Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

There was an article somewhere that argued that in reality jocks like LeBron James, Terry Crews Kaepernik are role-models, while most high-profile nerds are creeps like Chris Hardwick and Ol Musky boy.

I had a point to make here, but I forgot, but I can say the worst kind of nerd is the one who regurgitates other media verbatim but misses the underlying message, ex. Ernest Cline

Sounds pretty dumb given we've had plenty of jocks turn out to be rapists and murderers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
The nerds fall behind because they don't go outside

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

There was an article somewhere that argued that in reality jocks like LeBron James, Terry Crews Kaepernik are role-models, while most high-profile nerds are creeps like Chris Hardwick and Ol Musky boy.

OJ
Mike Tyson
Michael Vick
Eddie Johnson
Lawrence Taylor
Darryl Strawberry
Darren Sharper

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

The BBT probably pisses off as many people who want to look up the subject of universe's inception as those interested in Henry Gray's anatomy of the human body.

I'm not a doctor but I assume there's something glaringly wrong with GA? Is it because it's a product of its time and full of outdated stuff? I don't really know how you could gently caress up drawing anatomical sketches though

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Milo and POTUS posted:

I'm not a doctor but I assume there's something glaringly wrong with GA? Is it because it's a product of its time and full of outdated stuff? I don't really know how you could gently caress up drawing anatomical sketches though

It's because you'd only find info on the show Gray's Anatomy and not the actual research. Nothing to do with Henry Gray himself.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Krispy Wafer posted:

when her sister got eaten by wolves

lol

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Krispy Wafer posted:

Raymond is a traditional sitcom so there's no character arcs and we're always going to be dealing with Ray's same issues with his family. Occasionally there's an emotional breakthrough, but then it's forgotten about, so you can randomly watch any episode and still know exactly what's going on. Fraiser is the same way except sometimes Niles gets laid.

My wife is rewatching the entirety of Grey's Anatomy again and if Meredith Grey was a real person she would have eaten a bullet by now. If not when her sister got eaten by wolves then certainly after her husband died.

This is a doctor show, right? Was the hospital invaded by wolves?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Leavemywife posted:

This is a doctor show, right? Was the hospital invaded by wolves?

I think they crash landed a plane or something in the wilderness. All I have ever heard about Grey's makes it sound absurdly batshit.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Arivia posted:

I think they crash landed a plane or something in the wilderness. All I have ever heard about Grey's makes it sound absurdly batshit.

The only thing I know is that Sam and Dean's dad was a ghost that haunted the halls

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Iron Crowned posted:

The only thing I know is that Sam and Dean's dad was a ghost that haunted the halls

I looked it up and she died from the plane crash, the wolves just ate her body.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
None of that makes it any clearer as to what the gently caress is going on with that show. But, hey, I've got something to bring up to people if they ever talk about the show!

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
On a scale of 1 to “the dog ate the donor heart while everyone watched” how would you rate the show’s level of crazy?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The best doctor/hospital show was Diagnosis: Murder.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Wheat Loaf posted:

The best doctor/hospital show was Diagnosis: Murder.

So good I didn't even mind Barry van Dyke being in it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It was part of that weird pseudo-shared TV show universe from the 80s and 90s when loads of shows were arbitrarily connected because they all had nested pilots as episodes of other shows; it spun out of an episode of Jake and the Fatman of all things (one of the seemingly hundreds of shows where William Conrad plays a variation on Nero Wolfe). I'm fairly sure Jake and the Fatman itself spun out of Matlock or something, which probably spun out of something else.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Wheat Loaf posted:

It was part of that weird pseudo-shared TV show universe from the 80s and 90s when loads of shows were arbitrarily connected because they all had nested pilots as episodes of other shows; it spun out of an episode of Jake and the Fatman of all things (one of the seemingly hundreds of shows where William Conrad plays a variation on Nero Wolfe). I'm fairly sure Jake and the Fatman itself spun out of Matlock or something, which probably spun out of something else.

Don't forget sweeps week! There was always a reason for the cast of MacGuyver to cross over with Head of the Class!

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Which, of course, leads to the Greater Every TV Show Was An Autistic Dream Of That One Kid From St. Elsewhere Theory.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Toshimo posted:

OJ
Mike Tyson
Michael Vick
Eddie Johnson
Lawrence Taylor
Darryl Strawberry
Darren Sharper

Famous men in general are pretty poo poo but for a long time famous "nerds" got a pass for entirely too long

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Nerds have always had a trash streak a mile wide, because they are entitled men who see other men getting what they want and feel persecuted for it.

Revenge of the Nerds is all about a rapist convincing a black man that nerds are a minority that is seriously discriminated against, and both things are presented as justified triumphs.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Mu Zeta posted:

Big Bang Theory is the longest running multicam sitcom in history.

:psyduck: Really? I never saw the show until I had to stay with my in-laws for a few months last year, and they turned it on every night when we gathered around the dinner table --- even though they hated it (for even deeper level of :psyduck:); I guess they were just a couple in their early 70's who had Stockholm Syndrome of always putting channel 7 on at dinner time, idk. I should be in BBT's target demographic, I'm a big ol' comics/sci-fi/internet geek, but I absolutely hated it. Could well be because of the situation I was in while introduced to it (dinner with Trump-loving in-laws is never pleasant). But the fact that it's been on that long, and that well-received, it blows my mind.

I'm an old fart who grew up with shows like MASH and The Jeffersons and All In the Family, and, later, The Simpsons and Friends on during the 6pm syndicated tv dinner hour. If I win the lottery, I'm making a channel that will be basically that. (Essentially, what Nickelodeon used to be, if anyone here remembers what Nick at Nite was)

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

JacquelineDempsey posted:

:psyduck: Really? I never saw the show until I had to stay with my in-laws for a few months last year, and they turned it on every night when we gathered around the dinner table --- even though they hated it (for even deeper level of :psyduck:); I guess they were just a couple in their early 70's who had Stockholm Syndrome of always putting channel 7 on at dinner time, idk. I should be in BBT's target demographic, I'm a big ol' comics/sci-fi/internet geek, but I absolutely hated it. Could well be because of the situation I was in while introduced to it (dinner with Trump-loving in-laws is never pleasant). But the fact that it's been on that long, and that well-received, it blows my mind.

I'm an old fart who grew up with shows like MASH and The Jeffersons and All In the Family, and, later, The Simpsons and Friends on during the 6pm syndicated tv dinner hour. If I win the lottery, I'm making a channel that will be basically that. (Essentially, what Nickelodeon used to be, if anyone here remembers what Nick at Nite was)

Check for over-the-air digital substations. There are a few that hit shows in that arc. FXX has exclusive rights to The Simpsons for now.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The target demographic are people that just want to veg out for a while. I've seen like 4 episodes and there aren't any real jokes. It's Sheldon saying "Microsoft" in a goofy voice and then he pauses for the raucous laughter. Even if you hate McDonald's chicken nuggets you still have to admire how they can consistently manufacture billions of them on time to the same quality.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Mu Zeta posted:

The target demographic are people that just want to veg out for a while. I've seen like 4 episodes and there aren't any real jokes. It's Sheldon saying "Microsoft" in a goofy voice and then he pauses for the raucous laughter. Even if you hate McDonald's chicken nuggets you still have to admire how they can consistently manufacture billions of them on time to the same quality.

I love when they were desperately going around saying "NO NO NO SHELDON'S NOT AUTISTIC" and Parsons was just like "Actually, I've been playing him like he is this entire time...."

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Mu Zeta posted:

Even if you hate McDonald's chicken nuggets you still have to admire how they can consistently manufacture billions of them on time to the same quality.

Its not that hard to mass produce poo poo.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Alhazred posted:

Here's a video about the Big Bang Theory and misogyny: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3-hOigoxHs&t=527s

There's another video, possibly from this thread, where someone removed the laughtrack. You think the shows a chore to watch now? Try it without the fake laughter, it actually gets WORSE.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

JacquelineDempsey posted:

(Essentially, what Nickelodeon used to be, if anyone here remembers what Nick at Nite was)

If you’re talking ‘90s Nick at Nite, wow. I was the only 10-15ish aged kid I knew that watched that stuff willingly. I loved it. I guess I assumed there were already plenty of nostalgia channels out there, but I don’t really seek them out.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

BioEnchanted posted:

It's because you'd only find info on the show Gray's Anatomy and not the actual research. Nothing to do with Henry Gray himself.

Oh, lol. I've been dumb as hell all day. More so than usual i mean

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

El Gallinero Gros posted:

There's another video, possibly from this thread, where someone removed the laughtrack. You think the shows a chore to watch now? Try it without the fake laughter, it actually gets WORSE.

In those videos, they removed all of the audience's reactions. They claim they do not enhance it with canned laughter or use it at all.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Something made me think about the Lexx and specifically the last season took place on Earth, upon which many of various space assholes and horny cannibals the cast met during the show the show were reborn due to the afterlife being blown up.

So how well has the late Clinton/early Bush satire aged? The comment early on that the planet is smack in the middle of a the Dark Universe, and the main cast comments a lot how this planet is uniquely awful even when compared to the other over-the-top horrible planets they've been to, and even being a lot younger and less politically aware, I got a kind of tryhard vibe. "What if we comment on today's events but everyone FUCKS and then they get MURDERED because they were STUPID."

I can see it having aged poorly or, given the time we live in, very well.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Iron Crowned posted:

Which is clearly inaccurate, because everyone knows that ghosts are stored in the balls.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Nutsngum posted:

Thank you, these pro raymond posts were sending me nuts. The show is down right terrible and portrays everyone horridly. Debra the wife is an incessentantly bitchy stereotype who hates sex and shits on here husband at every second, the parents are just utter assholes to each other others for no reason and Raymond himself is an awkward selfish rear end who I never felt any sympathy for. The brother has the least character flaws apart from just being a broken person.

Fuuuuck that show.

Yeah that was always how I felt watching it. I couldn't stand any of the characters except kinda Robert. But the only character I like being the one that gets poo poo on just makes it even more unwatchable.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Sitcoms don't really work if everybody is sane, well adjusted, and acts like a normal person.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Sitcoms don't really work if everybody is sane, well adjusted, and acts like a normal person.

They can but it’s a lot harder, especially as time goes on.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Mister Kingdom posted:

In those videos, they removed all of the audience's reactions. They claim they do not enhance it with canned laughter or use it at all.

Not to say that BBT doesn't sweeten/enhance/prompt the laughter but removing it and leaving the silences in there is a really terrible 'proof'. If you did that to the funniest stand up comedian in the world it'd make a lot of the jokes seem really flat and weird.

BBT is bad though, although I don't understand the hate for it. If it's bad, just don't watch it?

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
I can watch MASH any time I like but it's the version with the laugh track.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Volcott posted:

I can watch MASH any time I like but it's the version with the laugh track.

I've watched them all so many times they are like old friends and removing the laugh track makes them feel very wrong to me

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Dr Christmas posted:

Something made me think about the Lexx and specifically the last season took place on Earth, upon which many of various space assholes and horny cannibals the cast met during the show the show were reborn due to the afterlife being blown up.

So how well has the late Clinton/early Bush satire aged? The comment early on that the planet is smack in the middle of a the Dark Universe, and the main cast comments a lot how this planet is uniquely awful even when compared to the other over-the-top horrible planets they've been to, and even being a lot younger and less politically aware, I got a kind of tryhard vibe. "What if we comment on today's events but everyone FUCKS and then they get MURDERED because they were STUPID."

I can see it having aged poorly or, given the time we live in, very well.

Lexx season four is great. :colbert:

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Spalec posted:

Not to say that BBT doesn't sweeten/enhance/prompt the laughter but removing it and leaving the silences in there is a really terrible 'proof'. If you did that to the funniest stand up comedian in the world it'd make a lot of the jokes seem really flat and weird.

BBT is bad though, although I don't understand the hate for it. If it's bad, just don't watch it?

Are standup studio albums no longer a thing? The beat Carlin was recorded without an audience.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Spalec posted:

Mostly because it's inescapable with the merchandise and catchphrases and all the millennials who can't afford to move out have to put up with their parents watching it loud in the living room. Even before you get everyone being compared to the cast members.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I feel like this was probably posted several pages ago, but gently caress it, here it is again anyway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyGAc-OLAiQ