Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Romulan emotion is channelled by the state into constant paranoia. It's a way healthier outlet than periodically turning into a murderous rapist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Is there a consensus that Vulcan Pon Farr is because of emotional repression rather than just a natural biological thing? Because, I mean, dogs go into heat every six months, and I know the dog I owned as a kid was pretty emotionally demonstrative.

So maybe Vulcans just have a seven year fertility cycle. In Amok Time, the whole ritual behind the entire thing sure seemed like a pre-Vulcan Enlightenment tradition.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Epicurius posted:

Is there a consensus that Vulcan Pon Farr is because of emotional repression rather than just a natural biological thing? Because, I mean, dogs go into heat every six months, and I know the dog I owned as a kid was pretty emotionally demonstrative.

So maybe Vulcans just have a seven year fertility cycle. In Amok Time, the whole ritual behind the entire thing sure seemed like a pre-Vulcan Enlightenment tradition.

I remarked on this a while back, but after all the hell Spock raises in the episode about how he has to go back to Vulcan and get some or he’s gonna die, in the end of the episode he’s fine. So my conclusion is that either Spock laid some pipe offscreen in between Kirk blacking out and waking back up, or that the problem here is not as biologically simple as he represented it and the catharsis of violence against Kirk was enough to offset his sexual frustration.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It's been quite explicitly laid out that catharsis of violence works on Pon Farr as well as sex

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

skasion posted:

I remarked on this a while back, but after all the hell Spock raises in the episode about how he has to go back to Vulcan and get some or he’s gonna die, in the end of the episode he’s fine. So my conclusion is that either Spock laid some pipe offscreen in between Kirk blacking out and waking back up, or that the problem here is not as biologically simple as he represented it and the catharsis of violence against Kirk was enough to offset his sexual frustration.

He slept with McCoy

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

They establish that vulcans can either gently caress it out or fight it out.

Old men like Tuvok have a chance of meditating their way through it, but for the early ones it's fatal if you don't relieve it somehow.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I get that loving in the holodeck isn't good enough but I find it surprising a good fight program with the safeties turned off wouldn't suffice

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Brawnfire posted:

I think Romulans deal with powerful emotions by directing them like terrifying lasers at others instead of bottling them up Vulcan-style, so instead of one animal lust-gently caress every seven years they have an increasingly co-abusive sexual relationship with someone compatible, and just wear more upholstery to cover the ugly green bruises.

Well I guess that explains all the fanart of geordi and bochra. as much as anything can.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

It's been quite explicitly laid out that catharsis of violence works on Pon Farr as well as sex

I either have to go to my home planet and get married, or someone can kick me in the dick for an hour

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pick posted:

I either have to go to my home planet and get married, or someone can kick me in the dick for an hour

My face after reading this post

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
The real question that nobody is asking is this: does everyone on Vulcan cycle all at once? Because if so, once every seven years Vulcan is an incredibly dangerous horny place.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Epicurius posted:

See, the thing that always catches me is that, as of Enterprise, both sexes have pon farr. I'm no biologist so I honestly don't know, but it seems disastrous for the propagation of a species for both sexes to have a cycle of fertility. At least for humans, it works where one sex is always fertile. But how does that line up for Vulcans? Do they have humanesque fertility cycles and also recreational sex like we do, just they go totally crazy once or twice a decade? Or is Vulcan fertility tied to pon farr?

I guess what I'm after is do Vulcans have sex outside of pon farr?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

I get that loving in the holodeck isn't good enough but I find it surprising a good fight program with the safeties turned off wouldn't suffice

I suspect it lacks the emotional aspect of trying to murder another living being.

Yeah that's probably why they have the challenge as an optional part of the ritual in the first place.

VanSandman posted:

The real question that nobody is asking is this: does everyone on Vulcan cycle all at once? Because if so, once every seven years Vulcan is an incredibly dangerous horny place.

No, they don't.

Also they (probably) don't only copulate every seven years, that's just when they HAVE to do it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I suspect it lacks the emotional aspect of trying to murder another living being.

What if you called in ensign Kim, create 100 holographic Kims, and they draw straws, 100 of them are transported out at random. There is a slim chance you are killing the real one.

Like how firing squads always had one gun loaded with blanks so you didn't know if you fired the killing shot.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Did they ever really do anything with the El-Aurians that made them matter or make sense?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The challenge aspect of the ritual is apparently supposed to provide an outlet to divorce your betrothal partner. It’s like “speak now or forever hold your peace” but you have to speak with your gat. It does also work to burn off the plak tow I guess, but that’s not how the episode brings it up.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

See, the thing that always catches me is that, as of Enterprise, both sexes have pon farr. ...

It's really quite simple. You see Enterprise was really badly written and Jolene Blalock is really attractive so they decided that T'Pol needed to be horny. It's honestly amazing that they didn't find a way to make her going through pon farr something that happened every season.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Pick posted:

Did they ever really do anything with the El-Aurians that made them matter or make sense?

They basically forgot about them after Generations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Drink-Mix Man posted:

They basically forgot about them after Generations.

They were real cool! But they're dead, so I guess we won't get into how! Oh well! So many great ideas too, what a shame!

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Brawnfire posted:

They were real cool! But they're dead, so I guess we won't get into how! Oh well! So many great ideas too, what a shame!

Guinan was like the ultimate go-nowhere character. They teased all this backstory and magic powers and just... [fart noise]

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Guinan was like the ultimate go-nowhere character. They teased all this backstory and magic powers and just... [fart noise]

Yeah I couldn't tell if I just couldn't remember but they did nothing

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Pick posted:

Yeah I couldn't tell if I just couldn't remember but they did nothing

I mean, I guess they did "Time's Arrow" and the Nexus story which explained her and Picard's mythical connection to debatable degrees of satisfaction. But they just seemed to run out of time/steam when it came all the stuff about her and Q and Q calling her a dangerous nymph or whatever

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

El Aurians:Bajorans::q:Prophets

But rather than blind worship, insularity, and being conquered as Bajor did, the El Aurians chose a path of reason, wanderlust, and the liberty of space travel.

That's my theory.

The ribbon is a thread between our reality and the Q Continuum, like the Bajoran wormhole and the temple of the prophets. It went after the El Aurians in the 23rd when Q was still simmering in anger that they abandoned him.

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Aug 24, 2018

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Generations made a huge mistake trying to link Guinan and Soren and all that together.

Guinan is Guinan. She has a mysterious (and far-reaching) past, which does not need to be explained. We do not need to know why she makes finger-gestures at Q, nor why he appears to take her seriously.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

I feel like in the original episode it was more "killing your best friend because your wife is banging another dude is quite the boner-killer" and then it got retconned into "violence works just as well" in every subsequent episode so they didn't have to go through with making the characters actually bang anyone (except for Star Trek III, Saavik totally banged Teen-Spock).

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Generations made a huge mistake trying to link Guinan and Soren and all that together.

Guinan is Guinan. She has a mysterious (and far-reaching) past, which does not need to be explained. We do not need to know why she makes finger-gestures at Q, nor why he appears to take her seriously.

She is also literally, canonically, Whoopi Goldberg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hra0I-w3XBY

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
So in Coming of Age (1988) do we think that Remmick and Quinn are already compromised by the Conspiracy parasites or are they aware of what's going on and fall victim to the parasites between the two episodes? Personally I think you can read it either way but I'm curious as to what the thread thinks about it.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Since the parasites were originally intended to be a long-term alien menace, I'd say they were probably already infected.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Yeah, that's what I thought, since they were trying to get Picard to come take a posting on Earth. But then again that would also make sense if they low key wanted bolster their forces and put your best on Earth to defend it.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

DrNutt posted:

So in Coming of Age (1988) do we think that Remmick and Quinn are already compromised by the Conspiracy parasites or are they aware of what's going on and fall victim to the parasites between the two episodes? Personally I think you can read it either way but I'm curious as to what the thread thinks about it.

I don't think Quinn is supposed to have been infected in Coming of Age, because in Conspiracy Picard remarks that Quinn seems unusually vibrant compared to the last time they met, and also when Picard mentions that Quinn warned him about a threat, Quinn deflects somewhat badly.

Whether Remmick is or not... may be more up in the air.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

I don't think Quinn is supposed to have been infected in Coming of Age, because in Conspiracy Picard remarks that Quinn seems unusually vibrant compared to the last time they met, and also when Picard mentions that Quinn warned him about a threat, Quinn deflects somewhat badly.

Yeah that makes sense. I thought Remmick was probably clean too because of his last minute face turn. But I still think it could probably go either way.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
Queen Arachnia is a babe

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

If I remember correctly, Remmick was doing a thorough check to see if anyone had been turned. Could mean that he was with Quinn until they were infected, or it could be that Quinn trusted the wrong man and was infected because he was getting too close.

On the one hand, why would Remmick bother with the investigation instead of just infecting Quinn earlier, on the other hand why would he have the queen in him if he wasn't patient zero?

My theory is he was implanted with the queen after the initial wave of infections to speed things along, but they never really make it explicit.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Humanity is in the process of sending a recon probe to Alpha Centauri to search for alien life. It will get there traveling at a fifth of the speed of light in 20 Earth years using a propulsion system that relies on a photon beam aiming at it's sails from Earth.

https://www.cnet.com/news/sending-tiny-spacecraft-to-alpha-centauri/

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Humanity is in the process of asking for funding for untested space programs.

Probably don't need to post it in the Star Trek thread until they have 20 years of practice and $50bn

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Gonz posted:

Humanity is in the process of sending a recon probe to Alpha Centauri to search for alien life. It will get there traveling at a fifth of the speed of light in 20 Earth years using a propulsion system that relies on a photon beam aiming at it's sails from Earth.

And if my grandmother had wheels she'd be a wagon.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Drone posted:

And if my grandmother had wheels she'd be a wagon.

And if my grandmother had a particularly erotic chapter in her journal

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Gonz posted:

And we accidentally slam a .2c space probe into an inhabited moon inciting GWII

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7I-zgnVf5E