Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I guess cnut the great was so turned off by the ST he completely abandoned this thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Edit: Wrong thread

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Papercut posted:

It's not pointless, it's a very effective way to illustrate the difference between relying on source material versus relying on outside sources.

Right: we could look at other examples, like the red droid at the start of A New Hope who unambiguously either kills himself to escape slavery or is literally scared to death.

(The EU claims that the red guy is actually gladly sacrificing himself to save the Republic, which is obvious horseshit.)

...but Jakku cuts way deeper, because it shows that people could not and did not understand the story. R2 left a map in the remains of the New Jedi temple, and Max Von Sydow found the map on Jakku. Therefore the New Jedi were based in Jakku. Why did Luke choose this location? Obviously because it’s his homeworld, Tatooine.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Right: we could look at other examples, like the red droid at the start of A New Hope who unambiguously either kills himself to escape slavery or is literally scared to death.

(The EU claims that the red guy is actually gladly sacrificing himself to save the Republic, which is obvious horseshit.)

you take that back about my boy Skippy

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Cross-Section posted:

you take that back about my boy Skippy

I’m referring to the remake of Skippy.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
He exploded because the Jawas are meant to be the space equivalent of used car salesmen who try to push faulty products. Skippy obviously hadn't been properly maintained and broke down before the Jaws could skip town.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Skippy was ill, but breaking down (possibly not fatally) at that moment was not a coincidence.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Obviously because it’s his homeworld, Tatooine.

But he hated tattooine? (han’s rescue notwithstanding)

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
After a while he started to miss it. Non-droid deathsports being illegal in the Core and all.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

...but Jakku cuts way deeper, because it shows that people could not and did not understand the story. R2 left a map in the remains of the New Jedi temple, and Max Von Sydow found the map on Jakku. Therefore the New Jedi were based in Jakku. Why did Luke choose this location? Obviously because it’s his homeworld, Tatooine.

Does R2 leave the map in the remains of the new Jedi temple? Also, does Max Von Sydow say he found it on Jakku? Also, does it really follow that because Luke founded the temple on Jakku that Jakku must be his homeworld?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Jakku is a Tatooine.

Question Friend
Aug 3, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Bongo Bill posted:

Skippy was ill, but breaking down (possibly not fatally) at that moment was not a coincidence.

It's a movie

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
It kinda makes sense that a bunch of horny jedi were setup in a jedi boarding school in the middle of nowhere with a useless jedi master that drove the school into the ground and 16 odd years later a genetically super jedi shows up on the same planet with no idea where her quickly disappearing parents had gone.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It's not a diegetic coincidence.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

MrMojok posted:

I guess cnut the great was so turned off by the ST he completely abandoned this thread?

I thought he got arrested

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

RBA Starblade posted:

I thought he got arrested

yes indeed, for disrespecting canon.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

NotJustANumber99 posted:

It kinda makes sense that a bunch of horny jedi were setup in a jedi boarding school in the middle of nowhere with a useless jedi master that drove the school into the ground and 16 odd years later a genetically super jedi shows up on the same planet with no idea where her quickly disappearing parents had gone.

No, it totally does. The Jedi temple being on Jakku is the least controversial thing there to me. Except it does contradict Ben saying her parents were paupers, unless one student escaped the slaughter and lived to get down with the locals

Question Friend
Aug 3, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Bongo Bill posted:

It's not a diegetic coincidence.

The droid was moving under his own power for the first time in a long time so logically that's when the malfunction would happen, and it was to show what kind of business the jawas run and allow R2 to be bought and continue the story. There's nothing whatsoever to suggest he committed suicide and I can't believe I made a serious response to your dumb contrarian poo poo

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

PostNouveau posted:

No, it totally does. The Jedi temple being on Jakku is the least controversial thing there to me. Except it does contradict Ben saying her parents were paupers, unless one student escaped the slaughter and lived to get down with the locals

Clearly he meant they were spiritually bereft.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

Except it does contradict Ben saying her parents were paupers

Star wars kinda has form for dudes named Ben not being totally straight with some young prodigy about who their parents are.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Star wars kinda has form for dudes named Ben not being totally straight with some young prodigy about who their parents are.

That scene is clearly meant to mirror the Vader "No I am your father" scene in Empire. He even says she's knows it and is hiding it from herself, which is very much like "search your feelings, you know it to be true".

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
It's pretty obvious that Luke is Rey's dad and Leia is her mom. That's why she has super mutant powers.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Mechafunkzilla posted:

It's pretty obvious that Luke is Rey's dad and Leia is her mom. That's why she has super mutant powers.

Yeah, they left her behind on Jakku because she was a flipper baby. Her flippers are gonna be a big reveal in Episode IX.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Question Friend posted:

The droid was moving under his own power for the first time in a long time so logically that's when the malfunction would happen, and it was to show what kind of business the jawas run and allow R2 to be bought and continue the story. There's nothing whatsoever to suggest he committed suicide and I can't believe I made a serious response to your dumb contrarian poo poo

It had a "bad motivator." What do you think that means?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

It? wtf?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

PostNouveau posted:

Does R2 leave the map in the remains of the new Jedi temple? Also, does Max Von Sydow say he found it on Jakku? Also, does it really follow that because Luke founded the temple on Jakku that Jakku must be his homeworld?

Does R2 leave the map in the remains of the new Jedi temple?

Yes; the map is the exact same shape as the empty hole in R2’s memory. Luke abandoned R2 at the temple site after the fire, so R2 had no opportunity to hide it elsewhere.

Also, does Max Von Sydow say he found it on Jakku?

Yes; the opening text says he found the map on Jakku, and then called Leia to come get it.

Also, does it really follow that because Luke founded the temple on Jakku that Jakku must be his homeworld?

Luke’s entire New Jedi religion was based around the legend of how he saved Anakin from the scary Vader. It would make sense to build the temple at the site of Anakin’s miraculous birth - certainly more sense than a choosing a random hellhole.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

wow jakku really is tatooine

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Zas posted:

wow jakku really is tatooine

That’s true, they are the same thing in a literal and not merely thematic or metaphoric sense. This is what they call in the newspaper business a “fact.”

BiggestBatman
Aug 23, 2018
Guys. What if, and try to follow me here. What if at the end of the next movie there's a big showdown on Jakku and it turns out that it truly was Tattooine but they changed the name for some inane reason and it's a big twist and they publish a couple of books saying that all of the books that contradicted this were in-universe novels propping up the galactic myth that jakku was not tattooine renamed for some inane reason and all of this becomes solid steel story group canon. It would be a hell of a twist.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I think that if Jakku had been the site of the temple and by extension his greatest failure, Luke wouldn't so casually say of it that it is "pretty much nowhere."

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Bongo Bill posted:

I think that if Jakku had been the site of the temple and by extension his greatest failure, Luke wouldn't so casually say of it that it is "pretty much nowhere."

you think he wouldn't say that either given that jakku is closer to civilization than tatooine is according to The Story Group Canon

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Does R2 leave the map in the remains of the new Jedi temple?

Yes; the map is the exact same shape as the empty hole in R2’s memory. Luke abandoned R2 at the temple site after the fire, so R2 had no opportunity to hide it elsewhere.

Do we know for sure Luke abandoned R2 there?

Also, does Max Von Sydow say he found it on Jakku?

Yes; the opening text says he found the map on Jakku, and then called Leia to come get it.

K, cool I straight-up didn't remember that.

Also, does it really follow that because Luke founded the temple on Jakku that Jakku must be his homeworld?

Luke’s entire New Jedi religion was based around the legend of how he saved Anakin from the scary Vader. It would make sense to build the temple at the site of Anakin’s miraculous birth - certainly more sense than a choosing a random hellhole.

You could make this kind of logical leap for the forest moon of Endor. That's basically the site of Luke saving Anakin, so maybe the Jedi temple was there and not Jakku.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

BiggestBatman posted:

Guys. What if, and try to follow me here. What if at the end of the next movie there's a big showdown on Jakku and it turns out that it truly was Tattooine but they changed the name for some inane reason and it's a big twist and they publish a couple of books saying that all of the books that contradicted this were in-universe novels propping up the galactic myth that jakku was not tattooine renamed for some inane reason and all of this becomes solid steel story group canon. It would be a hell of a twist.

It wouldn't be that great of a twist because there are already a bunch of WINK WINK clues in the movies that Jakku is Tattooine.

BiggestBatman
Aug 23, 2018

Papercut posted:

It wouldn't be that great of a twist because there are already a bunch of WINK WINK clues in the movies that Jakku is Tattooine.

But then we could have all these threads where people talk about how they knew it was coming and how they did all the foreshadowing for it. Just cause you see it coming doesn't mean a twist is bad.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Obviously Abrams will change who Rey's parents are in Episode IX. It's hard to imagine him doing anything else.

Have they cancelled Johnson's trilogy yet, btw? Rumour was that the first one was going to be in 2020 but if that's the case they'd need to have started moving on it now, and there's been not a peep on it whatsoever.

On one hand, it would be bad to announce it because it would indicate that they have no faith in Episode IX and expect it to fail (reasonable). But on the other, saying Rian Johnson is no longer involved in Star Wars going forward would probably be a good thing from a PR perspective.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Aug 25, 2018

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

cancelling Johnson’s trilogy would make the idiots happy yeah.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
It would also prevent more bad movies being made, but something would no doubt show up to fill the vacuum.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CelticPredator posted:

cancelling Johnson’s trilogy would make the idiots happy yeah.

I wonder what their strategy will be post-Episode IX. Johnson's trilogy is cancelled quietly, of course. Do they continue on with something else or do they hibernate the movies and concentrate on TV for a few years? What do they do when they come back? Do they try to reboot the whole thing from scratch?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

They're going to keep bombarding us with terrible poo poo until we're all dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Wheat Loaf posted:

I wonder what their strategy will be post-Episode IX. Johnson's trilogy is cancelled quietly, of course. Do they continue on with something else or do they hibernate the movies and concentrate on TV for a few years? What do they do when they come back? Do they try to reboot the whole thing from scratch?

They kill Star Wars and make fun of the fans.