Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

IcePhoenix posted:

what is a go-tcha

I googled it but all I really found was places selling it

Third party pokemon go plus that looks more like a fitness tracker than a video game beacon, with a rechargable battery and automated button pressing functionality (that you can toggle on/off).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Just opened my game and have a new raid pass. I already have a raid for tomorrow so it's kinda cool to get a second one? It's like Niantic is just dropping Mewtwos on my doorstep. The active raiding community here is only like 20 people but drat they are hardcore about it. Gonna cruise for Ho Ohs after the EX raid tomorrow. Didn't do any Pokemon hunting today. I just drank beers.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

IcePhoenix posted:

what is a go-tcha

I googled it but all I really found was places selling it

A wristband that looks like a fitbit. It's an unofficial version of the Go+ and is functionally similar except for it works automatically and doesn't require a button press or any user interaction .

It connects to the game and catches nearby pokemon automatically. It also spins stops for you. I activate mine whenever I'm driving so that I can have a constantly replenished item bag any time I go out. It also catches all of the trash pokemon for you to provide extra dust.

It may seem weird to automate the game, but it mostly gets used at times when you wouldn't be playing anyway. My gotcha supplements gameplay rather than replacing it.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Neat, thanks. $50 feels like a bit much though.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

My wife made fun of me for catching every Sunkern I saw when I got back in the game but who has 300 Sunkern candy now!? The ultimate irony is I have a sun stone but I sent all my sunkerns to the grinder and don't have one to evolve. I gotta hardcore hunt/raid tomorrow.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

Can I get some kind goons to add me so I can get this Celebi quest done?

E: got 3 new buddies but you can keep adding me if you want

Centzon Totochtin fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Aug 25, 2018

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

IcePhoenix posted:

It's absolutely worth it if you like to run or bike. I have hatched so many eggs by turning it on, pocketing my phone, and just grinding out laps, plus it catches and spins so if you do your exercise somewhere with stops you come back to a full bag.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:

IcePhoenix posted:

You can get a go plus for $22 shipped from aliexpress, then solder it yourself to be automated like a gotcha. It takes like 5 minutes, unless you want to wire in a switch or something else fancy. If it ends up not being for you, there's probably a dozen people in your area who would buy it off you for what you paid (or more).

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Observing this filth unsettles me

IcePhoenix posted:

If you play with any kind of frequency it's worth it. The stardust grind is great(I went from being almost out of stardust to over a million pretty quickly), it's caught multiple shinies, and most importantly, for me, it tracks egg distance when the app isn't up. I walk 3+ miles to work and back every day and it hatches eggs like no one's business while I read fb/news/forums. This is especially handy for the celebi quest.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

It seems to be more forgiving on speed for hatching too, but that could be all in my head

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
how does the gotcha get extra stardust?

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

bowmore posted:

It doesn't; it's just the fact that you're auto-catching a bunch of stuff when you otherwise wouldn't be playing, and that earns you dust.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

bowmore posted:

It doesn't get "extra" so much as it farms while you do anything else on your phone. Or while you sleep or drive or whatever. Catching poo poo you wouldn't catch because you aren't playing otherwise.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Oh ok, cheers

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Re friend codes and that stupid quest:

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

I'm very lucky to live in an area with an incredibly well-organized Discord channel. There was a raid train this morning so I hopped on and caught 6/8 Ho-Oh, including this guy:

I've got a new-ish account so it's been a bummer to have mostly Regi- raids the past few months. Activity is way down overall so I've been lacking in TMs and rare candy, but today brought a big group out and I was finally able to build up a decent stash.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
Does anyone want a modded Go+? It's got permanent auto-catch and a rechargable battery. The battery makes it twice as fat as the standard Go+, but it recharges or works while charging when connected to a Micro USB cable. GP2BF hosed up the soldering and took out one of the surface mount resistors, so it only flashes green/blue/purple, but the standard functionality works fine, including auto-catch.

I traded up to a Gotcha because I like the form factor. It hangs from the bling-hanger on my iPhone case, so it's always in contact with the phone.

Anyway, I need to reassemble the modded Go+ and make sure it still works, but if someone wants to make an offer, PM me.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Today was a good day, got out with my daughter in the stroller and rocked the Nashville special spawns (well didn't get an "A" unown but got the others), traded for my first Charizard, caught my first Ho-Oh, hit up an Onix nest to get enough to evolve two Steelix whereas previous I only have one Onix ever. Caught enough trash to cover the trade stardust cost, got a bunch of gifts to give out. Oh and got like 4 Corsolas now.

Pandanaut
May 26, 2007

goin to the fuckin moon
I went to Gamestop and picked up a Gotcha, and within a short drive it already got me a ton of stardust.

Went to another Ho-Oh raid and walked away with a shiny. It’s amazing seeing so many people turnout for these raids after the ghost towns that have been the Regis.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I walk a lot at work, so maybe I should get a Go-Tcha and just keep it in my pocket while I'm working...

Of course, that requires me to leave the game running, so battery...

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Meatwave posted:

You can get a go plus for $22 shipped from aliexpress, then solder it yourself to be automated like a gotcha. It takes like 5 minutes, unless you want to wire in a switch or something else fancy. If it ends up not being for you, there's probably a dozen people in your area who would buy it off you for what you paid (or more).

Ah yes let me just bust out my soldering kit that I definitely already own :rolleyes:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

IcePhoenix posted:

Ah yes let me just bust out my soldering kit that I definitely already own :rolleyes:

You don’t understand, it could save you tens and tens of dollars!

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I love EX raid drama. I wasn't at the actual raid but Discord blew up. The usual rule is that Discord starts 15 after hatch, to give people time to get there, so if you confirm in Discord, you wait the 15 minutes. If no one confirms, you go in whenever. So the group was setting up, a few other people not in Discord showed, and the wife of a dude in Discord lost her poo poo and started screaming because she was hungry and this was taking forever and he needed to raid RIGHT NOW. So he jumped in with the rest of the non-Discords, who were counting on him, so when they showed up and were short two accounts...

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
Reading about Pokémon go meltdowns is unironically my fetish, thank you.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Oh then get the lotion, I got another for you!

The weekend before the Eevee event was, what, Registeel? A legendary raid popped at a local park, and a group forms, some Discord, some not, but no one set a start time (this is important). So some idiot decides for us all to jump in, only for people to realize we have 25 people. Okay, split the groups! I call valor, another calls instinct, and then people start jumping back in the raid without actually splitting up. Nice move, ace, they just wanted to lose a few people to get the rest of their friends in.

Now we have about 4 people out (a few people left), and a Discord girl asks for some of the Discord people to jump out of the 20 man raid to help us, but they ignore us. Okay, fine, we got lucky because more people came, but the best part was after the first group was done, two goon stereotypes wandered over to our group and started asking where we were going for Eevee day because they were looking for a group to play with. They didn't get that we were ignoring them until someone finally told them to gently caress off, you couldn't be bothered to raid with us and now you want to play period? And asking if we had regionals to trade? gently caress the gently caress off and go play with....oh the rest of your 18 man group left you.

Even better was the fact that some of the Discord guys who stayed in the big group had been begging for friend requests for regional trading or for shinies, and later in Discord were puzzled at the fact that all their trades were now off.

Pandanaut
May 26, 2007

goin to the fuckin moon
My first ex raid was pretty chill. One guy brought purple cupcakes and everyone was super nice. Granted half of the 20 people were over the age of 50.

It was a little weird since it was pretty clear it was a grandma squad running their neighborhood’s stops asking about how the grandkids were. But I would take that over Discord drama.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
There's a woman in my raid chat that drives me insane. Literally every morning begs someone to give her a shiny. Someone asked her why she wanted it today and she just said "because I want shinies! UGH" She constantly talks about how miserable her life is, and has begged for money to buy stuff in game. She shows up to raids and gets mad when no one else is there (because she never bothered to arrange a raid group). Other times she's asked people to show up, people say "Sure give me 10 minutes to drive there" then she says "forget it" and bails on committed people. Somehow I haven't met her irl because our raid group covers 2 parts of town and I always stayed on the south side when she was in the north.

I think the crown jewel was her asking people to hurry up because her mom was mad she was out raiding.

DaStampede
Feb 8, 2018

Report her to your mods. They can warn her about her behavior. Hopefully, it will improve. If not, report her again.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

DaStampede posted:

Report her to your mods. They can warn her about her behavior. Hopefully, it will improve. If not, report her again.

The mod(s) are really nice to her. I think she's on the spectrum based on her behavior which might be why. If that's the reason it's understandable, but didn't make it easier to deal with her.

DaStampede
Feb 8, 2018

You might be screwed. We have one like that here too.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Pulled a 91% MewTwo from the Ex today. Feels good man.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

I'm already on the goon friend list, but I need another three people for that quest. Feel free to add me if you haven't already.

4844 5751 8182

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

If there are any kind goons who want to help out with the Celebi quest, my trainer code is 3018 3933 3454. I'm near Austin, TX, US if distance for gifts matters to you- I'll try to send out gifts when I can, though I can't promise it'll be daily.

e: Hooray, I have friends! If you want to still add me go ahead, but now you don't have to do it out of pity.

aniviron fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Aug 26, 2018

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

seiferguy posted:

The mod(s) are really nice to her. I think she's on the spectrum based on her behavior which might be why. If that's the reason it's understandable, but didn't make it easier to deal with her.

do they otherwise moderate or are they just people with fancy name colors in discord who are conflict-avoidant nerds and therefore don't do poo poo :v:

because if they actually moderate, you could just try to lay out a nonconfrontational position like 'look i don't want them to leave but when [person] does [x] the consequence for the rest of us is [y], could you ask [person] to chill out on that' and if they don't go for it, whatever

also your raid chat sounds far more interesting than mine, which is dead because of Regi-whocares trio being poo poo. Only the other day did it pick up... for some reason...

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

BGrifter posted:

You don’t understand, it could save you tens and tens of dollars!

The funny thing is if you factor in the cost of the kit I'm better off just buying one normally from like gamestop or something

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Psion posted:

do they otherwise moderate or are they just people with fancy name colors in discord who are conflict-avoidant nerds and therefore don't do poo poo :v:

because if they actually moderate, you could just try to lay out a nonconfrontational position like 'look i don't want them to leave but when [person] does [x] the consequence for the rest of us is [y], could you ask [person] to chill out on that' and if they don't go for it, whatever

also your raid chat sounds far more interesting than mine, which is dead because of Regi-whocares trio being poo poo. Only the other day did it pick up... for some reason...

The only moderation I ever saw from them was when I was complaining about multi account people taking over gyms, I was told to stop it. It's because the main person who pulls that poo poo in our area is a friend of the main moderator. The chat is run by middle aged housewives which is probably the worst demographic to run a group.

When we aren't posting about raids it's mostly people posting their shinies.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
My wife's on an iPhone and gets nonstop crashes trying to load the game, what a bummer

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
Apparently if you delete and reinstall the app completely it won't crash anymore, however I've just stuck with the previous version and hope they don't force the lovely one

DaStampede
Feb 8, 2018

Liquid Communism posted:

Pulled a 91% MewTwo from the Ex today. Feels good man.

Wow, congrats. That's a solid one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro
Is it worth upgrading to the Go-Tcha if I already have a GO+? I actually kinda like pushing the button, but more automatic efficiency sounds good.

• Locked thread