend. Tiste pronounced tighst. :supaburn:

Prepare your self for many more.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Apparently this is the right way to pronounce it, but gently caress that.

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.

dwarf74 posted:

Apparently this is the right way to pronounce it, but gently caress that.

It's how they pronounced it back then. Language evolves, y'know.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Forge of Darkness ended up being an ok book.

Fall of Light is trash so far, but I'm only an hour and a half into the audiobook. The narrator of the broken up tale is no Kruppe or Fisher.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I got an ARC for Erikson's new first contact novel. Wish it was a physical copy but it'll do :). Impressions as I go through it this weekend.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Ah cool. Willful Child was ok, I'm not a Trekie or anything. Looking forward to a more serious Scifi from him.

Also it never ceases to amaze me that people can get though 10 books of Malazan soldier philosophising, then get turned off by emo elves philisophising in Fall of Light. Different strokes I guess. I think the Tiste are just a punching bag for the fact FoD laid the ground for some pretty big reveals which were never delivered upon in FoL.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

dishwasherlove posted:

Ah cool. Willful Child was ok, I'm not a Trekie or anything. Looking forward to a more serious Scifi from him.

Also it never ceases to amaze me that people can get though 10 books of Malazan soldier philosophising, then get turned off by emo elves philisophising in Fall of Light. Different strokes I guess. I think the Tiste are just a punching bag for the fact FoD laid the ground for some pretty big reveals which were never delivered upon in FoL.

The malazan soldiers have character and are mostly likeable. The tiste all sound the same and besides the darkness bros all suck. The jaghut and thel akai do not suck and are the best parts of FoL.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Also, the Malazan soldiers kick rear end and do dangerous stuff on the regular, in between philosophy lectures. There's a lot more thunder and a lot less lightning in FoL.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

It's a pity Walk in Shadow won't be coming anytime soon because I need that lightning.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I thought Fall of Light was Erikson's best writing to date, it's not a bombastic action-packed fantasy book like the mainline Malazan books but instead it puts its focus on the characters and themes of the story. I can see why people didn't take to it but I really enjoyed it and hope Erikson circles around to finish the trilogy sooner than later.

Schwza
Apr 28, 2008
It has been a while since I read Fall of Light, am I remembering correctly that in some storage room there was an ancient painting depicting a war with Draconus in the scene. Was it implied that he had failed with an earlier Tiste civilization and this was his second go at making his favored creatures flourish?

Pleiades
Aug 20, 2006
Finished Memories of Ice in late August and loved it. Best so far. Itkovian is a CINNAMON ROLL!!1

Started House of Chains. Karsa...yea...am witnessing now.

Poor Trull Sengar, but I'm aware that the Sengar situation is later.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
So far Rejoice... is solid. Good premise, overtly political. Taking a little bit to introduce a huge cast of characters and get the table set. Interested to see where it heads.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
It's quite meta. Canadian authors, musk, Rupert Murdoch is Murdo, Koch brothers...

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

The Ninth Layer posted:

I thought Fall of Light was Erikson's best writing to date.

This man fucks.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

I'm actually rereading FoL at the moment. Just got to the part where Brood destroys Draconus' House trying to stomp out Spite and Envy. That poo poo was freaking intense. And the Finnest loving impregnates Sand with Korlat. Wild. . Just wild.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

Schwza posted:

It has been a while since I read Fall of Light, am I remembering correctly that in some storage room there was an ancient painting depicting a war with Draconus in the scene. Was it implied that he had failed with an earlier Tiste civilization and this was his second go at making his favored creatures flourish?

Been a while for me too but that sounds right to me. If not more than his second go.

I liked the Kharkas books as well. Sure, sometimes there was a bit too much with the philosophy but it was really neat to read about the origin about a lot of the characters and when stuff does happen, it was really drat good.

And there were some kickass characters too. The bridge guards turned hust legion commanders were awesome.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

dishwasherlove posted:

I'm actually rereading FoL at the moment. Just got to the part where Brood destroys Draconus' House trying to stomp out Spite and Envy. That poo poo was freaking intense. And the Finnest loving impregnates Sand with Korlat. Wild. . Just wild.

I thought that was Olar Ethil?

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I thought that was Olar Ethil?
Olar Ethil burnt down the house down, imprisoning the sisters and convincing Brood to spare them for Draconus to deal with. Even without the fire I'm not sure the house would have survived Brood and the sisters unleashing their powers, as well as the Finnest's awakening though. Brood precipitates the whole thing when Rake goads him on though.

Yarrington
Jun 13, 2002

While I will admit to a certain cynicism, I am a nay-sayer and hatchet man in the fight against violence. I pride myself in taking a punch and I'll gladly take another.
Just finished Bonehunters and boy that's a lot of characters involved at the end that I only tenuously remember. Foreigner is Withal, the Meckros smith who made Rhulad's sword in MT before escaping with his andii ?wife?. Who the hell is Obo? Temper? Even by the normal standards of this series it feels like a lot of characters.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Yarrington posted:

Just finished Bonehunters and boy that's a lot of characters involved at the end that I only tenuously remember. Foreigner is Withal, the Meckros smith who made Rhulad's sword in MT before escaping with his andii ?wife?. Who the hell is Obo? Temper? Even by the normal standards of this series it feels like a lot of characters.
Temper was introduced in Night of Knives, where he's one of two main characters. Obo appears there, too.

Yarrington
Jun 13, 2002

While I will admit to a certain cynicism, I am a nay-sayer and hatchet man in the fight against violence. I pride myself in taking a punch and I'll gladly take another.

dwarf74 posted:

Temper was introduced in Night of Knives, where he's one of two main characters. Obo appears there, too.

I haven't read it so that explains it.

Sjonkel
Jan 31, 2012
Reading Toll the Hounds after having a break for a few months from the series. I can't remember who Nimander and his crew were, and how the fit in. Can anyone give me a very quick recap?

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

The rejects who were hanging out on Drift Avalii with Andarist

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Sjonkel posted:

Reading Toll the Hounds after having a break for a few months from the series. I can't remember who Nimander and his crew were, and how the fit in. Can anyone give me a very quick recap?

A bunch of boring weirdos who Erikson wrote about to help himself fall asleep and forgot to remove from the final draft. They don't fit in. Anywhere

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
I too have just started Toll the Hounds, after a break of about a year. I've tried to read the entire series twice and both times hit a wall at TtH. Nothing to do with the book itself, both times I'd barely read any of it, just that apparently I got burnt out on Malazan at exactly the same point each time. This time I'm starting with TtH and it turns out that was a good idea. Although it's hard to resist the temptation to start again because I keep getting reminded of stuff/characters/set pieces/convergences/etc from previous books that I loved and I want to go back. I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir here but it's a series that really rewards multiple reads. Having at least some awareness of the bigger picture gives a much different perspective on things since the beginning, especially the beginning.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

It sucks that to make the Tiste plot properly pay off you have to read the Kharkanas books and the whole series once, then do a reread. The whole Sandalath / Korlat / Orfantal thing, the Shake, The Purake brothers and Draconus have a massive impact... if you can digest and remember 12 books worth of plot threads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I found it kind of frustrating the first loop round, yeah, especially as none of the Kharkanas trilogy is reconcilable with Udinaas' visions of the Tiste in MT. But on hindsight I like how fuzzy and warped it all is - the whole thing's been mythologised to such a degree that nobody knows the truth anymore. I'm not quite sure how that['s supposed to work with the people who were actually there, as there's not really any indication that Rake's memory is incorrect or anything. But I'm enjoying my re-read significantly more because I;m no longer treating every last little detail as a puzzle that needs to be solved, so I'm not gonna question that too deeply.

I can't resist the occasional bit of puzzling though. To whit - after GotM and MT, every time someone makes a snap decision or forgets a detail, I'm convinced its Oponn or the Errant loving with people. There's the scene in MoI where the Bridgeburners get screwed over by Korlat barely missing a quorl but there are two moments in BH Hurlochel getting distracted and forgetting to tell Paran that Shai'k was Malazan, and then Paran's slip with the Deck leading him to Hood that feel like a rare moment of humanity and compassion from Oponn, and I love how it's completely ambiguous.

dishwasherlove posted:

Olar Ethil burnt down the house down, imprisoning the sisters and convincing Brood to spare them for Draconus to deal with. Even without the fire I'm not sure the house would have survived Brood and the sisters unleashing their powers, as well as the Finnest's awakening though. Brood precipitates the whole thing when Rake goads him on though.

Ah yeah, I think I muddled who was doing the burning and the other poo poo.