Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I (27m) walked in the apartment and heard my girlfriend (24f) crying to her sister because her ex didn't tell her happy birthday on snapchat.

At work atm so this will be short and I probably won't see responses until later tonight.

My girlfriends birthday is today, and we celebrated a little last night, and then we are going to dinner tonight. I woke up, kissed her, told her haply birthday then left for work. I was staying at her apartment for her birthday.

I was at work for about half an hour and realized I'd left some important papers I needed for a meeting today at her place, so I went back home to get them.

I expected her to not even be home, but as soon as I opened the door I heard her crying. Then I could hear her sister talking. I was gonna get what I needed, and check on her and leave.

I went to get my papers, and on the way back I heard her saying "but he looked at my story, why wouldn't he of at least said happy birthday? It's all I wanted. I've been looking forward to this day just for that!"

And her sister kept trying to calm her down, and telling her it wouldn't really make sense, he broke up with her. And her sister said" Didn't you even say you messaged him a week ago and he left you on open? Shouldn't that of been a sign? "my girlfriend said" yeah, but it's my birthday. It's different. And if he didn't ever plan to talk again, he would unfriend me. But he hasn't. He's still there, still looking at what I do."

I didn't realize until today that she even still tries talking to her ex. He cheated on her, and broke up with her and she still wants a happy birthday?

I left and didn't say anything, and now I'm sitting here feeling a little upset. What do I do?

Tl;dr; walked in to hear gf crying that her ex didn't say happy birthday on snap, but that he looked at her story. I didn't even know she still tried talking to him period.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

How long have you been dating?

Also, why is your poo poo not packed already?

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE

phasmid posted:

I was hoping we'd get an update on the guy with the therapist and his *misunderstood* wife.

She cheated on him
That was the update, and no she didn't.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I (27m) walked in the apartment and heard my girlfriend (24f) crying to her sister because her ex didn't tell her happy birthday on snapchat.

Tl;dr; walked in to hear gf crying that her ex didn't say happy birthday on snap, but that he looked at her story. I didn't even know she still tried talking to him period.
They're exes in the first place because you can't depend on them or trust them. If you stay in contact with exes that's on you. If anyone I'd ever dated cried over some poo poo like that (especially social media) they would also become an ex in that moment.

Fuck Your Website fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Aug 24, 2018

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

gently caress Your Website posted:

That was the update, and no she didn't.

She "had the opportunity". There's no reason to believe her.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

McDragon posted:

If you have someone who has never eaten meat and they only try it after five years, would they be completely fine with it or would the digestive system wig out, or just need a bit of getting used to new thing? Is it just the same sort of nutrients and stuff only it is from animals and not plants, or are they somehow fundamentally nutritionally different?

Not wanting to set off arguments again here, genuinely interested.

Depends on the kind of meat you eat, but it's definitely possible for it to go really badly. I gave up meat for a while as part of a diet, and and after a couple of months a single hotdog had me dry heaving.

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE

phasmid posted:

She "had the opportunity". There's no reason to believe her.

That's your take and nothing more. Don't state it as if it was a fact from the story, because you know full well that's misleading and part of what leads to multipage derails where two morons sperg their nearly identical hot takes at each other to the dismay of everyone else who has this thread bookmarked.

Edit: see above post

Fuck Your Website fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Aug 24, 2018

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Haifisch posted:

Should I [21F] reconnect with my childhood best friend [21M] in prison?

Yes, you definitely could have prevented murder with the power of friendship, OP.

Hey that's a really lovely thing to joke about.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

gently caress Your Website posted:

That's your take and nothing more. Don't state it as if it was a fact from the story, because you know full well that's misleading and part of what leads to multipage derails where two morons sperg their nearly identical hot takes at each other to the dismay of everyone else who has this thread bookmarked.

Edit: see above post

Oh, gently caress I didn't realize we had to actually know these people in order to pass internet judgement on them. I thought the purpose of all these inflated, half-true stories was for our amusement, now I see that it's people like me who cause all the problems. Thank you for enlightening me.

Who says they want to cheat and then says they have both the right and the "opportunity" and then acts innocent? Ridiculous.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Hey that's a really lovely thing to joke about.

is this your first time on the internet?

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
the chick who wanted an open relationship and her fiance left her-- she's taking very little responsibility it feels like. so her therapist pushed her into the open marriage, but then when she begs him to take her back she says he can have access to her devices and bank accounts, and the whole fact shes manipulating the families to push them together.. idk its weird. shes sorry but her actions dont seem like it, but i also dont think id say shes manipulating everyone on purpose??

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Lotsa reports on derails folks. It’s cool to chat about dumb relationship poo poo, but try to stay fresh and not beat dead horses.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

the chick who wanted an open relationship and her fiance left her-- she's taking very little responsibility it feels like. so her therapist pushed her into the open marriage, but then when she begs him to take her back she says he can have access to her devices and bank accounts, and the whole fact shes manipulating the families to push them together.. idk its weird. shes sorry but her actions dont seem like it, but i also dont think id say shes manipulating everyone on purpose??

If she's doing it by instinct rather than design, that's (slightly) less despicable but harder to cure. I wonder if the guy has ever had to stump for her, to mediate a dispute with a friend or a coworker. Because it seems like something she would do.

Any way you slice it, he should drop her like a bag of bricks.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

cumshitter posted:

Based on how involved the families are, it reads like the OP's family are a bunch of peanut butter magnates and his fiance's family runs a jelly empire and this marriage absolutely must happen for business reasons. That, and the giant backyard of intrigue with multiple plot exposition benches that are easily obscured from each other.

Upper Crustless: a new hit drama available to all Amazon Prime subscribers this Fall.

I'd check out the first episode. They should hire the people who did the sets and costumes for "pushing daisies".

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
My girlfriend loves my poetic talking in bed. Does it have a name in sex? (self.sex)

submitted 2 days ago * by throwawaypidbelly1

quote:

Hi,

I usually ask my girlfriend what she liked and how I can improve after each session. She usually comes 5 to 7 times in one session and usually we go until morning with a lot of cuddling in between.

She always tells me that she gets the best orgasms when I use my hands on her, get close to her ear, whisper poetic stuff in desiring tone, heavy breathing and speaking slowly with a low noise. I say stuff such as:

Close your eyes. Strip out of your fears. Think of nothing. Empty your mind. You are a woman, Julia. Feel like a woman. Just a woman. Be a woman in my arms tonight, Julia. (and I get rougher and faster)

How does it feel to sleep with the devil tonight? Would you let my flames grasp you and burn inside your veins? How does my fire feels Julia? Would you live in my hell? (She says I'll be forever yours to torture before coming)

I enjoy it when you be an animal. So wild and so beautiful as always... Are you ready to go wild tonight? Are you ready to scream and wake the whole city up? Are you ready to follow your female instincts? Let's be animals together. (I get close, start smelling her neck and make noises. She goes really wild, starts to scream and scratch my body)

I tried doing common dirty talk too (e.g my bitch, I'll destroy you tonight) but she doesn't like them.

The thing is, I never saw such kind of dirty talking before. Does it have a name? Are you doing similar things yourself and do you enjoy it?

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
It's called the dialogue from a romance novel.

I like how he added that he tried speaking the people's common dirty tongue, but that he and his girlfriend are of too noble an upbringing to enjoy it.

"Pray good sir, mightst thou tell me where my wife and I might find lodging so that I may plow her cooch as t'were time to plant the harvest?"

Arturia
Jan 24, 2017

Can't stop clicking circles

CheesyDog posted:

My girlfriend loves my poetic talking in bed. Does it have a name in sex? (self.sex)

submitted 2 days ago * by throwawaypidbelly1

The juxtaposition between the love novel crap and "my bitch, I'll destroy you tonight" slayed me

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

cumshitter posted:

It's called the dialogue from a romance novel.

I like how he added that he tried speaking the people's common dirty tongue, but that he and his girlfriend are of too noble an upbringing to enjoy it.

"Pray good sir, mightst thou tell me where my wife and I might find lodging so that I may plow her cooch as t'were time to plant the harvest?"

Seriously, the butchering of Edwardian English is the biggest turn off. You know, the people who think thou, thee, thy and thine etc. are interchangeable. Makes you want to run them through with a poisoned rapier.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Usually we go until morning? Do they have sex maybe twice a year or only save it for the weekends?

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

phasmid posted:

Seriously, the butchering of Edwardian English is the biggest turn off. You know, the people who think thou, thee, thy and thine etc. are interchangeable. Makes you want to run them through with a poisoned rapier.

It's been a while but I think one of my English teachers basically said it's thou if you're addressing someone, thee if you're telling them what you're going to do or what is going to happen to them.

Tuna-Fire
Mar 4, 2001

etcetera, etcetera
Hair Elf
He'll have to start doing the dirty talk in high elf soon, really class it up

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
50 shades of LARP.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Bored posted:

Sounds like rehab brainwashed her. :( I think all of those women are stuck in a bad place. It sucks that people who are raised in super controlling households freak out when given freedom.

What kind of drugs were in the house during the drug bust? I didn't think anywhere in Europe was that harsh about weed. Did she switch to meth after running out of her adhd prescription way too soon? Did the family hire an actor to pretend to be a cop from whatever European country she was living in? Is that why she had to go home to deal with her drug charge (I didn't think these laws crossed country lines). I would like somebody to explain this to me, because as I read it, it sounds like some sort of hateful circus invented to make her kill herself.

Thank you. After Muslim girl's story, I needed that.

She said she'd been self-medicating with speed. I'm not sure she ever got an adderall 'script before poo poo went down.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

cumshitter posted:

It's been a while but I think one of my English teachers basically said it's thou if you're addressing someone, thee if you're telling them what you're going to do or what is going to happen to them.

"thou" is the subject pronoun, "thee" is the object pronoun. like "who" vs. "whom." another fun fact about "thou," it was originally the familiar second-person pronoun, and "you" was the formal. like tú vs. usted, du vs. Sie, etc. but because it sounds archaic we equate "thou" with formality

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

phasmid posted:

Who says they want to cheat and then says they have both the right and the "opportunity" and then acts innocent? Ridiculous.

I know!

:byodame: I didn't cheat, but I sure could have!

Good job, I guess. Here's your ribbon.

Burt Sexual posted:

Lotsa reports on derails folks. It’s cool to chat about dumb relationship poo poo, but try to stay fresh and not beat dead horses.

Yet another goddamn vegetarian protecting those grass-eating horse motherfuckers

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

tactlessbastard posted:

You read this thread and chose to be in a relationship?

This is abuse.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

tater_salad posted:

This is abuse.

It wasn't sincere, don't take it as a gift :ohdear:

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

tactlessbastard posted:

It wasn't sincere, don't take it as a gift :ohdear:

At least it's not a prank

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Dienes posted:

Looks like someone ran out of money for the commissary.

mmmhmmmm

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

sorry they made a horseshit movie about his delusional power fantasies but he was guilty as hell

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Haifisch posted:

grief text

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Update: I (24F) think my dad’s ex girlfriend (50sF) is stalking me

quote:

First I want to clear some things up about my job. I work 4AM-8PM Monday through Friday. I get paid for driving, so the 2 hour commute to and from work is included in those hours, not on top of them. I don’t work for any school - my company is a contractor with many different schools. It is illegal to make employees work so many hours where I live, but most of the people who work here either don’t care because the money is so good or they quit early on. I don’t want to say what I do specifically because from there it would be easy to find out what company I work for which I imagine could get me in legal trouble.

I didn’t want to call my doctor yesterday because I was afraid to leave work and because I didn’t want my coworkers or anyone at the school to hear what was going on. However, I ended up doing so because I noticed there was a teacher with my last name (which is also my dad’s, and is quite rare unlike the girlfriend’s common name) and I panicked a little. I excused myself to the bathroom and called my doctor, who advised me to come in, and then I told me coworkers I had to leave because of a medical emergency.

I was not medicated before, but I have now started a new medication which will hopefully work. I have some mental exercises that I used the one other time I have had a really bad delusion like this (I thought my house was infested with fleas but they were really just on the dog) and they’re helping to ground me. I think I am afraid of my dad trying to get back into my life (he does this every so often) which is why I jumped straight to thinking it was his ex stalking me, and my doctor agrees.

I also have put in my two weeks notice at work. I have enough money to get by for the next few months if I can’t get another job right away, and this job is destroying me physically and mentally.

I did also buy a CO detector but nothing seemed out of the ordinary. I also live with my fiancé who is not having similar symptoms.

Thank you to everyone who replied to the original post. I’m sorry I worried you.

tl;dr I’m not being stalked, I’m just crazy

Happy ending! :unsmith:

We still talk and hang out, even though she broke up with me. I'm not sure what to make of this. (27M) (33F)

quote:

Background
Our relationship started January of 2016, approaching 3 years ago. I have been mostly single my entire adult life. I'd been on many dates, this woman absolutely captivated me from day one. After a year of being together, we got our first apartment together. For the first time in my life, I felt fulfilled. Eventually, it felt so right, I proposed. Everything seemed to be falling right into place....

Doin' Time
In the beginning of our relationship, she was on probation, and had to serve 8 months in a Work release program. If you're unaware of what Work release is, it is essentially a lighter version of jail. You get passes to go places, you're able to go to work, that kinda thing. I didn't leave her at that time because I saw past her mistakes. I was so captivated by this woman, I wanted to make a difference in her life, and I succeeded. When she got out, there was a huge difference in her maturity. In those 8 months, that is where we developed true love and best friends. I had also helped her with her son, whom I also developed a relationship. When she got out, we got our first apartment together.

I don't like the drugs, the drugs like me
This is the hardest part to discuss, because everyone has their own strong opinion of the matter. Please, try to have an open mind if you can't relate to substance abuse. She and I both, have had substance abuse issues prior to meeting each other. It wasn't really a problem in the beginning. It was seemingly casual, up until the past 6 months. One day we went to the store, I ran into a friend of mine I hadn't seen in years. Long story short, he asked me to come by since he lived down the street from us. From that decision on, we quickly fell down a slippery slope. Full blown addiction grasped us.

The beginning of the end
In the past 6 months, it has been by far the hardest I've lived, she as well for that matter. She caught a possession charge, I got my first DUI. Between finances and the legal system, our relationship has been strained. The night she caught her possession charge, obviously she went to jail for 60 days. At the time, I had no idea how long she was going to be there. Had I got my sh*t together in that time, we probably wouldn't be where we are today. With that said, I completely lost my mind. My addiction was the only way I knew to cope with my now broken family. In that time, I gave up my apartment, caught a DUI (my first offense ever). The world seemed to be crumbling right before me.

Where we are today
60 days pass, she finally comes home. By home, I mean a friend who has allowed us to live with her, god bless. I got clean the day she gets out. I had enough of the crap, and it was time to fix this once and for all. Sobriety happened for us for a month, before drugs found us again. A month passes of using, and she quits. House arrest, there is no messing around. She has successfully been sober since, she's been sober for a month. This is the sad part. I have mostly been clean in the month she's been sober, I have slipped. I came home one day, 2 weeks ago, and she could see it in my eyes. One too many times, she had enough. From that day, I haven't touched anything. I went home to my parent's, believing that was it. 2 days pass, she misses me and asked me to come back. We have sex, I love you's are back. As of today, I'm receiving mixed signals. We are back to sobriety and getting along well, but the romance is shifty. One moment she seems to be about working on this, the next she seems unsure. I honestly, don't know where I stand at this point. I don't believe in letting go when times get tough. You get through it and grow. Anyway, that is our story this far....

tl;dr
My girlfriend of three years made the decision to dump me. Considering her reasons, I've truly made the effort to fix the problem. One day she seems to be about the possibility of making it work, the next she's reminding me why it won't. She is still defensive over me as if we are still together, she got overly jealous when her friend wore one of my sweatshirts. Maybe that doesn't matter, but it seems to be a clue something could still be there. Back to the point, I'm unsure how to approach this. Do I stay here at her friend's, and see what happens? Do I decide to go back to my parent's, possibly leaving her for good? I don't have any answers. I have complete determination to make this work after a hard lesson learned. It..means..everything.

:stare: She made the right call, you two need to go no contact and you need to work on your addiction without a coenabling relationship.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

phasmid posted:

I was hoping we'd get an update on the guy with the therapist and his *misunderstood* wife. I like how she's the victim even though she constantly lures him into places where parties unconcerned are there to ambush him. Oh, no, dude. She's not "manipulative"! That would be a terrible thing to say about the future mother of your equally stupid children!

I can't think of anything that would make me end a relationship and go no-contact faster than an ambush like that. gently caress that manipulative poo poo and gently caress anyone that does that.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Update: I (24F) think my dad’s ex girlfriend (50sF) is stalking me

Happy ending! :unsmith:
Well, at least she's sane enough to try and find the cause of the problem. That's a good sign.

Improbable Lobster posted:

I can't think of anything that would make me end a relationship and go no-contact faster than an ambush like that. gently caress that manipulative poo poo and gently caress anyone that does that.

:agreed:

Although from the sound of his last edit, I'm not sure our dubious protagonist is going to make the wise choice.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
He (30M) says I'm (31F) "something better than nothing"
u/meltedsugarcubes

quote:

This is a long one. Thanks for sticking through it, for those who do.

A couple of months ago I (31F) accidentally saw my boyfriend's (30M) reddit account while I was using his tablet. I was not trying to look for it and it was a complete accident. He is not aware of this. While I know I shouldn't have, I looked at his history out of curiosity. There was nothing of interest, just a comment about how the best relationship he's ever been in was with his ex-gf. I was hurt for a short period of time, but said nothing and eventually got over it as I know nobody is ever the best and there's always someone better out there.

Since then, I haven't thought much about the account and our almost 6 year relationship has been good. However, he has been going through a difficult time right now. I have been supportive during this time, but he has been a bit stoic with his emotions. The other night he seemed a bit off, but wouldn't say anything about it... So I checked his reddit account, thinking it may give me some insight. Again, I know I should not have done this and looking back it was a silly idea but at the time, it seemed like something that could possibly help understand how he was feeling.

There was nothing that explained how he was feeling. Instead, I saw a very recent comment in reply to a post that posed the question: "did you settle for 'good enough'?" The thread describes a situation of meeting someone with many positive qualities, but she ends up leaving you. Tired of dating, you meet a nice girl who is somewhat attractive/smart/fun/etc, but not as much as the previous girl. She's okay to get along with and sex is fine but regular. She's "good enough". The thread ends with the posed question "would you, or did you, settle for a good enough woman?"

He replied. His comment was basically "this explains me 100%. I planned a future with the love of my life. I love(ed) her with my entire being. We liked xyz, she was everything sexually I wanted, 10 years of inseparable bliss and then she left me." He continues on to say "I got tired of trying to date and then settled for good enough. Something is better than nothing."

I am so hurt. He does not know I have seen this but he knows I have been acting off and that I'm in a negative mood. He is not aware why.

Bonus background information: in the beginning of our relationship, I never felt like I was good enough for him because I was not his ex-gf. I eventually overcame this and thought it was my low self-esteem. When we briefly tried an open relationship early on in our time together as a fun experiment, he immediately got back together with his ex-gf. I was upset, but tried to work through my issues and jealousy. Eventually, I was unable to and said this wasn't for me. He broke it off with her and while they remained friends for a bit afterwards, I don't believe they have spoken or had any relationship for 3-4 years outside of being Facebook friends. I don't think he is cheating on me, or doing anything of that sort, but I just... Don't know what to do.

I've known all along that in some aspects, he probably did settle for me and that they were a better match in some areas. But I try very hard to be a wonderful partner: I support him, I respect him, I try very hard every day to make him happy and I'm always trying to improve myself for myself, for him, and for our relationship. In other areas, I believe we match very well, and up until now, I thought he was very happy with our relationship. I thought he had gotten over his ex-gf and that he appreciated me. Now I am doubting all of it.

Is there any kind explanation to this? Could it be that he is going through a difficult time and it's a good escape to think about someone from the past he cared about? Could he have built her up in his head to be some dream girl and thinking about that gives him some sort of relaxing fantasyland? Or do I need to just accept that I'm convenient and consistent and acceptable to him? Should I bring up what I saw to him, admitting that I looked at his reddit history? Really, any advice or thoughts would be helpful. I've been feeling so upset all day. :(

TL;DR: Looking at my bf's reddit history. Found a very recent comment where he praises his ex-gf and explains she was everything to him and that he love(ed) her with his entire being. She left him, and since then, he settled for good enough as "something is better than nothing". Don't understand what he could be feeling or where I should go from here.

I’m pretty sure I couldn’t carry on with a relationship if someone wrote that about me, whether they were having “a difficult time” or not. She, however, clearly sees more possibilities than I do.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

burial posted:

He (30M) says I'm (31F) "something better than nothing"
u/meltedsugarcubes

I’m pretty sure I couldn’t carry on with a relationship if someone wrote that about me, whether they were having “a difficult time” or not. She, however, clearly sees more possibilities than I do.

That’s a nice one for “spot the deeply buried lede”.

Racing to hook up with his ex-gf that he’s still pining for when they tried an “open relationship”

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Burt Sexual posted:

Yeah, horse chat belongs in the BFC BWM thread.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
My (36F) husband (36M) of 6 years promised to try to lose weight but now wants to participate in a competitive eating contest

quote:

My husband was slightly overweight when we got married. Since then his weight has steadily increased to the point he weighs nearly 350 pounds. There are a few factors for it including familial predisposition (both parents were obese...now they're dead), his job is sedentary, his hobbies are sedentary, and he eats out of boredom. He also eats a lot of unhealthy foods. So the classic pair of not enough exercise and too much unhealthy snacking.

He knows he has a problem, he knows he's dangerously overweight. He had a heart attack a year ago. Since then he's had to take medication to lower his cholesterol and blood pressure, and he's pre-diabetic. The doctor bluntly told him he's eating himself into an early grave and if he doesn't change his habits and lose weight, he could die before our child (1 year old) is in college. Not necessarily from the weight but the problems it causes. Diabetes issues or another heart attack, risky surgical procedures like triple bypass.

This was a year ago and it happened right after I gave birth so it was extremely stressful. Something finally seemed to click for him and he said he was going to commit to losing weight. That lasted a few months. I was very proud of him in that time, but then Christmas season hit and he was overeating again, bingeing on sweets, and falling back into old habits. This continued even after the holiday season ended. He quickly gained back the pounds he'd lost, then gained more. He's made a couple half-hearted attempts to cut back on junk food but it never lasts more than a week.

So, a couple weeks ago, I had another come to Jesus talk with him repeating all the things his doctor had said following the heart attack, telling him he has a family and we need him healthy. Again, he seemed to have a sincere realization. He promised me he'd take his diet choices seriously and seek out a personal trainer to develop an appropriate exercise routine for weight loss. I suggested a weight loss support/therapy group, he was on board with that idea. It looked like he was going to turn things around.

It's been mixed results. He has cut back the junk food and sometimes moderates his portions. Other times, he still overeats. Finding the trainer and the support group haven't happened yet. I've reminded him and he's said either that he hasn't been able to find anything, or he's too busy that day and will do it the next day. I want to believe he'll follow through but I just do not know.

He's still completely sedentary, doesn't leave the house except for work. Sits on the couch watching TV or on his computer until bed. He tries to play with our daughter but gets out of breath too easily so he never plays with her for long. He wants her to just lay on the couch with him, but she's started walking and doesn't want to sit still or be held for hours.

So I was already beginning to doubt that he's trying as much as he promised he would.

Then, yesterday, he announces he's going to take part in a loving dumpling-eating contest. Our area has a Taiwanese festival in a couple weeks and he's said before that he wants to enter that contest one year.

I couldn't really believe what I was hearing. I asked so is this his way of saying he doesn't care anymore about losing weight? He says he sees it as his "last hurrah" before buckling down to change his diet. He insisted he wouldn't gain weight from "just one meal." He gave a bunch of other, frankly ridiculous justifications like that after he loses weight his stomach won't have as much capacity so he needs to do it now. Why does he "NEED" to do it at all?? The winner gets a free trip to Taiwan so he's telling me it's for the family, we could take our daughter to another country, blah blah blah! Well, no, we'd still be paying for her and myself which we can't afford and even if so, there's no way I'm putting a 1 year old on a plane for 20 hours of travel to the other side of the world. It's absolutely absurd.

I am so frustrated, I feel like a dam has broken and I'm finally feeling all the fear and anger over his attitude about his health. We've had so many conversations. I've begged, argued, cried, yelled, every time he says he understands and will work harder. It never, ever, lasts. And now this dumpling contest poo poo, it's like he's actively trying to sabotage himself. It's one thing to slip back into longtime ingrained habits, it's another to go out of your way seeking them out.

What the hell do I do to get through to him? I know that losing weight is hard work. It's discouraging at the beginning and not fun and takes a lot of willpower. But you'd think the least he could do is not do things that will make it WORSE like stuffing himself with dumplings in an eating competition!

I'm angry but underneath that I'm scared. His parents died of weight related problems in their 60s. I'm terrified he's on the same path. Apart from his health there are no issues in our relationship. I love him. I couldn't stand to lose him. To see him doing things that are completely against his self-interest is becoming unbearable.

TL;DR: Despite continuous promises to eat better and lose weight, my very overweight husband intends to take part in a dumpling eating contest. We have a 1 year old child. I'm losing hope that he's going to be able to improve his health
Losing hope? Think you need to lose like 400lbs of dead man walking.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

He won't win, fat people are at a disadvantage in eating contests. The fat restricts stomach expansion, which is why really skinny people are always winning those hot dog challenges and the like.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
The prize is a trip halfway across the world. I say bring me the dumplings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
Yeah that dude won’t be able to fly