Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

gently caress yeah Onion's space-jamming today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Tony Gunk posted:

Uhhhhh...isn't this provision like the most popular part of the ACA? Not going to be a very effective response if Democrats can just say "your bill will take away insurance from people who have pre-existing conditions".

If they don't subsidize insurance markets in any meaningful way, leaving it in will take insurance away from the entire middle class who will no longer be able to afford the premiums.

They're literally screwed no matter what they do.

LegendaryFrog
Oct 8, 2006

The Mastered Mind

Rigel posted:

At this point, we need McCain to live past the first week of January. (Unless the current shitlord residing in the AZ governor's mansion wins re-election in which case it won't matter)

If we have a Dem governor when McCain dies, then that will be amusing. He will have to pick a Republican who was registered as a republican at the time McCain was elected, but he's free to pick the most RINO republican possible or some recently converted Democrat who forgot to change his registration.

The likelihood of that happening with him having given up treatment is pretty close to 0.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Spiritus Nox posted:

If Beto O'Rourke loses narrowly to Cruz he should unironically run for President in 2020. He's a great campaigner.

I'm almost tempted to say that he should do it even if he narrowly wins.
It would put the bubbas in a weird position down here, stuck between Grr Libruls and Go Texas. it's far from certain that they'd vote for him in sufficient numbers to flip the state, then again just having the opportunity to vote for a real Texan rather than a carpetbagger like Bush might be worth a few points by itself.

That said I'd far prefer him win narrow or otherwise just to get Ted loving Cruz out of the news forever.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

I... I... My god...

My first instinct was that actual Democratic operatives should be smart enough to keep a snake like Avenatti out of the hen house, but why would that be the case? I try to avoid too much Dems Bad, but this is awful.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Chilichimp posted:

If they don't subsidize insurance markets in any meaningful way, leaving it in will take insurance away from the entire middle class who will no longer be able to afford the premiums.

They're literally screwed no matter what they do.

Yeah Obamacare was a real piece of poo poo legislation

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Are you ready for Biden Avenatti 2020

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Rotten Red Rod posted:

See this is why I kind of want Oprah to run. She's not my ideal candidate but if this kind of bullshit is what the DNC is cozying up to instead of more progressive candidates I'll get behind her instead any day.

This is not really happening

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

sexpig by night posted:

who's 'rushing' to support him other than the kinds of losers who go to DNC meetings and would literally vote for a piece of dogshit with a D next to its name

Can't I just be angry that those people exist at all

If we have to have President Oprah ok goddammit but I don't have to like it

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Spiritus Nox posted:

If Beto O'Rourke loses narrowly to Cruz he should unironically run for President in 2020. He's a great campaigner.

If this loser who lost a campaign loses, hes not a great campaigner

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Hopefully avenatti runs so he splits the vote between centrist losers

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Terror Sweat posted:

But what if .... different races have different criteria for winning and some are easier than others. Just imagine.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
I really don't think Avenatti has a chance in the primary process. He may be an interesting bomb thrower, but i really doubt he will poll anywhere near the top 3.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Terror Sweat posted:

Indeed, Beto O'Rourke is on track to join the rank of talentless, loser dems who can't even win easy statewide races in Texas, just like Barack Obama

Skex posted:

I'm almost tempted to say that he should do it even if he narrowly wins.
It would put the bubbas in a weird position down here, stuck between Grr Libruls and Go Texas. it's far from certain that they'd vote for him in sufficient numbers to flip the state, then again just having the opportunity to vote for a real Texan rather than a carpetbagger like Bush might be worth a few points by itself.

That said I'd far prefer him win narrow or otherwise just to get Ted loving Cruz out of the news forever.

Nah, if Beto wins his Senate seat he should definitely hold off. Keeping Texas purple/blue for 6 years is too juicy to pass up, and skimping out on a senate term to run for something else two years later would be a bad look.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
There are going to be like 20+ candidates in 2020.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Nobody but reistance grifters, the people who follow them, and the Extremely Online actually know who he is

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I really don't think Avenatti has a chance in the primary process. He may be an interesting bomb thrower, but i really doubt he will poll anywhere near the top 3.

I'm not really worried about him actually winning the primary, but the fact that he wasn't politely greeted and then shown the door is pretty damning of whoever was at that DNC meeting.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Potato Salad posted:

Has she actually loving come out as a god drat candidate yet?

She keeps saying no.

Real candidates do not declare before the midterms. Right now, what you do if you want to be a candidate is help out as many people in the midterms (via campaigning or fundraising) as possible, accumulating support. You also get donors/fundraisers/etc committed to you (if you run). Then, the people who have done well at both of those are taken seriously as candidates, anyone who didn't is not.

If you're campaigning for yourself this early, you do a bad job at the first part (campaigning for other people) and give the impression you're more focused on yourself than on building up the party as a whole.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

No Safe Word posted:

But what if .... different races have different criteria for winning and some are easier than others. Just imagine.

I’m in favour of evidence based politics, and all evidence is pointing to him being a loser who can’t beat Canadian slime

Sinistral
Jan 2, 2013

Flip Yr Wig posted:

I... I... My god...

My first instinct was that actual Democratic operatives should be smart enough to keep a snake like Avenatti out of the hen house, but why would that be the case? I try to avoid too much Dems Bad, but this is awful.

It’s a bullshit clickbait article about people being thirsty for the dude, he has no more support then Oprah, Zuckerberg or whatever dumb gimmick candidate the media gets gets excited and then forgets about. If your going to react like this about every flash in the pan “candidate” to get this treatment you’re in for a rough two years.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mcmagic posted:

There are going to be like 20+ candidates in 2020.

there are 20+ candidates right now. most won't make it through the invisible primary, and will know well ahead of the time to declare their candidacy that if they do run it will be an embarrassing failure that will end any future hopes of running. i would guess you're going to have more like 8-12 candidates with no more than 6 or so with a genuine shot.

the wild card is how many self-funded billionaires just go gently caress it, i'm better than trump and it worked for him I'm running, since you can't weed them out via the invisible primary

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
What I like is how the Democrats are simultaneously controlling manipulative smoke-filled-rooms people who just won't let a progressive through BUT ALSO a random lawyer from the TV is going to charge to the front of the pack and win the nomination

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Terror Sweat posted:

Yeah Obamacare was a real piece of poo poo legislation

Obamacare guaranteed coverage for preexisting conditions and established a system to pay for it by requiring young, healthy individuals to buy health insurance.

The republicans blew the mandate up, so now insurance is gonna death spiral. Unless they add some means by which to subsidize the cost ripple effect of guaranteed coverage, insurance will become too expensive for most people to afford. In short, killing the pre-existing condition coverage is inevitable under the Republican vision for healthcare. They want to return us to the slow death spirals from before the ACA.

This issue is going to loving kill their base (literally and figuratively).

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Spiritus Nox posted:

Nah, if Beto wins his Senate seat he should definitely hold off. Keeping Texas purple/blue for 6 years is too juicy to pass up, and skimping out on a senate term to run for something else two years later would be a bad look.

He doesn't have to resign to run. He only has to resign if he becomes President. And having him run as the Democratic nominee in 2020 would probably do a whole lot more to move Texas to purple than staying as a Senator.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

theflyingorc posted:

What I like is how the Democrats are simultaneously controlling manipulative smoke-filled-rooms people who just won't let a progressive through BUT ALSO a random lawyer from the TV is going to charge to the front of the pack and win the nomination

I mean pretty much what is guaranteed to happen is they will pick their preferred "safe" candidate whose "time" it is, groom them, rally behind them, and then have them be crushed by whatever rich celebrity decides they can do it if Trump did it.

Chilichimp posted:

Not if they keep blaming the problems on Obamacare itself instead of their fiddling with it. A lot of people have really bought into that, mostly just because of the nickname

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
If Beto beats Cruz he should definitely run for the Democratic presidential nomination

He probably shouldn't get it but he should take his shot

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

sexpig by night posted:

who's 'rushing' to support him other than the kinds of losers who go to DNC meetings and would literally vote for a piece of dogshit with a D next to its name

People who go to DNC meetings are all losers!

Why is the DNC an echo chamber where none of them agree with me? I'm voting third party!

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

evilweasel posted:

He doesn't have to resign to run.

Ah, I didn't know that. That changes the calculus.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I like how people are rushing to support avenatti when his policy agenda is "gently caress Trump" and nothing else, and yet Warren puts out a massive anti-political-corruption policy agenda and she's ignored, and Bernie gets dismissed as too old.

Yeah haw hottie avenatti because voting for president is grade school class president and nothing else

Avenatti isn't going to make it to Iowa and Warren isn't being ignored.

Relax.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Chilichimp posted:

Obamacare guaranteed coverage for preexisting conditions and established a system to pay for it by requiring young, healthy individuals to buy health insurance.

The republicans blew the mandate up, so now insurance is gonna death spiral. Unless they add some means by which to subsidize the cost ripple effect of guaranteed coverage, insurance will become too expensive for most people to afford. In short, killing the pre-existing condition coverage is inevitable under the Republican vision for healthcare. They want to return us to the slow death spirals from before the ACA.

Boomers: Millenials are all lazy, unemployed, and entitled, but I am going to base my entire survival around them floating the economy enough to pay for my bloated medical bills

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

TheDisreputableDog posted:

It's true, only by destroying our own capacity for empathy can we beat Trump.

It's okay to hate your abusers. It's okay to be happy and to celebrate when they're dead. Celebrating the death of someone who is harming other people is peak empathy.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Terror Sweat posted:

I’m in favour of evidence based politics, and all evidence is pointing to him being a loser who can’t beat Canadian slime

Hence Cruz beating everyone in Iowa early in 2016 meant everyone else should have just dropped out because the others were losers who couldn't beat Canadian slime

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Cruz will run for President in 2020.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Terror Sweat posted:

Shouldn't you be out on a ledge somewhere?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Also my primary vote is going to the first candidate to insult gamers.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/Kredo0/status/1033079773839466496

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

evilweasel posted:

Real candidates do not declare before the midterms. Right now, what you do if you want to be a candidate is help out as many people in the midterms (via campaigning or fundraising) as possible, accumulating support. You also get donors/fundraisers/etc committed to you (if you run). Then, the people who have done well at both of those are taken seriously as candidates, anyone who didn't is not.

If you're campaigning for yourself this early, you do a bad job at the first part (campaigning for other people) and give the impression you're more focused on yourself than on building up the party as a whole.

Also Warren in particular is up for re-election...

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

I'm US Aid to the Palestinian Authority

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Oh has he come around on his anti-marijuana stance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
Holy poo poo the Onion is killing it

• Locked thread