Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

That's a really good question and I don't know that there's a definitive answer because the Lincoln administration obviously didn't even consider a negotiated peace, and his opponent in the 1864 elections didn't either.

The simplest answer and the one most alt history tends to go with is the Confederate states all leave except Virginia loses West Virginia and the two countries sign a standard international agreement regarding shipping on the Mississippi just like any countries that share shipping lanes have to do.

But who the gently caress knows. The Union controlled the entire Mississippi by 1863, they could have annexed it along with everything to the west of it (oh and Tennessee which they already occupied) and there's nothing the Confederates could do about that so maybe the Confederacy just ends up being just a tiny rump state.

Like you said the Confederate constitution guaranteed they'd remain an agricultural backwater banana republic mess, meanwhile the United States' military and industrial superiority would only increase, even if they did let all the states secede they might repudiate any peace treaty, say secession was always illegal, and steamroll the South a few decades later.

Of course there's always the absurd alt history from writers who don't know enough about the war and assume Kentucky, Missouri, Maryland, DC, etc join a victorious South which is just silly.

I certainly don't see the South dictating terms to rejoin the union. The whole reason they left was because for the first time the North had the population to elect a president without winning a single southern state, and that discrepancy was only going to get worse. Lincoln hadn't even done anything or even taken office when half the Confederacy seceded, they were just mad he won and that they no longer controlled everything all the time. All attempts at compromise before the war failed, there was even an amendment to permanently entrench slavery in the constitution, it passed the House and Senate and Lincoln endorsed it but the south seceded anyway rather than trying to ratify it. The terms would have to be absurd like "only Southern states get to vote for the president" or something. Much like the Republican party now they thought it was God's will that the planter aristocracy rule the USA and if they couldn't do that they didn't want a USA anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001
In all likelihood a Confederacy that somehow survived and gained independence would have ended up as a Lee-led military dictatorship in all but name, and would not have survived his death (if it lasted even that long). States like Georgia would almost certainly rebel against the central authority in Richmond, as Governor Joe Brown came close to doing anyway in reality, and been stepped on by the military that stayed loyal to the Richmond regime and gently caress this is heading into Turtledove territory.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

Captain_Maclaine posted:

In all likelihood a Confederacy that somehow survived and gained independence would have ended up as a Lee-led military dictatorship in all but name, and would not have survived his death (if it lasted even that long). States like Georgia would almost certainly rebel against the central authority in Richmond, as Governor Joe Brown came close to doing anyway in reality, and been stepped on by the military that stayed loyal to the Richmond regime and gently caress this is heading into Turtledove territory.

Never go full Turtledove.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
An independent South would have been massively into imperial land grabs, too - fighting with the USA over control of the West, trying to grab more land off of Mexico, filibustering it's way across the Caribbean and into Central America. A big part of slaver ideology was that slave states needed to continually expand the reach of slavery or else they'd be bottled up and wiped out. Lincoln signalling that there'd be no more expansion of slavery into the territories and no more slave states being admitted to the Union was the literal trigger for succession - he didn't threaten to end slavery where it already existed or free any slaves, he just put a limit on the expansion of slavery, and that was enough to kick off the Civil War.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
Yeah, had the CSA won independence it would have been a poor agrarian backwater, possibly with a very very small but incredibly wealthy ruling class (but maybe not, most of the rich dudes were in a lot of debt even before funding their own regiments and stuff). No industry, no banking to speak of, a cash crop that was rapidly losing value and an institution that would have prevented close ties with almost anyone that could help them fix it.

Politically they were really unstable from the get go, it's not unreasonable to guess states would have started leaving the CSA within a decade, given how rapidly independent some of them wanted to be.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Captain_Maclaine posted:

This was one of the many issues that I had that that dumb Confederate HBO show, that on top of everything else wrong with it, there is no way that a modern confederate America could exist to the present day(hot takes about how present day America is the modern confederate America aside).

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

Yeah, had the CSA won independence it would have been a poor agrarian backwater, possibly with a very very small but incredibly wealthy ruling class (but maybe not, most of the rich dudes were in a lot of debt even before funding their own regiments and stuff). No industry, no banking to speak of, a cash crop that was rapidly losing value and an institution that would have prevented close ties with almost anyone that could help them fix it.

Politically they were really unstable from the get go, it's not unreasonable to guess states would have started leaving the CSA within a decade, given how rapidly independent some of them wanted to be.

The South would've switched to grain and tobacco and become the world's tobacco farm. They probably would've expanded west through Texas until they got to New Mexico and the deserts in the southwest. The North would've consolidated their expansion West until they got to California. Then you have the south in a Mexican standoff (hah!) for Southern California with the Union and Mexico. The Confederacy probably screws up relations with Mexico because they've got terrible foreign policy and fights a war or two with Spain and/or Mexico because they decide to push south for Caribbean / Central / South American colonialism

This leads to them fighting wars where they're about the same size as Mexico and much smaller than Spain with a much smaller Navy. Couple this with lack of industrialization and infrastructure that the Union can get around by building the transcontinental railroad, and the South gradually gets shuttled into irrelevance in the early 20th century. They probably remain neutral in World War 1. Maybe they join in on WW2 on the Axis powers if they've got a death wish. Or maybe the future refuses to change and the Union crushes them with Sherman tanks when the South tries a gambit with Hitler to take over the Union.

Lote fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Aug 25, 2018

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Fulchrum posted:

(hot takes about how present day America is the modern confederate America aside).

This was basically the point of that CSA mockumentary...

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Lote posted:

The South would've switched to grain and tobacco and become the world's tobacco farm. They probably would've expanded west through Texas until they got to New Mexico and the deserts in the southwest. The North would've consolidated their expansion West until they got to California. Then you have the south in a Mexican standoff (hah!) for Southern California with the Union and Mexico. The Confederacy probably screws up relations with Mexico because they've got terrible foreign policy and fights a war or two with Spain and/or Mexico because they decide to push south for Caribbean / Central / South American colonialism

This leads to them fighting wars where they're about the same size as Mexico and much smaller than Spain with a much smaller Navy. Couple this with lack of industrialization and infrastructure that the Union can get around by building the transcontinental railroad, and the South gradually gets shuttled into irrelevance in the early 20th century. They probably remain neutral in World War 1. Maybe they join in on WW2 on the Axis powers if they've got a death wish. Or maybe the future refuses to change and the Union crushes them with Sherman tanks when the South tries a gambit with Hitler to take over the Union.

You know California was already a US state, right?

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

You know California was already a US state, right?

Yeah but the South would’ve probably tried to start a border war or negotiate access to the pacific. The South had all these wacky pie in the sky plans that somehow involved them colonizing and enslaving the entirety of the Carribean and South America

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
There was absolutely no way the south won. Even they knew it. Their goal was to stalemate it long enough that the north gave up. That was literally their strategy.

Their agricultural cash crop slave economy also would have imploded because, surprise surprise, the southern elites had a history of bad decisions. Heavy monoculture cotton farming was devastating the soul which made it continually more difficult to get good harvests. Like was said cotton was also spreading. Another part of their strategy was to bully the rest of the world into recognizing and helping them by saying "no cotton for you" if they didn't get their way. The rest of the world just went "lol, nah."

Do remember that leading up to the civil war the south hated that free states existed. They were pulling all sorts of shenanigans to try and force the north to be de facto slave states. Slavery wasn't the only reason it all kicked off but not howdy was it the biggest by a long shot.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Lote posted:

Yeah but the South would’ve probably tried to start a border war or negotiate access to the pacific. The South had all these wacky pie in the sky plans that somehow involved them colonizing and enslaving the entirety of the Carribean and South America

In this timeline Emperor Norton is remembered, not for the Golden Gate Bridge, but for leading the defense against the Traitor States and driving them back across the Rockies in disarray.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

GreyjoyBastard posted:

In this timeline Emperor Norton is remembered, not for the Golden Gate Bridge, but for leading the defense against the Traitor States and driving them back across the Rockies in disarray.

Considering the commander of the South’s forces in New Mexico was too drunk to function in the only skirmish the South won in New Mexico, this might have happened.

The South lost the West because the North accidentally stumbled upon all of the South’s supplies and wrecked em. Can’t fight a war without logistics.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
gently caress all of you and your stupid civil war derail, I was expecting a harvest.

How This Will End: Sooner or later, tyrants are always abandoned by their followers. (Fan fiction)

quote:

If he were a tyrant I might see his point. Name one individual that Trump has imprisoned. I'll wait. 

1 posted on 8/24/2018, 5:10:43 PM by 2ndDivisionVet

quote:

To: 2ndDivisionVet

I recall a little over a year ago, I went to see my liberal minded parents and they were going on about how they watched on 20/20 the night before a feature that compared Trump with Nixon and all of the supposed similarities and parallels. At that time, it was just a few months into Trump’s time as President and now it is just over a year and these silly, ridiculous comparisons with him and Nixon continue. It is such a pathetic and also transparent thing on the media’s part, big time.

4 posted on 8/24/2018, 5:15:13 PM by OttawaFreeper ("The Gardens was founded by men-sportsmen-who fought for their country" Conn Smythe, 1966)

quote:

These people professing to be Trump’s friends are strange....even weird......

Do all your “friends” walk around with concealed taping devices?

16 posted on 8/24/2018, 5:23:19 PM by Liz ( Our side has 8 trillion bullets; the other side doesn't know which bathroom to use.)

Prolife.

quote:

“If he were a tyrant, the Never-Trumpers would be buried in a lime-filled pit.”

Only up to their necks.

And alive.

L

21 posted on 8/24/2018, 5:32:51 PM by Lurker(President Trump isn't our last chance. President Trump is THEIR last chance.)

Family values.

quote:

F#$^!@ IDIOTS!

TRUMP hasn't done anything! So what he paid off 2 bitches!!! 

32 posted on 8/24/2018, 6:04:26 PM by KavMan

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

quote:

If he were a tyrant I might see his point. Name one individual that Trump has imprisoned. I'll wait.  

Literally some two thousand odd children? :psyduck:

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Aug 25, 2018

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Gotta say, John McCain threads are about the only time I agree with the average Freeper over the average Democrat.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Mantis42 posted:

Gotta say, John McCain threads are about the only time I agree with the average Freeper over the average Democrat.

quote:

To: libstripper

Die, Mothafocker, die, you POS ,McDemocRat ..

9 posted on 08/24/2018 1:00:08 PM PDT by VRWC For Truth (Enjoy the SUCK! , 'Rats ..)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

quote:

how can you have brain cancer when you have no brain?

10 posted on 08/24/2018 1:00:25 PM PDT by beergarden

quote:

To: DoughtyOne

He’ll be fluffing his butt buddy Teddy K in hell ...

12 posted on 08/24/2018 1:02:30 PM PDT by VRWC For Truth (Enjoy the SUCK! , 'Rats ..)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

quote:

To: 100American

The Lord and His Father are the Judges. I admit I think he “OWED US” a replacement for the past nine months or so.

20 posted on 08/24/2018 1:11:50 PM PDT by Lumper20 (DC is full of rats.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

quote:

To: MagUSNRET

Yes, I think that’s quite likely.

Hopefully our side will refrain from doing something like that, but you never know.

The resounding praise will prevent me from watching.

Maggot be gone...

21 posted on 08/24/2018 1:13:10 PM PDT by DoughtyOne (01/26/18 DJIA 30 stocks $26,616.71 48.794% > open 11/07/16 215.71 from 50% increase 1.2183 yrs)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 11 | View Replies]

quote:

To: DoughtyOne

North Vietnam’s POW Song Bird betrayed the country.

36 posted on 08/24/2018 1:32:00 PM PDT by boomop1 (Term limits is the only way to change this failed government.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 21 | View Replies]

quote:

His wife will be glad to have a real man in the sack rather than that old cuckold

43 posted on 08/24/2018 1:44:00 PM PDT by WashingtonFire (President Trump - it's like having your dad as President)

quote:

To: shelterguy

This has brought out the ugly side of FreeRepublic.

Well, Mr. Sanctimonious, maybe you can explain to us, in the real world, exactly how you pick up a turd from the clean end? That POS had no redeeming virtue.

58 posted on 08/24/2018 4:03:24 PM PDT by SandwicheGuy (*The butter acts as a lubricant and speeds up the CPU)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 17 | View Replies]

:thunk:

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
So what happens if McCain dies before the elections?

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

It depends on the state, every state has their own protocol for replacing a congressman. In McCain's case the Governor of Arizona will appoint a successor to serve the rest of McCain's term until 2020 when the normal Senate election will happen.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
It also has to be someone from the same party.

misdirectomy
Feb 19, 2008
Lest we forget every single one of them voted for him for president less than a decade ago.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
^ They get around this by pointing out he was a loser. They worshipped Palin for some time after though, and some still do.

nepetaMisekiryoiki posted:

How do South stay separate country thouh? Is not result of South "win" that they dictate terms to rejoin? The land they inhabit and river and route they are blocking by that surely would mean even win of war means new war within short time if Confederate stay seperate. Union needs mississippi river for export and import into the plainslands, Union needs many thing and Confederate system of government is not suit well to cooperation of state in meantime.

Confedrate constitution is not just of adding many provisions of "slavery is great" and "slavery is always legal" but it also impose heavy restriction on federal government to use tax, bond, other mean to raise money and make difficult to build infrastructure between of states. Not just this is bad for economy in long term, it is also bad for preparing military and defense. I am sure it is not of coincidence that many of these other change to Confederate government are parrot by Republican now.

Basically if they managed to somehow squeak out a win and get what they wanted, they'd either fall apart into multiple regions in a failed state or realize they need to abandon their current confederation because each state being it's own country of sorts within a country can't work. It's something the original 13 colonies figured out "four score and several years" before

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Aug 25, 2018

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Lote posted:

Just imagine it going the way North and South Korea are with the titles reversed. The North a growing powerhouse in the region while the South would become some trembling agri state trying to constantly stay up on and show off it's power while a few elites run the whole shebang while dressing themselves as living gods among men

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Keeshhound posted:

Literally some two thousand odd children? :psyduck:

No, personally locked up

Also "lol look at them comparing two similar presidents as the current one fumbles with stuff like Nixon had to deal with. What a bunch of morons". Their delusions are getting worse

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

SocketWrench posted:

^ They get around this by pointing out he was a loser. They worshipped Palin for some time after though, and some still do.

Basically if they managed to somehow squeak out a win and get what they wanted, they'd either fall apart into multiple regions in a failed state or realize they need to abandon their current confederation because each state being it's own country of sorts within a country can't work. It's something the original 13 colonies figured out "four score and several years" before

That isn't entirely true; the Civil War was basically the point when the nation started having a much stronger federal government. The federal government had actively tried to stay small. Before the Civil War hit states (well, more like state-sponsored banks but still) were printing their own money while the federal government didn't really have much of a hand on currency. During the Civil War the National Banking Acts were passed that effectively eliminated state currency and made US$ the only real American currency. Before that there were literally thousands of different currencies in existence, not even including scrip. That's just one example of the central government taking charge; the original idea was in fact that each state would be effectively a separate nation glued together a big union.

Of course as America grew there really, really did need to be a stronger central government.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

"Trump is like having your dad as president"

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

To: Trailerpark Badass
Just as I and many other rurals regularly do. It is cleaner provided a little common sense is used. Plenty of reasons to hate muslims, this isn’t one.

10 posted on 8/25/2018, 9:55:49 AM by gnarledmaw (Hive minded liberals worship leaders, sovereign conservatives elect servants.)

Freep - Plenty of reasons to hate muslims, this isn’t one

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Plinkey posted:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Potato Salad posted:

An abusive alcoholic who went out gay bashing at bars and supported the Confederacy despite being from the far north? I guess he is!

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Shot in the dark based on Confederate culture in the north: center/east Washington/ Oregon, Montana?

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!
I'd guess Pennsylvania, because it's the most South you can get in the north.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Rape Stink posted:

I'd guess Pennsylvania, because it's the most South you can get in the north.

Yeah, Pennsylvania has Philadelphia and Pittsburgh plus their suburbs, the rest of the state is indistinguishable from the deep South except Dunkin Donuts instead of Krispy Cream

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

ToxicSlurpee posted:

That isn't entirely true; the Civil War was basically the point when the nation started having a much stronger federal government. The federal government had actively tried to stay small. Before the Civil War hit states (well, more like state-sponsored banks but still) were printing their own money while the federal government didn't really have much of a hand on currency. During the Civil War the National Banking Acts were passed that effectively eliminated state currency and made US$ the only real American currency. Before that there were literally thousands of different currencies in existence, not even including scrip. That's just one example of the central government taking charge; the original idea was in fact that each state would be effectively a separate nation glued together a big union.

Of course as America grew there really, really did need to be a stronger central government.

Yes, pre war the states functioned much as their own entity, but they still submitted to federal rules and legislation.
Southern states did not have that arrangement when they tried splitting. They wanted a central set of rules, but then that's it. No other state or collection of states would have authority over any of them. So if their "government" called for a tax to fund something, for example, the states under it could either pay or not at their own whim

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Aug 25, 2018

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Plinkey posted:

Lol, that sig is beautiful irony

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

Potato Salad posted:

Look, I like my dad, but I do not want my dad to be President.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

SocketWrench posted:

Yes, pre war the states functioned much as their own entity, but they still submitted to federal rules and legislation.
Southern states did not have that arrangement when they tried splitting. They wanted a central set of rules, but then that's it. No other state or collection of states would have authority over any of them. So if their "government" called for a tax to fund something, for example, the states under it could either pay or not at their own whim

To me that's the funniest thing about the Confederacy; they created a tiny set of weak rules and then stamped a big, red OPTIONAL on pretty much all of them except slavery. Each state basically had its own military that could do what the central government said if they agreed while taxes were 100% optional. To the surprise of absolutely nobody basically none of the states paid taxes, every optional laws might as well not have existed, and slavery was the only thing they could agree on. Each state issued its own currency which quickly became absolutely worthless.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
One of the biggest changes in that poo poo was a constitutional provision that most forms of increasing taxes would require 2/3 majorities in Congress to pass.

You may be familiar with that provision from a bunch of modern states with their state budget in a shambles from it!

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

ToxicSlurpee posted:

To me that's the funniest thing about the Confederacy; they created a tiny set of weak rules and then stamped a big, red OPTIONAL on pretty much all of them except slavery. Each state basically had its own military that could do what the central government said if they agreed while taxes were 100% optional. To the surprise of absolutely nobody basically none of the states paid taxes, every optional laws might as well not have existed, and slavery was the only thing they could agree on. Each state issued its own currency which quickly became absolutely worthless.

Yeah, they basically had all the big government paranoia of the founding fathers with none of the common sense or practical application.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

Yeah, they basically had all the big government paranoia of the founding fathers with none of the common sense or practical application.

So the big government paranoia of the modern Republican party, then.

So anyway, how is Freep reacting to McCain dieing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/3682191/posts

quote:

To: Extremely Extreme Extremist
Probably the only really useful thing he did.

16 posted on 8/25/2018, 8:31:07 PM by wally_bert (Terrific! Terrific? Harve Nyquist never ordered any radials.)