Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

dwarf74 posted:

Uh oh was someone mean about Raggi?

But for real, you can't actually copyright game mechanics. Setting stuff is an issue, which is why most heartbreakers file the serial numbers off or introduce knockoffs, but there's really no way to put a trademark on how dice is rolled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Whether or not something is legally copyright-breaking and whether it's plagiarized are two entirely different things. Plagiarism isn't illegal.

It is immoral and unethical, it is barred by a number of institutions as part of their bylaws or rules, including schools, but it is not actually against the law.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Bedlamdan posted:

But for real, you can't actually copyright game mechanics. Setting stuff is an issue, which is why most heartbreakers file the serial numbers off or introduce knockoffs, but there's really no way to put a trademark on how dice is rolled.

You can trademark turning a card sideways though.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Arivia posted:

You can trademark turning a card sideways though.

No, you can trademark a term describing turning a card sideways.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Mors Rattus posted:

Whether or not something is legally copyright-breaking and whether it's plagiarized are two entirely different things. Plagiarism isn't illegal.

It is immoral and unethical, it is barred by a number of institutions as part of their bylaws or rules, including schools, but it is not actually against the law.

Unless you're just copying the entire game engine wholesale, there's nothing immoral or unethical about cribbing individual game mechanics.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

It just says it uses the 3.5 ruleset.

It also:
- removed feats(original idea, done to get game closer to OSR)
- capped the levels at 10(original idea, influenced by OSR)
- introduced mighty deeds(original idea)
- changed how every single aspect of the magic system works
- changed character creation(to a b/x style)
- changed XP(medium between forcing players to kill tons of monsters to level up but also removed Gold-For-XP, something JG personally hated)
- changed monster stat blocks(Closer to b/x)
- changed conditions(removed them, more like B/X)
- changed CR(removed it, more like B/X)
- removed encumbrance rules(less OSR and more "gently caress it nobody tracks this poo poo, just dont let people carry 500 swords out of a dungeon)
- removed all but four of the classes(B/X)
- ditched all of the extra races, can only play as human + class or Elf/Dwarf/Halfling as class, like B/X)
- changed stats, removed Wisdom, changed charisma to personality, added LUK, dex to Agility, and CON to STA(Original ideas)
- Introduced the Patron system (original)
- there is no multiclassing (technically B/X, but Im pretty sure you could multiclass in ADnD1e, so thats..yeah)
- Introduced spell duels and specific mechanics for them (original)
- introduced luck die for thieves and halflings, plus the entire concept of burning luck (original)
- introduced 7 more dice for use in the game
- introduced the +1d and -1d mechanic
etc etc etc

The only really untouched thing is FORT REF WILL which was kept because JG doesn't like the original saves. Which...yeah.

It's basically an entirely new system. Like you bought a kid a lego set for a castle and they build a mechwarrior. It might be all grey and the knight is a pilot, but that thing walks and shoots lasers. Instead of endlessly debating this though I feel like calling it "OSR-Adjacent" is the best choice. I mean hell, JG himself said that he's basically chosen to make DCC the way it is to appeal to adults who are flush with cash, go to conventions a lot, and are in the prime earning years of their lives!(Done with Mortgage, Kids are out of the house, want to relive glory days, looks a lot like B/X with some of the better ideas from later editions).

One of my local game store owners had a big loving snake inside his store and it frequently poo poo on the floor. Snake poo poo and piss smalls unbelievably bad and it never went away. He was also just...the worst at customer service. You'd call him up, he'd angrily sigh if you asked him to look something up and sometimes would just tell you he didn't want to walk around looking for stock. hosed up guy honestly. Got banned from running official magic games a couple years back for being a registered sex offender and someone reporting him to wizards. Ontario: It's a magical place.

For completeness's sake, it also keeps 3.5's "roll +bonuses to beat a DC set by the DM or an enemy stat" core system for most of its resolution mechanics, which also means ascending armor class and base attack bonuses as well. In my opinion, that's enough to say it plays like 3.5 in more ways than just featuring three saving throws.

For reference, I ran a DCC funnel for a group of 5e players and they barely noticed the difference in terms of rules. This would not have been the case were I running Labyrinth Lord. The magic system and the warrior's mighty deeds are of course different but I think those felt more like learning new class features to my players than an entirely new system.

It makes some cool modifications to these things, yes, and I personally still look at it as an OSR game, but I think this is an important thing to point out because a lot of OSR systems don't work this way. They tend to separate their resolution mechanics ala B/X to make it (at least ostensibly) easier to port systems between different OSR games. There are of course exceptions, such as the Black Hack which I think goes more a more unified mechanic as well.

Nickoten fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Aug 22, 2018

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

No, you can trademark a term describing turning a card sideways.

I don't think Wizards has a trademark on the term "Tap" but I haven't checked.

Wizards owned a patent on the concept of a collectible card game, including a few specifics like drawing cards from a deck and playing them onto a field, "tapping" cards by turning them to a different orientation to indicate a change in state, and obtaining the cards by purchasing them or trading. Some of these points of course describe a very wide range of games.

The bar to patent things is lower than it is to have your patent found valid during a lawsuit. A patent can be granted and then found invalid later, and had Wizards actually sued someone over this and made it to trial that would have been a threshold question that the parties would have litigated.

Now in terms of what protection the term "tap" has, Wizards miiight be able to file a good faith copyright suit against someone using that term to express the same rules concept of turning something sideways to indicate usage, but I feel the odds of winning that are low.

Of course, with all IP, it often doesn't matter what the odds are. It just matters that you can sue someone and force them to spend a lot of money or settle with an NDA. IP is generally very strong as a threat of suit, but going to court is risky because the boundaries of your IP ownership are going to in some way be defined by the court which necessarily restricts your ability to threaten other entities with it.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

dwarf74 posted:

Uh oh was someone mean about Raggi?

Okay so you have no argument then? Because that wasn't a response. That was you choosing not to address my post in a meaningful way.

Bedlamdan posted:

Yup.

Mors Rattus posted:

I plagiarize materials for my DnD games all of the time. It's a bit different in a game meant to attempt to recreate popular culture in a game like format. What exactly are you accusing him of?

Nickoten posted:

For completeness's sake, it also keeps 3.5's "roll +bonuses to beat a DC set by the DM or an enemy stat" core system for most of its resolution mechanics, which also means ascending armor class and base attack bonuses as well. In my opinion, that's enough to say it plays like 3.5 in more ways than just featuring three saving throws.

For reference, I ran a DCC funnel for a group of 5e players and they barely noticed the difference in terms of rules. This would not have been the case were I running Labyrinth Lord. The magic system and the warrior's mighty deeds are of course different but I think those felt more like learning new class features to my players than an entirely new system.

It makes some cool modifications to these things, yes, and I personally still look at it as an OSR game, but I think this is an important thing to point out because a lot of OSR systems don't work this way. They tend to separate their resolution mechanics ala B/X to make it (at least ostensibly) easier to port systems between different OSR games. There are of course exceptions, such as the Black Hack which I think goes more a more unified mechanic as well.

Yeah, it's why I like to use the term OSR-Adjacent. :P

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Okay so you have no argument then? Because that wasn't a response. That was you choosing not to address my post in a meaningful way.
No, I don't give a poo poo about the argument because I am not involved in this specific weird slapfight. I just thought it was funny how quick you jumped to defend Raggi's honor.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
I dunno who that is but I assume they are insanely guilty if the defence of them is "plagiarising a tabletop RPG is impossible, you can't do it"

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

I plagiarize materials for my DnD games all of the time. It's a bit different in a game meant to attempt to recreate popular culture in a game like format. What exactly are you accusing him of?

Honestly? I don't care. I just wanted to make the distinction between 'plagiarism' and 'copyright infringement' clear. One is illegal and liable to get you fined in civil court; the other gets you disgraced and kicked out of school but isn't illegal.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

I'd like to see the people here define what "plagiarism" is in terms of Tabletop RPGs,

I laid my case out perfectly succinctly. The only valid argument open to you against it is “That content isn’t in Carcosa.”

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

dwarf74 posted:

No, I don't give a poo poo about the argument because I am not involved in this specific weird slapfight. I just thought it was funny how quick you jumped to defend Raggi's honor.

As a fellow passive aggressive shitposter, you have my full support :patriot:

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Nickoten posted:

I don't think Wizards has a trademark on the term "Tap" but I haven't checked.

Wizards owned a patent on the concept of a collectible card game, including a few specifics like drawing cards from a deck and playing them onto a field, "tapping" cards by turning them to a different orientation to indicate a change in state, and obtaining the cards by purchasing them or trading. Some of these points of course describe a very wide range of games.

Yeah here's the patent

https://patents.google.com/patent/US5662332

I think it expired? So Tap away!

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Posting from the long-ago past of a week ago to note:

gradenko_2000 posted:

my free PBTA game about the Battle of Matewan and Blair Mountain is going to be called Du Bois & Debs

God dammit I know this was just a funny joke but now I really want this

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Yeah here's the patent

https://patents.google.com/patent/US5662332

I think it expired? So Tap away!

Yeah it's an expired patent, because it's for a design. Those only last 14 years.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Kwyndig posted:

Yeah it's an expired patent, because it's for a design. Those only last 14 years.
No, it's not for a design patent - that would have a different number.

The headline there is that the USPTO was, until comparatively recently due to various reforms and Supreme Court decisions, really broad about the sort of stuff it'd give patents for. That poo poo would never in a million years fly in Europe, for instance.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

quote:

White Wolf Entertainment and DriveThruRPG Announce Exalted coming to the Storytellers Vault in September 2018!

From everything I've seen, all the ~community content~ efforts outside of DM's Guild have been pretty anemic. I wonder if Exalted's weird fanbase can break that trend? I'm not exactly plugged in like I used to be, but I feel like it's not at all like it used to be.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Whoops, I'm an idiot who can't read!
NuWW doing an Exalted community content thing is, uh, a bad sign. Quite a bad sign. I really hope they don't try to take over Exalted 3 in any way.

My impression of 2e posted homebrew is that there was, wow, there was a lot of it. I've always produced a few homebrew things for every game of Exalted I've run (especially artifacts and custom charms, and always locations) but nothing I would write up thoroughly enough to post. I think 2e got a lot because of the sheer volume of read-but-don't-play posters who lacked games to actually use homebrew in, so their homebrew was very elaborate and ready to plug in. Ex3 seems to have a healthier proportion of people actually playing the game.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Joe Slowboat posted:

My impression of 2e posted homebrew is that there was, wow, there was a lot of it. I've always produced a few homebrew things for every game of Exalted I've run (especially artifacts and custom charms, and always locations) but nothing I would write up thoroughly enough to post. I think 2e got a lot because of the sheer volume of read-but-don't-play posters who lacked games to actually use homebrew in, so their homebrew was very elaborate and ready to plug in. Ex3 seems to have a healthier proportion of people actually playing the game.

I'm always very skeptical of this sort of statement. It's very RPGPundit-y: "They don't even play the games they're trying corrupt with their Cultural Marxism, obviously, because they talk about all this horseshit I don't like and am unfamiliar with and therefore cannot have any practical experience with TRUE RPGS." I mean, I remember there being at least a few frequent posters who said they read everything but didn't play for one reason or another, but I don't remember them being a big proportion of the homebrewers. Even outside of Exalted, I recall encountering tons of overly-elaborate homebrew that nevertheless was used in an actual game.* Just look at most D&D modules that pack in reams of ecology and culture and whatever that 99% of players aren't going to notice as they put a sword through whatever the book said. Gamers will try to emulate that, even if it's a giant waste of time, and one of the many things that could definitely be said about Exalted 2E is that its books were full of mostly-useless information that people soldiered on to try to use anyway.

* Just a funny anecdote, not to prove a point or anything: A friend-of-a-friend waaay back in the early 2000's spent a lot of his time at his job not doing his job, instead churning out this massive D&D3-based complete game setting. It was an enormous waste of tax-payer money and time (he was a programmer for the state), it was incredibly unoriginal and full of the fiddly bullshit heartbreakers often cover themselves in, but without even the courage of trying to not just be a D&D supplement. He had a weekly game within that hodepodge going until at least 2015. He had every intention of turning it into a published thing, at least back in 2003-ish when we hung out a lot and I was briefly in his game. I went through a lot of characters trying, unwittingly and in vain, to overcome LFQW until I decided to try being a sorcerer. I forged ahead even though I was told this was a bad idea, and it turns out the house rules for sorcerer magic were this baroque xp-spend-and-refund system, and also pixel-bitching tracking of spell ingredients down to every last pinch of bat guano. It turns out the guy from his work who was already playing a sorcerer was, uh, an annoying nerd (but not in the same way as the rest of us), so this auteur had been steadily introducing more and more horseshit rules specifically aimed at getting this fellow to quit, without success. After I found that part out I left the game, because even for 2003 shitlord-me that was too much. We did have a pretty cool Star Wars D6 game later.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

That Old Tree posted:

From everything I've seen, all the ~community content~ efforts outside of DM's Guild have been pretty anemic. I wonder if Exalted's weird fanbase can break that trend? I'm not exactly plugged in like I used to be, but I feel like it's not at all like it used to be.

It’s pretty active, if only because entire splats are being put together from scratch instead of having to wait for the next book.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Bedlamdan posted:

It’s pretty active, if only because entire splats are being put together from scratch instead of having to wait for the next book.

Which is explicitly not allowed in the Storyteller's Vault.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

senrath posted:

Which is explicitly not allowed in the Storyteller's Vault.

Yes, so if they want to make a buck they should switch to OC content. It's doable for them, Sandact6 ported the entire fuckin' Heaven's Reach shard to 3E.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

To be clear, I really enjoyed the Ex2 forum! I just noticed that a lot more people mentioned that they never played, but had really extensive ideas about the setting. That's not bad, one of my longest-term RPG players in general was an Ex2 read-only forum homebrewer years before I met him, and I still have him in pretty much every game I run that he's free for.

My point was purely about the specific kind of polish people put into producing stuff for a general public audience, compared to homebrew that just needs to have enough information to work. I could be wrong about the Ex3 fandom, but I don't think there's any question that the new combat and social maneuvering systems are more conducive to play than 2e, which had its issues running wide and deep.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

That Old Tree posted:

I'm always very skeptical of this sort of statement. It's very RPGPundit-y: "They don't even play the games they're trying corrupt with their Cultural Marxism, obviously, because they talk about all this horseshit I don't like and am unfamiliar with and therefore cannot have any practical experience with TRUE RPGS." I mean, I remember there being at least a few frequent posters who said they read everything but didn't play for one reason or another, but I don't remember them being a big proportion of the homebrewers. Even outside of Exalted, I recall encountering tons of overly-elaborate homebrew that nevertheless was used in an actual game.* Just look at most D&D modules that pack in reams of ecology and culture and whatever that 99% of players aren't going to notice as they put a sword through whatever the book said. Gamers will try to emulate that, even if it's a giant waste of time, and one of the many things that could definitely be said about Exalted 2E is that its books were full of mostly-useless information that people soldiered on to try to use anyway.

One of my favorite Exalted characters was based largely on homebrewn Infernal charms (that, sadly, vanished with the loss of the White Wolf wiki); there can be a value to it. Granted, with 2e, the bar was so low that fans were really able to hurdle over it, even though there was a lot of crap as well. Time will tell if the same holds true with 3e, but given how much work there goes in to making a good charmset, it'd be nice to see that level of ridiculous fanwork rewarded.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
I found the results of [url= http://roll1d100.blogspot.com/2018/08/survey-results-watching-d.html]this poll[/url] on twitter. I think the guy who took that poll is a twitch streamer of actual players, so there’s probably some inherent bias to the readership involved, but I think the information is interesting as is.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I've done a lot of homebrew monsters for my games, and I'm looking forward to putting them on the Vault. As usual, there'll probably be a bunch of stuff to sort through, and people will find the stuff that's good based on the quality of the cover art.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Meinberg posted:

I found the results of [url= http://roll1d100.blogspot.com/2018/08/survey-results-watching-d.html]this poll[/url] on twitter. I think the guy who took that poll is a twitch streamer of actual players, so there’s probably some inherent bias to the readership involved, but I think the information is interesting as is.

A few of the questions in that survey were pretty badly constructed, but the free text fields at the end make for a fascinating read. Lots of people want more diverse casts, better LGBT representation in cast and game, that sort of thing. An encouraging quantity want 'no more D&D'. And a surprising number of respondents hate fun and wish people would table talk and crack jokes less.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Of course it's boring to watch other people engage with crunch, especially if you put the camera on the people participating in the game and don't have some way of clearly showing what's going on on the board, Poker / Hearthstone-style.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
I thought OPP owned Exalted outright along with Scion / Aeon. Wonder how NuWW is able to do this then. Hmm...

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

Nystral posted:

I thought OPP owned Exalted outright along with Scion / Aeon. Wonder how NuWW is able to do this then. Hmm...

Nope, White Wolf kept Exalted too, OPP is just licensing it. All they got is Aeon and Scion.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

potatocubed posted:

A few of the questions in that survey were pretty badly constructed, but the free text fields at the end make for a fascinating read. Lots of people want more diverse casts, better LGBT representation in cast and game, that sort of thing. An encouraging quantity want 'no more D&D'. And a surprising number of respondents hate fun and wish people would table talk and crack jokes less.

While I’m not opposed to some table talk,I listen to Actual Plays for the game and the story that emerges from play, not just people doing improv around a game, which is maybe what people are looking for with that last one.

Worldshatter
May 7, 2015

:kazooieass:PEPSI for TV-GAME:kazooieass:

Meinberg posted:

While I’m not opposed to some table talk,I listen to Actual Plays for the game and the story that emerges from play, not just people doing improv around a game, which is maybe what people are looking for with that last one.

I think part of it might also be that whilst it's very fun to sit around and crack jokes with your friends, it's usually less fun to watch other people do it. Personally I like a good bit of table talk because it makes the game feel more natural but I guess I can understand how someone who tuned in more for a "show" might be frustrated by it

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Banter can be fun, especially if it feeds back into a humorous or interesting situation in-game, but not everyone is great at being spontaneously funny. A huge part of what made The Adventure Zone huge is the McElroys are good at bantering with each other. It's the basis of their main podcast and their multiple video series like Monster Factory, too. I haven't tried listening to much Critical Role, but it seems generally more serious about the roleplaying-side, so I can see how listeners of a podcast like that might not care for breaking the tension of a moment with a series of jokes.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Good news! Far West has started shipping!

...and by "shipping" I mean GMS has emailed out the handful of preview chapters he circulated years ago, only with every mention of "D20" replaced with a "D6", so literally nothing new.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
This means Xenforo 2 will be up and running any second now!

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Meinberg posted:

Nope, White Wolf kept Exalted too, OPP is just licensing it. All they got is Aeon and Scion.

OPP also co-owns the Scarred Lands d20 setting with Nocturnal Media. OPP has handled the bulk of that material, especially since the death of Stewart Wieck, who practically ran Nocturnal by himself.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
From an industry artist friend of mine:

"Three European MtG/D&D artists on the ESTA visa-waiver program were denied entry in the US, handcuffed, detained for 11 hours, and sent back to their countries, with their ESTAs cancelled forever."

Ania Steinbauer, Magali Villeneuve, and Titus Lunter.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

dwarf74 posted:

"Three European MtG/D&D artists on the ESTA visa-waiver program were denied entry in the US, handcuffed, detained for 11 hours, and sent back to their countries, with their ESTAs cancelled forever."

Trying to go to DragonCon and falling foul of "is working a booth Working"? That did for Games Workshop's staff a couple of GenCons ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

dwarf74 posted:

What the gently caress, why?