Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

autism ZX spectrum posted:

I'm super stoked to hear that Tesla uses the CAN bus because that's always gone absolutely swimmingly for other manufacturers.

I'm confused, hasn't that been the international standard for almost 30 years, and is the basis of most modern ECU's?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
yes

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

The CAN bus is fine, and especially the modern separated circuits anyway

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

The Door Frame posted:

I'm confused, hasn't that been the international standard for almost 30 years, and is the basis of most modern ECU's?

Yeah I mean, aircraft use canbus. It's secure and reliable* and bandwidth isn't important for the applications it runs.

*unless you get a lovely terminating resistor/splice somewhere because God help you then.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
Doesn't the CAN bus not have interrupts built in and just assigns everything a priority on the same bus? I could be mixing things up but wasn't a possible Prius braking issue to do with inadequate memory sizes and as a result not running some instructions fast enough?

Are the circuits actually separated now? Last I was reading anything on CAN bus could be a possible vector for malicious code.

Luxrage
Jan 2, 2017

I have no idea what I'm doing!

The weather was nice today so everyone was out in their convertibles. I was behind a guy wringing out his 350Z when I noticed something smelling funny...

:tif:

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Luxrage posted:

The weather was nice today so everyone was out in their convertibles. I was behind a guy wringing out his 350Z when I noticed something smelling funny...

That's normal operation for a VQ over 50k miles?

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Doesn't the CAN bus not have interrupts built in and just assigns everything a priority on the same bus? I could be mixing things up but wasn't a possible Prius braking issue to do with inadequate memory sizes and as a result not running some instructions fast enough?

Are the circuits actually separated now? Last I was reading anything on CAN bus could be a possible vector for malicious code.

In the past few years the trend has been to segregate devices on discrete CAN buses and forward select data between buses as necessary at some central gateway device.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Luxrage posted:

I've noticed a fairly new Audi S4 around a few times that's lowered, on nice wheels, loud exhaust, etc. Blowing blue smoke. And the guy drives like a dipshit.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

jamal posted:

I've noticed a fairly new Audi S4 ... the guy drives like a dipshit.

Checks out.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I used to see an Audi TT RS on my way to work every morning that drove like a huge dipshit. He'd pass on the shoulder on an onramp, and every single time floor it through this two-lanes-left turn and rely on the TCS/Stability control to keep him from smacking the curb. I haven't seen him in a long time so either he wrecked it or he moved.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

DiggityDoink posted:

green POS supremacy

:wrong:

Amberpos superior, greenpos inferior

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Frinkahedron posted:

In the past few years the trend has been to segregate devices on discrete CAN buses and forward select data between buses as necessary at some central gateway device.

you mean the stereo

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Pham Nuwen posted:

you mean the stereo

... if you're Fiat. Competent OEMs use a separate module.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Weren't those Defcon hacker guys able to hack that Jeep via the entertainment system due to it talking to the can bus via the reverse camera setup?

Car security seems awful.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

The CAN bus was originally designed as a trusted network. Security was never a consideration, because they never thought that anyone would be dumb enough to connect it to the INTERNET.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
I really don't see how have multiple discrete CAN bus systems is any good if you send them all through a central point anyway. Obviously this central gateway device would be the biggest weakness and it will only be a matter of time before someone figures out how to make their malicious code take precedence over everything else.

I honestly don't understand why critical systems like braking and steering aren't either designed as entirely separate entities, as in, if you absolutely need to move away from a purely mechanical steering/braking solution the computer in charge of braking/steering doesn't communicate in any way with the CAN bus. I mean, I understand the answer is cost, but it's such a huge vulnerability.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I really don't see how have multiple discrete CAN bus systems is any good if you send them all through a central point anyway. Obviously this central gateway device would be the biggest weakness and it will only be a matter of time before someone figures out how to make their malicious code take precedence over everything else.

I honestly don't understand why critical systems like braking and steering aren't either designed as entirely separate entities, as in, if you absolutely need to move away from a purely mechanical steering/braking solution the computer in charge of braking/steering doesn't communicate in any way with the CAN bus. I mean, I understand the answer is cost, but it's such a huge vulnerability.

The thing is, with front facing radar and adaptive cruise control, not to mention lane keeping assist (aka "autopilot" in this case, not the "you're drifting from your lane" warnings), trying to sever the CAN bus from the steering, brakes, and throttle is going to be a losing battle now. Everyone wants to be lazy.

If you want to be lazy, ride a bus.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Or we can just...not connect cars to the internet? I don't see a good reason to secure cars against hacks that involve physical access to the car's electronics, whether the stereo or under the hood. At that point, anyone who wants to do me harm can just nick the brake lines. Or, y'know, just loving stab me, stuff me in the trunk, and drive to the nearest river.

I ask this non-rhetorically and non-ironically: what are we actually trying to secure against? I feel like we're discussing what pad lock to use on a screen door.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Aug 25, 2018

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
I would be okay with 2 separate CAN buses, one that is completely severed from any network and one that runs the infotainment and other junk. We're at a point where cars will be more and more connected to the internet. Chevy just had an ad where it shows Alexa/Siri opening the car doors. Why? Who knows.

What are we securing against?

Malicious code, probably, but bad manufacturing definitely. Instead of another key fiasco where a physical component causes accidents because no one took the time to think that people have keychains, we're opening up cars to have faults that you can't possibly test against. It's going to be something stupid like someone using up the available memory by having the car on too long and inadvertently causing some process to crash or freeze but since it was never really possible for it to crash there's not going to be an error message and whoops now the brakes don't work.

Or just one of those ransomware attacks.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I would be okay with 2 separate CAN buses, one that is completely severed from any network and one that runs the infotainment and other junk. We're at a point where cars will be more and more connected to the internet. Chevy just had an ad where it shows Alexa/Siri opening the car doors. Why? Who knows.

What are we securing against?

Malicious code, probably, but bad manufacturing definitely. Instead of another key fiasco where a physical component causes accidents because no one took the time to think that people have keychains, we're opening up cars to have faults that you can't possibly test against. It's going to be something stupid like someone using up the available memory by having the car on too long and inadvertently causing some process to crash or freeze but since it was never really possible for it to crash there's not going to be an error message and whoops now the brakes don't work.

Or just one of those ransomware attacks.

Envisioning a heist where a hacker in the getaway car causes the doors in all the cars around theirs to open on the freeway while going 90 mph with police in pursuit. That would be a pretty cool (and gory) movie scene somehow.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
Oh gently caress that brings up another possible vector/motive to defend against. Remember back in early remote garage door opener days when thieves would just build a circuit that ran through all possible code combinations?

Like that, but with your car doors and the internet.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Oh gently caress that brings up another possible vector/motive to defend against. Remember back in early remote garage door opener days when thieves would just build a circuit that ran through all possible code combinations?

Like that, but with your car doors and the internet.

Already been done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bR8RrmEizVg

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

STR posted:

They've been doing it since 2010 or so, and still do it.

indeed terrible car stuff

and ends up just being another annoying variable to consider when driving in busy cities

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

MRC48B posted:

The CAN bus was originally designed as a trusted network. Security was never a consideration, because they never thought that anyone would be dumb enough to connect it to the INTERNET.

The same is true about the internet.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I went around a corner pretty hot and heard metal rolling against pavement, and assumed i lost a hubcap. On the return trip, i spotted the culprit so i leaned out and grabbed it.

Based on the internal wear, i'm assuming it's from a tire shop. Still, how would you like to get that fucker pitched up at your windshield by a passing truck.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I ask this non-rhetorically and non-ironically: what are we actually trying to secure against?
Cylons.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

STR posted:

They've been doing it since 2010 or so, and still do it.

I. loving. Hate. This.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
I guess I really do need to sit down and write that automotive cybersecurity thing. Re: CAN, these days cars are adding other, more secure networks like automotive Ethernet, flexray, and so on, as well as things like gateways with firewalls, anomaly detection, authenticated traffic, and so on. There’s a whole raft of automotive security firms working with tier 1s and OEMs, and the industry as a whole is taking the issue a lot more seriously than even two or three years ago.

The goon who worked for Tesla has evidently been out of Tesla long enough for his NDA to expire so his work there probably predates all this seachange.

I’ve talked to a lot of people in the last couple of years and while the attack surfaces are growing, very few people can point to actual credible threats. Malicious actors are going to make more money ransomwaring a hospital or utility than they are a bunch of individual cars in the hope each owner pays them a bitcoin or something.

And whether you think the connected car is a dumb idea or not, get used to it. The prospect of monetizing your data has everyone salivating to the point that it’s going to happen if you like it or not. The profit margins for building new cars is tiny compared to the profit margins the OEMs are looking at for leveraging your data.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
tesla bad, touchscreens in cars should be illegal, connecting a car to the internet should be illegal, anything more than an RTOS running on a 32-bit or preferably 8-bit microcontroller should be illegal if it's electrically connected to any critical or mechanical system

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Aug 26, 2018

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

atomicthumbs posted:

tesla bad, touchscreens in cars should be illegal, connecting a car to the internet should be illegal,

Yes

quote:

anything more than an RTOS running on a 32-bit or preferably 8-bit microcontroller should be illegal if it's electrically connected to any critical or mechanical system

No

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Old_man_yells_at_cloud.txt

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

The Door Frame posted:

Old_man_yells_at_cloud.txt

code:
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII78OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII78OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
IIII??IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII8OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII?IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII8OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII?IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII78OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII?IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII??IIIIIIIIIIIII78OOOOOO88888D8O8OZI?$8OOOOOOOOOOOOO
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII?IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII??788DDD8OO$77?+=====+++8OOOOOOOOOOOOO
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII?IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII?????II777ZOOOOOZZ$?+~===================788OOOOOOOOOOO
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII?III??????????I?II?III777$7$$$ZZOOOOZ$7??+++====+=++==+=============+?+I?+===78OOOOOOOOOOO
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII7$$OOOZZ$$$$7I????????++++==================+===+=+===+++$$?O=+=8DDI=87?N+IZ+N?+=8OOOOOOOOOOO
7I$$$$ZOOOZZ$7III???++===========+==========================++?=+?Z$====78$=D88$=+7M$==8I++D+=N$?8=87+D+I8++$8OOOOOOOOOO
77?====++===+============+=======+==+===+=+?7+==ZZ+7O7D8Z?D7+I8+=$O++===?OD+=+8=++7N7+=$OI+8?+ZM=D?78?$$=8++=DOOOOOOOOOO
7IO=============+=+=+======7$$=OO+++ZO++O8$=OI=+=$O$7=8I++DO+=D+=+8Z+==++NI8++O7++=7D==?NZ=+8+$N?$ZINO+ND$++=8OOOOOOOOOO
7I$+==+=?I===I$?==7O8O+===+788I7$7+=OZZ=?OOI$$====8O7+OZD?ZN++Z7===OD+++?D+N++$Z+===8OI+88O$INZO+=ZZ7++?+=+==$OOOOOOOOOO
7IIZ===8Z?8N?+DI=+?O++DO+==+DIO7?D+=Z?D?=I$Z?8====+NI+?D=+I8?=?O==?~O$=+?N??N$+M+====+?+++==+================+8OOOOOOOOO
7I?Z?=+$?++$D+$Z=++Z7=7OI=+=DZI$IO7=Z7?8==O+ZO7====OZ+=DOD+IMD7D8OIZ7+==+=+=~~=~==============================ZOOOOOOOOO
7IIIZI=7+==?D7?D=+=7Z?I$7===$O+ZI?OI7O+88+NI=DO?=+=?I?=+~=======+=+====~=+====================================+8OOOOOOOO
7IIIOZ=Z$?=+DI=D7?7+O7DO+===Z8?IZ=$7I++=~=~=====+===+=========+=======++?=====================================+8OOOOOOOO
7IIIIZI=78DDZ+=Z$$$+?+=====+==+====================~====++?I7$OO88OO$777I7=+========================7?====I7+==7DD88OOOO
7IIIIIZ=+===============+=====~~===~~=++??7ZZOOOOOOZZ$$$7IIII??III?II?III7=====II$I==Z=+$7$I$ZI$IZZD++OI87?7$==?$I7DDOOO
7IIIII8====++=++=========++???I7$$ZZZOOOZ$7III??I?????????IIIIIIIIIII????II===+=$+=$$7+77I+I~7+I$$7I+=O+=+=====+Z7??ODOO
7IIIIII$++?+?I7$ZOOOOZ$777II???IIIII??IIIIIIII???I?I??II?IIII?IIIIII?II??IZ=+===$=I?++=$$?+===+======+~=+======+$Z?I??Z8
7IIIIIIO++$$II???I????III$7I77$7IIII???????????III??I??IIIIIII???III?II?II7I====+++==++==~=+=~=+==+?~I?=+?ZOI7=+IZIIIIII
7IIIIIIZI+?ZIII?IIIIIIII$=::::::$7II????????????II?III??????II8ZI7ZO7IIIIIIZ++=+=?+?$??=7Z777$I?=$$DZZ=87+$Z=7=++$7IIIII
7IIIIII?O==?$I??IIIII?IIZ~,:~::::$7$7I??????????II?IIII??IIIIIDZZO$87IIIII?$====+ZZZ?I7I?7I?=?==?~====+==+======+IZIIIII
7IIIIIIIO=++ZIII??I7$7ZZ~:~:::::::::,77I??IIIIIIIIIIIIIII?III$OIO7IOZ88$IIII7++=++==+=+~====++===??===++?II+?I?++=ZIIIII
7IIIIIII$I++7IIIZ7??++==::::::::~:::~~~++IZ??I??I??????IIIII7DIII?I7I7OIIII?ZI+===+7??77??I+$$?O?7I?8O7$7~7Z?++=+=ZIIIII
7IIIIIIII$++?7II?III777$7?77777$Z$$$$7$777I??????IIIIIIIIIZO8OIIIIIIIO$7IIII$$==?==7Z7?I++OOI=+I?I+I====~++++=====I7IIII
$IIIIIII?Z++=ZIIIII???II??II??III??I?III?????????IIIIII7O7IIIIIIIIIIII$OOIIIIZ+==+=II+===~===+=====++?===???++====+Z?III
7IIIIIIII$?==IIIIIII?????IIIII????II??I??II??IIIIII$ZOO7II?IIIIIIIII78$II?III7?======++==?I7Z?II$+=?OI=Z????=?Z====ZIIII
7IIIIIIII7Z+++7IIIIII?IIIIIIIIIIII???II?IIII???I?8Z$$IIIIII??$7IIII$ZIIIIIIIIIZ+====$Z87$++ZI?$=?=+=++?=++==+?~=~=+77III
$IIIIIIIIIZ7+=7IIIII???IIIIIIIIIIII?IIIIIIII??$O$$7IIIIIII$$Z7?III?I8IIIII??IIZ++====~======+===+=+===?=====+?=7+==?ZIII
$IIIIIIIII$Z==?III?III?II7$7II$7IIIII?IIIIIIII8$ZZI?I$?II77$$?IIZZZ78IIIIIIIII$?+======7OIZ=$I??+$II7?=7I=OO=OZI7==+OIII
$IIIIIIIIIIZ+++$IIIIIIIZZIIIO8?I87IIII?II??IIZZ=~:?ZO87I??I??IIIOIIIDIIII?IIIII7====+=OO+=$O7$ZI7+??I+?7??+?=Z=====+ZII?
$IIIIIIIIII$I+=$IIIIII8D?7III7OI$ZIIIIIIIII?IO7+::=~IZIZ$ZZZ$IIIZIII8IIIIIIIIII$==~=+=+7==++=+$++7==~=++==++==+=+==?$III
$IIIIIIIIIII$+=7II?IZZII7$$III$7787IIIIIIIII?8I7I:~=M8::::::+ZI7Z??$$7IIIIIIII?Z========???========~?+++7???+IZ7=?O+$III
$IIIIIIIIIIIO==?7IIIDIIII??$ZZ7II787IIII??IIZ7O$ZZ7Z~,::::::~O?$7IZO7IIIIIIIIIIZ+=====$$I+~==I78ZO8O$?IOZ?+II+I+===+7$II
$IIIIIIIIIIIZ++=ZIII8?7$$III8OIIII8ZIIIIIII87I?III??Z8?I7::~=$??$$IOIIIIIIIIIII$?+====I77?I+?=+===~===+======+======?Z?I
$IIIIIIIIIII7I=+$$I?OIZZII$ZII7$7787IIIIII$$IIII?IIIOIZ=~Z77OZZZII787IIIIIIIIIIII+===+=+?I?=+==========++?????I7?=I=?Z?I
$IIIIIIIIIIIIZ==?$?IZ$IIII?7$OIIIDIIII?III7OZ7777$OO8O~=7Z77?I??$ZZ$$IIIIIIIIIII$==++=++I?Z$O7$+?O77=+8IO$$?+7+I+?I+?$??
$IIIIIIIIIIIIO=+=7II7OIIIIIIO7I?8$IIII7ZOOZ87$77777$77$8IIIIIII7Z7IZ7IIIIIIIIIIIO=====+ZI7$=?7I++==+=+=~=~========?788$$
$IIIIIIIIIIIIO++=?7IZO$7IIZZ?IZO87IIII8777777777$Z$77$7ZZIIII?II7O7DIIIIIIIIII?IO+====+?==+==+++==++===+=+==+?7Z88O$I?II
$IIIIIIIIIIIIZ++=+$IZ???I777$7??IZIIII$OOO7$O$$77$77777$O$IIIIII7ZZ$IIIIIIIIIIIIO+====+===+=I+=I+=IZ8D888OZ$7III??IIIIII
$IIIIIIIIIIII$I++=ZI77+?+++++++++ZIII???IIZOO8ZZDZOZO$ZO7$8$IIIII?ZOIIIIIIIIII?IZ++==+?IZ$I$IO??8ZI??????IIIIIIIIIIIIIII
$IIIIIIIIIIII77+==ZIIO?+++++++++?IZIIIIIIIIIII$$$ZZDZOMMMN77O?7IZZZID7IIIIIIIIIIZ?+===+I7I?=??DZIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
$IIIIIIIIIIII7Z=+=ZII$7?++++++?+?+ZOIIII???III?IIIII8$MMMMNO7O?IIIII$ZII?IIIIIII7I+==+==++=++D?IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
$IIIIIIIIIIIIIO===77?I8$?++++++++++7$IIIII????I??III$88MMMMM787II7$I7OII?IIIIIII7I=====?I$7$8$IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
$IIIIIIIIIIIIIO=+=?7II$8++++++++???=8?IIII?IIIII?IIIIOZMMMMM8$8III$7Z8II?IIIIIII7I=====7$I7?OIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
$IIIIIIIIIIIII8===?$III$7+++++??????7$IIIII???IIIII7IOZMMMDD878III78OIO$I?IIII?I$?=====~==++OIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
$IIIIIIIIIIIII8===+ZIIIIO+???+??++???8$7IIIIIIII?I8Z77ZNMNO8878?$7O$??DZI?IIII?I$?=========+8$IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
$IIIIIIIIIIIII8=++=ZIIII7$+??++??+?$?IZ$$OZZ$III??Z8$777IZ8O7$OI8ZZ?+8++7D7IIIII$?+====I8OOI78III??IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
$IIIIIIIIIIIIIO++==ZIII?IZI?????++++++++??++++I77$ZZDN7777$$$ZOO++?+O+?+?+?DI?IIZ++++=======+I8IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
$IIIIIIIIIIIIIO+=+=ZIIIIII8?++?++??????+++++????+??8I?ZOD77$78+???IO+?+??+++Z8IIO+++===?====+?ZD$?IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII?I7
ZIIIIIIIIIIIIIO?++=OIIIIIII8+++++?++++++????++++??77??O:~=ZD+?I+7O7?+??????+?+O78=+=========+I$+?88$???IIIIIIIIII??7ZO7?
ZIIIIIIIIIIIIIZ?++=ZIIIIIIIIOZ+?+?????++++++++++++I$8$O=,+OZ?+$O?+??????+?++++=8O==========++=====~+7ZDD88ZZ$ZOO8OZII?II
$IIIIIIIIIIIII$I=+=ZIIIIII?I7OI+?+???++++++++++++?+IO+ZZOZ?78O$+I+++++II$ZO8DDNDD+========++??=====+===+7$$$7I??7?IIIIII
ZIIIIIIIIIIIII$7==+ZIIIIIIIIII$Z+?++???++++????+?++I?+++I?77$ZD8OOZ$I?++======++=======+=$$=Z7?ZO$8=?IOO=$$ZOI77ZIIIIIII
ZIIIIIIIIIIIII$7===ZIIIIIIIIII?IZI??+++++???I$ZZ888D88Z7++~~===========================+=I+7I+===+=+===~===+=?==8$IIIIII
ZIIIIIIIIIIIII7$++=?$ZOOO8888888OO88OZ$I??++=========+============+========+===+=======+=+=====+==+==~7===++Z?$$Z8?I?III
ZIIIIIIIIIIIIIIO=+=+============+===+++++==+=====================++++===++===?+I?+======O7$?==$$=++ZIO~$+O++OO=Z+7$IIIII
$IIIIIIIIIIIIIIO=+============================+=======7======++++I=I+7OZ?I$=O$?+?+======ZZ8Z7$77I7+????++$===+?==+8IIIII
7IIIIIIIIIIIIIIO=+============+=+==+====+===+8=?$?77?I?$?Z$I?$?=I?$$I$$II=+7+?+=+===+=++==+=+?+++=+=====~===+=+=+?7ZIIII
IIIIIIIIIIIIII?8=+=========I$7=7=7?=?7+$+7$=+?I==7?=O8ZIIOZI7OI++I++++=+====+===?+==+=+====+=+++=?Z+I=7+$+$$7Z?ZZ$=8?III
IIIIIIIIIIIIII?O=+========++++?+I+7?++++7++=$=ZO7$+?+==~==+==+=+====+==+====+I+?=II?=+=++77Z+IIZ+Z$8+IO?7=I$?7??++++O?II
IIIIIIIIIIIIIII8++=========7$$=$=$?+?=+=++=+====+========II$I=~=++?==$$I7ZZ+?++$=O+=++++=+++++==+=?=++I?====+====+=+?8?I
IIIIIIIIIIIIIII8++===+==+=+===+==+=====+++===++?=IO==+7Z?Z+=?I7+++~++$?=$$$?7??++Z$I==+======+++++OOOOOZ77777II????++=88
IIIIIIIIIIIIIII8+=================$$+=+?Z$+$O7+77====+I$I7+??+7?$7ZI++++++=++=====ZDNNMNNNNDDDDDD8D7?????????IIIIIII77$7
IIIIIIIIIIIIIII8+++=+++++=?7=?+=O++=77ZOZZZOO88O8DDDDD8D8DD8O8OOZZ$$$777I777$$ZZOOOZD88888NIIII?IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII?
IIIIIIIIIIIIIII877ZZZO88DDN8DD88OO$$7IIIII??IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII7IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII8OOOO8ODIII?IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
IIIIIIIIIIIIIII7Z$$777III?III??IIII7IIIIIIIIIIIIII????I??II?????I?III?IIIIII77777$$$NO8OO88D$I?IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
IIII??IIIIIIIII7777777$$$ZZZ$$ZZZOOOOOO8O8OOOOOOOOOOOOOOZZZZZZ$$Z$7$777777IIIIIIIIII88DD88OODOIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
$$$$7777IIIIIIIIIIIII?IIIIII????IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII8OOOO8DD88D8?IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDO88OOOOO8DNNII?IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDO88OOOOOOOOONO?IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDO88OOOOOOOO88ONZIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDO8OOOOOOOOOOOOO88DIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDO8OOOOOOOOO8OOO888DIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

The Door Frame posted:

Old_man_yells_at_The_Cloud.txt

FTFY

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

atomicthumbs posted:

tesla bad, touchscreens in cars should be illegal, connecting a car to the internet should be illegal, anything more than an RTOS running on a 32-bit or preferably 8-bit microcontroller should be illegal if it's electrically connected to any critical or mechanical system

unironically agree

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Cars and anything else that might kill someone if it stopped working (power grids, medical equipment, pipelines, military hardware) should basically be designed as if we were fighting the Cylons. It's true that disaster planners now often imagine a zombie apocalypse to get themselves in the right headspace. Systems engineers should imagine Cylons.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Aug 26, 2018

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

At that point, you're better off running an airless tire.

Not to mention that inertia is a bitch and hates huge wheels like that.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I wouldn't trust that wheel/tire to be gently rolled off a trailer onto a perfectly smooth carpet tiled convention center floor!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

But seriously, if you ever want a demonstration of why tires for racing generally have thick sidewalls, watch open wheel racing. It's much more obvious on those cars than closed wheel:
https://i.imgur.com/quz6RhK.mp4

They act as part of the suspension.