Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

You mean this track? That's part of the original film, though they took it from an album by the German krautrock band Neu!

Samuel Clemens fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Aug 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Samuel Clemens posted:

You mean this track? That's part of the original film, though they took it from an album by the German krautrock band Neu!

Yeah, the soundtrack in general just sounded different from other movies of it's ilk and era, so I figured it was like that one time I rented a copy of Nosferatu except all the music was replaced by a metal band. I love me some crazy soundtracks.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Spatulater bro! posted:

I watched The Flying Guillotine on Netflix. Really awesome movie. I wish Netflix had the Chinese audio as an option :(

Heroic Trio has Anthony Wong guillotining it up as a minor villain.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Mantis42 posted:

The real black sheep of the loose series is probably Fatal Flying Guillotine, which only exists "waterlogged vhs" quality and the guillotines themselves are basically bizarre drones.

THIS IS THE ONE! The lovely knockoff with a hobo that I watched while drunk and high at a party in college!

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Btw, I just finished Five Element Ninjas and its everything this thread promised and more. What an insane thrillride of a movie, Chang Cheh at his absolute best.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Jimbot posted:

You know one of my favorite aspects of the old kung fu films are the titles. Films just aren't called that any more.

Marksman of the AR-15 at 1000 Yards Easy

doesn't quite put asses in theaters

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Man, everyone talks about the last fight in Drunken Master 2, but I love the fight under the train with Lau Kar-leung. Just watching it makes my back hurt though.

Is Jackie Chan officially retired from traditional kung fu movies? The last thing I remember seeing him advertised in was The Foreigner which, uhhhhh...

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

He was in Kung Fu Yoga last year. Never saw it.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I know he said he's done doing crazy stunts, not sure if that extends do doing more martial art films.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
Kung Fu Yoga is kinda hilarious Chinese propaganda and doesn't have much good Kung Fu action, but the bad guy does have Bollywood physics on his side and it's fun to watch

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Also he's doing another Rush Hour, apparently.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
He's currently making a movie with John Cena, also.

How's the selection of Kung Fu on Amazon Prime?

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Aug 25, 2018

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I haven't had Prime in a while but IIRC they have basically all the Shaw Brothers movies. Or at least all the ones on the Celestial Pictures website: http://shawbrothersuniverse.com/shaw-brothers-classic-film-collection/

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Unfortunately most of them are English-dub only for audio

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

I watched Vampire Cleanup Department over the last couple nights and it made me very nostalgic for some Lam Ching Ying jumping vampire flicks

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

How's the selection of Kung Fu on Amazon Prime?

Watch Wheels on Meals.

They have a bunch of Sammo/Yuen Biao movies at the moment - Dreadnaught, Magnificent Butcher, Prodigal Son, Knockabout, Eastern Condors.

Also Five Element Ninja & 36th Chamber of Shaolin.

Edit: Oh, most/all of them are dubs. Ouch. Watch Wheels on Meals and Dreadnaught anyway.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

Excellent news

https://twitter.com/Eurekavideo/status/1035165758232436736

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Oh, hell yeah!

Wait, aren't there six films?

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

It does seem a bit arbitrary, it might be because the first three films are the only ones both directed by Tsui Hark and starring Jet Li.

edit: The link actually says the set includes the final film Once Upon a Time in China and America as a special feature, so it officially has all the films in the series with Jet Li.

Nroo fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Sep 9, 2018

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I can't believe I've been sleeping on Zu: Warriors from the Magic Mountain all these years. It's everything I ever wanted out of fantasy cinema.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Mantis42 posted:

Btw, I just finished Five Element Ninjas and its everything this thread promised and more. What an insane thrillride of a movie, Chang Cheh at his absolute best.

Five element ninjas loving owns owns owns. I got to watch a film print at the new Beverly for a Shaw brothers retrospective

The only weak parts were the bad girl ninja who was undercooked and I felt the initial opposing team (the one who got beaten by the good house) were pretty useless. Just getting owned constantly

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

There really needs to be a remaster and blu-ray release of The Swordsman Trilogy. Prop horses cleft in twain in 1080p.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Nroo posted:

There really needs to be a remaster and blu-ray release of The Swordsman Trilogy. Prop horses cleft in twain in 1080p.

Swordsman II is one of my favorite movies ever.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

What are the good classic Michelle Yeoh martial arts movies? The only ones of hers I've ever seen aside from Crouching Tiger are the bad ones she did with Cynthia Rothrock. Is Wing Chun supposed to be good?

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

pospysyl posted:

Is Wing Chun supposed to be good?

Wing Chun was fun, IMO, definitely worth a digital rental. Michelle kicks the butts of a bunch of creeps, etc.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

pospysyl posted:

What are the good classic Michelle Yeoh martial arts movies? The only ones of hers I've ever seen aside from Crouching Tiger are the bad ones she did with Cynthia Rothrock. Is Wing Chun supposed to be good?

Wing Chun is loving awesome.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

Wing Chun is great. You should watch Supercop right now. Then you should watch both Heroic Trio movies, because they're bananas. She's also in Taichi Master (or Twin Warriors). I have a soft spot for Yes Madam, and you're reminding me that I haven't watched enough of her early stuff.

This is where I mention that Cynthia Rothrock want great in her part of Millionaire's Express (Shanghai Express), the Kung Fu version of It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

She's great in Righting Wrongs (aka Above the Law) as well, where she co-stars with Yuen Biao.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

I feel like any movie with Yuen Biao is somehow underrated

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

Swordsman II is one of my favorite movies ever.

It's incredibly good.

pospysyl posted:

Hey now, Yes, Madam! is by no definition of the word "bad"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oh8KnmRvqd0

Michelle Yeoh also stars in its psuedo-sequel Royal Warriors which is also great, AND streaming on Prime.

Nroo fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Sep 10, 2018

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

brocked posted:

I feel like any movie with Yuen Biao is somehow underrated

Agreed.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

brocked posted:

Wing Chun is great. You should watch Supercop right now. Then you should watch both Heroic Trio movies, because they're bananas. She's also in Taichi Master (or Twin Warriors). I have a soft spot for Yes Madam, and you're reminding me that I haven't watched enough of her early stuff.

This is where I mention that Cynthia Rothrock want great in her part of Millionaire's Express (Shanghai Express), the Kung Fu version of It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World.

Yeah, Heroic Trio and Executioners are both loving bonkers. They used to play them on one of the cable channels (TNT?) all the time when I was growing up with little stinger interviews with Michelle Yeoh, so I have a soft spot for them.

Is there a name for the kind of weird spinny fight choreography in those movies? I don't think I've ever seen another movie with that style, but there's a lot of kung fu and wuxia stuff from that era I've never seen.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

I love wuxia films but sometimes I feel a little guilty about how many HK stuntmen have had to die for the sake of my entertainment

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

RichterIX posted:

Is there a name for the kind of weird spinny fight choreography in those movies? I don't think I've ever seen another movie with that style, but there's a lot of kung fu and wuxia stuff from that era I've never seen.
Do you mean the part where everything is ridiculously sped up? If so, that's apparently referred to as 'undercrank(ing)'.

When used well (e.g. I just rewatched Jet Li's "Fist of Legend" and I'm pretty sure it's used a bunch there) it doesn't necessarily get in your face unless you're looking for it, it just enhances the fighters' natural speed. In that Yes, Madam clip it seems a bit overdone (to my non expert eyes) because it is in your face and hard to ignore - it starts to get into Charlie Chaplin territory.

If you just meant extraneous twirling/flipping/spinning...no idea. I bet somebody out there has a way of ranking MA films based on how many times the fighters present their back to the enemy :v:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

I love that fight.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I love wuxia films but sometimes I feel a little guilty about how many HK stuntmen have had to die for the sake of my entertainment
What are the actual figures on that?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Coaaab posted:

What are the actual figures on that?

Every time I see someone land on some stairs or the edge of a table I just assume they're dead

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

In the long and tragic history of Chinese civilization, Golden Harvest ranks behind only the Taiping Rebellion and the Great Leap Forward in body count.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I’ve been told that the incredible stunt work on late 20th-century Hong Kong was an interesting side effect of free high quality health care.

Somebody gets busted on-set they don’t care, they get free healin’ and are back to work a few days/months later.

Please don’t fact-check me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Remulak posted:

I’ve been told that the incredible stunt work on late 20th-century Hong Kong was an interesting side effect of free high quality health care.

Somebody gets busted on-set they don’t care, they get free healin’ and are back to work a few days/months later.

Please don’t fact-check me.

More like an interesting side effect of the last gasp of traditional Chinese opera resulting in a bunch of classically (read: horrifically abused) trained young men with certain... unique skills and a terrible eating habit being desperate for any work they could get.