Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Crowsbeak posted:

Whether a candidate is liked doesn't really matter, what matters is if they have their party behind them.
Ah right that'd explain the massive UKIP majority we got out of 2015 then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

CoolCab posted:

the "labour didn't win, the conservatives lost!" narrative is sort of countered by voter turnout. if the contest was between two candidates their respective electorates didn't like we'd have depressed turnouts (see Trump/Clinton 2016 iirc). the exact opposite happened - both parties put more butts in booths than they had in decades - in labour's case in generations.
I dunno about that, if you look at '92 it had an enormous turnout relative to basically every election since, despite Major being boring and Kinnock being just complete shite.

quote:

despite the fact that the leadership candidates both had some abysmal personal ratings people did turn up to vote, which suggests people were engaged with the process - a ground game maybe, or better local candidates. this also has a significant demographic impact - if labour keeps winning every demo that was under 50 in 2017 they're in incredibly good shape.
If Labour kept winning every demo that was under 50 in 1964 things would have looked good in the '79 election. We'll see how it goes, I'm personally going to vote Labour but who knows what the future brings for the party.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

jBrereton posted:

Ah right that'd explain the massive UKIP majority we got out of 2015 then.

I like how when I bring up that the Blairites cannot be trusted you completely change the subject. Once again you obviously don't want to confront some profound truths. Also UKIP did remarkably well in 2015, they probably ensured that Cameron got the small majority he received So actually you're attempt to change the subject proves my point. Not that you'd ever recognize it because you've proven that you;d rather ignore anything that gets in the way of your rather simple minded narrative..

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Crowsbeak posted:

I like how when I bring up that the Blairites cannot be trusted you completely change the subject. Once again you obviously don't want to confront some profound truths.
wow weird correlation between you saying poo poo that betrays your ignorance of British politics and reality in general and me not talking about it. hosed up.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

jBrereton posted:

wow weird correlation between you saying poo poo that betrays your ignorance of British politics and reality in general and me not talking about it. hosed up.

I mean you're the one who just made my point by bringing up UKIP increasing it's voting share by almost 9% in 2015 by having a unified party. I like how you keep trying to change the subject from the problem of the Blairites. Say's alot about where your true priorities lie. Really the Labour party should purge both the open and closeted blairites. It's the only way they'll truly win.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
If internal party support was the be-all and end all, Ed Miliband would have won in 2015 (because the clown car of centrists that appeared in the leadership election only happened because there was no strong internal critical voice equivalent to say Bojo or the ERM boys in May's current Tory party).

The reason we had a brexit vote was because of David Cameron's insecurity about internal party support in a coalition government, but he went and won that majority anyway.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Crowsbeak posted:

I mean you're the one who just made my point by bringing up UKIP increasing it's voting share by almost 9% in 2015 by having a unified party. I like how you keep trying to change the subject from the problem of the Blairites. Say's alot about where your true priorities lie. Really the Labour party should purge both the open and closeted blairites. It's the only way they'll truly win.
Did it win in 1983 when the party was firmly behind Michael Foot?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

jBrereton posted:

Dude when you're trolling you're supposed to keep your lies kinda believable.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Cerebral Bore posted:

Dude when you're trolling you're supposed to keep your lies kinda believable.
Labour Party (not PLP) backed Foot to the hilt in 83. Shame about the SDP.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

jBrereton posted:

Labour Party (not PLP) backed Foot to the hilt in 83. Shame about the SDP.

And when you're fishmeching you're not supposed to mention the details that make your pedantic bullshit fall the gently caress apart.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Anyway Miliband was constantly briefed against by the Labour right.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Crowsbeak you know nothing about British politics. Jbrereton is particularly pessimistic right now with decent reason but you're showing your ignorance

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

jBrereton posted:

I dunno about that, if you look at '92 it had an enormous turnout relative to basically every election since, despite Major being boring and Kinnock being just complete shite.

lots of people voted in absolute terms sure but the swing in 2017 is the notable thing - 92 isn't much of an outlier compared to the elections before it while 2017 def is. and it's a bit apples to oranges- in 92 the lib dems got more than a fifth of the vote - 2017 was a bloodbath for any color other than red and blue (especially purple).

if people hated both parties (because they, fairly demonstrably, hated both their leaders) they'd have stayed home or voted third party - they did the opposite in droves

quote:

If Labour kept winning every demo that was under 50 in 1964 things would have looked good in the '79 election. We'll see how it goes, I'm personally going to vote Labour but who knows what the future brings for the party.

look, i sort of share your distaste for the triumphalism after 2017 and i am very sympathetic to the backlash - i think it's incredibly short sighted and counterproductive to say labour won because they didn't. with that said, it's equally as stupid to even imply by omission that the conservatives won because they didn't - they lost way harder.

but removing the agency from the labour party for doing well by playing up what a basketcase may was is disingenuous and equally counterproductive - the polls didn't loving move until the manifesto leaked, and a lot of the horrible poo poo that may did and put out as policy were things she was forced to do - there aren't tools in the conservative ideological toolkit to pay for social care, for example. it was going to be something unpopular or she'd have to shut up about it and duck debates - this is a consequence of a good opposition party.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

a solid labour majority is impossible without scotland, and scottish labour is a tire fire that can't be cleaned up by westminister labour without drawing heat from the usual suspects about english meddling

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

jBrereton posted:

Hmm, this doesn't in anyway sound like something I'd hear out of someone from Progress.

Crowsbeak has issued a correction as of 01:48 on Aug 23, 2018

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007
https://twitter.com/Jeremy_Hunt/status/1032360933824389120

oval office who makes peter sutcliffe's death count look like a joke enjoys a quiet chat with no scrutiny. (Not even getting started on kissinger)

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out
jbereton, how many times do you have to lose this argument before you accept that you are wrong?

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said
The fact that the massive shift in 2017 predictions (sweeping tory gains, imminent collapse of the labour party) versus outcomes (net loss of tory seats, soaring labour hopes) made not one iota’s worth of difference to the view that ‘Corbyn is unpopular’ with a certain type of commentator tells you everything you need to know.

They couldn’t even bring themselves to admit he was perhaps ‘less unpopular’ than previously stated. It’s a foundational belief that all other facts must be arranged around.

Rustybear has issued a correction as of 12:26 on Aug 23, 2018

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

They want the Labour Party to follow the lead of basically every centre-left party in the world and fade into irrelevance :ssh:.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

the government finally published its no deal brexit planning paper and shock horror everything is hosed if it happens

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/newkindpolitics/status/1032621109810745344

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
https://twitter.com/JewishChron/status/1032660098366300160

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

the jewish chronicle editor wrote a glowing book review for douglas murray in the jewish chronicle lol

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
When is the brexit deal deadline?

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

twoday posted:

https://howmanydaystill.com/its/brexit-6

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

twoday posted:

March, but practically they have about three months to hammer out a deal and begin implementing it.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Thread title needs to he changed

https://twitter.com/bronzehammer/status/1033006286298865664?s=21

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
bashing one out for britaine right now

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
It’s gonna be even worse once everyone’s knobs rot off

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

DesperateDan posted:

bashing one out for britaine right now

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

I would not like to know more.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

British seed is a thin, watery gruel. without imports of powerful, vital sperm from the lands of the hirsute Nord, your ladyfolk will remain flat-bellied and your lands will fall fallow

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

the stock pile the us lend leased you guys back in the 40s was supposed to last another 20 years ffs

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

imagine how high the sperm tariffs will be

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

emergency cummies shortage as British daddies are forced to work twice as hard. many princesses will go un-squishy

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

etalian posted:

imagine how high the sperm tariffs will be
WTO rules say, incredibly, 69%

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Agean90 posted:

the stock pile the us lend leased you guys back in the 40s was supposed to last another 20 years ffs

The British obesity epidemic suddenly makes sense

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

British seed is a thin, watery gruel. without imports of powerful, vital sperm from the lands of the hirsute Nord, your ladyfolk will remain flat-bellied and your lands will fall fallow

With the amount of takeaways and fast food places here no chance of that.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
The British aren't coming! The British aren't coming!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Avirosb posted:

The British aren't coming! The British aren't coming!