Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Joey Freshwater posted:

poo poo I heard that but didn't even think about it because I thought it was a joke about Cable only having one eye. That's good

I just thought it was a dick joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Joey Freshwater posted:

I watched DP2 again last night and I guess I missed it the first time but he definitely calls Cable "Thanos" at one point.
I was waiting for a Thanos joke the whole movie. Worth it.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

iajanus posted:

I just thought it was a dick joke

The fact that it can be a dick joke, a reference to Cable's cyborg eye and a Goonies reference is why Deadpool 2 is awesome.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

jabby posted:

The fact that it can be a dick joke, a reference to Cable's cyborg eye and a Goonies reference is why Deadpool 2 is awesome.

Agreed

tallest crocodile
Sep 10, 2011

How a TV show about Pre-historic life would reconstruct a goon.
I just watched They Look Like People last night and one of the things I didn’t catch until halfway through the movie was that every time Wyatt got one of the late-night phone calls, there are no lights emitting from his phone, indicating that it’s not actually turned on. Later this seems to be confirmed when Christian says he’s been ringing Wyatt’s cell but there was no answer, and Wyatt says that he thinks he broke it or something like that. It’s a strong clue that Wyatt might just be imagining everything.

Honestly, I thought it was really good about keeping the tension going throughout the whole movie, especially with how small and restrained their budget and sets were.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

peer posted:

is there a superhero whose power is extreme bad luck for both themselves and anyone around them, like a low-luck character in fallout 1 & 2? Because I'd want to see a movie about that

Longshot has both good and bad luck, for himself and others.

Like all comics it depends on the writer.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Ferrule posted:

Longshot has both good and bad luck, for himself and others.

Like all comics it depends on the writer.

I think they switched that around in a recent mini (written by forums own Dr McNinja) that the luck only goes bad if he uses the power for his own benefit

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Scaramouche posted:

I think they switched that around in a recent mini (written by forums own Dr McNinja) that the luck only goes bad if he uses the power for his own benefit

Or too much. It's actually been there from the start. It just, again, relies on the writer. Sometimes when he uses for good it causes bad for others (like taking their luck away) or the afore-mentioned selfishness.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Something I always find interesting is a failed experiment, where you can tell that they were trying something interesting but didn't have the budget or time to do it right, like Jafar's villain song in Return of Jafar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jhj25HnpSRU

It's obvious that they were going for something, a dark mirror, musically, lyrically and visually, to Friend like Me, but unlike Friend like Me's big budget animation and flair, they only had minimal budget or time or even talent to work with so was unable to do it justice. Compare to the best sequel, Cinderella 3: a Twist in Time's animation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOqvFODdRco

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3LvP10KFeI

They had ideas too, but also had the budget to back them up.

Failed experiments are always interesting. There was also Danny Elfman's attempt at shopping around a solo movie, (ie: without Burton), called Little Demons but it never got picked up, so all that exist of it are an orphaned soundtrack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GU39NGPbIFM

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

BioEnchanted posted:

Something I always find interesting is a failed experiment, where you can tell that they were trying something interesting but didn't have the budget or time to do it right, like Jafar's villain song in Return of Jafar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jhj25HnpSRU

This reminds me of that trailer for the new Mummy film where they'd forgotten to add all the sound effects for a place crash seen so it just sounded like a dude grunting

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I liked how in 'Spider-Man: Homecoming' when they introduce Peter Parker going to school, the song playing in the background is "The Underdog" by Spoon, even though you don't hear the lyrics, they're very appropriate:

You got no time for the messenger
Got no regard for the thing that you don't understand
You got no fear of the underdog
That's why you will not survive

I love when a show plays an instrumental version of a song that's pretty on-the-nose, lyrically or thematically, with what's happening onscreen but only if you recognize the song and know the lyrics. 'Westworld' does this so much.

Imagined has a new favorite as of 14:19 on Aug 24, 2018

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
"Try to picture yourself in the Cretaceous Period. You get your first look at this "six-foot turkey" as you enter a clearing. He moves like a bird, lightly bobbing his head, and you keep still because you think his visual acuity is based on movement like T. Rex and he'll lose you if you don't move, but no, not Velociraptor. You stare at him, and he just stares right back, and that's when the attack comes, not from the front, but from the side, from the other two raptors you didn't even know were there. Because Velociraptor's a pack hunter you see, he uses coordinated attack patterns, and he is out in force today. And he slashes at you with this: a six-inch retractable claw, like a razor, on the middle toe. He doesn't bother to bite your jugular like a lion, see? No no, he slashes at you here, or here. Or maybe across the belly, spilling your intestines. Point is, you are alive when they start to eat you. So, you know, try to show a little respect?"

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
That.. was not subtle though? It was explicitly described as their hunting methodology.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's a nice callback though and it's portrayed visually which is nice. There's more to subtlety than just "hey here's a thing you didn't notice but it's totally wild when you think about it!" which is what can happen a lot in this thread. Sometimes a subtle moment can be a well choreographed shot calling back to an earlier line without it being blatant and overt. Setup and payoff without the need to remind the audience of Grant's speech at the start of the film.

If you want to see unsubtle just look at Jurassic Park 3. Grant and Billy are messing around with a 3d printed raptor resonance chamber and then later having Grant stop dead in his tracks as a trapped raptor starts clearly calling for help so he can stare at the camera and say "he's calling for help!" Duh, Grant.

Arc Hammer has a new favorite as of 06:47 on Aug 24, 2018

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Arcsquad12 posted:

"Try to picture yourself in the Cretaceous Period. You get your first look at this "six-foot turkey" as you enter a clearing. He moves like a bird, lightly bobbing his head, and you keep still because you think his visual acuity is based on movement like T. Rex and he'll lose you if you don't move, but no, not Velociraptor. You stare at him, and he just stares right back, and that's when the attack comes, not from the front, but from the side, from the other two raptors you didn't even know were there. Because Velociraptor's a pack hunter you see, he uses coordinated attack patterns, and he is out in force today. And he slashes at you with this: a six-inch retractable claw, like a razor, on the middle toe. He doesn't bother to bite your jugular like a lion, see? No no, he slashes at you here, or here. Or maybe across the belly, spilling your intestines. Point is, you are alive when they start to eat you. So, you know, try to show a little respect?"

Am I the only one who think's he should have just taken the shot at the one he was aiming at anyway. I know, self preservation. But you're pretty hosed at that point anyway.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Milo and POTUS posted:

Am I the only one who think's he should have just taken the shot at the one he was aiming at anyway. I know, self preservation. But you're pretty hosed at that point anyway.

That'd just be unethical. Muldoon's a proper game warden aka a conservation officer, he's not gonna shoot an animal if it won't make a difference.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Muldoon, aka, Mr They should all be destoryed aka Dinosaur Hitler? Yeah, sure, ok bud.

New Wave Jose
Aug 20, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

I find it weird that the raptor don't immediately jump on him, it show it's face for 2-3 second and then jump

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

New Wave Jose posted:

I find it weird that the raptor don't immediately jump on him, it show it's face for 2-3 second and then jump

Raptors are assholes

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Milo and POTUS posted:

Muldoon, aka, Mr They should all be destoryed aka Dinosaur Hitler? Yeah, sure, ok bud.

That was before he realized they were clever girls :colbert:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The raptors in Jurassic Park and on Isla Sorna are sadists, and they have been since the books.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

no, theyre just big ol turkeys

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Milo and POTUS posted:

He was specifically talking about the raptors, as he felt they could not safely be kept in captivity.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Krankenstyle posted:

no, theyre just big ol turkeys

Thats what he said

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Biplane posted:

Thats what he said

fair

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Smiling Jack posted:

He was specifically talking about the raptors, as he felt they could not safely be kept in captivity.

Sure thing Goebbels.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Don't you mean Gobbles?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Arcsquad12 posted:

Don't you mean Gobbles?

I'm just going to take a minute to put an idea into your head.

A pet gerbil named Gosef.

Gosef Jerbils.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Phy posted:

I'm just going to take a minute to put an idea into your head.

A pet gerbil named Gosef.

Gosef Jerbils.

We had a thing going here with the turkeys until you hosed it all up.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Biplane posted:

We had a thing going here with the turkeys until you hosed it all up.
title of ur sex tape

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Peeny Cheez posted:

title of ur sex tape

dont u mean gobble gobble: clever girl part deux

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Milo and POTUS posted:

In the novel he was blowing them away with a rocket launcher

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

That seems entirely reasonable due to their size/weird/likely toughness.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I'm pretty sure that was the lawyer. I remember in the novel the lawyer not only lives, but kills multiple raptors with rockets.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Both of them do, actually.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I re-watched Superman 78 last night for the first time in forever and noticed a lot of stuff I didn't pick up on as a kid. Reeve is really terrific in the role and the little things he does with his posture and face are subtle but really sell the difference between Clark and Superman. For some reason, I never got the gag with him trying to open the perrier bottle. Movie had its problems but Reeve is masterful.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

BiggerBoat posted:

I re-watched Superman 78 last night for the first time in forever and noticed a lot of stuff I didn't pick up on as a kid. Reeve is really terrific in the role and the little things he does with his posture and face are subtle but really sell the difference between Clark and Superman. For some reason, I never got the gag with him trying to open the perrier bottle. Movie had its problems but Reeve is masterful.

He really sells that Clark and Supes are two different people

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Yeah it's the only film version that makes sense of why no one wonders why the "mild mannered reporter" is built like a brick shithouse.

A lot of the superhero movies are having to deal with the fact that someone who has a good job with a newspaper nowadays is harder to believe than superpowers. Spider Man didn't mention it at all this time.

Hattie Masters
Aug 29, 2012

COMICS CRIMINAL
Grimey Drawer

Imagined posted:

A lot of the superhero movies are having to deal with the fact that someone who has a good job with a newspaper nowadays is harder to believe than superpowers. Spider Man didn't mention it at all this time.

Which is ironic because Peter's job with the Bugle is probably the most believable one nowadays, what with him being paid chump change for photos of Spider-Man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Hattie Masters posted:

Which is ironic because Peter's job with the Bugle is probably the most believable one nowadays, what with him being paid chump change for photos of Spider-Man.

He would just sell them to BuzzFeed for pennies. If that. They would probably just borrow them for free.