Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
they’re definitely playing up tombstone a lot but he’s definitely beatable and every team has probably spent months thinking about how they would defeat him if they got to the end. that said tombstone is loving great because it’s crazy durable with a weapon that turns everyone else into bits, but bronco will always have a place in my heart because it’s definitely the most entertaining bot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

oh jay posted:

Warrior Dragon continues to confuse and infuriate me. Is it a spinner with a bonus flipper? Is it a flipper with a bonus spinner? Whatever it's trying to be it's amazingly ineffective and unreliable at it.

flipper is powered by the momentum of the spinner.

So if the spinner stops working....

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I understand "how" it works. I just want to know the "why." Team Whyachi knows how to build bots. Is there something I'm missing as to why this design is better than either a basic spinner or flipper or even a wedge bot?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Yeah to me it just seems to be worlds most boring gimmmick.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Man, Duck is something else though. Can't judge a book by it's cover. That robot can withstand a lot.

Maybe I'm nuts, but I thought Warrior Dragon got robbed. Yeah, its primary weapon didn't function ... ever during the fight, but at least it didn't spend the whole fight spazzing around the ring.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Since Warhead virtually destroyed its own weapon, was dominant for most of the fight despite that dramatic injury and Warrior Dragon doing absolutely nothing with their primary weapon I thought it was the obvious call.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
didn't they mention at one point either this episode or last that duck had some sort of unibody design? it helped make it extra durable at the expense of lack of customization and easy repair

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

logikv9 posted:

didn't they mention at one point either this episode or last that duck had some sort of unibody design? it helped make it extra durable at the expense of lack of customization and easy repair

They didn't. but it's pretty obvious that it's a wedge bot pretending to have a weapon. I don't totally agree with the rule changes making wedge bots severely disadvantaged, so I don't mind it.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

beepsandboops posted:

Somebody on another forum noted that this exact same fight happened last year in RoboGames with different results: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ma0pSgKRpeQ

Wow, you're not kidding, this is totally the same match. This fight is amazing. Everyone should watch it.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

PostNouveau posted:

They didn't. but it's pretty obvious that it's a wedge bot pretending to have a weapon. I don't totally agree with the rule changes making wedge bots severely disadvantaged, so I don't mind it.

i can't find where it was mentioned but it has a unibody chassis. can't break poo poo off if it's all in one piece
https://www.reddit.com/r/battlebots/comments/8zfqpn/ama_with_duck_builder_hal_rucker_team_black_and/

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Too bad it's just a wedge bot that can lift it's wedge a little bit.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Kloaked00 posted:

Monsoon vs Axe Backward
Have we seen AB in a fight before? An interesting design I’d like to see more of, I think it has potential . Have to improve durability though

There was a similar design in classic Robot Wars (it wasn't very good)

oh jay posted:

I understand "how" it works. I just want to know the "why." Team Whyachi knows how to build bots. Is there something I'm missing as to why this design is better than either a basic spinner or flipper or even a wedge bot?

I guess it's easier to get picked by Battlebots if you submit a unique design. :shrug: Warrior Dragon's successor next year is a hydraulic-powered flipper.

Meanwhile, Team Whyachi's other good robot, Falcon, got rejected twice now for being a basic drum spinner.

halokiller fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Aug 25, 2018

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Too bad it's just a wedge bot that can lift it's wedge a little bit.
I am amused by the notion that wedgebots have to get KOs to win their fights.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Duck could be a doorstop with wheels bolted to it, as long as its fights are fun to watch (which they have been) I don't really care. Tombstone is already showing why they might lose. That chassis is getting more and more banged up with every fight and I don't believe they brought a spare. The electrics inside can't be doing much better.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
This season of Battlebots has been amazingly entertaining. The last episode was like a string of main event level fights.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Huh? Last Episode?

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
The episode that last aired, not the last episode of the season.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Great Beer posted:

Tombstone is already showing why they might lose. That chassis is getting more and more banged up with every fight and I don't believe they brought a spare. The electrics inside can't be doing much better.

Reminder that Last Rites didn't compete in Robogames this year because Tombstone had to cannibalize all its parts for this season.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Robogames and battlebots filming were also within a few weeks of each other so he may have simply not had time to do both.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Great Beer posted:

That chassis is getting more and more banged up with every fight and I don't believe they brought a spare. The electrics inside can't be doing much better.

They didn't bring a spare, Ray said as much in one of the earlier episodes.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

Man, Duck is something else though. Can't judge a book by it's cover. That robot can withstand a lot.

Maybe I'm nuts, but I thought Warrior Dragon got robbed. Yeah, its primary weapon didn't function ... ever during the fight, but at least it didn't spend the whole fight spazzing around the ring.
Warhead managed to control the fight even when the bot was a quivering mass of berserker rage.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Bronco :swoon:

Man, they've been one of my favorite teams since the original series with Toro and T-Minus

I wanna see them break a light :prepop:

Also, Duck is insane and I wish they had better wheels

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Maybe the way to beat Tombstone is to be the 7th bot to fight it...

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
one day tombstone is going to break in two from the culminative stresses from every match and the opposing bot will be crowned Best Bot Ever even though all it did was take a hit

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

logikv9 posted:

one day tombstone is going to break in two from the culminative stresses from every match and the opposing bot will be crowned Best Bot Ever even though all it did was take a hit

A Roomba weighs what, six pounds? I bet if you threw a big pile of Roombas at Tombstone it'd eventually choke to death on them

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

TV stands work just as well.

https://youtu.be/qXCsnlt7Ey8

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

Tonight on Battlebots: USA vs The World!

Blacksmith VS Warhead
Very even fight. I thought it was going to Blacksmith simply because of the show of the hammer hitting them so many times. Lots of fire which was fun to watch

Cpt. Shrederator VS Vanquish
I was pretty surprised here. Based on his previous showings this season, I honestly didn't expect Shrederator to last the whole fight, let alone win.

Kraken VS Red Devil
That was a lot more lopsided than I thought it would be. Red Devil's tracks are definitely a design liability

Hypershock VS Reality
Hyperchock LOL

Sawblaze VS Endgame
Little surprised here. I thought Endgame got in more damage even though Sawblaze was amore aggressive. Close call

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Woo I am caught up, Great season so far.

Also I could swear Bronco was in the old (2000's era) seasons, or was that a similar bot im remembering?

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014

Zedd posted:

Also I could swear Bronco was in the old (2000's era) seasons, or was that a similar bot im remembering?
The same guys had similar bots in different weight classes including T-Minus, the Matador, and Toro (probably others too). I think the Matador is the most similar in weight and appearance.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Oh, I thought they were gonna fight against bots from King Of Bots or something

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
meh episode, although I'm enjoying how sawblaze is getting owned left and right. I'm also not sure why blacksmith exists the hammer doesn't seem damaging enough

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

logikv9 posted:

meh episode, although I'm enjoying how sawblaze is getting owned left and right. I'm also not sure why blacksmith exists the hammer doesn't seem damaging enough

Hammers in general seem largely useless against bots compared to literally anything else.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

Hammers in general seem largely useless against bots compared to literally anything else.

At lower weight classes where the armor is weaker, I'd think that Hammers might actually be useful, but when compared to spinners or even pneumatic flippers, they're trash.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Hammers are good at doing damage you can't see. Rattling electronics loose, breaking wheel axles and bearings, and hitting less armored sections on top. Forcibly backdriving warheads arm broke it, for example.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
i can see heavyweight designs like beta doing a ton of damage but i think any damage is outweighed by the fact you have this huge heavy hammer lugging around that’s attached only at one point, which can be broken off. for all the weight put into the hammer anyway could be spent in a decent spinner that has a bigger damage radius anyway

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

logikv9 posted:

i can see heavyweight designs like beta doing a ton of damage but i think any damage is outweighed by the fact you have this huge heavy hammer lugging around that’s attached only at one point, which can be broken off. for all the weight put into the hammer anyway could be spent in a decent spinner that has a bigger damage radius anyway

Not to mention once that as the hammer impacts, a great deal of energy is lost as the reaction force lifts the bot wielding the hammer. With a flipper or vertical spinner, the reaction force is directed downwards, giving those bots decent ground to push off of instead of launching themselves in the air.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

On the other hand a field full of spinners is really boring.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Hammer bots are good and cool. I just don't know why the gently caress anyone would use a hammer bot with the flat hammer part. At least make it a spike like chomp is, then maybe you can get some penetration in. (Although gently caress the rest of Chomp's over engineered, yet always failing/flailing design)

Also any X vs Y group style episode is going to probably suck since you know they are going to make it a 3-2 final score and likely picked the bots to fight to guarantee such an outcome. Like you know Blacksmith and Hypershock are going to be lovely bots and likely lose their fights (although the Blacksmith fight was close).

SLICK GOKU BABY fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Sep 2, 2018

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Blacksmith is there to make cool promo shots (like Mohawk). Blacksmith is also a better bot than Mohawk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Bad fights this week. I wonder if the exhibition was drawing from robots with no hope of making the tournament or already eliminated.

Good to see Simone Gertz judging.

• Locked thread