Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

jagadaishio posted:

The former. In order to gently caress around with anything related to a SIN you need people in a variety of redundant databases around the world changing information simultaneously. No matter how good of a hacker you are, it's literally impossible for anything smaller than a full-sized criminal conspiracy to do. That's why people get fake SINs by way of organizations like the Mafia or Yakuza.

It's about as possible to do as counterfeiting nuyen by hacking a credstick - technically possible, but not by anyone who doesn't have physical access to Zurich Orbital servers.

And yeah, there are a bunch of ideas that could work, but mostly they involve either leveraging Saanvi's parents in some way or faking her death.

I get it now, thanks!
Thanks to everyone else too, I thought Octo was much more skilled apparently, I thought she almost joined the net as a sentient program or some such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

sheep-dodger posted:

I assumed that the texts were sent, only their copies in the Tir surveillance system were nixed by Saanvi.

Oh. Yeah that would make more sense.

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

I don't care if it's ethical; I want a Mammoth Steak.

Toughy posted:

I get it now, thanks!
Thanks to everyone else too, I thought Octo was much more skilled apparently, I thought she almost joined the net as a sentient program or some such.

She did, but that still only puts her at the skill level of a high-end Decker, not a matrix-god like Deus.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Zodiac5000 posted:

I mean, if 'family tries to and succeeds at marrying her off, literally never calls again' is on the table and Kenji and Saanvi get along, I would think that's an A-ok option. Worse fates for an ACHE kid than a semi-convenience marraige with Tir Royalty.
I like this, provided of course that it's, a) a possibility, and b) don't have a whole bunch of strings attached that the Tir can use to yank Kenji around as they please.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Dr Subterfuge posted:

I don't think Saavni's setting Kenji up or anything, but it does occur to me that it could be a setup for both of them. It would require a certain amount of calculating from Joyce we haven't seen though. It seems more like a thing I would expect from Sasha's dad. The lead paladin could fit that bill, depending on how much leeway he has. There wouldn't be anything here that penetrates a white noise bubble, right? How would they even be able to know?

This is what I mean, yes.

Both Kenny and Saanvi are new faces around Joyce's orbit, and if I were in either Joyce's or Gilbrand's position, I'd run some counterintelligence on them; what better opportunity than to throw two unknowns at each other and see how the wash comes out?

Joyce does nothing except calculate people and their actions.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope

Toughy posted:

I get it now, thanks!

There's something hilarious to me about the fact that you made a completely reasonable assumption (that almost merging with the internet means that person could probably hack something really well) that because of the insane powers involved in the shadowrun setting was flawed from the start.

Says something about the setting where "I almost completely abandoned meatspace" Means you're just 'pretty good, probably not the best' in the scale of hacking. As Jag mentioned, it takes a a single being on the 'rampant AI-god' level or groups on the level of the Megacorps or Mafia to edit that kind of stuff.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Octo is a techomancer, an Otaku, right? She's good, but she's no Slamm-o. Changing a SIN is a surprisingly easy thing to do, especially a corporate SIN. Megacorps do it all the time after a talent extraction. Deleting a SIN though, that's nearly impossible.

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Octo is a techomancer, an Otaku, right? She's good, but she's no Slamm-o. Changing a SIN is a surprisingly easy thing to do, especially a corporate SIN. Megacorps do it all the time after a talent extraction. Deleting a SIN though, that's nearly impossible.

In an outdated sense, yeah, she's an Otaku. There's some nuanced differences, but not enough to really matter.

And making a change is one thing. Making a change that will hold up to more than a cursory review is very hard. Making a change that removes your noble title when all the people who know you in real life always know that you have it is at best counterproductive.

Making your SIN no longer declare your knighthood doesn't un-Knight you, it makes people question what's up with your clearly-wrong SIN.

SIN information is stored in a variety of servers around the world and in orbit that constantly double-check each other to make sure the information is consistent and raising no flags. Hacking one server isn't a problem; the problem is that without a systemic approach any changes will be at best erased, at worst burn your SIN entirely via tampering. That's why things like fake SINs almost always trickle down to the masses via a major crime syndicate, even if it's many steps removed by the time you yourself buy it.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
Even if the only way for her freedom is to go underground and become a criminal, we can't say it. And she might not want it, or she don't want to cut ties with her sister.
Let's try and find other solutions before that (good chance is there aren't, but gotta try).
Also? She might want our help - that doesn't mean she got no idea what to do. See if she already got a plan, or if she wants us to help her come up with one

There's no chance she screws up enough so she'll be disowned, right? It may get her freedom, but it may be to be sent to a correction facility (Note - get disowned is one thing, wash outta paladin training another).

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

So, we basically ask Saanvi more about what she'd rather do in her future in a purely hypothetical way, and set up another date sometime for now? I don't know if we can do much more for her in the short term, other than question Joyce about her and her future.

I suppose we could go all-in and collaborate with Olisha or other people who hate Tir to extract Saanvi and humiliate her family and Joyce in the longer term. We'd need, just to start, Saanvi's enthusiastic cooperation for that, which will require more feeling out to secure.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Okay, I tallied up the votes. They were all over the place and I tried to parse them as best as I could.

Kenji is interested in developing some sort of relationship with Saanvi. Whether that's platonic or romantic will be up to the thread down the road. I will say that there's definitely some interest on both sides. From Kenji's previous interactions with women, she is openly and honestly interested in him, and he takes well to people who are up front about what they want. Especially if what they want is him.

Kenji will talk about the ACHE, but he's not going to be straight about who he is. He'll allude to some stuff, but neither confirm nor deny. Especially in a public place.

Kenji is interested in adding her to the runner stable, but he's not sure. This is going to take a few more meetings and we'll have a proper vote on it.

Kenji is interested in helping Saanvi, but has no idea how to do that. He doesn't know the current shape of the problem in order to understand solutions.

Writing now.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Aug 22, 2018

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Ice Phisherman posted:

Okay, I tallied up the votes. They were all over the place and I tried to parse them as best as I could.

Yeah, that sounds about right.

Thanks for being patient enough to tease out something that makes sense. :)

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

jagadaishio posted:

In an outdated sense, yeah, she's an Otaku. There's some nuanced differences, but not enough to really matter.

And making a change is one thing. Making a change that will hold up to more than a cursory review is very hard. Making a change that removes your noble title when all the people who know you in real life always know that you have it is at best counterproductive.

Making your SIN no longer declare your knighthood doesn't un-Knight you, it makes people question what's up with your clearly-wrong SIN.

SIN information is stored in a variety of servers around the world and in orbit that constantly double-check each other to make sure the information is consistent and raising no flags. Hacking one server isn't a problem; the problem is that without a systemic approach any changes will be at best erased, at worst burn your SIN entirely via tampering. That's why things like fake SINs almost always trickle down to the masses via a major crime syndicate, even if it's many steps removed by the time you yourself buy it.

SINs are also different wherever you go. An Ares SIN is recogized by the UCAS because they have a such a close working relationship, but a Renraku or Saeder-Krupp wouldn't be read. It might come up with the corporation name but that's about it.

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

Deadmeat5150 posted:

SINs are also different wherever you go. An Ares SIN is recogized by the UCAS because they have a such a close working relationship, but a Renraku or Saeder-Krupp wouldn't be read. It might come up with the corporation name but that's about it.

That's part of the international registers talking to each other. Every SIN-granting entity has their own servers, but UCAS's servers are checking Knight Errant to see if there's any new criminal information that needs updating, and so on, and so forth. Luckily, Data Balkanization means a lot of poo poo won't get attached to your SIN in the first place because an entity wants to keep the information private, but the stuff that does get attached to your SIN ends up propagated and backed up across an entire world of servers.

All in all, way outside the scope of a singular hacker to do anything, because they simply can't be in enough systems simultaneously.

jagadaishio fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Aug 23, 2018

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
True.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

jagadaishio posted:

All in all, way outside the scope of a singular hacker to do anything, because they simply can't be in enough systems simultaneously.

. . . so, like, we gotta, like, Hack The Planet, duuuuude . . .

:drugnerd:

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Kenji and Saanvi - Saturday, July 27th, 2075 - Morning - Seattle Metroplex, The Steam Room

Kenji thought for a while and Saanvi seemed content with silence. Her third extra sugary iced coffee with whipped cream arrived, this one decaffeinated. She reached for it, paused and then offered the first sip to Kenji. He picked it up, took a sip and smiled at the sweet and slightly bitter taste of real coffee, real milk, real white chocolate and real caramel hit his tongue with the barest hint of whipped cream near the bottom from the tip of the straw. It was everything someone raised in the ACHE could never hope for and it was probably the price of several full meals. He took another sip and handed it to her.

"That's good," he said.

"Right? I'm indulging since I don't know when I'll get to next," she said, "I don't make a habit of pounding these down."

"It's fine. I get being hungry," he said.

"Yeah," she replied, sadly, "Me too. That sandwich was unsatisfying and pretty much all the other food on the menu looks terrible. It's hard to gently caress up breakfast but here it is. What I really want right now is a chow hall omelet. Lunch and dinner in the chow hall was almost always bad, but for some reason the breakfast was the best and omelets were the best of the best even though they were just made of soy. Not the MRE's, the meals ready to eat. Those are the packaged food and the omelet MRE's were the worst. I've eaten at a lot of five star restaurants before and for some reason the military chefs do the best omelets on the planet. The Tir embassy just has a normal lunch room and the closest chow hall is a thousand miles away, so no luck there. Maybe I should've been a military chef so I could learn their secrets."

"But then you wouldn't have blown anything up," countered Kenji, playfully.

"That’s mostly true. Everyone in the military can toss a grenade. Not everyone can cook," she said with a sigh, "Not that a lot of the military cooks could either. Anyway, I only eat out or eat frozen. I could burn water."

"I can cook," said Kenji, simply.

Saanvi's eyes widened slightly.

"Can you cook omelets?" she asked, her interest piqued.

"Yeah. Last summer I had a lot of time on my hands. Whenever I wanted to take my mind off everything I either slipped into a simulation to ink tattoos or I cooked. Let's just say that I wanted to take my mind off things a lot. I'd cook for my roommate. She gave me grief about it because supposedly guys aren't supposed to cook or something. She said I'd make a good housewife," he joked, "So when I got fed up with her I'd stick a fork in her dreadlocks."

He was trying to keep the tone light, but he remembered the months after losing all direction. Edward's rules had been horrible to live under, but it was all he knew. In a way he was still going through the motions of almost all of those rules. He barely lied and doing so still made him feel uncomfortable, he still tried to make contacts, he was still money motivated and he didn't talk about the brick, not that he knew where it was. He still needed to think about what to do with moms though. The year that he'd put her up for in the assisted living center would be up next month.

"Okay, so let me get this straight," she began, You're hot, you can make your hair naturally curly, you have magic, you can do tattoos, you're a gangster and you can cook too?"

Saanvi stressed a hard R on the word gangster. Kenji winced and hid it by drinking his warm soykaf.

"Let's cool it on the G word, okay?" he asked.

She sighed heavily and nodded.

"Sorry," she said, quietly, "So you're just going to disappear after this conversation, huh?"

There were a few beats of awkward silence.

"What?" asked Kenji, suddenly confused.

She looked away and rubbed at her cheek. A few more awkward beats of silenced followed. Kenji wondered if she was going to explain what she meant. As the silence stretched and she squirmed uncomfortably, she spoke just as Kenji opened his mouth.

"No one stays around me for anything past the short term," she said, with a note of resignation in her voice, "I can keep a guy for a little while. A day or two. Maybe a week. I've been doing PT for over a year now and I've got curves that didn't get burned off too much, but guys don't stick around. I've got capital P problems and I'm not exactly a girly girl. Krupa is the one who likes dresses and makeup. I can barely drag up the effort to put on makeup in the morning and I'm used to wearing armor, PT gear or pajama pants. I either intimidate guys due to my job or I weird them out and trust me, I'm self-aware of how weird I am. If that fails, my parents eventually talk to the guy and then I get all sorts of excuses before they vanish."

She sighed and toyed with the straw in her drink with her free hand. Her eyes were still averted.

"I'm just going to be up front with you. You don't have to pretend to be nice to me, Kenji. I'm fine with being a booty call," she said, as she tried and failed to inject a false cheer into her voice, "I'll tell Joyce that you and I just decided to be friends and I'll be discreet to keep from causing trouble. I heard that you don't have a lot of time because of your school. I'm not supposed to tell you I was listening in, but like I said, it's paranoia time for Tir. Well, more than usual, anyway.”

She cleared her throat and shifted uncomfortably in her seat.

“That's a lot of hoops to jump through over me and you and you're going to have to talk to friends and get approval,” she said, as the fake cheer fled her voice, “I don't want to mess up your dating thing either. Trust me, no one approves of me. It's cool. It's been fun to pretend for a while, but you don't have to anymore. Maybe I could take you out to eat or you could take someone else out and I’ll pay. Maybe get you some new clothes or something. I’ll do whatever you want and I'm up for whatever. Stick around and I'll try to make it worth it."

Kenji's mouth was still slightly open and as he realized it, he closed it with a small click of his teeth. This time, the silence was interrupted by the hollow sound from her straw as she drank the last of her iced coffee. She pushed it towards him and on instinct he reached for her. He didn't know why, but the briefest of contact was all it took. Suddenly he was elsewhere.

His black, furry body lay down on the ground. His ribs ached and a man reared back and gave him kick after kick. A woman screamed at him at the top of his lungs as she bent over his body. He understood a few words. He’d been bad, or so the woman screamed. He’d tried so hard to be good, but good was never good enough, so he must be bad and when he was bad he made his owners feel bad. Time ceased to matter. There was only punishment. So he made himself small and non-threatening. He took the hits, because resisting made it worse. Resistance just the punishment come faster. He’d just have to be better next time.

Distantly, he heard a familiar sound. The two people, his owners, didn’t seem to hear it at first. However, they stopped when the telltale clicking of paws and jingle of the tags on a dog collar could be heard. He could see a smaller, golden furred dog with a grey, stuffed toy in her mouth emerge into the room he was in. The man and the woman ignored him completely and lavished attention on the golden furred dog, their assault now over. The golden furred dog anxiously wagged her tail. She was the good dog and they talked for a time about how good the golden haired dog made them feel.

The two people left, but the golden furred dog stayed behind. She looked at him as he stayed there, quiet and still. He was safe from harm so long as she was here. There was total lack of understanding in her eyes. They never called him a bad dog when his sister was around. They never yelled or kicked him. All his golden furred sister knew was that he was hurting, so she padded over and dropped her grey, stuffed toy in front of him. The toy did nothing for him. That was her toy, not his. His sister whined, lay down next to him and licked his face. He dearly loved his sister. She knew how to make him feel better. That was what she did. He would take the pain so his sister wouldn’t have to. That was what he did. So he persevered. After all, who would be the bad dog if he was gone?

Kenji came back to his senses. Unlike before, he hadn’t fallen to the ground. He’d been still and so he’d stayed upright in his seat. His ribs ached with a phantom pain and it made him bend over. Only with effort did he straighten up again, though he had to shut his eyes to keep control.

“Hey, are you okay?” asked Saanvi, her voice worried, “You were shuddering. Do I need to call Joyce? I’ll call Joyce.”

“It’s fine,” rasped Kenji, “I’m getting a hold on it. Dog spoke to me.”

He’d closed his eyes when his sister curled up next to him. Then he remembered he have a sister and he felt a sudden loss at that feeling. He opened his eyes and saw the concern in Saanvi’s face. Then her mouth made an O of surprise.

“What do you mean, dog? Hey, did your smart contact malfunction or something?” she asked, “One of your eyes is blue.”

The room full of smells invaded Kenji’s senses. Mostly this was the bitter, acrid scent of coffee as he smelled it through the enhanced senses of a dog. Underneath it he could smell some food, though the kicking he’d taken had ruined what little appetite he had. Intermixed with the smells, he could smell the people with their rich, artificial scents and see that none of them had noticed him. However, Saanvi seemed to just have on normal shampoo, conditioner and deodorant, but underneath that was the unmistakable smell of fear, its odor sharp and new.

“I’m okay, don’t worry,” said Kenji, slowly, “I just need to run through my exercises. Give me a minute.”

She nodded and he closed his eyes again. He focused on untangling Dog’s primal urges and reactions from his own. He thought about what he was doing, why he was doing it and what he planned on doing. He’d had a vision that he didn’t fully understand. Dog thought it was important to send him a vision and it was Saanvi’s touch that seemed to have set it off. As he thought about her, a strong sense of love, trust and approval blossomed inside of him. He felt like he wanted to wag a tail that he didn’t possess. He silently asked himself why he felt that way and the feelings quickly abated, for Dog could not answer with words. It took a full minute before he was in control again. He opened his eyes and flashed her a tight smile.

“There,” he said, “It’s over.”

“What happened?” she asked.

He read her body language and saw her deep concern that was otherwise muted on her face. This was Dog’s other power that he’d given Kenji. He could read her body language.

“I’m a Dog shaman,” he said, roughly, “Dog talked to me. It’s a magic thing.”

“Right, Dog shaman. You told me that. So you’re okay?” she asked.

“Yeah,” he agreed, “My teacher has been helping me get control. I’ve only known that I’m a Dog shaman for less than a week. Apparently he's this spirit that's taken an interest in me.”

He read her curiosity in the almost imperceptible way she widened her gaze. It was so slight that he probably wouldn’t have noticed otherwise.

“You mean like a magic spirit?” she asked.

“Yeah, a big one,” he confirmed, “I never thought I’d really mess with spirits, but here I am.”

There was a small pause. Saanvi looked genuinely interested, which brought a healthy sparkle to her previously impassive face.

“What did Dog say?” she asked.

Kenji almost recoiled at the thought. That experience had been far too personal to share. Then he remembered that it hadn’t been his experience, but one that had been shared with him. He remembered the beating, the yelling, rules about being good and bad that didn’t make sense, the hopelessness, the helplessness and the love of a sister that he would never have.

“I uh,” began Kenji, awkwardly, “I feel sort of stupid since I never thought I would talk this way, but I had a vision. I think it was about you. It seemed really personal. I’m not sure how or if I should approach it, but I don’t think it’s right to stay quiet.”

Saanvi said nothing. Her face fell back into that passive mask, but underneath Kenji could see fear and confusion spark and die in an instant. Then came what he knew well from his years in the ACHE: Learned helplessness, a feeling of worthlessness and hopelessness so deep it was like a void. Those emotions had been on the faces of the desperate in the ACHE though, not here in a coffee shop. She hid them well, or perhaps the hopelessness was so deep that the emotions barely registered. Nervously, he licked his lips and spoke.

“In the vision, I was a black dog,” he began, “I was being kicked by a man and yelled at by a woman.”

What few emotions she displayed turned first towards surprise and then shame, though those emotions almost exclusively touched her body and barely her face. Kenji powered forward, afraid that if he stopped he may falter.

“I’d tried to be good, but good was never good enough,” he continued, desperately, “There was always something wrong that I was doing. Deep down, I thought I was bad. I made the man and the woman feel bad and that was somehow important. I felt completely hopeless, helpless and worthless. I know those feelings pretty well, actually. But then my sister came down the hall with this plush toy in her mouth. It was a…”

Kenji’s eyebrows climbed as he came to a realization. Saanvi looked away.

“It was a dolphin toy,” he said, quietly, “Anyway, this golden furred dog, my sister, as soon as she showed up the man and the woman stopped. They pretended like everything had been okay. They gave her all of this attention and talked about how good she was and how good she made them feel. Then they left and my sister walked up to me. She didn’t understand what happened, but she helped me anyway. I took the pain so she didn’t have to.”

From what he could see of her side profile, it was as if that hopelessness had deepened. It was like a perfect black that had somehow grown blacker. Her face stayed rigid and she said nothing.

“Saanvi, I’ve been where you were,” continued Kenji, frantically, “I was so hopeless. I was at the mercy of someone who didn’t care about me and he abused me. I thought that was just how life was. You care about your sister and I think wanted to reward me, right? But you don’t feel like you had anything to offer but…”

The smallest turn of her head away confirmed what he suspected. Saanvi wanted to reward Kenji for helping Krupa even though he felt like he’d barely done anything. Then he realized that she felt so worthless that her body and her money was all she had to give him. A thought struck him and he smiled.

“Saanvi, what’s your address?” he asked.

The tension in her shoulders eased as she relaxed. That was when Kenji realized his mistake. He’d meant something entirely different. She thought he was accepting her offer and he was instantly revolted by what she thought he meant. He didn’t understand though, he was used to using people and being used. It wasn’t just about Saanvi. He asked himself why he felt this way. He used people and was used in return. Only his pack was immune from that, but now he was even further revolted by the way he’d acted and treated other people. It had all been a part of the game. That game had rules. They were Edward’s rules. His stomach churned and he felt momentarily dizzy from the rapid fire realizations. While he struggled with his thoughts he received a text. She looked at him again and seemed pleased and relieved.

“My nights are usually free,” she said, quietly, “Just hit me up. I'll wear something nice.”

Kenji threw up in his mouth swallowed back his coffee flavored bile with a grimace. His enhanced sense of smell made it a dozen times worse.

“No, not for that,” he gasped, “I was being truthful when I said I didn’t have time, but gently caress it, I’m going to make time for you. I’m going to claw back every second. I spend five days a week on the island and it’s hard to call out, but I can send you letters and they’ll be the type that you’ll want to open. I’ll send you one every day.”

Saanvi’s tension doubled as she suddenly stood up straight and her face grew as cold as stone. Kenji became so excited that he began to talk with his hands.

“Next week I’m going to make the best drat omelet you’ve ever had,” said Kenji, excitedly, “All you’ll need to do is bring your appetite. I want to introduce you to my friends. I don’t know about all of this courting or dating stuff, but you’re worth so much more than what you think you are. Dog reached out to someone like me and thought I was worth something. He didn’t save me, but he recognized that I saved myself and chose my friends over myself. Saanvi, he adores you. He sees what you endure for who you care about and loves you for it. He doesn’t talk with words to me, so I’ll tell you what I feel. Saanvi, you are not worthless. You are precious. You are not helpless. You can be strong. You feel like there’s no hope, but there is. I don’t want your body or your money. I want to be your friend.”

Kenji reached out, took her hands in his own and gave them a squeeze. He was running completely on instinct. His words weren’t calculated. They were from the heart. He wasn’t thinking several steps ahead. There was no calculation or sarcasm in his words. He only did what he thought was right. It ran so contrary to how he'd learned to be that the words seemed as awkward as they were earnest. No hope flared to life in her though. There was only small amusement.

“You’re friend zoning me?” she asked, distantly, “Wow, that was quick. Usually it takes longer.”

He gave her hands a shake to get her attention.

“There’s nothing wrong with being friends,” he said, fiercely, “In me, you’ll find a loyal friend.”

He didn’t know what he did and though the shock that hit her face looked slight, he read her like a book. Something he said had shifted something massive inside of her. Hope flickered to life inside of her for just for the barest of instants before dying. Then came the pain. Then she sighed and lowered her head.

“All right,” she whispered, “Sure. Whatever you want.”

CYOA Time

This is it. Kenji has decided at the very least to be Saanvi's friend. Dating might be in the cards later, but he's going to help her regain some of her self-worth. Kenji's story isn't about being saved. He doesn't save people. Saanvi isn't some damsel in distress that he can swoop off her feet and solve all of her problems for her. In fact that would further solidify feelings of worthlessness and inadequacy.

Here’s the choice for this chapter. I’m going to say that Kenji will be able to go on the raid on Human Nation. In fact, it’s probably not going to be that difficult. Half the gang is gone and they haven’t had a lot of time to recruit. What will be more difficult will be sneaking off and back onto the island without getting caught. Kenji realizes that he can still do his fixer job because he can send and receive letters.

Or he can keep it strictly legal. Letters can be sent and received, breakfast gets cooked and she gets introduced to his friends.

So if Kenji goes on the shadowrun, will he invite Saanvi?

Does Kenji try to recruit Saanvi as a shadowrunner or does he keep her on the straight and narrow?

--

Let's roll

Saanvi talks about food for a bit since she's hungry. She misses chow hall breakfast and especially chow hall omelettes which were the best omelettes she's ever had. I roll Kenji's intution 5 + artisan 3 and get 5 hits on 8 dice. Yeah, Kenji can make some awesome omelettes. He spent every day over the summer cooking and doing tattoos to try and take his mind off his now largely rudderless existence. I'll try to remember to add that +5 bonus to making omelettes since he'll know to prepare. Luckily, he knows Oli who is a dab hand at cooking and so he'll be spending a little time with her. I'll also roll his edge and see if he has any of that real syrup left that he got from Sasha last year. He has 1 hit on 3 dice. He has juuuuuust a little bit left.

https://terminallance.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/2016-04-29-Strip_423_Food_Service_Specialist_web.jpg

I roll Kenji's intution 5 + artisan 3 and get 5 hits on 8 dice. Yeah, Kenji can make some awesome omelettes. He spent every day over the summer cooking and doing tattoos to try and take his mind off his now largely rudderless existence. He's not some fantastic cook, but he's certainly passable.

Saanvi quietly breaks down. Something about this situation is off. She's offering him sex and money, but she seems incredibly detached, depressed and desperate. It's an offputting conversation. At the beginning of year one, Kenji probably would have at least used her money. However, the thread wants to help her and I feel like that's appropriate. She's suffering here right in front of him and so Kenji reaches out to comfort her with a touch.

Kenji has a vision. A dog is being kicked by one human and being berated by another. She (the dog) barely understands the words, but she knows the intent. The dog has done its very best to be good like the owners demand of her, but it is never enough. The man kicks and the woman berates her. So she's made herself small and stays still in order to keep it from continuing any longer than necessary. It lingers and she accepts her lot and that she's somehow been bad and that she deserves this.

It only stops when another dog pads down the hall. The man stops kicking. The woman stops berating her. They go to see the other dog. They lavish praise on her and pet her, but the smaller, golden furred dog stares at the black dog. The kicked dog stays still as she looks at the good dog. Eventually the two leave and the golden dog approaches her, whines confusedly and begins to lick the kicked dog in order to tend to her wounds.

I roll Kenji's composure. He still gets Julian's +4 bonus from earlier in the book until his two weeks are up. He also gets charisma 8 + willpower 3 for a total of 15. He gets 6 hits. He is solid. No problems with Dog. So he's able to understand and react to what he saw.

I roll judge intentions for Kenji and he scores 4 hits with his intuition 5 + logic 2 + kinesics 1 + a 4 from the vision (he's using Dog's granted power). So he's going to get four reads from her as Saanvi is too confused to guard herself as Kenji's eyes turn colors.

1. Saanvi has internalized learned helplessness and worthlessness. She has no hope in her. She is like a hopeless void.
2. Saanvi feels intense gratitude towards Kenji and wants to reward him, which plugs into part three.
3. Due to her internalized helplessness and lack of self-worth interacting with her intense feeling of gratitude, she's offering the only two things she has that she thinks are of any value: Her body and her money. She's relieved that Kenji seems to value these things (due to dating rich girls for the contacts) and offers him what he thinks he wants.
4. She’s offering him her body and money as a reward for protecting her sister.

There is more and Kenji knows there's more, but he can't be sure about the rest. There's too much and he doesn't know how to see it all at once. I'll say that his sense of smell and sudden realization messed up the final piece of information. For free, Dog strongly approves of her. Why exactly he approves of her, Kenji isn't 100% sure, but the thread can guess.

Kenji tries to talk to her. He crits 7 to 3. He describes the beats of what he saw in general terms. She's so hopeless and unused to defending herself that she doesn't deny it. She just shrugs. She responds to Kenji thinking she's worth more than what she is, and she thinks he's friendzoned her. Saanvi feels utterly worthless because she feels like that's all she had. She can't even "reward" Kenji properly. Kenji asks her what her address is and he sees her relief because she thinks he changed his mind. He's going to make time for her. He's going to introduce her to his friends. Maybe they'll date in the future, maybe they won't, but the reason he wants her address is so he can send her letters from Blake Island and get them in return. It's archaic in 2075, but she's going to get a letter from him every day. For once, she can look forward to opening a letter from someone. He's going to refute everything that he read in her body language about her. She is not worthless. She is not helpless. He's not going to use her for sex or money. Dog showed him a vision. He approves of her. Wagging tail and all. Kenji wants to help her believe in herself.

I roll her composure of 10. 4 hits. She doesn't believe any of it, but she does listen. But something Kenji said touched her.

This is going to prompt Kenji to start taking prescription long haul which was mentioned a few updates back. I checked the rulebook and even pharmaceutical grade long haul is mildly addictive. It'll be habit forming after about ten weeks or by using it more than ten times in ten weeks, but he doesn't plan on using it that long and only buys five so there's no chance of addiction. Also when he crashes, he'll crash for 4d6 hours, so something between 4 and 24 hours. He has a medical contact in the ACHE named Sawbones. I'm not going to flesh him out. He's just Kenji's medical supply hookup/stitch-up. I roll twice his contact rating and he supplies Kenji with some prescription long haul hypos He is going to dig into his time sleeping and that means he's going to need to stay occupied. So he's going to be bettering his Cantonese, practice his lying, get ahead on all of his schoolwork (Mr. Peters' class is tons of work) and write letters to Saanvi to kill all that extra time. He's going to take some when he gets home. It's a little chancy because his crash could last longer than he has downtime, but he needs to create time to get ahead. It's going to run him 500 nuyen for the meds and 200 for use of his contact (his connection rating). Its also legal so Kenji can actually take it on his own, but it would be best if it wasn't found.

And now the -4 negative that I applied all the way back when Kenji met Krupa applies now that Kenji realizes that she's a genuine person with pretty much no deceit in her.

So yeah, I hadn't forgotten about all that. I'm rolling the increase in the Cantonese skill to +2 + the lying skill to 1 + the enchanting skill to +2 the disenchanting skill to +2 and the arcana skill to +1. I'm also going to give him his free boost in artisan from 3 to 4 for taking his class so I don't forget. This last boost won't cost him any karma as he's taking a normally pretty useless skill and he took an elective which gives boosts to non-critical skills for free. So the karma costs is 18 karma spent and 700 nuyen spent too. Mrs. Liu's loyalty level also goes up by 1 as he becomes "civilized".. It's a pretty big buy, but Kenji never spent that much karma last year and he's sitting on a ton of it. It's montage time.

Side note. Disenchanting is perhaps the single most useless skill in the game and the enchanting skill group is chock full of useless skills. If this were a normal game of shadowrun it would be absolutely insane for anyone to waste karma on the enchanting skill because it's badly broken. One of the reasons I don't mind the teens heading into high levels of karma, or as it's called "prime runner territory" is because I'm spending karma on otherwise useless skills. They are not optimized at all, but are being built like people instead of munchkins and murder hobos.

Disenchanting recoups maybe 20 nuyen in reagents and destroys a focus. That's it. It's dumb and bad. I'm going to tweak it so a small amount of karma can be recouped for the sole purpose of enchanting new items so enchanting new focuses doesn't end up being a drain on Kenji's karma. So he can buy a no longer used enchanted item and use the karma inside to offset the karma he'd need to spend. He will normally end up having to buy a focus if he doesn't want to spend the extra karma though, but we'll have that choice between spending karma or getting less profit in the future. I'll flesh out how it works at a different time.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Oct 4, 2018

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Ah.

Okay.

Right.

New plan.

We're going to kill Mr and Mrs Patel.

I want to strikethrough that and post a real vote but, uh...

Okay, fine, real plan. Kenji is a fixer now, not a runner. So while he does set it up, he gets to stand on the sidelines going "Aw gee, look at that awful awful violence. What is the world coming to?"

Seriously though, those two need to have an "unfortunate accident". Sure it'll break Krupa's heart but honestly? Don't give a poo poo.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Killing them is morally and practically worse than humiliating and disgracing them.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

RickVoid posted:

Okay, fine, real plan. Kenji is a fixer now, not a runner. So while he does set it up, he gets to stand on the sidelines going "Aw gee, look at that awful awful violence. What is the world coming to?"

Whoops, sorry. Forgot that Kenji isn't specifically going on the run as he's retired. He'll still need to make some introductions and he's going to be with Joyce for much of the rest of the day. Slight edit to the choice. Does he recruit her, y/n?

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Ice Phisherman posted:

Whoops, sorry. Forgot that Kenji isn't specifically going on the run as he's retired. He'll still need to make some introductions and he's going to be with Joyce for much of the rest of the day. Slight edit to the choice. Does he recruit her, y/n?

Yes, getting her involved may be the best way to get Tir to kick her out of Paladinhood and accomplish most goals. Get her informed consent first, of course.

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

The most constructive thing you can do to abusers is walk the gently caress away. Lashing out doesn't bring any kind of closure.

Anyway, this chick is solid runner material. She desperately needs something that can give her a sense of agency and hope. You know what really helps with feeling like you have a sense of agency? Hanging out with a bunch of anarchist punks and doing crimes with immediate, tangible payouts.

I say plan 'recruit Saanvi and use her felonies as leverage to get her parents to cut her loose' is our best bet for both breaking her learned helplessness and getting her out from under her family's thumb. And then maybe a long-term runner and/or someone Kenji can feel good dating one she's got some self respect back? He'll have to play it careful to keep himself or her from getting caught before it's time, but I think that's a line he can walk.

Busting up Human Brotherhood will be a good first run for her. She's already expressed an appreciation for loving them up, and it's an understandable revenge play, so if her paladin mentor catches wind of it it'll be easier to brush off. Plus, she'll be hitting people tangentially associated with the folks who traumatized her sister. Also, I think she'll probably get a kick out of Kenji's batshit novelty grenades.

This is the perfect run to introduce her to the shadows. Recruit her.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

How do we know she's not a sleeper agent sent to kill Kenji? Kill her just to be safe.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

RickVoid posted:

Ah.

Okay.

Right.

New plan.

We're going to kill Mr and Mrs Patel.

I want to strikethrough that and post a real vote but, uh...

Seriously though, those two need to have an "unfortunate accident". Sure it'll break Krupa's heart but honestly? Don't give a poo poo.

:yeah:

So anyways, obviously we're recruiting her. Preferably for this very run, if practical. loving up a bunch of racists, especially a bunch of racists that were just at least tangentially involved in traumatizing her sister, seems like good catharsis for the 19 year old (holy poo poo she's young) EOD specialist with issues to work through. The rich girl with abusive parents really needs to get out there, hate cops, be gay, and do some crimes.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Aug 26, 2018

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Recruit

Wise? Probably not. But I still want to see it happen, and then the consequences.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Right. In. The. Feels.

Crazycryodude posted:

:yeah:

So anyways, obviously we're recruiting her. Preferably for this very run, if practical. loving up a bunch of racists, especially a bunch of racists that were just at least tangentially involved in traumatizing her sister, seems like good catharsis for the 19 year old (holy poo poo she's young) EOD specialist with issues to work through. The rich girl with abusive parents really needs to get out there, hate cops, be gay, and do some crimes.

But yeah this

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

super sweet best pal posted:

How do we know she's not a sleeper agent sent to kill Kenji? Kill her just to be safe.

:allbuttons: The hell? Recruit/romance her

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
Recruit and get your romance on Kenji.

Our little golem deserves happiness.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

super sweet best pal posted:

Settle down, Arkanomen.

Recruit her.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Get her involved in this run, at the very least.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Kenji needs to stumble across some dank historic horny Indian guy memes and then ask her about her plumpy holes and send her some pics with himself photoshopped in looking all suave then sign off with "super bowl to you"

This is the only time I'm going to reference this poo poo, don't worry

Ysengrin
Feb 13, 2012

Zodiac5000 posted:

Recruit and get your romance on Kenji.

Our little golem deserves happiness.

not an emptyquote

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Oh yeah, we're recruiting. And we'll give love a chance.
Let's get her in on this run, and see how she feels.

Obviously she has to agree to it herself, but as others have said, this could be the best way to get away from her abusive parents.

Also, and this is important. The industrial grade lubricant we used back in book one is going to make a comeback. If she goes on this run we'll outfit her with lube grenades for free. Kicking nazis is good. Kicking frictionless nazis will be hilarious. Saanvi is an EOD who used to have dildo fencing matches in corridors, I'm certain she'll appreciate the absurdity of lube grenades.

Come to think of it, the lubricant is probably flammable too, so we could potentially have nazis helplessly flailing about, crashing into each other, and setting each other on fire.
Might be dangerous though, we don't want flaming nazis skidding into any of our guys, or burning down anything worth looting, since that's how we're financing this run.

Groetgaffel fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Aug 26, 2018

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
Give her the option, but don't push it .
If she wants to join, we can arrange things ; but we're not trying to recruit her. The point is to help her - so it'll be her choice, not ours. I mean, a large part of her issues is that her parents deny her agency - we are not doing that. She's calling the shots - we just help.
Since she already know about the raid, we can mention that she can join - but it's because she wants to take humanis down a peg, or because it's her foot in the door for the shadows ; not because we need or want her on it. Her freedom.

Ice Phisherman posted:

“You’re friendzoning me?” she asked, distantly, “Wow, that was quick. Usually it takes longer.”
Hate that term. But to the point:
"Oh, one coffee and you want nightly visits? What kind of man do you think I am?
Okay, fair enough. But point is, I'm not friendzoning anybody. I'm just playing hard to get. Ain't an easy choice, y'know?
Also, you still need to get clearance from my pack. "

Semi - relevant question about Kenji (and not Edward, I might add) - had he been in a serious relationship before, or he's our token virgin for the gang?
(I feel like that sentence fails English somehow)

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Gun Jam posted:

If she wants to join, we can arrange things ; but we're not trying to recruit her. The point is to help her - so it'll be her choice, not ours. I mean, a large part of her issues is that her parents deny her agency - we are not doing that. She's calling the shots - we just help.
Since she already know about the raid, we can mention that she can join - but it's because she wants to take humanis down a peg, or because it's her foot in the door for the shadows ; not because we need or want her on it. Her freedom.

"Oh, one coffee and you want nightly visits? What kind of man do you think I am?
Okay, fair enough. But point is, I'm not friendzoning anybody. I'm just playing hard to get. Ain't an easy choice, y'know?

Semi - relevant question about Kenji (and not Edward, I might add) - had he been in a serious relationship before, or he's our token virgin for the gang?
These are good points.

I do think that Kenji would want to actively recruit her, but of course the choice is hers.

We're interested in her, but not emotionless sex. And any real relationship begins with getting to know each other.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Gun Jam posted:

This - recruit her, but make sure that in the end it's her decision. Given what's already happened I assume that she would jump at the opportunity though. She gets to use her military training, stick a middle finger up at her loving poo poo parents, and (at least on this particular run) do something which is pretty much unequivocally morally good.

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

Groetgaffel posted:

Oh yeah, we're recruiting. And we'll give love a chance.
Let's get her in on this run, and see how she feels.

Obviously she has to agree to it herself, but as others have said, this could be the best way to get away from her abusive parents.

Also, and this is important. The industrial grade lubricant we used back in book one is going to make a comeback. If she goes on this run we'll outfit her with lube grenades for free. Kicking nazis is good. Kicking frictionless nazis will be hilarious. Saanvi is an EOD who used to have dildo fencing matches in corridors, I'm certain she'll appreciate the absurdity of lube grenades.

Come to think of it, the lubricant is probably flammable too, so we could potentially have nazis helplessly flailing about, crashing into each other, and setting each other on fire.
Might be dangerous though, we don't want flaming nazis skidding into any of our guys, or burning down anything worth looting, since that's how we're financing this run.

That reminds me, the ultra-lube requires a special solvent to be removed. If this run is going to go extra slippery - and I'm hoping it is - Kenji should get a little spray bottle of solvent to spray on the soles of his team's shoes, so they can walk around.

That, or it might be a good time to invest in Gecko Grip shoes and gloves. Those use van der Waals force to adhere to surfaces, traditionally for scaling sheer walls, but I think they'd work great for walking across a lubed room like magnetic boots in a space walk.

It's probably not flammable, though. This is some futuristic frictionless super-material that your can buy at a hardware store by the jug, not just some slippery petroleum/alcohol-based goo.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
also have Kenji give himself a perm.

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
Man, I was all for Kenji romancing her before this update, but she is super down. I think she has way too many problems for Kenji to deal with at the moment, espicially while he's still trying to figure himself out and cope with his own problems.

It feels bad to just leave her be, but I think that might be the best option. Is there a Shadowrunner equivalent of Facebook friending?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Chatrapati posted:

Man, I was all for Kenji romancing her before this update, but she is super down. I think she has way too many problems for Kenji to deal with at the moment, espicially while he's still trying to figure himself out and cope with his own problems.

It feels bad to just leave her be, but I think that might be the best option. Is there a Shadowrunner equivalent of Facebook friending?

https://i.imgur.com/Pfc3Y5j.gifv
We didn't become a dog shaman by being selfish, and Dog wouldn't have shown us that vision if he wanted us to stay away.