Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Just thought I'd better check.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

XavierGenisi posted:

Wave Burner always starts shooting down. On top of that, Jet King Robo is only vulnerable at the cockpit, and double jump isn't enough to reach it on it's own and hit it with wave burner.

If you dash, Bass's jump will be higher. It is possible to hit his cockpit with the buster shooting straight after a dash-double jump. I don't use his weakness at all, just equip Super Buster and go to town, switching to remote mine for the red crystal and copy vision for the homing orb, keep the treads intact because his ram attack is easily avoidable with the dash-double jump and is basically free hits on him.

King himself can be killed with lightning bolt, having enough to take him down if you have energy saver. Dash-double jump out of range of his jumps, fire it off, it's almost a free fight.

Edit: granted, dash-double jump sucks on the GBA version. It's a non-issue on the SNES, but with only command dash it's kinda awful!

Oyster fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Aug 22, 2018

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

Oyster posted:

If you dash, Bass's jump will be higher. It is possible to hit his cockpit with the buster shooting straight after a dash-double jump. I don't use his weakness at all, just equip Super Buster and go to town, switching to remote mine for the red crystal and copy vision for the homing orb.

King himself can be killed with lightning bolt, having enough to take him down if you have energy saver. You're also invulnerable while using it, it's almost a free fight.

Edit: granted, dash-double jump sucks on the GBA version. It's a non-issue on the SNES, but with only command dash it's kinda awful!

command dash on GBA is so awful that I might as well not use it ever.

Doesn't matter anyways, because I just beat Wily! After all the horseshit in the game, the last stage is just more of the same. There's recovery items and/or infinitely spawning enemies in between all the boss refights, there's a free extra life right before Dynamo Man, though if I wasn't using Bass, I would have to use ice wall to traverse the section right before him, and gently caress that. Dynamo Man sucks, Burner Man sucks, and everything else isn't terribly difficult with their weaknesses. Wily is a bit of a mess. I don't know how to dodge his ramming attack. I guess I double jump with tight timing? I don't know. I just use the powered buster and go to town, because it's faster than using Remote Mine (or feels faster at any rate). And the Capsule fight sucks, but after literally everything else, it doesn't feel too bad. Double jump lets me reach Wily and hit him with Magic Card, no matter where he's at, so it's a matter of getting a good Wily Machine fight down, and then getting decent enough at dodging the Capsule.

I beat the game as Bass on my own GBA, after years of not being able to beat it. I'm glad it's finally done.

Also, gently caress this game. I'm not going to do a Megaman playthrough.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
Double tap dash on GBA was absolutely 100% unplayable. It seriously only registered about 1/3rd of the time and I have NO idea how it got past any form of quality control.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
remind me did mm&b use down+jump to dash?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

remind me did mm&b use down+jump to dash?

That was only for Megaman's slide just like every other game. For Bass you could only dash by double tapping left or right on the d-pad (though in the SNES version there was also a dedicated button for it ala the X series onward).

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Command dash should be against the Geneva convention.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Couple interesting interviews about Megaman 11.

https://www.gonintendo.com/stories/316492-mega-man-11-video-interview-with-capcom

https://www.gonintendo.com/stories/316500-capcom-on-fans-understanding-the-intricate-details-of-mega-man-a

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Screaming Idiot posted:

I've started a weaponless playthrough of MMX since it's been nearly twenty years since I've done it, and so far I am getting my rear end kicked. I am super rusty.

This sounded pretty interesting, so I did it last night. Was pretty fun!
The only real hurdles were Armored Armadillo and Kaiser Sigma, this was a neat way to play the game.

Wonder how feasible it'd be to do in the other games.
X3 buster-only seems like it'd be rough, considering how a lot of bosses are without their weaknesses.
X6 non-Zero sword-only seems like it'd be fun painful interesting.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

X3 any run is simple because the bosses all just try to smash you into the wall.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Someone with more talent that me, make an edit of Day of Sigma that replaces Dr Light's voice with the MM8 Dr Light.

*X opens his eyes for the first time and turns his head towards Dr Light*

X: Who...who are you?

Dr Light: DAT'S A GOOD QWESTION

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Someone with more talent that me, make an edit of Day of Sigma that replaces Dr Light's voice with the MM8 Dr Light.

*X opens his eyes for the first time and turns his head towards Dr Light*

X: Who...who are you?

Dr Light: DAT'S A GOOD QWESTION

Day of Sigma is funnier than MM8 on its own.

*X has a perfect aerial advantage over a runaway mechaniloid where he can rain fully charged plasma bolts with relative impunity*
*X hurls himself out of the helicopter for no reason*

"HIT THE GENERATOR, X! QUACK!"
*X doesn't even bother to circle around and shoot the giant glowing red weak point and instead feebly points his gun straight at Genericman for no reason*

"How can a hunter like Vile go Maverick?"
"I don't know, X. HIS NAME. IS loving. VILE. AND HE IS LITERALLY MADE OF GUNS. We'll never know."

"X is better than you because he worries. I know this because my PHD in botany means I'm also a qualified robopsychologist."
*Sigma rightfully chooses that moment to kill all humans*

"How did you know it was me who betrayed you all, Zero?"
"YOU'RE THE ONLY ONE WHO USES A KICKASS SWORD, MORON."

"Lay down your arms, X!"
*X literally detaches his arm for no reason*

"X, you are the first robot to truly be able to think for himself! You're the link between humanity and robots!"
*X wakes up long enough to give Sigma cool face tattoos and then passes out for no reason*

"I could kill both of you now, like I killed everyone else... but I won't! BWAAHAAHAA! BWAAAHAA! HAAAHABWAA! BWAAAA! EVOLUTION."
*Sigma lets X and Zero live for no reason EVOLUTION*

Whomever called 21XX the "Century of Stupidity" was spot-on.

Screaming Idiot fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Aug 25, 2018

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
https://twitter.com/YachtClubGames/status/1033413079881506816

Nintendo's doing an indie direct on the 28th, so my guess is they'll announce a release date for King of Cards there and show off whatever this is (battle mode?) very soon afterwards.

Some EU retailer put up a March 19 placeholder for a Shovel Knight Treasure Trove retail release on Switch, so maybe they'll say something about that as well.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Twin Devil in MM9 is a lovely boss.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
I just noticed MM8 logo has gears behind the logo and MM11 has gears as the main gimmick. Coincidence???? :pwn:

yeah i know it's generic mecha decor don't @ me

The Bold Kobold
Aug 11, 2014

Bold to the point of certain death.

Screaming Idiot posted:

"Lay down your arms, X!"
*X literally detaches his arm for no reason*

His arm is a loving gun.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

The Bold Kobold posted:

His arm is a loving gun.

Well if you're gonna go that route then why didn't he detach both arms, since they can both become the X-Buster?

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

TaurusOxford posted:

Well if you're gonna go that route then why didn't he detach both arms, since they can both become the X-Buster?

how do you detatch the other arm if you only have one arm left, answer me that jack

and no, don't put up a gif of android 16 doing that awesome thing,that's cheating

The Bold Kobold
Aug 11, 2014

TaurusOxford posted:

I thought that was only his right one?

And before you ask I think they might have switched which one in between the SNES and PS1 unless I'm wrong.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Fargin Icehole posted:

how do you detatch the other arm if you only have one arm left, answer me that jack

and no, don't put up a gif of android 16 doing that awesome thing,that's cheating

X doesn't use his other arm to take his arm off - it literally just falls off (yes, I JUST checked the scene in Day of Sigma OVA to confirm)

The Bold Kobold posted:

I thought that was only his right one?

And before you ask I think they might have switched which one in between the SNES and PS1 unless I'm wrong.

The X4 intro cutscene has X using his buster with both arms.

TaurusOxford fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Aug 26, 2018

The Bold Kobold
Aug 11, 2014

Well poo poo, call me corrected.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vx-iLArPDPU

The Bold Kobold
Aug 11, 2014

I'm still a little bit sad that a sequel to Maverick Hunter X isn't likely at all to happen.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

TaurusOxford posted:

The X4 intro cutscene has X using his buster with both arms.

I think X2's buster upgrade is partially just Light telling him, "You can use both arms, you know." too.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

The Bold Kobold posted:

His arm is a loving gun.

Yeah, he could have shot Sigma right there and then and saved Abel city. And he didn't, because X is a fuckup.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

The Bold Kobold posted:

His arm is a loving gun.

I think the question is more "why didn't he blow sigmas head off"

Edit^^^^what that person said

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The Bold Kobold posted:

I'm still a little bit sad that a sequel to Maverick Hunter X isn't likely at all to happen.

It is a shame since the later games could benefit greatly from remakes.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Megaman X2 is perfect and Maverick Hunter X was inferior to the original game in every way, fight me.

Screaming Idiot fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Aug 27, 2018

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Screaming Idiot posted:

Megaman X2 is perfect and Maverick Hunter X was inferior to the original game in every way, fight me.

I like Maverick Hunter X and I don't think anyone is gonna fight over those opinions.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Electric Phantasm posted:

I like Maverick Hunter X and I don't think anyone is gonna fight over those opinions.

Good, because my noodly arms can do no harm and my punches are more sad than threatening. Still, Megaman X and X2 are perfect and don't need improved.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Does Mega Man 8 not save what Wily Castle stage you’re on? I beat 3 of them last night, saved after the 3rd one and now it wants me to start from the first again.:crossarms:

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

It would've been neat if they'd gotten the chance to fix up the later X games, but with only MHX as an example I dunno if they would've done that or just more graphical conversion jobs with items shuffled and added features. Speaking generously I can imagine they played MHX safe since X1 doesn't have a ton of flaws to address, but who knows.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Does Mega Man 8 not save what Wily Castle stage you’re on? I beat 3 of them last night, saved after the 3rd one and now it wants me to start from the first again.:crossarms:

I know Megaman 9 goddamn doesn't and it's killed my urge to pick it back up. gently caress you, Inti, I'm glad you're blacklisted from Megaman! :argh:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

It was at its dumbest point in 10 what with how you can save on the Wily levels just fine

...only if you're playing on easy.

I'm real glad that crap is no longer an issue with the legacy collections.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

It doesn’t really bother me that much since the game has been piss easy but I just found it funny that it prompts for a save after every Wily stage and then doesn’t actually save.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Vile Mode in MHX was ridiculously fun and I loved it.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

SeANMcBAY posted:

It doesn’t really bother me that much since the game has been piss easy but I just found it funny that it prompts for a save after every Wily stage and then doesn’t actually save.

Yeah that's Megaman.

They transitioned to actually saving your progress past the 8 robot masters/mavericks at some point, but gently caress if I could tell you when, since I'll never trust it after getting used to playing the endgame in one go in all the games.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Phantasium posted:

Yeah that's Megaman.

They transitioned to actually saving your progress past the 8 robot masters/mavericks at some point, but gently caress if I could tell you when, since I'll never trust it after getting used to playing the endgame in one go in all the games.

Actually, the X series (and every series after that) let you save your progress in the fortress stages in every game from X4 onwards but for some reason the only time the Classic series has ever done that is if you're playing MM10 on Easy Mode, it's weird. Also, I know for a fact that both MM7 and X2 have passwords that will take you directly to the final stage, so presumably passwords must exist for the fortress stages before those as well.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Aug 27, 2018

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Yeah, and my point was I had no idea that was the case because I learned to never trust it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
speaking of final levels. i find mm1/mmx1 boss encounters way better than the lame teleport rooms. the teleport rooms just kill the flow dead.