Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
Maybe he'll finally realize how terrible and out of place he is and go away. It's quite incredible that the very worst part of the New 52 Flash is the only part that stuck around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Neurosis posted:

Yes. He was put in an awkward place by redhead Wally's return where he felt superfluous to the Wally/Barry drama in Flash. But he just found out he didn't exist pre Flashpoint and it has messed with him; I hope this isn't all resolved within a few issues because I think the damage this could do to his sense of self would be an interesting character thread to follow (as long as it wasn't an 'ahaha now I'm evil' stupid character turn).

He wouldn't go that far. He might pull a Superboy Prime and gently caress up reality (intentionally or unintentionally) because of angst and anguish, or he might "sacrifice himself" to resolve the next, inevitable, crisis

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Maybe he'll finally realize how terrible and out of place he is and go away. It's quite incredible that the very worst part of the New 52 Flash is the only part that stuck around.

I actually don't mind him. I just want him to get some separation with Barry and Wally.

But I'm also used to like 5 speedsters from the Mark Waid Flash days...

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://13thdimension.com/exclusive-preview-red-hood-and-the-outlaws-annual-2/

Roy :cry:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
So I guess my only 'problem' with this whole thing going on in Red Hood, is... King's Batman is about to tell a present-day story with the Penguin. So he's not dead. So now we're in this weird moment where Penguin can be dead in RHatO and alive in Batman.

So... Which is it?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Penguin didn't actually die

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

pubic works project posted:

I actually don't mind him. I just want him to get some separation with Barry and Wally.

But I'm also used to like 5 speedsters from the Mark Waid Flash days...

That's kind of my point. He's taking up space that better characters like Bart inhabit. And his only reason to exist is to save face after making an enormous mistake.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Onmi posted:

So I guess my only 'problem' with this whole thing going on in Red Hood, is... King's Batman is about to tell a present-day story with the Penguin. So he's not dead. So now we're in this weird moment where Penguin can be dead in RHatO and alive in Batman.

So... Which is it?

Xelkelvos posted:

Penguin didn't actually die

Yeah, going by the pics King has been posting on his Twitter, Penguin only lost an eye. Evidencing how the whole thing was just poorly planned to justify Jason leaving Gotham.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

'Wallace' has been doing just fine and had a nice stint in Deathstroke's series.

Bart, aka "Barry + Fart," can go back to pre-Flashpoint, unmissed and unmourned.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Space Fish posted:

'Wallace' has been doing just fine and had a nice stint in Deathstroke's series.

Bart, aka "Barry + Fart," can go back to pre-Flashpoint, unmissed and unmourned.

How could someone be this painfully wrong.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Yeah, going by the pics King has been posting on his Twitter, Penguin only lost an eye. Evidencing how the whole thing was just poorly planned to justify Jason leaving Gotham.

No it was a good reason to get an rear end in a top hat out of Gotham.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

MonsterEnvy posted:

No it was a good reason to get an rear end in a top hat out of Gotham.

Regardless your personal feelings about Jason, the fact of the matter remains that the whole thing was a poorly plotted excuse that failed to carry the ongoing narrative of both RHATO and the larger narrative present on the rest of the Batman books. There were many other plots they could've used to take Jason out of Gotham that didn't need for them to destroy the relationship they've been building for seven years now.

And really, I don't even know why are you accusing Jason of being an rear end in a top hat when the guy has mellowed out a gently caress ton over the years.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Space Fish posted:

Hard to make the wrongest post on a page where DT posted but here we are.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Regardless your personal feelings about Jason, the fact of the matter remains that the whole thing was a poorly plotted excuse that failed to carry the ongoing narrative of both RHATO and the larger narrative present on the rest of the Batman books. There were many other plots they could've used to take Jason out of Gotham that didn't need for them to destroy the relationship they've been building for seven years now.

And really, I don't even know why are you accusing Jason of being an rear end in a top hat when the guy has mellowed out a gently caress ton over the years.

And hemmorhoids tend to flare up again and again over the years. Better to get them surgically removed for good.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Space Fish posted:

You're about to fight XO, Two Tone Shoes, and me!! Probably about 8 others too!!! :doom:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

It's a relationship that Batman should not have tolerated for a long time. It was best to finally get rid of the Elephant in the Room.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

MonsterEnvy posted:

It's a relationship that Batman should not have tolerated for a long time. It was best to finally get rid of the Elephant in the Room.

Why though?

It's fine if you don't like Jason but acting as if Jason has been killing people left and right over the last seven years is a bunch of crap. Flashpoint erased the whole BFTC bullshit and also UtRH, and the glimpses shown over the different books showed Jason and Bruce never having things escalate as much as they did in the Pre N52 DCU.

Furthermore, we're talking of a Bruce that has willingly teamed with a bunch of villains (including the loving Joker) during the same timespan.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014
Jason's a pretty divisive character. There's a wide variety of reasons but considering he came back to life because someone punched time I don't think 'he shot someone in Gotham and Batman drove him out of town' can really be considered poorly plotted. The guy's been waving guns around and talks about killing baddies like the Punisher on ecstasy since he came back from the dead. Even if he hasn't been killing people left and right, Batman has been a dominating force in Gotham for almost a century now in real life. If Jason wants to have stories that aren't whining about Batman and the Joker, he's going to have to leave their area of operations, because they sure aren't.

And while I admit I haven't done any surveys on the matter, a majority of Jason fans seem to be made from people who don't like Batman, which gives writers even more reason to have him go off somewhere.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

That preview was handy.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

nofather posted:

Jason's a pretty divisive character. There's a wide variety of reasons but considering he came back to life because someone punched time I don't think 'he shot someone in Gotham and Batman drove him out of town' can really be considered poorly plotted. The guy's been waving guns around and talks about killing baddies like the Punisher on ecstasy since he came back from the dead. Even if he hasn't been killing people left and right, Batman has been a dominating force in Gotham for almost a century now in real life. If Jason wants to have stories that aren't whining about Batman and the Joker, he's going to have to leave their area of operations, because they sure aren't.

And while I admit I haven't done any surveys on the matter, a majority of Jason fans seem to be made from people who don't like Batman, which gives writers even more reason to have him go off somewhere.

I mean, that is exactly what RHATO has been for the most part of its entire run. Jason bitching about Bruce is most of the time a consequence from Editorial forcing the book into crossovers with little care for whatever plot Lobdell had going at the time.

And that is the problem with the current change to the status quo, is just something so blatantly mandated by editorial, and thus, most of the criticism is getting is earned.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
To be fair I also would not care about Lobdells plotting.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

CharlestheHammer posted:

To be fair I also would not care about Lobdells plotting.

His name always reminds me of Bob Loblaw from Arrested Development

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
DT does have a point that like it or not (And for most people here it's not), Jason going around killing people is entirely something that's been retconned out, and Batman puts up with Harley Quinn a known murderer and criminal and works with her semi-often. For all intents and purposes, "Killing" Penguin was the first act of actually killing someone Jason's done in actual years that's actually canonical. Again, you don't have to like Jason, or like this, but it is the case.

Unpopular opinion, I actually like RHatO. Isn't the best book, but I generally enjoy picking it up when I do.

Also this

MonsterEnvy posted:

Is dumb. Batman tolerates tonnes of relationships with people of varying degrees of murderboner, many of whom aren't one of his sons, some of whom are outright criminals. And considering what Damian is getting up to in Teen Titans, he would be right to disown him too.

I was totally cool with Jason and Bruce falling out on Jason killing the Penguin, but the falling out loses weight when Penguin doesn't actually die. It just feels halfhearted like "Jason crosses the line and Goes Too Far except he doesn't and he only kinda does."

I'm going to assume it's going to give Penguin brain damage to forgetting Jason and Bruce and the connection that told him Batman's identity, because, ya know, that's kind of an important thing.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Teenage Fansub posted:

That preview was handy.

"No Jasons" We're allowed to have one. I'll be the one, unless you'd rather have JT.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I'm fine reading some great Bart stories if anyone wants to recommend me some!

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Madkal posted:

Snyder's Justice League feels like the spiritual successor to Grant Morrison's Justice League run, so if you liked G-Mos run you should like Snyder's run too.

Hey all, I was going to ask a question much like the one this one answers so I’m posting now instead of finishing the thread and forgetting.

After being seduced into making mine Marvel for too long (mostly in/because of the movie theater too, the shame), I’ve done some rereading of relatively modern DC classics over the last couple of weeks...G-mo JLA (incl JLA 1MM), rear end, Final Crisis, a quick thumb through the beautiful Black Glove, culminating in re-digesting Seven Soldiers over a day. (My wife once told me we couldn’t name our kid “Grant Morrison [User]”, primarily because the poor girl was already about nine when I suggested it. And no time to re-read the post-FC Dickiebats & Damien trades or Batman’s return stuff yet.)

So where am I going? I need recommendations for DC. I don’t care too much about any specific characters. Solo titles or team books; it doesn’t matter. The creator doesn’t have to be G-Mo, just that he does stuff I love in the way I love it, like:
*) Batshit cosmic ideas: Lingering freeform heroes’ spirit energy inhabits their future bodies to fight the total subjugation of Earth, but Darkseid gets taken down by Ray Palmer and Speedy. Or modern heroes are spirit-transported to the far future to compete in planet-themed Olympic events. Or the Superman Squad has to prepare for deep time travel!
*) The big universe: it’s almost cheating to mention it but JLA 1MM has so much evocative background flavor scattered through the whole story. One thing I love about fantasy/sci-fi/superhero stories that are done well are how they make the reader feel like they are only seeing one small corner of the book they’re reading.
*) Multiple threads that all wrap together reasonably. Seven Soldiers is obviously a winner here. But so was {whispers} the Infinity War movie.

I stopped reading stuff regularly around 2008-2011ish, so there’s some space to dig into. Not looking for a giant pull list. I’d be happy with some suggestions for trades to look at to get myself back in reading quality stuff I’d like.

Also, quick related request: I love Injustice panels that’ve been posted in FBSS. I know there’s a certain point to start the series(ses) where it/they just get(s) really good instead of primarily following the arc of the video game. Where is that point?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

Hard to make the wrongest post on a page where DT posted but here we are.

Ha!

Impulse 1-25 is a master class on teenage heroes.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Multiversity seems like an obvious recommendation.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Open Marriage Night posted:

"No Jasons" We're allowed to have one. I'll be the one, unless you'd rather have JT.

Just Jason Blood, sorry.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rhyno posted:

Ha!

Impulse 1-25 is a master class on teenage heroes.

Can we bring that Waid forward in time to write Champions?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dawgstar posted:

Can we bring that Waid forward in time to write Champions?

If only.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
It's double weird because it's not just like another Waid wrote Impulse, it's like another Ramos drew it. Impulse is visually such a fun, elastic, unbounded book, it reminds me of Jack Cole's Plastic Man in how it uses its character's powers to mess with how a story can be told and how it can look while still being super easy and accessible to follow, while everybody in Champions looks like a teenage Slim Jim.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I'm still plugging away at my Infinite Crisis omnibus and I just finished the Villains United stuff with the Secret Six. That was maybe my favorite part so far. How is the Secret Six ongoing that Simone wrote afterward?

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
At least in the primary circle that I discuss comics with, it was well received. I feel I would've gotten more emotional resonance reading it as it was being published though.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I really really enjoyed Secret Six but that is because I am a sucker for anything Deadshot. Overall the stories had a good range of dark humour, action and heart. Just note that if you are a Bane fan you might be peeved by Simone's portrayal of him.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Villains United was the highlight of all of Simone's Secret Six work, but I liked everything I read. I'm also a Deadshot mark, and I loved the friendship that grew between him and Catman.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Also don't mess up and read New 52 Secret Six because it is downright one of the worst things I've ever read

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Dunbar posted:

I'm still plugging away at my Infinite Crisis omnibus and I just finished the Villains United stuff with the Secret Six. That was maybe my favorite part so far. How is the Secret Six ongoing that Simone wrote afterward?

Read the mini and the first ongoing of you like Secret Six. They are good. The second ongoing she did is not good.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Catwoman/Sylvester & Tweety's story was way too thin for 30 pages, but props to Gail Simone for including pretty much every cat and bird related character in the DCU, including whoever the cat-guy was from Omega Men.
Edit: Oh, and Ted Grant’s there in a comic for the first time in years (outside of the Earth 2 version.)

And Mark Russell sure got his hands on cartoons again.

Also in Luthor/Porky we get a peek at the early days of Prez's Pharmaduke and Dr. Sivana is their Martin Shkreli.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Aug 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Teenage Fansub posted:

Catwoman/Sylvester & Tweety's story was way too thin for 30 pages, but props to Gail Simone for including pretty much every cat and bird related character in the DCU, including whoever the cat-guy was from Omega Men.

And Mark Russell sure got his hands on cartoons again.

Oh my