Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
I'm pretty sure WotC would move more product if Ben Stark promised to never play the game again.

AlternateNu posted:

There was also a period where Aspect of Hydra was a two of in most Mono-G Devotion decks because it wasn’t uncommon for it to give +6 or more.

e: Theros/Khans era had a bunch of combat tricks that saw play in at least fringe decks- Titan's Strength was in almost every red beatdown deck of the era (arguably a fixed Giant Growth for red- that Scry tacked on was huge for Rabblemaster decks) and Gods Willing and Ranger's Guile were sometimes in the sideboard of W/G Devotion and R/G Monsters respectively to protect important targets (Whisperwood Elemental and Xenagos God of Revels being the most likely target in either deck) And, of course, Temur Battle Rage in any Red deck that thought it'd get to pop both parts of it.

Mr. Locke fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Aug 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

GoutPatrol posted:

Someone tell Ben Stark SaffronOlive has moved more merch in one against the odds video than his sorry rear end in every pro tour

its so hard to believe saffron olive would be against counterfeiting, i wish a link could be made between these two things but alas

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Mr. Locke posted:

I'm pretty sure WotC would move more product if Ben Stark promised to never play the game again.

Brian Braun-Duin wrote this article on TCGPlayer today that was basically just a ton of :words: about not letting other players being dicks get you down, i.e. it really hurt his feelings that Ben Stark publicly dumped on him over and over about the fact BBD qualified for Worlds over one of Stark's personal friends (BBD ended up winning Worlds).

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Angry Grimace posted:

Brian Braun-Duin wrote this article on TCGPlayer today that was basically just a ton of :words: about not letting other players being dicks get you down, i.e. it really hurt his feelings that Ben Stark publicly dumped on him over and over about the fact BBD qualified for Worlds over one of Stark's personal friends (BBD ended up winning Worlds).

I liked that article and it made me sad that "won the championship" wasn't good enough for most pros to say they should keep the qualifying spot.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Yeah I'd have to believe that building up a solid Twitch following along with making non-streaming Magic content has to be way more lucrative than the pro tour in terms of $/hr if you actually want to make a living playing this silly card game.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

whydirt posted:

Yeah I'd have to believe that building up a solid Twitch following along with making non-streaming Magic content has to be way more lucrative than the pro tour in terms of $/hr if you actually want to make a living playing this silly card game.

Stark admitted that was true when Kibler and Cedric kept saying it (Kibler said he only broke even on winnings when he won Worlds), but he and Sam Black were adamant that they just somehow, for whatever reason, suspect they are big drivers of profit to WOTC and therefore should get paid like they drive a bunch of profit to the game.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

the mtg pros probably dont move the needle much but arguing they shouldnt be well compensated is basically saying wotc needs more money and theres no loving way i will ever come down on that side of the line

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Even if WotC opened up the money faucet, judges should be way ahead of pros when it comes to being better compensated for being ambassadors for the game

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

wotc is never going to pay judges or pros because the community has shown them that they dont have to. they'll never pay judges to avoid the liability from their free workforce. they'll never pay pros because they have a legion of fans who agree that wotc needs to run the pro tour at a profit to themselves.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Wotc x10s tourny payout, interest soars, card prices increase x15?

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Lee Shi Tian put out a counter statement here

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1yLVnHJPFO3fUBTeyGxPBkr2Gza-JKDj8spWRwvmBYgM/edit

It's 6 pages long but this bit made me lol

After a disagreement with CalebD about which token got jaced with the -2 a judge ruled in Caleb's favour.

quote:

After the match, I asked the judge how he came to that verdict. He told me he made that decision based on the certainty in our speech.

lmbo that a mtg judge thinking he's some next level detective or some poo poo

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
don't remember past hof ballot seasons getting this ugly. normally it was limited to one or two questionable dudes. this year it seems every candidate left someone bitter.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

Star Man posted:

http://www.mtgcardmarket.com

Though they're doing site maintenance at the time of this post.

I think you mean http://www.cardmarket.com/Magic acually, which works just fine

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Kurtofan posted:

New format on Arena called Exploration, you can play two lands per turn and have no maximum hand size

my impulse would be to jam ~26 lands and a bunch of 2/4/6 drops, I wonder what the format is like.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Tim Raines IRL posted:

my impulse would be to jam ~26 lands and a bunch of 2/4/6 drops, I wonder what the format is like.

Noxious Gearhulk seems very good.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Rinkles posted:

don't remember past hof ballot seasons getting this ugly. normally it was limited to one or two questionable dudes. this year it seems every candidate left someone bitter.

I wonder how many people just handed back an empty ballot.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

AceClown posted:

After a disagreement with CalebD about which token got jaced with the -2 a judge ruled in Caleb's favour.

lmbo that a mtg judge thinking he's some next level detective or some poo poo

yea that bit made me realize the whole system is completely broken lol

you can loving bully people into making misplays by calling a judge over and being more confident than your opponent who doesn't speak english as their primary language

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Rinkles posted:

Everyone is a dick and wants to divert votes to their friends at the expense of someone else. Sam Black could have reported Nelson when the incident occurred and not several years after the fact.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Mr. Locke posted:

I wonder how many people just handed back an empty ballot.

No. Just write Chris Pikula and gently caress everyone else

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

The latest episode of Pro Points is a loving embarrassment.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Tim Raines IRL posted:

It's super fun, a lot of expensive jank is actually decent when you have 5-6 lands on turn 3. Vampire Sovereign has been a superstar in my thrown-together mono black aggro deck.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

ShaneB posted:

The latest episode of Pro Points is a loving embarrassment.

Is it just poo poo talking about HoF ballot people or terrible for other reasons?

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Spoiler season can’t come fast enough

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

meanolmrcloud posted:

Spoiler season can’t come fast enough

Here's a spoiler, WotC are going to blow the Ravnica return so badly it's going to make us wish for there to be a weekly Hall of Fame vote, but the only voters allowed are going to be Eric Froelich and Alex Bertoncini.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
If you have any hopes for what WotC will do next, they are already too high. Still, at least spoiler season might make this thread a little less fussy for a day.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Matsuri posted:

If you have any hopes for what WotC will do next, they are already too high. Still, at least spoiler season might make this thread a little less fussy for a day.

If you ever see the thread suddenly have 400+ posts in the couple hours after 11AM EST (or whenever spoilers go up on the mothership nowadays) then you can just skip ahead, because it's 10 pages of people tearing into Wizards for being stupid enough to fail to reprint the Shocks.

or i guess 10 pages of praising wizards for reprinting the ABU duals

Fooma
Oct 15, 2010

nom nom nom
So just got into M:TG Arena, kinda like it. I haven't played M:TG since Ice Age. Found out they may wipe going to open beta though? Is there something out right now that lets me play old classic blocks that I'm familiar with? I remember an old Planeswalkter game that let you play with unlimited/etc.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?

Fooma posted:

So just got into M:TG Arena, kinda like it. I haven't played M:TG since Ice Age. Found out they may wipe going to open beta though? Is there something out right now that lets me play old classic blocks that I'm familiar with? I remember an old Planeswalkter game that let you play with unlimited/etc.

There will be a wipe after the closed beta.

There is the older magic online game (MTGO), which is still being run in parallel, which has most of the old cards all the way to the current sets. Magic Arena currently only has cards that are in standard. MTGO isn't a free-to-play economy, but you can purchase the cards outright from online dealers.

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Any recommended articles that I could read for some insight on how to properly play control?

Honestly read Who's the beatdown: http://www.starcitygames.com/magic/fundamentals/3692_Whos_The_Beatdown.html

When you are playing an aggro control deck it's really important to understand which role you should be playing each turn. For example your opponent leads with Goblin Guide, you are control, you should look to counter or destroy anything they do to lower your life total or add creatures to the board. You lead with delver, opponent lava spikes you, your delver flips next turn. You are the beatdown, counter things that kill your creatures destroy creatures that can block yours. Your role can change turn by turn. If your opponent plays two goblin guides second turn after you flip your delver, you are no longer the beatdown.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

teddust posted:

Honestly read Who's the beatdown: http://www.starcitygames.com/magic/fundamentals/3692_Whos_The_Beatdown.html

When you are playing an aggro control deck it's really important to understand which role you should be playing each turn. For example your opponent leads with Goblin Guide, you are control, you should look to counter or destroy anything they do to lower your life total or add creatures to the board. You lead with delver, opponent lava spikes you, your delver flips next turn. You are the beatdown, counter things that kill your creatures destroy creatures that can block yours. Your role can change turn by turn. If your opponent plays two goblin guides second turn after you flip your delver, you are no longer the beatdown.

Thanks for the link and write up, I'll definitely give it a read!

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
My favorite part of Who's The Beatdown is the fact that the example cards are Reserved List and so utterly alien to newer players.

Of course, nothing but playing back then would let you understand why every matchup revolves around Cursed Scroll.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

mossyfisk posted:

My favorite part of Who's The Beatdown is the fact that the example cards are Reserved List and so utterly alien to newer players.

Of course, nothing but playing back then would let you understand why every matchup revolves around Cursed Scroll.

My favorite part is how Mike Flores was able to parlay it into being a ~respected Magic theorist~ or something for 15 years.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Elyv posted:

My favorite part is how Mike Flores was able to parlay it into being a ~respected Magic theorist~ or something for 15 years.

Lol exactly

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I think that I've seen discussion that what Flores wrote about in "Who's the Beatdown" wasn't even novel and already common knowledge when he wrote it.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
MTG:Arena: what are some of the best control lists currently? i'm in the mood for something different after playing aggro/midrange so far.

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006
ASK ME ABOUT MY BORDERLINE ALCOHOLISM

Star Man posted:

I think that I've seen discussion that what Flores wrote about in "Who's the Beatdown" wasn't even novel and already common knowledge when he wrote it.

Mike Flores was always the MTG equivalent of science-popularization writers/figureheads: his skill wasn't in advancing the craft so much as knowing how to distill it into something Joe FNM/PTQ could understand and start putting into practice.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

botany posted:

MTG:Arena: what are some of the best control lists currently? i'm in the mood for something different after playing aggro/midrange so far.

Bant Turbofog Turns.

Nothing is more controlling than unlimited turns.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Owlbear Camus posted:

Bant Turbofog Turns.

Nothing is more controlling than unlimited turns.

oh god i hate playing against that

... do you have a list

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Fooma posted:

There's Magic the Gathering Online (MTGO), it costs money, but is a full but awful experience. The game you're thinking of might be the Shandalar game, which you have to do some gimmicks to play https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2ElS9C7qik

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The Shandalar game is legit awesome and if they made another one of those with an actual good card pool it would be rad