Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Endless Mike posted:

Crappled again

Heading to Da Fr00t Stand

Clean your screen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I have AppleCare thankfully so it'll be like $70.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
If there are no cracks along the edges that should be free under warranty if you're still under AppleCare.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

None at all!

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
That’s most likely caused by a swollen battery, for info. Free with AppleCare.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, I looked inside, but couldn't really tell since I don't know how the battery *should* look. That said, I guess I have noticed a bit of a decrease in battery life.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's not on you to determine, though I guess it'd make the conversation at the apple store a little shorter.

They'll take one look at it and be all "yeah poo poo's hosed, here's a new watch."

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah, I looked inside, but couldn't really tell since I don't know how the battery *should* look. That said, I guess I have noticed a bit of a decrease in battery life.

In my friends case it was just poo poo glue but he also didn’t have Apple care.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

xzzy posted:

It's not on you to determine, though I guess it'd make the conversation at the apple store a little shorter.

They'll take one look at it and be all "yeah poo poo's hosed, here's a new watch."
Yeah, they looked at it and said it looked swollen, though they sent it in for repair rather than give me a new watch, which is a bummer. Covered under AppleCare, at least!

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Aug 25, 2018

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah, they looked at it and said it looked swollen, though they sent it in for repair rather than give me a new watch, which is a bummer. Covered under AppleCare, at least!

AFAIK they won’t actually repair it and you’ll just get a refurb back.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah, they looked at it and said it looked swollen, though they sent it in for repair rather than give me a new watch, which is a bummer.

That's bullshit. If you were in Australia our consumer law would see you walking out with a new one because your old one was clearly unfit for purpose. Our warranty periods are backed by legislation for the life of the product. Not just some arbitrary period set by Apple.

Sorry about your country.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

AFAIK they won’t actually repair it and you’ll just get a refurb back.
Yeah, that's what I assumed, but it's weird they're claiming 5-7 business days to get it back. (Though when I got my MBP battery replaced, I dropped it off Friday and had it back Monday so who knows.)

Coq au Nandos posted:

That's bullshit. If you were in Australia our consumer law would see you walking out with a new one because your old one was clearly unfit for purpose. Our warranty periods are backed by legislation for the life of the product. Not just some arbitrary period set by Apple.

Yes, I, too, am sorry about my country.

That said, I don't really see a problem with repairing it back to working condition rather than giving a brand new one, but I certainly would never argue against such a law.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Not what I would have expected either. When we bought our watches the sales person was all "applecare is basically a new watch guarantee because they're unrepairable so anything that goes wrong we give you a new one".

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Coq au Nandos posted:

Apple still tries their refurb bullshit though so you still need to be prepared to fight them on that.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

Coq au Nandos posted:

Our warranty periods are backed by legislation for the life of the product.

So no matter how old, you get a new one? Huh, that’s generous consumer law. I thought two years were bordering on good.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

xzzy posted:

Not what I would have expected either. When we bought our watches the sales person was all "applecare is basically a new watch guarantee because they're unrepairable so anything that goes wrong we give you a new one".

I guess we'll see what I get. I'm fully expecting a new/refurbished watch, though.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Zwille posted:

So no matter how old, you get a new one? Huh, that’s generous consumer law. I thought two years were bordering on good.

It's only a relatively recent change - from memory it came from someone taking a dispute all the way up to the High Court.

Sorry, this is turning into a derail bragging about consumer law. Here's the relevant text from our Competition and Consumer Commission's website:

ACCC posted:

How long do consumers’ statutory rights apply?
Statutory rights are not limited to a set time period. Instead, they apply for the amount of time that is reasonable to expect, given the cost and quality of the item.
This means a consumer may be entitled to a remedy under their statutory rights after any manufacturer’s voluntary or extended warranty has expired.
For example, it is reasonable to expect that an expensive television should not develop a serious fault after 13 months of normal use. In this case, the consumer could argue the item was not of merchantable quality and ask for it to be repaired, even if the manufacturer’s voluntary warranty had expired.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah that's not quite what you said earlier as it explicitly notes you can reasonably expect an item to be repaired, but not replaced. (It is, of course, still vastly better than what we have here.)

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Australian Consumer Law means Apple Care is (mostly) irrelevant in Australia.

We basically get free hardware repairs for mechanical failure for 2 years with iOS devices and a minimum of 3 years for Macs.

5 for Mac Pros.

https://www.apple.com/au/legal/statutory-warranty/ <-- if for some reason you want to read about it.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
After months of my music app being stuck in an “installing” phase, I decided to tinker with it. It hadn’t been bothering me because I just use the “now playing” screen to control my iPhone.

Turns out my cellular wasn’t working either and my watch wasn’t letting me answer and hang up calls from it. It basically wasn’t pairing properly somehow, so I backed up and restored it and now I’m remembering all the things it used to do before having a stroke.

E: 99% of what I use it for is controlling music, seeing the time and getting text notifications. I didn’t notice that basically everything else broke at some point.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Aug 28, 2018

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
It's stupid to buy a watch now with the next version rumored to be out next month, right? My wife's Fitbit just broke, and she's ready to jump on the AW bandwagon.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
If she can wait, she should.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Well, it's only stupid if you pay full price. I haven't looked, but I'd expect Series 1 and 3 models to be on sale everywhere in the very near future (if not already). Don't get an S1, but an S3 should be fine for awhile.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The only new things the S4 is rumored to be bringing is a larger display (but same case size so not THAT much larger), better battery, and improved health monitoring.

I'm personally waiting before upgrading my S1, but if she needs a fitness tracker NOW and the above features don't sound worth the 2-3 weeks wait then go for it.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Those are like, the 3 best things to improve on the watch though...

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

As the only person that enjoys using the watch as a phone, I’d love a bigger/louder speaker on it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Pants Donkey posted:

The only new things the S4 is rumored to be bringing is a larger display (but same case size so not THAT much larger), better battery, and improved health monitoring.

I'm personally waiting before upgrading my S1, but if she needs a fitness tracker NOW and the above features don't sound worth the 2-3 weeks wait then go for it.

The improved/potentially new health monitoring seem like big reasons to wait if you’re switching from a Fitbit.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Pants Donkey posted:

The only new things

a larger display, better battery, improved health monitoring.

that sounds really, really good?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

That’s why I’m waiting? But for the average person it may not even be all that big a deal if the battery lasts an extra or the screen is slightly bigger. Now how exactly the health monitoring changes is the big question for me, but it’s already solid for regular people.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Oh yeah, I got my Apple Watch back yesterday, and they did, in fact, give me a "new" one. It might be refurbished, I don't know, but it's so very shiny again! Battery seems to be back to where it used to be (currently at 86% after 6 hours)

EDIT: Here's the new Apple Watch.

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Aug 30, 2018

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Hope there's some real impressive tech around the back is all I'm gonna say 😬😬😬

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Bigger screen is neat, but that watch face is loving disgusting.

Best part about that is the red dot is now an outline.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Bigger screen is neat, but that watch face is loving disgusting.

There’s a loving lot going on with it.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Might be the angle, but it seems slimmer.

I'm in either way, I have a series 0 and I cracked the bottom of the screen while on vacation so I'm primed for an upgrade.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Watch face looks like someone installed java and forgot to uncheck the toolbar install option.

The bigger display is a big draw but not enough to trigger an upgrade.. if the health tracking is light years improved, that'll push me over.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm still on a S0, and probably will be until it decides to stop working, or ios doesn't support the version of watchos it's now stuck on. I really have no clue what a killer feature that would make me want to upgrade would be.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

It's me. I'm the dumb person that wants a watchface with a billion complications no matter how ugly it looks.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Me too, that's why I usually have the modular watch face going.

But I draw the line at my watch looking like a 2005 winamp reskin. :colbert:

Violator
May 15, 2003

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I'm still on a S0, and probably will be until it decides to stop working, or ios doesn't support the version of watchos it's now stuck on. I really have no clue what a killer feature that would make me want to upgrade would be.

Speed! I used a S0 until I happened to be able to upgrade to a S3 for a great deal and I couldn’t believe how much better the experience is with the faster watch. I can’t overstate how much better watchOS is when everything launches almost instantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Violator posted:

Speed! I used a S0 until I happened to be able to upgrade to a S3 for a great deal and I couldn’t believe how much better the experience is with the faster watch. I can’t overstate how much better watchOS is when everything launches almost instantly.

The thing for me is I basically just use it for notifications and timers. Once in a while I'll reply to a message. I've yet to find an app with an interface that I enjoy using, or that is worth the tradeoff of not having to get my phone. Is siri quicker/more reliable on the s3?