Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Taintrunner posted:

lol games journalism lmao

Their appearance at Gamescom? I think they mean their appearance in the same city where Gamescom is going on.

I mean, i have no issue with them missing Gamescom, its not required, but how they are trying to make out like they have a presence there is just wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanted By Weed
Aug 14, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I feel like replacing most of the periods with question marks would be a massive improvement to this article.

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

Mr. Carlisle posted:

This was pretty much what I was going to say as well. Some of these people have already posted that this game is literally all they've got left to look forward to in their lives and sad poo poo like that. There's nobody more dangerous than someone who has nothing to lose.

FUDmageddon will be wild. I look forward to it but at the same time I know we will see poo poo that will make me sympathize with the brain geniuses at reddit no matter how much I don't want to do that ever. So also I fear it kind of?? Complicated feelings for this scam.

Ponzi
Feb 21, 2016

DEPORTED FROM FLAVOR TOWN

ICSA 67 LOSER
Fun Shoe
Shouldn't it be:

'To wrap up their appearance outside Gamescom'

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Taintrunner posted:

lol games journalism lmao

he is/was a goon btw

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

The Saddest Robot posted:

Does this mean you can actually test out mining in this pre-alpha game for a few days without having to pay $180 or whatever?

It appears so, yes.

Also!

YOUTUBE: Reverse the Verse Live - The Mercury Star Runner Town Hall

:lol:

It was obvious the new ship would get some discussion, but I didn’t realize it would be the entire focus of the whole event.

The description of smuggling gameplay in the ship that advertises “stop and scan me, I’m a smuggler” is gold. (It gets :lol: once describing being boarded by Customs and then constantly sneaking about to move elicit cargo to new locations so as to keep it hidden.)

Why not just buy a ship that doesn’t advertise your smuggling intentions? You’d be less suspicious from the start. Once you’re having to run ill-gotten booty around your ship to stay ahead of The Fuzz, you’re might as well do it in a ship you’ve already bought.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Aug 25, 2018

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

It took approximately nine minutes to load in on the freebie weekend thing, and promptly crashed.

PC gaming has been saved! Because now I can play literally anything else and have a better time.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

:golfclap:

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Anticheese posted:

It took approximately nine minutes to load in on the freebie weekend thing, and promptly crashed.

PC gaming has been saved! Because now I can play literally anything else and have a better time.

The true Star Citizen experience

Neltharak
Jun 7, 2013

oh boy oh boy star citizen is free to play

That means if i make a horrible mistake again i can leer at you guys to join the fidelity in port olisar

I wish fire extinguishers were in the game. Starfleet Dental will live once more sometime this weekend !

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Rad Russian posted:

You think Clifford aka Miku is gonna put on his favorite fursuit and actually step outside for the first time in years to go find Croberts?

the Star Citizen cult would have turned into real-life Hotline Miami then.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Star Citizen: The only winning move is not to pay

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

G0RF posted:

It appears so, yes.

Also!

YOUTUBE: Reverse the Verse Live - The Mercury Star Runner Town Hall

:lol:

It was obvious the new ship would get some discussion, but I didn’t realize it would be the entire focus of the whole event.

The description of smuggling gameplay in the ship that advertises “stop and scan me, I’m a smuggler” is gold. (It gets :lol: once describing being boarded by Customs and then constantly sneaking about to move elicit cargo to new locations so as to keep it hidden.)

Why not just buy a ship that doesn’t advertise your smuggling intentions? You’d be less suspicious from the start. Once you’re having to run ill-gotten booty around your ship to stay ahead of The Fuzz, you’re might as well do it in a ship you’ve already bought.

the very first question is about human trafficking lmao. these people.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

space-X-chicken posted:

the Star Citizen cult would have turned into real-life Hotline Miami then.

-M.O.O.N.S

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMoRL46x8F8

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.
Straight from the intergalactic news van

Foundry 42 are expanding from 270 odd to 315 staff members .
They are moving buildings to a bigger campus in the next 6 months
Sq42 is scheduled for release end of 2019 early 2020. It exists but it's loving awful
All resources are on sq42 anything else you see is bullshit to get dollars
A lot of cash has suddenly appeared I have no idea where from or how, but it gives at least another 2 years dev time and lawsuit payoffs

Lots of people will say this is bullshit but it's straight from the horses/bears mouth

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

EightAce posted:

Sq42 is scheduled for release end of 2019 early 2020. It exists but it's loving awful
A lot of cash has suddenly appeared I have no idea where from or how, but it gives at least another 2 years dev time and lawsuit payoffs

Lots of people will say this is bullshit but it's straight from the horses/bears mouth

Are you listening thread intern? Youve been promoted to Lead Designer!

stingtwo
Nov 16, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

I wonder if like Duke Nukem Forever this game will eventually be bought by some publisher, quickly "finished" (see: game slapped together from assets on hand) and then released.

Backers would buy it just to play the thing, but it wouldn't be fun.
Gearbox also collected the rights to the Duke franchise as well, there is no existing IP for Star citizen.

Right up to the point of the Crytek lawsuit, Amazon may have been the only one if just to show off lumberyards potential to game devs, now? hahaha nope, any company dumb enough to take over has the financial debt of backers ship purchases the moment the game is released.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Mr. Carlisle posted:

This was pretty much what I was going to say as well. Some of these people have already posted that this game is literally all they've got left to look forward to in their lives and sad poo poo like that. There's nobody more dangerous than someone who has nothing to lose.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Hav posted:

Why have I not seen this before - It is glorious.

"Pia Zadora sang on this with Jackson. The song was written for a weird science fiction action movie called Voyage Of The Rock Aliens, which starred Zadora. The song is one of many to use weather conditions as a symbol of strength and resilience in a relationship: when the rain falls, he'll be her sunshine."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Em5p__ZgtsQ

I'm fresh off Rifftrax Krull last night as well.

Frazetta and Vallejo were pretty much the tail end of 1970s Barbarian chic. Vallejo had more Gor covers, I believe, because he was always tightly wound up with the barbarian-fistward-with-slavegirl-at-feet. I actually like Vallejo for his really saturated colors and rotoscoping technique; Frazetta just goes muddy and dark. And yes, they tend towards the very red pilliest of the male species that consider the subject rather than the art.

For about half a minute I was really confused, then it dawned on me that it's that kind of Rock. :v:

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

EightAce posted:

If they don't have an engine that might be a problem

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

G0RF posted:

the 'I can imagine a lovely vignette related to this ship's advertising copy' school of game design would really be loving them over, if they were actively trying to put any of it in the game.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Baxta posted:

There are a crazy amount of German supporters.

I actually got yelled at in a pub here in Salzburg by some German people because I said star citizen was a scam.

They shutup pretty quickly once they remembered they weren't on the internet though.

In all honesty, without the SA reality check I might be still one of them too.

I think there are two reasons for SC being as big in Germany as it is:
- Wing Commander, and therefore Chris Roberts, was crazy popular in Germany.
- The German press is totally on board of the SC hype train. Kind of weird, but I assume it is because of SC's popularity they publish mostly positive or neutral articles at worst, therefore boosting SC's popularity and so on and so forth.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

EightAce posted:

You've been speaking to CR?

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
Please also note that David Hasselhoff was unironically considered to be a musician in Germany

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

his nibs posted:

Please also note that David Hasselhoff was unironically considered to be a musician in Germany

And a movie star

(My mom still loves him)

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

EightAce posted:

I'm intrigued :allears:

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

his nibs posted:

I once picked up some CD of his at a record fair for €1 or so. I still have not managed to make myself listen to it, as I'm a bit scared how bad it might sound :ohdear:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Bofast posted:

I once picked up some CD of his at a record fair for €1 or so. I still have not managed to make myself listen to it, as I'm a bit scared how bad it might sound :ohdear:

Don't worry, it's not that bad. It's mostly at the "It's so bad, it's good"-level, so as long as you have a sense of humor, it's still nice to listen to.

Edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTidn2dBYbY

One of his later music videos

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

the music/vibe/style/gameplay of those two games is so unique and cool. (without using a single polygon)

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Star Citizen: if David Hasselhoff's singing was a crowdfunding project

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

If CIG needs emergency funds and/or needs to mobilize the German fanbase, then he will sign the Hoff for a 'role' in SQ42.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Golli posted:

If CIG needs emergency funds and/or needs to mobilize the German fanbase, then he will sign the Hoff for a 'role' in SQ42.

Are you calling that? Is this a call?

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

EightAce posted:

so people bought the shares then. good on them

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Bofast posted:

Are you calling that? Is this a call?

Not really a call per se, since if it happens the motive would be impossible to reliably confirm.

However, I do think signing Hoff would have those effects in the German market.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
All I know him from is eating hamburgers off the floor that one time.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

EightAce posted:

I already set my calendar.
Hope Crytek lawsuit does not screw this up. I want this to go down in its own flames.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Hey why do all of their ships have wings and aerodynamic designs and poo poo? One of the admittedly cool things about Star Wars ships like the Millenium Falcon or Slave I is how they’re not shaped like airplanes because why would they be?

Like seriously, someone should tell Chris how many more polygons he could get with some greebling, and he’d make them redesign every single surface of every single ship.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of poor handling of money and possible shilling, I can't tell if this article from Tom's hardware is serious or satire :raise:

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-rtx-gpus-worth-the-money,37689.html

quote:

Life is short. How many months or years do you want to wait to enjoy a new experience? You can sit around twiddling your thumbs and hoping that an RTX 2080 gets cheaper, or you can enter the world of ray-tracing and high-speed, 4K gaming today and never look back. When you die and your whole life flashes before your eyes, how much of it do you want to not have ray tracing?
The title of the whole article is Just Buy It: Why Nvidia RTX GPUs Are Worth the Money
Who prints something like that?!? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

AbstractNapper posted:

I already set my calendar.
Hope Crytek lawsuit does not screw this up. I want this to go down in its own flames.

The Guard Frequency guy reckoned discovery for Christmas. It's good to have a roadmap.

FULL DISCLOSURE: I do hope SC makes it to release. So I can buy it in one of the last desperate sales. £4 maybe? I'm not sure the official servers will make it that far, but reckon Vertice will host us...