Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

faxmachine
Apr 1, 2007

Oh yeah....
Not gonna lie, I'm very excited about this, I've been waiting for this ship to be released for a long time.

Lafayette Class Recon Destroyer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I hope nobody was expecting them to keep making new Romulan and Jem'Hadar ships

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I gotta say, I really never liked the Andromeda design style they're raving on about, and was always sad that the Galaxies didn't have something nicer as alt future parts that looked like an evolution of the Galaxy curves rather than the weird angular neon thing and hump neck.

It sounds like we'll have classical skin parts as well for the New Orleans, at least.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Aug 20, 2018

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

FuturePastNow posted:

I hope nobody was expecting them to keep making new Romulan and Jem'Hadar ships

Given that the direction from here on out is all STD all the time, and Romulans and Dominion haven't been on STD...

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

faxmachine posted:

Not gonna lie, I'm very excited about this, I've been waiting for this ship to be released for a long time.

Lafayette Class Recon Destroyer

It's cool they named this ship after that fry cook in True Blood.

stachatoryR
Aug 9, 2004
Hey gang, can I get access to the wiki?

user: smashclickenter

edit: sto: young@bncceo

stachatoryR fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Aug 22, 2018

faxmachine
Apr 1, 2007

Oh yeah....

DancingShade posted:

Hit me right in the feels.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
Hey I play this game sometimes.

My guy is hammy@hisemtuks

Putting In for the wiki now

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

DancingShade posted:

bcott
Dec 3, 2017

Acer Pilot posted:

They're still pending spotlight review. It's been like 3 years.

Please vote for Bijor!

Picked up all three parts and couldn't get them to start. Have you updated the entry gate to the new Deep Space Nine map?

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

I did not. I’ll check it out on the weekend.

Farts
Nov 4, 2005
Registered for the Wiki as my SA name, Farts. I think I am level 14 or so and play casually. Girlfriend is in love with Star Trek universe so we are "playing together"

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

I think, therefore I am inevitable.

Farts posted:

Registered for the Wiki as my SA name, Farts. I think I am level 14 or so and play casually. Girlfriend is in love with Star Trek universe so we are "playing together"

:sever:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Aside from wiki access requests, has everyone that has recently chimed in received an invite to Next Gooneration and joined?

stachatoryR
Aug 9, 2004

Potential BFF posted:

Aside from wiki access requests, has everyone that has recently chimed in received an invite to Next Gooneration and joined?

I don't *think* I've received an invite yet. Also my wiki still appears to need approval/elevation.

wiki: smashclickenter
sto: Young@bncceo#2951 (I missed the number part in my previous post)

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

stachatoryR posted:

wiki: smashclickenter

Auth'd, since everyone else is bein too fuckin lazy

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.
I LEARNED IT FROM WATCHING YOU!

faxmachine
Apr 1, 2007

Oh yeah....
We have a wiki?

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

faxmachine posted:

We have a wiki?
Yes, filled with all the highest DPS builds of 2014.

Farts
Nov 4, 2005
I forgot to post for a chat invite.

Glockenspiel@deathpump

fakemirage
Nov 6, 2012

Can't see the haters.

Razorwired posted:

My guy is hammy@hisemtuks

stachatoryR posted:

sto: Young@bncceo#2951 (I missed the number part in my previous post)

Farts posted:

Glockenspiel@deathpump
You're all invited to the channel. Check the OP for details.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
What's the klank population like at present? Haven't played in ages, pretty much only Fed/RomFed. Got the urge to Klank around.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

The goon Klank fleet is on par with the Feds and queues are pretty much all cross faction. KDF best DF!

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
end the fed!!!!

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Good to hear.

Further questions -

What's the actual performance difference between T5-U and T6?
Is there a list of the universal consoles that have sets which, when completed, grant further powers? I think I remember one that used to grant an additional power if you had all consoles in the set. I think it was the dyson one? Was a while ago. Memory is poo poo.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

T5-U ships are perfectly serviceable. On average they probably have a lower hull and shield value than a T6 but they work just fine for current content.

As for sets, there's a ton of them. STO Wiki has a full list here

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

I wouldn't really worry about console sets. Set bonuses were something to chase when the only thing around was MACO or Omega, but I'm pretty sure they're all totally inconsequential after eight years of power creep.

I mean, if they grant some clicky you wanna gently caress around with go ahead, but don't think you need them for any other reason whatsoever. Iconian set aside, ofc, all praise the mighty iconian set.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Kinetic Cutter/Borg console is still mandatory, isn't it?

bij
Feb 24, 2007

The Borg two piece isn't a huge deal anymore but can still be nice if you don't have a Plasmonic Leech , Supremacy, or Lobi consoles to stick in your slots. The Borg console continues to be a worthwhile slot until you spend an assload of Lobi and even then it is still nice on a bunch of builds. The Zero-Point Energy Conduit from the Romulan rep isn't bad if you don't have a ton of pay to win but it's generally the first thing to get trimmed for fun clickies etc.There's a bunch of featured episode sets that synergize nicely with disruptors or phasers now as well:

Quantum Phase Catalysts console + torpedo from "Sunrise" and the Trilithium-Laced console + turret/omni from "Beyond The Nexus" if you're running phasers

or

The full Entoiled Technologies set from "Echoes of Light" and House Martok console + omni from "Brushfire" if you're running disuptors

The Temporal Disentanglement Suite console from "Butterfly" is useful for pretty much everyone and the Polaric Modulator from "Delta Flight" is pretty nice if you wanna go fast.

bij fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Aug 27, 2018

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

Iymarra posted:

What's the actual performance difference between T5-U and T6?

About one console, one extra lt level boff power, and a smidge of extra hull/shields

The actual power level difference between tier 5 and tier 6 ships come from the ship traits. Each t6 ship comes with a ship trait that is unlocked by earning xp from space combat while piloting that ship. Once the trait is unlocked you can use it with any ship you fly with up to 4 slotted (you can also buy a fifth slot with dil/fleet credits). So you're looking at a pile of zen/EC to get the 4-5 traits you want for a build to really get the benefits of tier 6 ships the game remains piss easy though so you don't need any of that poo poo.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

MikeJF posted:

Kinetic Cutter/Borg console is still mandatory, isn't it?

Keep the console but dump the cutting beam. Toss on an extra beam array or whatever you're using instead.

(it's proc based and has a very short uptime, so don't bother expecting the bonus weapon power to be worth a drat)

The console from the temporal rep set is pretty good too, if you're looking for a simple stat buff console that works well in isolation.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Getting a weird urge to come back to STO lately. I haven't really played seriously since godknowswhen (back when level cap was like 50?).

Mind shooting an invite to the chat channel to Droen@SA_Drone (misspelling of first part of the name intentional).

I've got a poorly-put-together Tier 5 Recon Science Vessel (the Luna) and kinda want to slide over into a Nebula or the newly announced New Orleans. Is there a way to do that that doesn't involve paying Zen? Or do I get some kind of ship requisition thing when I hit level 60 like you used to every ten levels?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

You don't get freebies at T6, they rely on the summer/winter ships for that now. I'll shoot you over some fleet ship modules you can use to pick one of them up from Dental.

Anyone have thoughts on New Orleans vs Nebula? Guessing Norleans, destroyer instead of sci ship.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I should probably get around to actually joining Dental then. I'm still in a gay dead fleet that we put together in IRC years and years ago :v:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Just took a look at the stats. Nebula will have a few extra scihole abilities but the Norleans will obliterate it in terms of pew pew.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Mondian posted:

I wouldn't really worry about console sets. Set bonuses were something to chase when the only thing around was MACO or Omega, but I'm pretty sure they're all totally inconsequential after eight years of power creep.

I mean, if they grant some clicky you wanna gently caress around with go ahead, but don't think you need them for any other reason whatsoever. Iconian set aside, ofc, all praise the mighty iconian set.
The DPS chasers have largely replaced the iconian set, usually with some of the prevailing regalia set and fleet items. Getting a huge speed boost every time you activate a boff power is really nice.

Blacula
Dec 22, 2008

Drone posted:

I should probably get around to actually joining Dental then. I'm still in a gay dead fleet that we put together in IRC years and years ago :v:

Sounds like it would make a fine addition to the armada!

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Oh wow, Rommies can fly almost all of their faction-aligned ships now? That's one hell of a neat change. Makes it real hard to decide between playing a Klank aligned Rommie or just a straight KDF character, given the amount of choice on offer.

Still no T6 upgrade or whatever for the dyson destroyers? Those were always my favourite ships, especially with the tac-mode and the little shifting nacelles on a science vessel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bcott
Dec 3, 2017

Iymarra posted:

Oh wow, Rommies can fly almost all of their faction-aligned ships now? That's one hell of a neat change. Makes it real hard to decide between playing a Klank aligned Rommie or just a straight KDF character, given the amount of choice on offer.

Ship access was that changed shortly before ViL released. Jem'Hadar would have been another sub-faction to make special ships for. Since the change, there's been a noticeable cut back on Rom ships with just Fed and KDF in the latest pack.
When chasing DPS/dil, Klank-Rom seems to be the current meta for the bonus doff missions and Superior Romulan Operative boffs.
I believe Klanks have slightly more faction-specific outfit options than Klank-Rom but I've not tried opening any Lobi outfits on a Klank-Rom.
There's not really a wrong choice when it comes to character/faction/class selection, or even gear. Pick what works for you and make it yours.