Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Smirr posted:

At some point, I'm gonna need an explainer on why Sweden, Greece and Finland are such non-entities in road cycling. I guess the Greeks can't afford bikes and the Finns are busy driving rally cars into trees, but what's Sweden's excuse? Especially relative to Denmark and Norway (who have (had) a bunch of famous riders to drive youth recruitment, I guess, but that would also have been an option for Sweden).

I'll have you know Gösta Petterson won the Giro in 71. Also yeah no one cares about the sport so the talented kids go for skiing or orienteering I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009
There's not much of a cycling culture in Finland to start with. As an example there's not a single indoor velodrome in the country and no interest in building one. Also the season for road cycling is something like 5-6 months. Maybe with Lotta Lepistö's success people will get more into it.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Kwiatkowski's gonna win the Vuelta.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Maybe, but he certainly won't win this stage. drat, Dennis :prepop:

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

serious gaylord posted:

Unless moviestar actually pick a leader then yep

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Andy Dufresne posted:

It looks like a group photo of the UFC flyweight division

Listed heights/weights:
Bauke Mollema - 181cm / 64kg
Fabio Aru - 183cm / 66kg
Alejandro Valverde - 178cm / 61kg
Vincenzo Nibali - 181cm / 65kg
Nairo Quintana - 167cm / 59kg
David de la Cruz - 182cm / 66kg
Rigoberto Uran - 173cm / 63kg

Healthy weights, even if you subtract 1-2kg from each of the, and especially if you consider their lean muscle. Valverde looks over his listed weight. Aru and Uran look much shorter than their listed heights.

For comparison, here's me (in the white/red) at 178cm / 63kg. I've been down to 59kg.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Aug 25, 2018

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I'm 69kg and I work very loving hard at that.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

serious gaylord posted:

I'm 69kg and I work very loving hard at that.

nice. I've been down to 69 kg before but bulked my way back up to Rohan Dennis proportions (1.82 m, 71 kg), so in my mind I could probably win a GT ITT if I wanted to. That's how it works.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die

TobinHatesYou posted:

Listed heights/weights:
Fabio Aru - 183cm / 66kg

Healthy weights, even if you subtract 1-2kg from each of the, and especially if you consider their lean muscle. Valverde looks over his listed weight. Aru and Uran look much shorter than their listed heights.

For comparison, here's me (in the white/red) at 178cm / 63kg. I've been down to 59kg.

I'd fit right in the middle of that table as well when I'm at competition weight as a marathoner. It wasn't really meant as a dig, just a comment that the sport selects for smaller sized humans.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Andy Dufresne posted:

I'd fit right in the middle of that table as well when I'm at competition weight as a marathoner. It wasn't really meant as a dig, just a comment that the sport selects for smaller sized humans.

I'd say most true GC contenders are ~182cm these days, which is a couple cm above average height. Quintana and Uran are anomalous. Weight, I mean yeah, endurance sports do a good job of reducing your BF% to the high single digits. That's not unhealthy (as someone else put it) ...it's very healthy. :)

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
No one cares how much you weigh or how short you all are. Which one of these freaks will win the Vuelta a España?

For me, it will be one of the three mutants that kept their distorted vein-riddled legs hidden under long pants in that photo (hopefully Nibali).

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

TobinHatesYou posted:

Listed heights/weights:
Fabio Aru - 183cm / 66kg

The pros look like meth users on the verge of death, and they starve themselves and have to take sleeping pills so they can go to bed on an empty stomach. When they train for a peak they dont do it in a healthy way. You only have to go back to the 90s when cyclists looked a lot more normal physique wise.

You look fine in that pic btw so its nothing personal.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

At the Tour of Germany, Tom Dumoulin just blew a tactical advantage because he didn't want to take any turns :thunk: a pattern is beginning to emerge

e: yay Politt finally won something

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
most of the Vuelta break is caught and Movistar/Sky train starts riding.

finish looks like a Valverde special

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Nibali’s crashed / dropped already lmao

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Valverde's gonna lead out Kwiatkowski

he did, but still won :eyepop:

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Didn't think he still had it in him

That's kwiat in red then

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

serious gaylord posted:

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
wtf happened today? I thought this was meant to be a lumpy stage that Sagan might win, but I just looked and half the GC contenders got blown out the race?

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Nothing happened til 25k to go then it was fast/curvy/hilly and I guess some people weren’t up to speed yet.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
I like the Vuelta because the terrain, vegetation, and weather is exactly like what I ride on at home (SoCal) but with cool narrow European roads, instead of the 4+ lane engineered monstrosities we have.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Alejandro Valverde 0:14
Bauke Mollema 0:33
Fabio Aru 0:47
Nairo Quintana 0:33
Rigoberto Uran 0:48

Vincenzo Nibali 4:44

Ritchie Porte 15:22 :wtc:

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
Why did Porte even start the race

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

peanut- posted:

wtf happened today? I thought this was meant to be a lumpy stage that Sagan might win, but I just looked and half the GC contenders got blown out the race?

Movistar and Sky decided to gently caress with everyone.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

paddyboat posted:

Alejandro Valverde 0:14
Bauke Mollema 0:33
Fabio Aru 0:47
Nairo Quintana 0:33
Rigoberto Uran 0:48

Vincenzo Nibali 4:44

Ritchie Porte 15:22 :wtc:

That’s so bad and embarrassing.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
I looked and couldn’t find out what happened to Porte. Was he just out of it, or had a crash / run over by moto?

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
No crash. Looks like Porte 1) melted in the heat and 2) still has lingering illness issues.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Same for Nibali really. Both of them shouldn't be racing but its not like their teams have anyone else.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

serious gaylord posted:

Same for Nibali really. Both of them shouldn't be racing but its not like their teams have anyone else.

or they're getting in training with an eye towards worlds...

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Aqua Blue sport are folding at the end of the season.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
It’s goin to be great when more World Tour teams fail (not just Pro Conti) and Rally brings their DiamondBacks to the TdF.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Is the Anglo cycling boom over for good now

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

And just as 3T sorted them out a not revolutionary 2x

I liked their kit colours :rip:

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

African AIDS cum posted:

Is the Anglo cycling boom over for good now

Your favorite Anglos will still be in service of sheikhs and perhaps Chinese businessmen in the foreseeable future. HTH.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

What's a good feed for the Vuelta? The stupid NBC Olympic channel doesn't start showing it until 10am.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Komet posted:

What's a good feed for the Vuelta? The stupid NBC Olympic channel doesn't start showing it until 10am.

considering the stage only starts at 1pm that's quite early no?

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

10am Eastern Standard Time. We are halfway into the first big climb and NBC doesn't begin showing the Vuelta until an hour from now. I just paid $50 for an annual subscription to their cycling streams, and it still doesn't get me a live feed.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
It did full stage ad free streams for the Tour but not the Vuelta. Kinda sucks.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

It blows cause local legend Ben King is in the breakaway on the climb and I can't even watch :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Steephill.tv for a stream?