Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

Is Nicki still with Eminem?

lmao wait was that real?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Yuzenn posted:

I'd also go with Jill Scott, Lauryn Hill and the Roots as well

Don't forget Cody Chesnutt.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
let me you on to some stronk poo poo

sa-ra

3peat
May 6, 2010

the Joe Budden podcast gonna be spotify exclusive

temple
Jul 29, 2006

is it quavo season?

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

temple posted:

is it quavo season?

When Migos popped, we talked about Quavo leaving em behind and blowing up solo. For awhile there it looked like that would be the case, but Takeoff and Offset really stepped up. Offset especially. So, it’s Quavo’s whenever he wants it but I don’t think he’s being burdened by the other 2 like it used to be.

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Winner, SA's Sikh Of the Year, 2013

That's a lovely verse from Fab, enjoyed this and Puff probably loved it too

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

MrSargent posted:

I'll check out some more Erykah Badu and Maxwell but I have already gone through Tribe and Common's discography (which is excellent). Common and Tribe are more on the rap side though and I was hoping to find something closer to the R&B side of vocals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zgp6-DzZgK0

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

MrSargent posted:

I listened to D'Angelo's Brown Sugar this morning and wow. Between that album and Voodoo, I have become a huge fan of his and was wondering if anyone had suggestions for R&B that is similar. Specifically, I really like the production style and how it works with his vocals. It almost feels like hip-hop, just smoother with a sort of sing-rapping style. Don't really care if its older R&B or newer stuff.

Neo-soul was really big for a brief minute there. IMO the best album of that style is Baduism which is basically perfect. Bilal's first album had that sound (and tbh I prefer to D'Angelo although that could be partially me just being contrarian). Michel'le also had a lot of that vibe although she kinda predates the neo-soul trend (as an aside, both her album and Bilal were produced by Dre). Maxwell's another with that sound, although compared to the others he's much more cool and...intellectual which can be god or ad depending on your tastes. Doesn't have the rawness, the emotion of a lot of the others. Musiq's also in that vein although I think he's lacking compared to the others. Lauryn Hill also has a similar vibe although I always thought she was more actual rap than r&b but either way it's one of the best albums of whatever genre you'd consider it and should check it out.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQFVqltOXRg

this probably doesn't fit but I'm lit and its good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHNhP59pUp0

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

alansmithee posted:

Neo-soul was really big for a brief minute there. IMO the best album of that style is Baduism which is basically perfect. Bilal's first album had that sound (and tbh I prefer to D'Angelo although that could be partially me just being contrarian). Michel'le also had a lot of that vibe although she kinda predates the neo-soul trend (as an aside, both her album and Bilal were produced by Dre). Maxwell's another with that sound, although compared to the others he's much more cool and...intellectual which can be god or ad depending on your tastes. Doesn't have the rawness, the emotion of a lot of the others. Musiq's also in that vein although I think he's lacking compared to the others. Lauryn Hill also has a similar vibe although I always thought she was more actual rap than r&b but either way it's one of the best albums of whatever genre you'd consider it and should check it out.

Thanks a lot for the suggestions everyone, got a bunch of stuff to check out now. Isn't neo-soul kinda making a comeback with artists like Kaytranada putting their own spin on it? Would also be interested in any modern artists doing that kinda thing.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

shoutout
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OA8aw07dpg0

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

cole in the psg shirt extremely on brand

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Boywhiz88 posted:

When Migos popped, we talked about Quavo leaving em behind and blowing up solo. For awhile there it looked like that would be the case, but Takeoff and Offset really stepped up. Offset especially. So, it’s Quavo’s whenever he wants it but I don’t think he’s being burdened by the other 2 like it used to be.

he just released 2 videos so i'm wondering. not really feeling them all that much tho

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

i wish joe budden would get a better producer because i somehow find myself usually agreeing with his old crabby man opinions but i dont see how people can listen to him ramble for 3 hours. dude needs to write out his script more

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
edgewood isn't aoty or anything but it's really loving solid.

most of the great albums that have come out over the last few years have had a single producer guiding the sound and more people should do this.

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction

40 lbs to freedom posted:

i wish joe budden would get a better producer because i somehow find myself usually agreeing with his old crabby man opinions but i dont see how people can listen to him ramble for 3 hours. dude needs to write out his script more

His podcast is the best content out right now, it's honestly amazing how 4 friends just talking about all types of poo poo just works. I like how they aren't scripted, it leads to genuine and funny moments you just don't get from any other podcast because they feel so robotic.

This spotify thing is a slam dunk for him. I'm just glad it's staying on Youtube.

MrSargent posted:

Thanks a lot for the suggestions everyone, got a bunch of stuff to check out now. Isn't neo-soul kinda making a comeback with artists like Kaytranada putting their own spin on it? Would also be interested in any modern artists doing that kinda thing.

Not really? I think the Internet, Jhene Aiko, Frank Ocean and Janelle Monae are really the only "neo soul" type acts that are newer. It's a sound that doesn't really translate well to the mainstream, and is an older sound for sure.

Check out The Internet's Hive Mind though, it's a pretty good carrying of that old sound in a real recent album

Yuzenn fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Aug 23, 2018

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Double post, mah bad

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

What's the consensus on Lil Uzi Vert? Is there a good album to start off with from him?

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Yuzenn posted:

His podcast is the best content out right now, it's honestly amazing how 4 friends just talking about all types of poo poo just works. I like how they aren't scripted, it leads to genuine and funny moments you just don't get from any other podcast because they feel so robotic.

This spotify thing is a slam dunk for him. I'm just glad it's staying on Youtube.

Not really? I think the Internet, Jhene Aiko, Frank Ocean and Janelle Monae are really the only "neo soul" type acts that are newer. It's a sound that doesn't really translate well to the mainstream, and is an older sound for sure.

Check out The Internet's Hive Mind though, it's a pretty good carrying of that old sound in a real recent album

Any episodes that are worth tracking down and checking out?

conventionalcat
Dec 17, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Vargatron posted:

What's the consensus on Lil Uzi Vert? Is there a good album to start off with from him?

the albums are all kinda skippable compared to the singles but Luv is Rage #1 is where i think i'd start. the track Top was the one i remember first got me on board, and his feature on thugger's song Big Racks.
Luv Vs. The World is 9 tracks and prob his best project overall.
Luv is Rage 2 i think only has like 3-4 songs i still like out of the 20. easily the most forgettable Culture 2-esque one.
plus it's been really easy to get burned out on LUV in the last few years as he's saturated everything

Boywhiz88 posted:

if you type in "review[s]" after his name on youtube you'll find a lot of the clips i like. his music reviews consist of a lot of industry conspiracy stuff. the episodes are 2 hours and not focused enough that i can recommend a whole solid gold one or anyhting but maybe a bigger buddens fan will disagree.

conventionalcat fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Aug 23, 2018

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/thefader/status/1032705312048988160

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Boywhiz88 posted:

Start with 174 (the previous episode), and then get caught up on the most recent...or you can youtube some best hits clips. Since the topics are usually very current-eventsy, you don't wanna go back too far

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
https://twitter.com/thefader/status/1032718946766663680

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Nicki is officially dead to me. Scum.
Deleted all my Nicki songs

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

Boywhiz88 posted:

theyve been on fire for the past month or so

its a good podcast

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
:lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-_s8c_URQU

temple
Jul 29, 2006

LISTEN UP! …ALL MUSIC MUST GO…. IM GIVING AWAY ALL MY UNRELEASED MUSIC FROM THE VAULT!
THE GUARANTEED ORIGINAL RECORDINGS STRAIGHT FROM MY HOME STUDIO DIRECTLY TO YOU MY FANS!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGgMTdaOvIA

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5K9rtphHqFc

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

poo poo slaps.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
Still a classic https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGqexOBy2bA

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I was wondering why Minaj had to cancel her tour because in my head she was still super popular. I appreciate the information y’all provided. I didn’t realize she had put out so little music.

In Danny Brown news, he was on twitch last night and didn’t give any updates on new projects even though that’s what 90% of chat was asking about. He was just playing persona and being goofy.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

$till got it

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
There are certain levels of popularity and fans.

Nicki is popular. In that she makes music that people will listen to and play in clubs and poo poo.

She is not popular enough where she can sell out an arena tour like she was trying to do, it's why she and Future were gonna tour together. Her fans are not the type of fans that will spend a ton of money on music or go to concerts.

There are very very few artists who are the level of popular to not have to worry selling out an arena tour like Beyonce, Cole, Ye, Kendrick, and Drake.

And honestly only Beyonce and Ye can do it without strong acts with them.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Like TSwift had issues selling her last tour I'm pretty sure

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Like there are audiences who support the poo poo out of their artist even if the artist isn't super popular who don't have issues selling out on tours.

Regardless of your opinion of him Cole is one of those dudes who isn't quite as popular commercially as like Drake or Kendrick, but his fans will loving pay for music. Same way someone like Kevin Gates will do loving Adele numbers because his fans buy the hell out of his poo poo.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

Dexo posted:

There are certain levels of popularity and fans.

Nicki is popular. In that she makes music that people will listen to and play in clubs and poo poo.

She is not popular enough where she can sell out an arena tour like she was trying to do, it's why she and Future were gonna tour together. Her fans are not the type of fans that will spend a ton of money on music or go to concerts.

There are very very few artists who are the level of popular to not have to worry selling out an arena tour like Beyonce, Cole, Ye, Kendrick, and Drake.

And honestly only Beyonce and Ye can do it without strong acts with them.

Bahahahahahah bad troll attempt alert. You should be embarrassed hahah

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

monkeu posted:

Bahahahahahah bad troll attempt alert. You should be embarrassed hahah

gently caress yea another manic day with monkeu

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/BhadBhabie/status/1033023706015170561

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

i'll bump hi bich in my car but you'll never be able to convince me that a Bad Bhabie concert will not be filled with the worst people