Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

RobotsLoveSpectres posted:

I probably missed the discussion on this but how deficient can you be to take 74 hours to make it through path of exiles story lol

He knew nothing about the game, didn't read any tips/guides and went through every single piece of quest/lore/area etc. poo poo adds up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Obligatory get in the guild now and not on launch weekend post.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

TheRat posted:

He knew nothing about the game, didn't read any tips/guides and went through every single piece of quest/lore/area etc. poo poo adds up.
If you treated Path of Exile as a Serious RPG with a Serious Story worth critiquing, and thought that the "objective" of the game was to finish A10 and then stop, I can see how you'd come away thinking PoE is a bad game.

But that would basically require not knowing what ARPGs are or why anyone would want to play one.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

my first time through the game probably took a similar amount of time although it was 2 more acts. i listened to all the dialogue, read all the lore i found, fully explored areas while i was leveling because i didnt know if there were secret areas or anything (and that league there were challenges to full clear poo poo like the fellshrine ruins iirc), spent tons of time in town looking at the tree, etc.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
He didn't even call it a bad game, just one with flaws that catered to a niche audience.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
It's dumb but inevitable someone made a non ARPG vet play and review PoE

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

dyzzy posted:

He didn't even call it a bad game, just one with flaws that catered to a niche audience.

Which is basically spot on

RobotsLoveSpectres
Dec 29, 2008
I have nothing against the score he gave I'm just in awe of spending the equivalent of two work weeks getting to act 10

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
how else are you going to play an arpg if not full clearing every map you enter???

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Truga posted:

how else are you going to play an arpg if not full clearing every map you enter???

I like to full clear maps as well but it usually takes me around 30 hours to get through the story, not 75.

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug
I totally understand where he is coming from - I started playing PoE cause I was looking for a game with online co-op to play with my sister, and POE had a good reputation as a non-scummy F2P game.
Playing at a rate of ~2 hours a week, we started halfway through harbringer league and finished act 10 in Bestiary (Standard was a big help here).

Going in blind, the game is difficult and slow:
  • No build guide, so the passive tree is huge and daunting, pretty much every level up requires a few min to think about
  • Same with gems, there are so many gems and supports you can spend hours trying out combos and still miss some critical ones like CWDT+IC
  • No loot filter, so you have no idea which rares are worth picking up, so you just grab all of them
  • On top of that, I spent so much time carefully comparing equipment while leveling trying to get the best stats
  • No knowledge about vendor recipies (and no loot filter to pick them out), so you are always critically low on chromes
  • I did every quest cause maybe the rewards will be good
  • No knowledge of the meta so you are probably using poo poo gems + supports

I played duelist w/ double strike + melee aoe while my sister played a shadow using a dagger and any gem that mentioned 'blade'. I ended up using brutality in act 4 cause it boosted my tooltip DPS and I wasn't using ele damage anyways. After we beat act 5, my sister's character was so fragile, and I was doing so little damage, that we considered stopping. Luckily, I had been playing solo in abyss league using a build guide and I was barely knowledgeable enough to be able to help her change up her gear (resists) and use all of our respec points to somewhat salvage our builds. Even then it was a real struggle to complete act 10.

I'm way more proficient at the game now, but the game is hard for new players.

Fake edit: I almost forgot, when I did learn about vendor recipes I made sure to pick up every weapon and armour with quality for those sweet sweet scraps and whetstones

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

boredsatellite posted:

That's uh pretty drat unlucky to be honest. Probably not helped by less people playing due to the league ending but still

Okay, I tried again today and got luckier.

RobotsLoveSpectres
Dec 29, 2008
Just curious, were you new to ARPGs BadMedic?

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug
No, but my experience only consisted of beating base Diablo 2 on normal with a few different characters. I don't think I ever attempted the higher difficulties.

Applebee123
Oct 9, 2007

That's 10$ for the spinefund.
I wonder if they paid him 80 hours worth of pay for the review he wrote for them.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Awesome! posted:

i just insta-ignore people who pull that poo poo

i too ignore people i can't scam. lmbo

ubachung posted:

I really don't care too much if you guys want to be assholes, but this is straight up bullshit. There is no difference between dropping stuff into a 1c tab or a 1ex tab, and if you have multiple sell tabs changing the price is as easy as moving items from one tab to another. There is no more obligation to price things individually if you start pricing at 1ex than if you start at 1c. The way I do it is basically exactly the same process except in reverse, and as an added bonus I don't really ever have to bother price checking. Stuff sells or it doesn't.

I get it, exerting even 0.1% extra effort to not screw with others is too big an ask for some people. But these attempts to justify the practice are incredibly weak. If you can't be bothered to determine an accurate price for something that's your problem, and yet you're making it someone else's.

Keep doing what you're doing, by all means, but don't try to pretend it would be some enormous sacrifice for you to do otherwise.

And goons wonder why they are poor and can't make money. Let me just make a 1exalt dump tab because that will work!

What a hill to die on calling someone an rear end in a top hat because you can't scam them out of their good rare for 1c and don't want them to learn what's good and what's not. Ignore the goons saying a 1c/5c dump tab and repricing is being a dick. Having a 1c/5c dump tab and using it to reprice a good item when you get insta whispered by a bunch of people (the key point here) is a great way to learn what's good and what's not. If I get a whisper from said tab outside of 5-10 mins I'll usually sell the item as is.

Nezkar posted:

some serious nickle & dime collectors in this thread. Do you actually learn the value of stuff and use that in your future sales with the dump tab method? I operate on three normal premium tabs for selling stuff - and only one of those is items, the other 2 are mostly maps and had no problem making more the enough money for everything I needed and then some. Price your poo poo to sell.

Now what do I do with this last point...

pretty sure anyone with a pulse could make that kind of currency hitting level 100. If you didn't I'd accuse you of RMT.

Holyshoot fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Aug 26, 2018

Ovenmaster
Feb 22, 2006
I am the master of ovens for some reason.
Would like an invite for McFaceBeard if there's room, please and thank you.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK
gently caress ya, I just got my first Exalted Orb ever. To bad seasons done in 5 days :P

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Holyshoot posted:

i too ignore people i can't scam. lmbo

And goons wonder why they are poor and can't make money. Let me just make a 1exalt dump tab because that will work!

What a hill to die on calling someone an rear end in a top hat because you can't scam them out of their good rare for 1c and don't want them to learn what's good and what's not. Ignore the goons saying a 1c/5c dump tab and repricing is being a dick. Having a 1c/5c dump tab and using it to reprice a good item when you get insta whispered by a bunch of people (the key point here) is a great way to learn what's good and what's not. If I get a whisper from said tab outside of 5-10 mins I'll usually sell the item as is.

pretty sure anyone with a pulse could make that kind of currency hitting level 100. If you didn't I'd accuse you of RMT.

another rear end in a top hat reveals himself

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

The problem is that most people don't bother learning what has value and will dump tab into Oblivion

At the very least don't have your dump tab be priced at 1c assholes

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Awesome! posted:

another rear end in a top hat reveals himself
glad we can agree we are both assholes

ThermosAquaticus posted:

Changing a price in response to obvious demand is no more an rear end in a top hat move than paying someone a below market price because they've underpriced is.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
it's me the goon who is mad that this cute newbee wouldn't sell his taste of hate he threw in a dump tab for a chaos to me. What an rear end in a top hat!

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

yes, that is exactly the situation we are talking about. you nailed it.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Holyshoot posted:

it's me the goon who is mad that this cute newbee wouldn't sell his taste of hate he threw in a dump tab for a chaos to me. What an rear end in a top hat!

Did you just skip over 95% of the conversation?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Turd Herder posted:

I meant a totally different class . Like is there a decent Sword and board with life leech class?

Champion is your guy, you don't even need a board!

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

slayer or gladiator would be good too. slayer focusing more on the leech, glad focusing more on the board.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Adjusting price based on demand is how economy works.

But it's meant to be after the item has sold, not before.

Wow I've sold a lot of item x, better up the price!
vs
Wow a lot of orders to fill....better cancel them all and reup the advert for more money!

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
Listing poo poo underpriced because you're too lazy to check trade listings is the most selfish poo poo. You can take like 10 seconds to query poe.trade and find a reasonable price, or you can price something too low and have a bunch of people whisper you and wait, hopefully, for 30 seconds for you to respond, only to be disappointed. Wasting a whole bunch of strangers' time so you can save a bit of time yourself is the loving definition of a dick move.

If you think otherwise, you've never ever ever in your whole loving life bothered to imagine what it's like to be someone else and consider their point of view. You are the sort of person to cut people off and cause traffic jams. Your friends might be your friends but they still often think you're kind of a dick. You lie a lot, mostly for self-aggrandizement. Your family might love you but they don't like you. When you find someone's wallet or purse you take all the money out before returning it. You're rude to food service employees. You've ever drunk and driven. You regularly commit small crimes like shoplifting or vandalism.

This is the sort of person that you are if you don't respect the time of people you're trading with. It's such a low bar to cross that if you don't have that tiny bit of respect, I can't imagine how you can ever respect anyone.

RobotsLoveSpectres
Dec 29, 2008
I'm the guy who tells you to come to my hideout for a trade and just keeps mapping

RobotsLoveSpectres
Dec 29, 2008
Holy gently caress dude talk about being mad at videogames

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

How about...it would take minutes for me to accurately price most rares, and most of them are worthless, so dumping them into 1c and then vendoring when they don't sell is preferable to pricing each and every one?

It's not like I actually get any rares worth anything, anyway, so this isn't a problem for me.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

Maybe this game isn’t the best thing for your mental state

ThermosAquaticus
Nov 9, 2013
Costing someone 30 seconds that they are going to spend searching for other items they want anyway: monstrous, just despicable.

Paying 1c for a 10c item because the other party hosed up: a cool, morally upstanding thing to do.

But seriously, if someone has priced 1c for something you know is more valuable, by offering 1c you are taking a high risk, high reward strategy - they probably won't agree to trade (and you know this), but if they do you save yourself 9c. You don't have to do that. You could offer 6-8c for that same item, and have a much better chance to get it.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Ak Gara posted:

Adjusting price based on demand is how economy works.

But it's meant to be after the item has sold, not before.

Wow I've sold a lot of item x, better up the price!
vs
Wow a lot of orders to fill....better cancel them all and reup the advert for more money!

Oh man I forgot the part where having an item in a public tab is a binding contract

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Pricing poo poo is easy but you could at least try, even if it's just a guess. It takes two seconds to hover over an item, see if the stats on it are desirable, and move on. If they are desirable, you might need another ten or so to press alt and read the rolls. After that you'll be left with maybe one or two items per map at most (and commonly none at all) that are worth selling, at which point you can just take a drat guess. A little bit of experience and you can take 15-20 seconds to look at an item and guess whether it's worthless or 2c or 10c or 1ex. You can still do adjustment later if it's very popular or no-one's biting after a few days.

Like, there's still no requirement to actually sell at the list price if you do discover you underpriced something. It's difficult to price something and the signs are the same if you gently caress up.

Deliberately making that fuckup and waiting for other people to help you fix it, fully in the knowledge that you'll be wasting their time is just a real lovely thing to do out of sheer laziness. And really, is repricing an item several times actually significantly faster than just jamming it's stats into poe.trade and seeing what else comes up?

J
Jun 10, 2001

Sidenote - regardless of whether or not crowdsourcing your pricing is a dick move, the past several leagues now poe.trade has been an absolute dumpster fire at league launch in terms of timely updates on listed items. And it's remained a dumpster fire for a surprisingly long length of time into the league. Ie, longer than the opening weekend zerg rush. Getting spammed for hours about something that was mispriced or sold a long time ago sucks rear end. Crowdsource at your own risk.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

dyzzy posted:

Oh man I forgot the part where having an item in a public tab is a binding contract

This is a dumb thing to say, because in most areas of life we recognize that you don't have to have a binding contract for there to be a reasonable expectation of people not being jerks, even in transactions.

For example, there are plenty of things a real-world business could do in terms of hiking prices, not honoring a price that they put on the shelf, etc. that wouldn't be worth calling a contract lawyer or even the police, but would very much be worth trying to never shop there again, and possibly taking a few seconds to give feedback to corporate or leave a bad review about how this one manager wasted my time. Which is roughly the same scale of remedy we're talking about here by bitching about these people in the thread.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

J posted:

Sidenote - regardless of whether or not crowdsourcing your pricing is a dick move, the past several leagues now poe.trade has been an absolute dumpster fire at league launch in terms of timely updates on listed items. And it's remained a dumpster fire for a surprisingly long length of time into the league. Ie, longer than the opening weekend zerg rush. Getting spammed for hours about something that was mispriced or sold a long time ago sucks rear end. Crowdsource at your own risk.

Use the good trade site then: https://www.pathofexile.com/trade . It's been better than poe.trade for a very long time.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I used the official site all of Incursion. I don't like the UI compared to poe.trade (too many submenus) but the only times I ended up trying to get an item long sold was when the entire API was lagging and there was nothing that any site could do about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RobotsLoveSpectres
Dec 29, 2008
if you use dump tabs you're a menace to society