Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Steamboy

E: oh gently caress that's a lovely snipe with a lovely movie for a joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Steamboy

E: oh gently caress that's a lovely snipe with a lovely movie for a joke.

Oh come on now, Rango is a pretty good movie. Not anything earth-shaking plotwise, but it's stylish and has character.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Just chiming in on Black Cauldron, the series is sort of obsessed with the transition of childhood to adulthood to the point where book 4 is basically a training montage of how on be an adult in book form. It also pissed me right off because after several books of the main character sucking because he lacks noble birth and thus access to their magic and weaponry he fulfills the ancient prophecy and gets made super king which sort of undermines why the last four books kept kicking him in the dick.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Looper posted:

not to derail from the current conversation too much, but does anyone have any recommendations for books about animation, beyond art books?

Joe Murray, the guy who made Rocko's Modern Life has a book called "Creating Animated Cartoons With Character" that goes over character design and things like pitches. I've been reading through it when I get the chance and it's pretty good.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Kurzon posted:

Here's a question for you guys out of nowhere: which is the most technically exquisite animated film there is?

For my money, Akira is pretty far up there. Redline ain't half shabby in that regard either.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
If we're doing hand-drawn, I have a really powerful soft spot for Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust from a technical standpoint and a teen goth wiener standpoint.

It's not, however, quite as "smooth" as for example Treasure Planet.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I just love Akira, warts and all. They could animate a full-scale riot by hand and animate the mouths after the voices had been recorded, but they still made the main character and the love interest have almost identical faces (true to the manga, but still).

Anyway, that movie blew my mind as a kid and it's still a visual treat.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I don't know if it'd be the most technically exquisite animated film, but Disney's Sleeping Beauty is certainly drat exceptional.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Schwarzwald posted:

I don't know if it'd be the most technically exquisite animated film, but Disney's Sleeping Beauty is certainly drat exceptional.

Another excellent selection. Technically phenomenal, huge style points. Fantasia is up there too.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I dunno if it's very technical, but The Thief and the Cobbler is certainly visually exquisite. At least, the parts that weren't shoehorned in by Miramax. (I suppose this means the Re-Cobbled version is the better way to view it, though bear in mind it has unfinished segments in it IIRC. I dunno, I haven't looked into said cut, and the only time I saw the film at all was on VHS back in 1998-ish on vacation in Germany.)

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
My issue with Thief is that it's too busy, so busy the composition of the shot often makes it hard to see what is supposed to be the visual focus.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Re-Cobbled is stunning where it is done, but it really drags on the back half with how it slows to a crawl to show off the intricacies of the big war machine, and admittedly the polo scene actually kind of made me nauseous

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Barudak posted:

Just chiming in on Black Cauldron, the series is sort of obsessed with the transition of childhood to adulthood to the point where book 4 is basically a training montage of how on be an adult in book form. It also pissed me right off because after several books of the main character sucking because he lacks noble birth and thus access to their magic and weaponry he fulfills the ancient prophecy and gets made super king which sort of undermines why the last four books kept kicking him in the dick.

That's a very interesting read of the conclusion of the book, seeing as Taran is left at the end with only Eilonwy and Gurgi with him and she can only stay because she gave up her magic. Everyone else he has met over the series has either died in the final campaign against Arawn, or is departing because they are magic in some form. Kind of a poo poo deal since he is left with a broken country to unite and teach everyone how to live without magic.

On the topic of exquisite animation, Kung Fu Panda 2 is up there

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Paranorman is a marvel of animation

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

asecondduck posted:

Speaking of Atlantis, I rewatched it last night and I was reminded just how bad the pacing of the movie is and how “dark” it is compared to Disney’s usual fare. I can’t figure out if it should have been, like, an hour longer or a maybe even a miniseries instead (maybe change the beginning so that they go to Iceland to get the journal and that’s where the Leviathan attack happens?).

I never really processed how different all the characters appearance and animation is the other two times I watched it (first as a child when it came out and then again as a high schooler). It ultimately works, but it really doesn’t feel like a Disney film because of it. My wife pointed out that it really feels more like a Bluth film and I think she’s right.

Also if Disney is going to continue insisting on remaking their animated films into live action ones they really need to redo Atlantis because the movie deserves better than it got.

Atlantis is one of my favourite Disney films, and I'll agree with all of that. The absolutely gorgeous Verne-esque submarine lasts all of about 5 minutes before getting destroyed, but then you get about 20 minutes of driving through caverns.

Hellboy creator Mike Mignola did a lot of production design for Atlantis, which is why it has that look all throughout. Here's some examples.

I've never seen The Black Cauldron, but I just looked up some clips and wondered why it had the Ghostbusters soundtrack over them. I looked it up, and saw that Elmer Bernstein is the composer (GB came first), so he's just cribbing from himself.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Aces High posted:

That's a very interesting read of the conclusion of the book, seeing as Taran is left at the end with only Eilonwy and Gurgi with him and she can only stay because she gave up her magic. Everyone else he has met over the series has either died in the final campaign against Arawn, or is departing because they are magic in some form. Kind of a poo poo deal since he is left with a broken country to unite and teach everyone how to live without magic.

There we go. Look, I get the criticism/observation that the theme of maturity and growing up is woven significantly into the narrative (it is a bildungsroman, after all), but I really don't think the end undermines anything. Taran doesn't become king because some prophecy he never knew about declared that he was Special All Along, he becomes king because he recognizes kingship not as a prize for glory where you get to do what you want, but as an arduous, thankless duty that someone does because it needs to be done, and he feels bad about loving off to Utopia while leaving behind a post war country in need of rebuilding. (Also, Gurgi goes to the Summer along with everyone else, although he does want to saty, but Taran makes him go :goonsay: Alright, enough about old fantasy books)

OK, maybe not entirely, because back to the movie: after all the stuff I've talked about it, I have to say that the animation is good. Better than good, really; I know not everyone can get behind the xerography thing, but it kinda works for me, especially in this setting. The painted backgrounds truly are an astounding achievement; really, they haven't looked this good since Sleeping Beauty, and their even more remarkable for being so dark and grim and yet still being clear about what's going on. Yeah, it's still a failure, but it's an ambitious failure that I don't regret watching... but exquisite? Probably not. I guess I have a special place in my heart for Akira, since that was the first movie I ever saw that made me go, "Cartoons can be like that?"...but in terms of technicality, Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle from Ghibli are smoother and mor technically accomplished, but that's hardly fair, given the difference of technology. And do we mean exquisite i terms of animation looking nice, or in terms of animation impressing us? Need to think about this more.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Paranorman is a marvel of animation

That would probably be my top for stop-motion, yes.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Kubo has more impressive animation, too bad its script is horrific garbage.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Pirate Jet posted:

No way is anything in Kubo more impressive than the climax in Paranorman.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
I was talking with my dad about Disney movies, and I can't remember what he asserted was the worst Disney movie, but I was like instantly "no, that's not the worst one". and he's like "no, it is". And I'm like, "do you remember The Black Cauldron?". and he's like "oh yeah, that was baaaad." Also mentioned Atlantis, and he cringed.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Atlantis would have been a kick-rear end miniseries. I still think about how awesome that sub and all the production design was.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Atlantis would have been a kick-rear end miniseries. I still think about how awesome that sub and all the production design was.

Concept art:

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Teen Titans Go To The Movies was fantastic. Loved every minute.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Pirate Jet posted:

I actually felt like Kubo genuinely didn't look as good. A lot of it was playing with concepts and tech, but the final result wasn't actually that appealing. The ship of leaves and the underwater monsters both come to mind as amazing props/setpieces (which I've seen in person) that ultimately weren't that impressive onscreen. Meanwhile, the actual set for Coraline's otherworld garden honestly looks completely half-assed in person, but who cares? Onscreen it looks incredible, and that's what ultimately matters.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Pick posted:

I actually felt like Kubo genuinely didn't look as good. A lot of it was playing with concepts and tech, but the final result wasn't actually that appealing. </b> The ship of leaves and the underwater monsters </b> both come to mind as amazing props/setpieces (which I've seen in person) that ultimately weren't that impressive onscreen. matters.

https://youtu.be/lTyJDdbMmpU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFrY4d4zYFI

Seriously

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
The Night is Short, Walk On Girl rules. It captures a lot of the magic of Tatami Galaxy, though more tilted towards being funny than meaningful. Also with way more intense drinking.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Is it going to have a dub?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

I'm sort of not sure if you're loving with me, because tone in text is hard.

I think I posted the picture of the red skeleton full-scale model, and drat it's so cool, and even that I feel is more impressive in person than in the film itself. To me, the most impressive effect in Kubo was the water, which did get some focus but sadly not as much as I'd have preferred. Meanwhile, the ParaNorman models are largely 1:1 how cool they are to see and how cool they are in film. And Coraline's punch above their weight.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Echoing that I don't think the final result of Kubo's animation is as good. The action in the ambitious skeleton set piece ultimately felt very limited by the method, like I couldn't ignore that it would be more dynamic in full cg, no matter how awesome it is conceptually that they built that thing. Whereas I never felt for a second Coraline could possibly look as good with more mundane animation techniques.

About Kubo: anyone else think Coco borrowed heavily from it? Adopts the stylings of a specific culture to present a guitar playing boy going on a journey accompanied by what he doesn't realise is his relative, with themes concerning family and mortality? Even the name is similar, and both have a character with progressive memory loss (although presented in wildly different contexts). It felt like a remix.

My one criticism of Kubo comes at the very end when the lantern scene is repeated and he gives a great speech expressing his gratitude for having had any time at all with his parents, ending with: "This was a happy story. But, it could still be a whole lot happier. I don't know exactly what the rules are, or how this works, but if there were any, way to... You know... I still need you. So I could say this has been a happy story, or I could feel it... We could all feel it. And then we could end this story - together".

He is effectively begging for the afterlife magic that he witnessed fail earlier in the film to be real, even having learnt a lesson about the value of life's impermanence and immortality through family memory. That's good though, because death is still hard to accept emotionally even when you have beliefs to cope with it. The problem is they reward him visually, showing his parents actually appearing like force ghosts. The implication is they are memories rather than ghosts, but the presentation is entirely ambiguous. I'd rather if they did something like having him initially disappointed, but then he sees his shadow cast by the lantern splits into two resembling his parents. Don't relent on the fact that they are truly gone, but reinforce that they live on in him.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I terms of impressive technical animation I've always been impressed by Pinocchio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uh1sCdcSDi0

Look at them bubbles! This is, like, 40 years before The Little Mermaid and they still look just as good as that movie. Look at them splashes of water, shadows from the fire, the smoke and fire and background details. That fluid and incredibly detailed character animation. I dunno what kinda techniques they use for Monstro but he looks awesome. AND THEY ANIMATED THE WHOLE MOVIE ON 1'S!

There's another scene, where Geppetto is looking for Pinocchio in the rain, that I can't find a clip of but it's also just stunning to look at and realize, even with the absurd limits of technology at the time, they were able to animate that level of complex movement with that level of detail ON 1'S.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Cost of technology vs cost of labour is a bitch and all that.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Does Roger Rabbit count as a pick for most impressive animation?

Because I've never seen a film that managed to mix real and animated characters (and props, and, well, everything) together so well.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
drat, we're whipping out a bunch of good picks.

Yeah, Roger Rabbit is a triumph as well.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not well-up on animation technique but I like the train chase scene at the end of The Wrong Trousers or the pie machine sequence from Chicken Run for claymation.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
Going into the Anime category, I've always thought most parts of Katsuhiro Otomo's Memories are extremely lush in their animation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OL_OMJ-vsiA

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Pick posted:

Same but Goffmaniada.

Just quoting myself from 2017. Still hosed up on excitement for it and blown away it's being released.

Anyway, does anyone who speaks Russian know if there's a way to give money, like ko.fi-style, to Aleksandr Petrov or Stanislav Sokolov? I want to reward them for the good work they do and rumor is that the destitution of animators in Russia puts the destitution of animators everywhere else to shame. which is like, drat. Anyway I feel like a jackass wasting money on animation cels and stuff without doing due diligence to the people who created the films themselves.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.
I'm not sure but since you mentioned Alexander Petrov gives man excuse to post this incredible water sequence, done in water color.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKfAv6-IwmQ&t=853s

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
*oil paint

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ConfusedUs posted:

Does Roger Rabbit count as a pick for most impressive animation?

Because I've never seen a film that managed to mix real and animated characters (and props, and, well, everything) together so well.

This is also helped by Bob Hoskins' performance (he's one of the few actors I've seen in these kind of movies that actually tries to make an effort to look directly at where the animated character is supposed to be as opposed to slightly away from them).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

It’s sad that with all the cost and effort going into CG movies today they’ll still look dated in 10 years whereas hand drawn movies will be close to timeless.