Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
In other news, more evidence piles up that Lord Zedd and Rita are the greatest Toku villains of all time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Burkion posted:

In other news, more evidence piles up that Lord Zedd and Rita are the greatest Toku villains of all time

Do any Sentai Toku main villains get explicitly happy endings? (From power rangers Jared(whoever turns into Dai Shi I can't remember the name), Astronema, Ransik and his daughter, and Mesogog, Divatox, and if course Zedd and Rita also get happy endings that I can think of off the top of my head.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I don't think Mesagog really got a happy ending. He was a split personality that completely split himself off from his human half.

Smitty sure didn't get a happy ending, not that Tommy gave a poo poo.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

A villain from Kamen Rider Ex-Aid sorta does, his Machiavellian playtime being over and ultimately sorta redeeming himself; just in the dickest way possible.
(Going by the Another-Ending trilogy)

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Burkion posted:

I don't think Mesagog really got a happy ending. He was a split personality that completely split himself off from his human half.

Smitty sure didn't get a happy ending, not that Tommy gave a poo poo.

Ah yeah I forgot he was a different dude. Question still stands though since you know the most about Sentai. Any of those villains make it through that crazy mess?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Some of the Abaranger villains got happy endings insofar as their fates are intertwined with Asuka’s and they were being possessed by the final episode big bad who spent most of the show shrouded in mystery. Rijel de-aged after to get a chance at life without an evil tentacle tree or whatever it was influencing her.

Some villains get endings that aren’t happy, but are touching while still getting their just desserts. One died being while comforted with an underling’s lies that they had actually won. And I haven’t watched Zyuranger but I think everybody at this point knows Bandora eventually finds peace in being reunited with her son.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Zedd posted:

A villain from Kamen Rider Ex-Aid sorta does, his Machiavellian playtime being over and ultimately sorta redeeming himself; just in the dickest way possible.
(Going by the Another-Ending trilogy)

Yeah, that really confused me. "Dan actually still evil! Wait. Maybe Dan... actually good? Huh."

Masamune kinda having a weird change of heart as well, and basically saying he should have never let Kuroto grow up or whatever was, uh, harsh.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

Do any Sentai Toku main villains get explicitly happy endings? (From power rangers Jared(whoever turns into Dai Shi I can't remember the name), Astronema, Ransik and his daughter, and Mesogog, Divatox, and if course Zedd and Rita also get happy endings that I can think of off the top of my head.

From memory the bat girls in Magiranger wind up turning good and living happily ever after. Candelilla and Luckyuro in Kyoryuger eventually become mentors to a future team, and that's maybe it from the series I've seen. None of them are main villains though. Mostly it's just sadness followed by death by a ranger with a broken or missing helmet in the final episode.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I'd say Bandora got a pretty happy ending.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Many Sentai villains are people who keeping themselves themselves alive through nefarious means, and part of the bargain of their defeat is going to mean they die, perhaps multiple times. Dan Kuroto from Ex-Aid and Professor Bias from Liveman are two guys who are both really intelligent scientists, and both think being alive forever is two-thirds of the evil plan, though what Kuroto wants to do with his immortality is at least more selfless than Bias’s ideal of just being worshipped like a god by a pacified populace. But that’s Showa villainy for you, you don’t really have to have a meaningful goal to be bad. Sort of splitting the difference, Bandora is a prehistoric person cheating death in a deal with the devil, but her gripe with the world is somewhat relatable.

Also, Kuroto’s only real antagonists are Cronus and Lazer, because they’re the only ones who know the full scope of what he wants to do and disagree with it. Ex-Aid, Brave, and Snipe either don’t know the full details or have backgrounds where they could be convinced to his side.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Aug 25, 2018

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
The morality in the Tokusatsu genre is really interesting when you think about it, even teams like GoGoV who are primarily a rescue group(and indeed their motto is about the inherent value of human lives) slaughter monsters with barely a comment

Even Power Rangers has done very little exploration of that even though American superhero stuff usually puts more emphasis on the morality of killing

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The Bowzock from Carranger all survived the series and integrated into society afterwards (though to be fair, they were just being used and were basically already good guys by the time the finale rolled around).

Also while it doesn't count as an official series, Malshina lived through both seasons of Akibaranger and wound up helping them out in the end.

Finally, Bandora's entire gang lived through Zyuranger and were last seen spinning through space in a jar while taking care of Gifforzer and Lami's newborn child.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Aug 25, 2018

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

drrockso20 posted:

The morality in the Tokusatsu genre is really interesting when you think about it, even teams like GoGoV who are primarily a rescue group(and indeed their motto is about the inherent value of human lives) slaughter monsters with barely a comment

Even Power Rangers has done very little exploration of that even though American superhero stuff usually puts more emphasis on the morality of killing

Isn’t this why everybody loves Time Force? Everybody’s got a fairly legitimate case for what they’re doing. Only Jen’s fiancée is kind of an asswipe, and it’s mostly because he’s got an abusive ex personality that’s sanitized for kids TV.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

Ah yeah I forgot he was a different dude. Question still stands though since you know the most about Sentai. Any of those villains make it through that crazy mess?
Doesn't Toqger kind of end up having a bunch redeemed villains? Only one of them really has a happy ending but it is really centered on redemption.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
The villains from GoOnger had a pretty happy ending judging from the events of 10 years later.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Why have Jindrax and Toxica not been mentioned yet?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
In Ex-Aid, Parad also originally starts as a villain before doing a heel turn partway through the series.

In ToQger, the final boss actually gets what he was searching for all along and is spared.

In Drive, Heart essentially got the only ending he ever wanted so while he died, that was the happiest ending for him, even in his own mind.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nodosaur posted:

Technically they only got a happy ending of sorts in the Power Rangers version but sure. Also while you might not call it a "happy" ending per se, Rio and Mele did go out as heroes at the end of Gekiranger.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Larryb posted:

Technically they only got a happy ending of sorts in the Power Rangers version but sure. Also while you might not call it a "happy" ending per se, Rio and Mele did go out as heroes at the end of Gekiranger.

I mean they're different characters from their Gaoranger counterparts anyway, so

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Nodosaur posted:

Because that would involve watching Wild Force.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Does SPD do the Dekaranger thing where they basically have all the monsters "fairly" judged and sentenced to execution?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Caphi posted:

Does SPD do the Dekaranger thing where they basically have all the monsters "fairly" judged and sentenced to execution?

They're imprisoned in capture cards.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nodosaur posted:

I mean they're different characters from their Gaoranger counterparts anyway, so

Sort of, their Gaoranger counterparts go through many of the same things (including being treated like poo poo by their bosses and even flat out discarded at one point) but for some reason in the Sentai they remain loyal to the Orgs to the very end (even returning as central antagonists in the Hurricanger crossover).

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Like, he's just inherently an evil dude, I think.

I'm not big on fanon/headcanon, but I've always had this back-of-my-head notion that Rita's turn-evil spell was way more effective than most would assume and the only reason it doesnt come to the forefront is because Tommy is actively fighting it without telling anyone, because he doesn't want to worry his friends. Most of his later turn-evils were just other guys tapping into that existing framework.

Vaguely related: both Power Rangers podcasts I listen to have, at some point, floated the idea that PRiS should've ended with Tommy killing Zordon instead of Andros, because of this very thing. The only person who could bring themselves to kill Zordon is one who was brain-raped to really want to get rid of Zordon. On one hand, that'd be a great little idea... but on the other hand, ugh no that is bad.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Tommy wasn’t an inherently evil dude because the Zeo Crystal would have zapped him. That was the whole point of him going to the bad guy lair.

Now, Katherine on the other hand, was introduced as if she was an inherently evil person who cast a Be Good spell over herself.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
That's because she had a prior Be Evil spell, called "Nick your head on a diving board hard enough to give yourself a concussion"

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

FilthyImp posted:

That's because she had a prior Be Evil spell, called "is from Sydney"

gently caress New South Wales.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

So was the Be Good spell actually "Be from Perth"?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Don't Lothor's nieces get happy endings? I thought they became ninja students.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

Don't Lothor's nieces get happy endings? I thought they became ninja students.

That's correct, yes. Also on the Sentai side, a MotW from Abaranger not only becomes a good guy and survives the series but also is a semi-regular on the show from that point on.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Aug 25, 2018

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Oh, there's that one weird guy from Gokaiger. He looked like a jester, went on some kind of journey around the world, I think? Can't remember his name at all.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Doesn't ZenAku go on a world tour of self discovery with Merrick? That's kind of happy?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I think Tritor of Horath must have brought Bulk back from Miranoi.

What a cool little character. In a little more than one episode and he basically is not interesting and had more development than any of the alien rangers (and I LIKE the alien rangers), Dex, Trey or other previous short term guests.

And holy crap I never realized he was Koichi Sakomoto.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Craptacular! posted:

Because that would involve watching Wild Force.

:mad:

FilthyImp posted:

Doesn't ZenAku go on a world tour of self discovery with Merrick? That's kind of happy?

This is true.

Also Ransik surrendered to the Time Force Rangers and Nadira and Lucas hooked up. Tanaya ended up traveling around with Summer and Dillon in RPM.

Morby fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Aug 25, 2018

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I like that Ransik is basically Magneto. You can see where his anger comes from, and he's somewhat justified... but he's still a lovely person for killing that scientist, being a terrorist and poo poo.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Today on Power Rangers, the thread becomes grateful that I didn't name this one Groundcog Day.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

FilthyImp posted:

I like that Ransik is basically Magneto. You can see where his anger comes from, and he's somewhat justified... but he's still a lovely person for killing that scientist, being a terrorist and poo poo.

It was pretty lame that he just became human at the end of that team-up, it kind of just ruins his entire story arc.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I haven't watched the episode yet but apparently Ninja Steel finally started back up today.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Oh, there's that one weird guy from Gokaiger. He looked like a jester, went on some kind of journey around the world, I think? Can't remember his name at all.

Jealousto. He ends up eloping with a girl and starting an inn.

Also probably the toughest person in the Zangyack Empire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Funky Valentine posted:

Jealousto. He ends up eloping with a girl and starting an inn.

Also probably the toughest person in the Zangyack Empire.

And shoutout to Vancuria being an Easter egg in every prison sequence ever. 😂