Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

New Leaf posted:

Possibly unpopular opinion- this week's Tanis wasn't bad. I actually quite enjoyed it. It moved the plot along and added some new twists and turns.

There was like a half second where nick had emotion in his voice and it was very jarring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

theblackw0lf posted:

I'm guessing if I listened to Season 3 first it would spoil Seasons 1 and 2 if I went back to them?

You do spoil some of the tension of season 1.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
Does Tanis have a scheduled end? Like, are they going to keep pumping it out or is there a final story they are working towards?

I binged most of it in a couple weeks and this last season and a half has been exhausting in it's redundancy.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

Does Tanis have a scheduled end? Like, are they going to keep pumping it out or is there a final story they are working towards?

I binged most of it in a couple weeks and this last season and a half has been exhausting in it's redundancy.

No, they're going to drag it out further and further until they hypnotize every listener into buying mounts of Stamps.com and Bombas socks and Casper Mattresses.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

Yes, eventually they'll get bored of writing it and tell you to make your own ending.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Tanis was in us all along

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Does it make sense to listen to Magnus Archives if I am more into mystical plot rather than short stories, while also not interested in documenting all names and references?

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Sekenr posted:

Does it make sense to listen to Magnus Archives if I am more into mystical plot rather than short stories, while also not interested in documenting all names and references?

The individual stories are the bulk of the show. The Metaplot doesn't really become a focus until a good number of episodes in. Reappearing characters are usually distinctive enough that you can keep them straight without taking notes.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Sekenr posted:

You could probably skip like, the first thirty episodes if you wanted to get straight to the meta plot, but some of those first thirty are their absolute best. I'd just go through it if I were you.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Yeah if you're listening to more than one a day, you're going to catch up eventually. Just savor it.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Holy poo poo Archive 81 has been killing it this season. That last episode was so good.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Arrhythmia posted:

Holy poo poo Archive 81 has been killing it this season. That last episode was so good.

Love me Static Man. He seems so chill.

The line from the phone booth was frightening though, "there are no gods just people".

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I just caught up and finished the finale. It's honestly hard to believe that it went from pretty okay found footage season 1 to this

Edit: Listening to the QA right now and Christen says part of why she loves voice acting is because anyone can do it and be anything. She must have missed the shitfit when Carlos was voiced by Joseph in that one episode. How dare he voice a man named Carlos who lives in the desert? Carlos is clearly a hispanic :colbert:

Len fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Aug 22, 2018

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Giving minority and marginalized actors opportunities is a good thing.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

DoctorWhat posted:

Giving minority and marginalized actors opportunities is a good thing.

Ya know what? I typed a bunch of words that were rendered pointless by looking up how to spell Dylan's name. I must have missed/forgot the part where they clearly described him as a dark skinned guy. So once again in this thread I come off looking like an rear end in a top hat.

Edit: like it was a voice and they did it last minute iirc. I just didn't see why it was a big deal

Len fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Aug 25, 2018

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
drat was the latest episode of Eskew good. Poor Kenneth, he may have been a jag-off, but he didn't deserve to get I Have No Mouth and I Must Screamed.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Arrhythmia posted:

drat was the latest episode of Eskew good. Poor Kenneth, he may have been a jag-off, but he didn't deserve to get I Have No Mouth and I Must Screamed.

Eskew is so good. What was even more chikking is that the city did it for David as a favor and got more punishing Kenneth as a bonus.

I know the Eskew guy reads this thread so I just wanna tell him that the tunnel with Kenneth really reminds me of how the final end happens in The Sick Land. Creeped me out so good.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

HIJK posted:

Eskew is so good. What was even more chikking is that the city did it for David as a favor and got more punishing Kenneth as a bonus.

I know the Eskew guy reads this thread so I just wanna tell him that the tunnel with Kenneth really reminds me of how the final end happens in The Sick Land. Creeped me out so good.

I don't think the city did it as a favour. David did use the word bargain. I'm legit worried about what price the city is going to ask of him.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Arrhythmia posted:

I don't think the city did it as a favour. David did use the word bargain. I'm legit worried about what price the city is going to ask of him.

Favors can be called in at any time :unsmigghh:

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Lmao at how inconsistent ars paradoxica can be. Release a minisode entirely about Sally convincing her colleagues how cool and rad swearing is and then she spends the third season saying "hecka".

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
Okay Arrhythmia you've convinced me to check out Eskew. You have good taste in podcasts. I will report back.

Also I re-listened to all of Archive 81 before I listened to episode 6 of the new season, and it reminded me of a lot of little details that are showing up now, especially in ep6. Like I totally forgot that The Curator sent a message to its representative by making him throw up a cassette tape back in season 2.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

vortmax posted:

Okay Arrhythmia you've convinced me to check out Eskew. You have good taste in podcasts. I will report back.

:blush: Any good podcast I've found came straight from this thread.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Eskew is pretty terrifying. My only complaint about it is that PI episodes make it seem like it's another dimension or something and you need a portal to get to Eskew. I felt it was more immersive when it appeared to be a real (albeit surreal and hosed up) place that exists in the same world as ours. Ward's blogging about it makes more sense in this context as well

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I think the idea is Eskew only allows those it wants to enter. It doesn't necessarily have to have a portal or dimensional stuff involved. It simply is only found when it wants to be.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Arrhythmia posted:

Lmao at how inconsistent ars paradoxica can be. Release a minisode entirely about Sally convincing her colleagues how cool and rad swearing is and then she spends the third season saying "hecka".

Yep. That mini episode was written by the Greater Boston people and they just don’t have the voice of the characters right. Then again the producers approved it so they’re ultimately to blame.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I've been listening to Eskew while I take really long trips through very vast and empty regions of the galaxy in Elite: Dangerous and it's oddly a very very good mix of two very different things. I should catch up on the latest episode.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
What was the loving point of ars paradoxica. Jfc what a meandering piece of nonsense.

E: the numbers stations were cool tho

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Arrhythmia posted:

What was the loving point of ars paradoxica. Jfc what a meandering piece of nonsense.

E: the numbers stations were cool tho

To teach you it's ok to drop a podcast after season 1.

And instantly if they spend an entire episode talking about being triggered by Trump's election.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Hughlander posted:

To teach you it's ok to drop a podcast after season 1.

And instantly if they spend an entire episode talking about being triggered by Trump's election.

They spent so much time having ideas and then just referring to them. Like all these characters want to have these big arguments about how to use time travel for good or evil, but the most time travel ever seems to get used for is half a dozen people playing occupational grab rear end and loving up one little girl. Like, it takes until the second last episode before someone gets the idea to send medicine back in time? And then they have the gall to call the drat thing a tragedy? gently caress!

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Jumping on the Eskew train, it's really well done and loving eerie in a way Magnus archives doesn't manage to hit. Sometimes it's just a jarring sentence like with his one night stands but it really works for me.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Sloth Life posted:

Jumping on the Eskew train, it's really well done and loving eerie in a way Magnus archives doesn't manage to hit. Sometimes it's just a jarring sentence like with his one night stands but it really works for me.

I lost my poo poo at "As you may have been able to tell from my tone of voice, I've started dating again." after a typically horrifically bleak monologue.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
I started listening to Alexandria Archives and I'm only a few episodes in. It's interesting so far but the audio balance is terrible. Does that improve over time?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

LongDarkNight posted:

I started listening to Alexandria Archives and I'm only a few episodes in. It's interesting so far but the audio balance is terrible. Does that improve over time?

Yes, at least I don't notice an issue any more and I listen mostly through Car stereo while commuting on a freeway.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

What do you guys think of Big Data? http://bigdata.show/

Aside from unfortunate name that makes it get lost among actual big data resources, its pretty brilliant. Basically 2 journalists got a flash drive full of recordings concerning a worldwide conspiracy to steal "the 7 keys to the internet". Basically if you start listening and are on the fence, listen till the end of chase sequence from ep 1, its hilarious, there is just something about a cop who doesn't like NERRRDS but trying to be sympathetic to the nerd having a swordfight with a key thief in Seul metro while they are both dressed in and armed with poo poo they stole from korean cosplay convention. "All these years of training... video game training finally paid off" Everything being is so ridiculous, combined with supposedly grandiose stakes, I love it.

Sekenr fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Sep 5, 2018

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Sekenr posted:

Aside from unfortunate name that makes it get lost among actual big data resources, its pretty brilliant. Basically 2 journalists got a flash drive full of recordings concerning a worldwide conspiracy to steal "the 7 keys to the internet". Basically if you start listening and are on the fence, listen till the end of chase sequence from ep 1, its hilarious, there is just something about a cop who doesn't like NERRRDS but trying to be sympathetic to the nerd having a swordfight with a key thief in Seul metro while they are both dressed in and armed with poo poo they stole from korean cosplay convention. "All these years of training... video game training finally paid off" Everything being is so ridiculous, combined with supposedly grandiose stakes, I love it.

I had a love hate relationship with it but in the end it was better than a lot of other limited run audio dramas. They had some in going poo poo in Little Data to hold you over to season 2 but it’s been a year since the feed went dark.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

Sekenr posted:

I got through it, and it was okay. I thought the overall plot and structure were interesting, but the voice acting was just atrocious in parts. I found the end of episode one to be especially bad, just a bunch of screaming into microphones and poorly structured nonsense that dragged on for an interminable period. It felt like everyone had energy dials that could only be at 3 or 10, with no room for nuance in between.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Meinberg posted:

I got through it, and it was okay. I thought the overall plot and structure were interesting, but the voice acting was just atrocious in parts. I found the end of episode one to be especially bad, just a bunch of screaming into microphones and poorly structured nonsense that dragged on for an interminable period. It felt like everyone had energy dials that could only be at 3 or 10, with no room for nuance in between.

Eh, sadly, it was my favourite part never to be repeated again. Music and magic was pretty nice but not really what I wanted or expected.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Goddamn Eskew is weird as hell. I love it.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

Ornamented Death posted:

Goddamn Eskew is weird as hell. I love it.
:same:
I caught up and now I have to wait for more :cry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Eskew - holy poo poo, poor loving Kenneth. that was easily the best episode so far