Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I'm actually sad that they made a weirdly long pollaxe for some reason :saddowns:

(the reason is so there's less overlap between different weapon categories, I guess, but still)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Nordick posted:

A whole load of new weapons coming in the update:

http://battlebrothersgame.com/dev-blog-101-new-weapons/

TL;DR:
- Greatswords and Mauls get cheaper low tier variants
- Two-handed flails and maces introduced
- Sundry other cool stuff
- MOTHERFUCKING POLEHAMMER YOOOOO :getin:

I'm so glad they're still updating this game after all

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I'm so glad they're still updating this game after all

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I just cannot find unique weapons for the life of me, no matter how much I kill random strongholds in the wilderness and listen to tavern rumors. And when I do find one, it's always another shield, or a +durability greathammer.

I have tens of thousands of crowns after winning the Noble War and can't find any for sale, either.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Night10194 posted:

I just cannot find unique weapons for the life of me, no matter how much I kill random strongholds in the wilderness and listen to tavern rumors. And when I do find one, it's always another shield, or a +durability greathammer.

I have tens of thousands of crowns after winning the Noble War and can't find any for sale, either.

RNGsus giveth, RNGsus taketh away, and sometimes RNGsus just fucketh off. It's day 127 in my current game and I have two brothers wearing unique scale armor, have seen other unique armors in the store a few times, but haven't seen a single goddamn unique weapon. In some previous games I've had several.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Nordick posted:

TL;DR:

i hope the fencing sword can still parry.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I know that buffing a town with improved trade routes and the like increases the likelihood stuff shows up.

I have the opposite problem, as I'm day 250+ in this game trying to go for the 365 day and dragon hoard achievements and I can't seem to hold more than 30k at a time because I keep finding expensive uniques to buy.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Aug 24, 2018

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Nordick posted:

TL;DR:
Spetum and fencing sword look like great additions that could open up some builds. I hope there'll be uniques.

Also, looking forward to running into a Brigand Raider with a two-handed flail with a fresh company.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I love the Orc 2h flail and usually have one man using it in every endgame company, so another 2h flail I'm actually supposed to use will be aces.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

On my most successful campaign attempt so far after getting the game last week. I've noticed that money is constantly in short supply no matter what I do. I'm on day 47 and only recently gotten into contracts with the houses. I have open relations with one and neutral with the other two.

I have a bunch of trouble getting enough money for worthwhile weapons and armor. I have a trade route of 4 villages: 1 for wood, 2 for dyes, 1 to sell it in. The problem is keeping my guys able to deal with the constant raiders and poo poo that keep loving up the prices.

Another problem is that now something powerful (3 skulls) is driving up prices of goods in a vital town for that trade route and I don't feel confident enough to kill the fucker. Its been hell trying to get good weapons and armor. My guys arent going to survive fights much longer if I can't break through and get some drat equipment.

I also can't afford to have a revolving door of recruits because every penny counts towards getting a couple of better maces or hammers or chainmail. I haven't been able to maintain more than 11 guys because I need equipment far more than I need men who will likely die before contributing much.

TLDR: how do I get some good weapons and armor more effectively? Smiths are charging far too much.

The Skeleton King fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Aug 24, 2018

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

The Skeleton King posted:

On my most successful campaign attempt so far after getting the game last week. I've noticed that money is constantly in short supply no matter what I do. I'm on day 47 and only recently gotten into contracts with the houses. I have open relations with one and neutral with the other two.

I have a bunch of trouble getting enough money for worthwhile weapons and armor. I have a trade route of 4 villages: 1 for wood, 2 for dyes, 1 to sell it in. The problem is keeping my guys able to deal with the constant raiders and poo poo that keep loving up the prices.

Another problem is that now something powerful (3 skulls) is driving up prices of goods in a vital town for that trade route and I don't feel confident enough to kill the fucker. Its been hell trying to get good weapons and armor. My guys arent going to survive fights much longer if I can't break through and get some drat equipment.

I also can't afford to have a revolving door of recruits because every penny counts towards getting a couple of better maces or hammers or chainmail. I haven't been able to maintain more than 11 guys because I need equipment far more than I need men who will likely die before contributing much.

TLDR: how do I get some good weapons and armor more effectively? Smiths are charging far too much.

You sound like you're mostly on the right track. Check out the guide I put up on Steam if you haven't already. It's a little outdated but should have some good tips for you.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=902880552

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The solution to your problem is killing Brigand Raiders and taking their T2 weapons and T3 flails. I very rarely actually buy weapons for quite a long way into a campaign and even the thugs' T2 flails will do you surprisingly great early in a campaign (first couple weeks).

Money is going to be extremely tight up until it suddenly isn't, though. Big weapons like a greatsword are a really big purchase that takes a lot of effort to get, which I think is why they're introducing weaker versions like the Longsword in the upcoming expansion.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Yeah, that's the guide I used. It's gotten me on the right track, I just don't know how to determine if things are going well or not. Biggest problems Ive encountered so far are necromancers. I can't figure out how to kill the fuckers before all my guys get locked down and exhausted. The fuckers can fight indefinitely but my guys are on a timer before the zombos finally break down their shields and armor. I haven't been able to figure out how to push through them and kill that guy.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Necromancers are an archer tax. Three good archers will let you shoot past their meatshield and kill them eventually.

I loving hate necromancers. And geists.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Yeah, that's the guide I used. It's gotten me on the right track, I just don't know how to determine if things are going well or not. Biggest problems Ive encountered so far are necromancers. I can't figure out how to kill the fuckers before all my guys get locked down and exhausted. The fuckers can fight indefinitely but my guys are on a timer before the zombos finally break down their shields and armor. I haven't been able to figure out how to push through them and kill that guy.

Train up a couple of archers and on the first turn push forward a few hexes so that your archers can reach the necromancer with aimed shots. Hold the line until the archers do their job, then go to town on the remaining zombies.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Uh oh, better run away -- oh four hipfires hit my dude in the head killing him before he gets to move once. I loved XCOM but I never felt the rolls were unfair/cheating. In this one, I definitely feel like it. The amount of times I miss all my swings in a round and get hit by 90% of enemy hits through a shieldwall is just egregious.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I think this game doesn't cheat the RNG to 'feel' right like X-COM does.

E: Also, one thing that's really helped me is expanding the log in the upper left to actually watch enemy to-hit numbers. It helps you plan when you really need to think of a way to get a guy out of the situation he's in vs. when you're just unlucky.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Are there XCOM cheats?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

^^^ XCOM EW and XCOM2 would give you hidden aim boosts on lower difficulties if you missed multiple shots.

it would be cool if instead of having split, the longsword had riposte. but that's mostly because i want a parry sword that benefits with reach advantage. :getin:

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Aug 24, 2018

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
more BB's posts, making me boot the game up again. I've got 2 friends to buy the game in the last few months though! As always.. anyone have any awesome seeds they would like to share? We all play the same one and see how it goes

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Any advice on using the Nimble perk? I'm trying to use a bunch of builds I didn't in my last two games this time and after how much trouble I've had with those loving Noble War Sergeants I would like to emulate them.

Also, what's better for a Duelist, a Noble Sword with Riposte or a Military Cleaver/Khopesh for the damage?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Night10194 posted:

Any advice on using the Nimble perk? I'm trying to use a bunch of builds I didn't in my last two games this time and after how much trouble I've had with those loving Noble War Sergeants I would like to emulate them.

Also, what's better for a Duelist, a Noble Sword with Riposte or a Military Cleaver/Khopesh for the damage?

i prefer a cleaver for duelist. since you have to actually evade an attack to riposte, a shield is generally better for a riposter, unless you have someone with crazy melee defense that is.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Also, I think Thieves have become my favorite early game recruits alongside Squires. Thieves rule.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Out of curiosity is there any good approach to fighting whole groups of Honor Guard besides praying that they don't kill at least a couple of your elite brothers?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Night10194 posted:

Cleavers are drat good for duelists, the bleed is really good since IIRC it stacks

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Cleaver Duelists are my favorite build by now.
And yeah, the bleed does stack, although it doesn't matter against all enemies because a lot of the regular ones will just be dead after two cleaver hits.

Like Night10194 said, you usually shouldn't buy weapons before later in the game. You can get good swords, polearms and flails from Brigands, and those are generally the best midgame weapon classes anyway. Goblins and Orc Young also drop Goblin falchions, which are slightly better than their human counterparts.
The only weapons I generally assume I'll have to buy are T3 bows and two-handed hammers. All other weapons can be picked up along the way or together with recruits and I'll only buy them at a weaponsmith if I'm getting really close to a crisis and haven't managed to find a T3 version yet.
Maces are semi-rare but Brigand Leaders use them fairly often. Fallen Heroes sometimes as well. Also, Squire recruits sometimes have them and Squires are a great background since they can be good tanks, two-handers, sergeants or sometimes even archers. If you see a Squire with a T3 mace and can afford him I'd go for it.
I don't use one-handed axes a lot but if you do they're also a reasonably common choice for Brigand Leaders and Fallen Heroes.
Two-handed swords and axes generally also come from Brigand Leaders and Fallen Heroes. On Expert, you might run into Hedge Knights before the crisis, and they seem to generally have either one of those or a sword & shield combo, but I assume you're not playing on Expert. Hedge Knight and occasionally Sellsword recruits can also be a good source of those weapons.
T3 Cleavers are only dropped by Brigand Leaders afaik. Maybe Fallen Heroes but I don't think so. Orc cleavers are a great alternative if your designated cleaver bros can deal with the additional Fatigue, though. And you'll be drowning in Orc weapons at some point.
If you're using crossbows the only way to get a T3 one without buying it is killing a Goblin Overseer for it.

Armor is a bit more difficult and dependent on what difficulty you're playing on. On Expert, I never really have an issue getting heavy armor because I'll be fighting enough Brigand Leaders and Fallen Heroes before the crisis starts to shank a few of them along the way. This won't get you the best heavy armor but the most important thing is having any heavy armor at all. Upgrading from a decayed, smelly helmet you got from a zombie and lovely lamellar armor to better things can wait until contracts pay a couple thousand. However, on Expert I will often buy Mail Hauberks because running around in rusty Brigand armor for too long gets bros killed.
On Veteran I often skipped the intermediate Mail Hauberk on a lot of bros and just saved up for Scale Armor and Reinforced Mail Hauberks.
You do need some bros with decent armor even on lower difficulties as soon as you start going up against Orc Warriors and Ancient Legionaries, though. And Goblins are a lot harder when any Ambusher shot that hits punches through armor and poisons a bro. So this is kinda something you play by ear. I'd generally buy decent armor for good bros that I plan to keep around as soon as I can. The rest get hand-me-downs from those good bros or dead Brigands.
Armor is also something I'm often looking to get from recruits. Adventurous Nobles and Hedge Knights especially are often good and generally have good armor. Sellswords as well. So it pays to visit military settlements regularly to see if there are potentially good recruits with good gear.
I don't buy helmets at full price. You can sometimes get damaged padded ones with around 140 max Durability and that can be worth it early on. Apart from that, Brigand Raiders and Armored Wiedergängers drop pretty decent helmets in the same range and Brigand Leaders, Fallen Heroes and Ancient Dead sometimes give you good upgrades to those.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Aug 25, 2018

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

You get piles of T3 crossbows if you fight House troops, but that's its own animal.

Also they fire those T3 crossbows at you, with Crossbow Expert, and it sucks.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
I didn't mention those because starting a private war is fun but not really something I'd recommend to a new player.
It's also a bad decision in general on a lot of maps.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Wizard Styles posted:

I didn't mention those because starting a private war is fun but not really something I'd recommend to a new player.
It's also a bad decision in general on a lot of maps.

You can just as easily get them from the noble war.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Yeah, but if you're fighting the Noble War you have (hopefully) an established and smooth company already.

Seriously, though, if you hate Brigand Marksmen wait until you meet Arbalesters. rear end in a top hat With Crossbow is waiting for all your brothers in hell.

E: I just did my second Noble War and man rear end in a top hat With A Crossbow and Bald rear end in a top hat With No Hat And A Sassy Sash are the most hated foes.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Night10194 posted:

Yeah, but if you're fighting the Noble War you have (hopefully) an established and smooth company already.

Seriously, though, if you hate Brigand Marksmen wait until you meet Arbalesters. rear end in a top hat With Crossbow is waiting for all your brothers in hell.

E: I just did my second Noble War and man rear end in a top hat With A Crossbow and Bald rear end in a top hat With No Hat And A Sassy Sash are the most hated foes.

Sergeants are real mother fuckers until you hit them over the head with a flail. landing that shot though...

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

My heavy spiked chain guy brained both a Swordsmaster in melee for the achievement when we were ambushed grabbing supplies for the army and nailed a Sergeant too in the battle the next day. Harvar the Squire was a hero that whole campaign.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Night10194 posted:

In the game I'm trudging through to knock out Triple Crisis (but not going for the Big One because I think it'll be less obnoxious after the expansion), there are six orc warlord camps on the map I can't quite handle yet. :mad:

Presumably they're taking up stronghold slots and I'm furious. Lost three of my top bros the last time I tried one.

Roobanguy posted:

^^^ XCOM EW and XCOM2 would give you hidden aim boosts on lower difficulties if you missed multiple shots.

it would be cool if instead of having split, the longsword had riposte. but that's mostly because i want a parry sword that benefits with reach advantage. :getin:

then an enemy swordmaster spawns with it and your entire company loving dies

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Aug 25, 2018

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

This game has a thing a little like Shadow of Mordor where it produces random guys I actually remember. I STILL remember Wendel the Falcon from my first ever 'serious' campaign because he was my first ever Greatswordsman and heroically beheaded 3 orcs in one swing to save my fuckup company.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

GreyjoyBastard posted:

then an enemy swordmaster spawns with it and your entire company loving dies

and it would be rad.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

You see a dude in light armor with no shield waltz up to your company, point his sword at them, and enter a parrying stance, you SHOOT THAT FUCKER and under no circumstances engage in honorable dueling.

I learned that one the hard way.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Night10194 posted:

You see a dude in light armor with no shield waltz up to your company, point his sword at them, and enter a parrying stance, you SHOOT THAT FUCKER and under no circumstances engage in honorable dueling.

I learned that one the hard way.

We call this the Indiana Jones

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Well, I sure as poo poo just got a nice climactic ending to the Greenskin crisis.

Took a contract to break the greenskin siege of a big city. Took care of the siege engines easily enough, then hurried to help the soldier company that was fighting against two big greenskin groups. Arrived just when they were getting flanked with me in turn flanking the main enemy force, resulting in a huge chaotic furball melee. In the end there were 6 left of the originally 21 strong company, so I surely got there in a nick of time, like proper heroes!

Right after I turned in the contract, I heard the greenskin invasion had broken, so apparently their defeat in the Siege of Brammingborg was too much for them. Fulfilling the contract also brought me up to Allied relationship with the noble house, which in turn fulfilled my ambition, so I got a nice pile of loot as a reward. Or would have gotten, if my inventory hadn't been nearly full already so most of the new poo poo just vanished like a fart in the wind. :shepface: Fortunately the one thing that did fit in was the expensive pimp-rear end helmet. Still, it was cool and fitting. Almost like being knighted for saving all the realm, if sellswords cared for such bullshit.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

The best event. :kiddo:
e: Or maybe second best after the one where a Houndmaster finds a wolf buddy.

Although I'm now permanently down an inventory slot because I won't send an unarmored dog to his certain death; I have standards.

Hunt11 posted:

Out of curiosity is there any good approach to fighting whole groups of Honor Guard besides praying that they don't kill at least a couple of your elite brothers?
At what point in the game? They're all Fearsome so if they get through your armor fast enough to trigger Resolve checks pretty much immediately I just wouldn't do it.
In general groups of just Honor Guards and nothing else are small and most of them don't carry shields so you can pretty easily take a few of them out of the fight with mace specialists.

Nordick posted:

Fulfilling the contract also brought me up to Allied relationship with the noble house, which in turn fulfilled my ambition, so I got a nice pile of loot as a reward. Or would have gotten, if my inventory hadn't been nearly full already so most of the new poo poo just vanished like a fart in the wind. :shepface:
Man, I would have been so pissed. And reloaded instantly to sell some stuff. No way I'm doing all the poo poo it takes to get a noble house up to Allied without getting both the armor and helmet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Wizard Styles posted:

At what point in the game? They're all Fearsome so if they get through your armor fast enough to trigger Resolve checks pretty much immediately I just wouldn't do it.
In general groups of just Honor Guards and nothing else are small and most of them don't carry shields so you can pretty easily take a few of them out of the fight with mace specialists.

I should have been more clear. I am talking about 200+ days into the campaign where if you go hunting for treasure you can easily run into groups of 9 or so of them.