Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

It is pretty dreary but you do get to kill someone and then tell an AI hologram based on them that they’re dead

Really the only thing I remember being as memorably weird as anything from DX1 is a conversation with the dancing hologram that gets as wonky as the Hong Kong bartender’s. But I might be imagining that one.

Actually there are two things I do recall from playing the game back in the day, one of which was loving up and killing a whole bunch of people and Chad the Frenchman saying (and I remember this specific line distinctly) “your cavalier attitude toward human life is disgusting” before proceeding to recruit me as though I’d ghosted the whole level. The other is finding JC Denton in cryostasis?

I was so hyped for that game, I remember waiting for its release with the same bated breath I greeted Fallout 2 with. It didn’t turn out well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Thief 3 (that’s Deadly Shadows yeah?) was the only Thief game I’ve played and it is my favorite for that reason. I remember thinking at the time of its release that it had some of the most mind-blowing GFX I’d seen at that time. I think real time lighting was a pretty new thing

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

jojoinnit posted:

Everyone gave up on trying to play it yonks ago. I might give it a go again with this new mod. I did enjoy the one playthrough I managed back in the day but dunno how interesting it'll feel now.

It's slightly better if you adjust the FOV with a hex editor.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

chaosapiant posted:

Google “invisible war visible upgrade.” Its a mod that fixes this issue along with offering widescreen support and hi res textures. It’s good and no one seems to be talking about it.
Tried it and still didn't like it. It still doesn't look great and the gameplay still sucks. Somebody should port whatever they can into the original game. That's the only way to save it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

JustJeff88 posted:

Took the words right out of my mouth keyboard. I also quite enjoyed Thief 3, but anything that came make either or both games better is always welcome. Thief 3 is also the game wherein happened the funniest thing that I have ever seen in gaming, so that helps me keep a special fondness for it that goes beyond just gameplay novelty.

I liked a lot of what they were going for with the levels, and I loved the hubs and some of the quests, and things like glass-vanishing pistol rounds owned. If they fixed the inventory, had a normal and sane ammo system, had more augs (I did like the normal and black market thing) and didn’t have the levels chopped I would have really liked it.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I liked a lot of what they were going for with the levels, and I loved the hubs and some of the quests, and things like glass-vanishing pistol rounds owned. If they fixed the inventory, had a normal and sane ammo system, had more augs (I did like the normal and black market thing) and didn’t have the levels chopped I would have really liked it.

The health balancing is still bad, there's no limb damage, the level design is terrible, the writing is massively worse than the original in everything from combat barks to datacubes, the basic narrative arc is weak, the power curve is all hosed up, I can go on.

Invisible War, contrary to the protests of its defenders, is just a bad game straight up.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Basic Chunnel posted:

Really the only thing I remember being as memorably weird as anything from DX1 is a conversation with the dancing hologram that gets as wonky as the Hong Kong bartender’s. But I might be imagining that one.

Not even at the end where you can decide that you like none of the factions, kill them all and let the Omar take over, and they reward you with a 10% discount worldwide now that the game is over?

I do like their ending the best though regardless. Or more that I hate all the other endings.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

aniviron posted:

To my knowledge, no. I haven't played Thief 3 so I can't say for sure if it does this, but DXIW is programmed to destroy the process and relaunch the game between every level, and I assume that this was done because of serious problems with how the game was made, i.e. there are probably horrible memory leaks that went unfixed. Not sure if it would even be feasible to make DXIW have larger levels without fixing this.

Most of Thief 3 I thought was okay but not great, except for the level with the grieving widow, which had a great and poignant atmosphere. I like the basic idea of what Thief 3 tried to do and with the tools they had I thought they did about as well as could be hoped for; pity the tools sucked.

Edit: re IW quality, I liked the plot and world developments they went with for the game, but, again, lovely tools as well as a couple of baffling gameplay design decisions. I'd love a remade IW with some of the plot elements expanded.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

So I've been playing through Deus Ex Revision and have made it to Hong Kong finally. So far, I'm really enjoying it. Now, I haven't played Deus Ex since...2005ish? So it's really hard for me to compare the level changes since I'm going by really old memories. The MJ12 base command center felt really different, and there were pathways in Hells Kitchen and Statue of Liberty that seem different. On the other hand, since I am approaching this mod and its changes with a relatively "fresh" perspective I think that helps me judge it more fairly.

The game makes Deus Ex actually look good (mascara-wearing UNATCO troopers aside..and even then, maybe thats just the hot look of 2050?). Hong Kong in particularly is bright, colorful, and vibrant. The weather effects, lighting effects, and textures give the game a sharpness and clarity it never had before. It really pushes the Unreal 1 engine to its limits. I'm not running any of the shifter or biomod modifications, just the changes that Revision put in place. As a stealth game, it amazes me how well Deus Ex holds up even in 2018. I'm taking my time exploring, and discovering all sorts of nooks and secret rooms that I don't remember, and can't remember if they were there in the base game or vision. For example I found a ledge that took me to a top floor apartment in Hells Kitchen, which was neat. Also, I finally found Anna's killswitch and knocked out Manderly (Simson said I killed him? I just hit him with the baton).

I'm excited to see what has been done or how much I remember of VersaLife HQ. I remember that being a hell of a level when I last played this game way back when.

*EDIT*

Oh forgot to mention, the music. Revision's music is actually not bad, its a bit more mellow than the OST. However the OST is so iconic, it feels wrong to not have it on.

Solaris 2.0 fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Aug 25, 2018

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I always wondered why Deus Ex cops had those weird blacked out eyes. I honestly thought it might have been a bug or something.

Solaris 2.0 posted:

So I've been playing through Deus Ex Revision and have made it to Hong Kong finally. So far, I'm really enjoying it. Now, I haven't played Deus Ex since...2005ish? So it's really hard for me to compare the level changes since I'm going by really old memories. The MJ12 base command center felt really different, and there were pathways in Hells Kitchen and Statue of Liberty that seem different. On the other hand, since I am approaching this mod and its changes with a relatively "fresh" perspective I think that helps me judge it more fairly.

The game makes Deus Ex actually look good (mascara-wearing UNATCO troopers aside..and even then, maybe thats just the hot look of 2050?). Hong Kong in particularly is bright, colorful, and vibrant. The weather effects, lighting effects, and textures give the game a sharpness and clarity it never had before. It really pushes the Unreal 1 engine to its limits. I'm not running any of the shifter or biomod modifications, just the changes that Revision put in place. As a stealth game, it amazes me how well Deus Ex holds up even in 2018. I'm taking my time exploring, and discovering all sorts of nooks and secret rooms that I don't remember, and can't remember if they were there in the base game or vision. For example I found a ledge that took me to a top floor apartment in Hells Kitchen, which was neat. Also, I finally found Anna's killswitch and knocked out Manderly (Simson said I killed him? I just hit him with the baton).

I'm excited to see what has been done or how much I remember of VersaLife HQ. I remember that being a hell of a level when I last played this game way back when.

This is probably the best way to play Revision. When I tried playing it fairly shortly after playing regular, all the changes just made me mad for some reason.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

Solaris 2.0 posted:

knocked out Manderly (Simson said I killed him? I just hit him with the baton).

He's an old man, they can't take that kind of abuse!

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

The knocked out thing is just to make you feel better. If you knock someone out the game considers them dead, but labels them as unconscious. It's purely a roleplaying mechanic.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

aniviron posted:

The knocked out thing is just to make you feel better. If you knock someone out the game considers them dead, but labels them as unconscious. It's purely a roleplaying mechanic.

I don't think this is accurate. I know for sure that when you knock out Johnny instead of killing him, Sandra has different dialogue. And if you knock out Simons during the first boss fight, I believe he shows up for the second one as if you ran away from him. I would guess that the Manderley thing is more of an exception than the rule. Like, if you kill Shea she disappears next time you come back to Hell's kitchen. I'm guessing that's not the case if you knock her out

feelix fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Aug 25, 2018

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
The only way to consistently knock people out with sedatives is to give them an overdose. This may, um, also kill them.

Those NSF troopers you "knocked out" are all dead, guys, I'm sorry.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Tacky-rear end Rococco posted:

The only way to consistently knock people out with sedatives is to give them an overdose. This may, um, also kill them.

I didn't tranq them, I prodded them with the prod. :colbert:

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

StandardVC10 posted:

That may be an exception. But also, you know those people you baton'd with the baton? Yeah, if you knock someone out via trauma and they're still "asleep" twenty minutes later, probably dead.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Tacky-rear end Rococco posted:

Nah, you could definitely put somebody down with an assload of Midazolam, the lethal dose in humans is obscenely high. But it takes like fifteen minutes to work when it’s injected into a muscle, so that’s a lot of time for the NSF trooper to run around going “agh!”

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Solaris 2.0 posted:

So I've been playing through Deus Ex Revision

<googles> Oooooh...

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Nah, you could definitely put somebody down with an assload of Midazolam, the lethal dose in humans is obscenely high. But it takes like fifteen minutes to work when it’s injected into a muscle, so that’s a lot of time for the NSF trooper to run around going “agh!”

BRB, crossposting to TCC.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

I mean, that's not a whole lot longer than they already do run around going "agh!" so, realism achieved?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

StandardVC10 posted:

Doesn't matter how -- tranq, prod, baton, sleep gas, whatever. The way it's implemented in Deus Ex, they are corpses, there's just a hack to add "(unconscious)" to their label so you can pretend they're not dead.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Except all the checks for lethal/non-lethal behaviour in the opening few missions, where it definitely does have an effect. Yes there is no physical difference between a corpse model and an unconscious one, and they never wake up again, but that's the same way nearly all games implement it.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

The first mission you can get no kills but quite a few knockouts and the game increments the flag for number of enemies killed for each one you knock out, which is why Paul and Carter still yell at you even if you don't kill anyone. There are a few instances where knocking out changes things, but not often.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

aniviron posted:

The first mission you can get no kills but quite a few knockouts and the game increments the flag for number of enemies killed for each one you knock out, which is why Paul and Carter still yell at you even if you don't kill anyone. There are a few instances where knocking out changes things, but not often.

This seems wrong, I've always thought tranqing everyone on the island gets you the compliments from Paul and Carter. Are your posts some kind of troll ploy to get people to reinstall and test this stuff out?

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
The game definitely keeps track of whether or not you knocked out Simons, too, because I know you can bring his unconscious body to Area 51 where he will spawn again to fight you

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

aniviron posted:

i have prodded, tranq darted, and batoned a shitload of people in dx and paul told me to keep up the good work, same with Carter

there is a bug or condition I vaguely remember about how you could somehow kill an unconscious NPC but you can definitely do all that stuff on Liberty no problem

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

feelix posted:

The game definitely keeps track of whether or not you knocked out Simons, too, because I know you can bring his unconscious body to Area 51 where he will spawn again to fight you

How the hell do you do that?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Literally carry his body with you through the rest of the game

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

aniviron posted:

This is totally wrong, I always compulsively hunt down and knock out every single nsf trooper on my playthroughs and the game deals with it correctly. Last time through I went to extremes and refused to allow anyone to die fullstop, which meant knocking out a bunch of unatco guys too before they could kill the nsf.

Castle Clinton was difficult but a cakewalk compared to Hell’s Kitchen, which took prodigious use of gas grenades over a large area to stop everyone shooting long enough to knock them all out.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I've absolutely 100% gone through the Liberty Island statue making sure no one died but getting lots of knock outs and had both Paul and Carter yell at me, as well as the troopers being happy. Maybe it was an old patch, but this is very much a thing that has happened to me more than once.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Fondly remembering getting screwed out of Human Revolution achievements because dragging an unconscious body into a vent the wrong way would break their necks and kill them

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Dishonoured 2 had a bug early on where unconscious bodies would shake against the floor until they died or something like that. It was a real pain in the rear end to spend an entire mission sneaking around only to find out that you didn't get non-lethal because of a bug.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Casimir Radon posted:

Dishonoured 2 had a bug early on where unconscious bodies would shake against the floor until they died or something like that. It was a real pain in the rear end to spend an entire mission sneaking around only to find out that you didn't get non-lethal because of a bug.

Dishonoured 1 had the same thing where an unconscious body could die when you weren't around.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
I've probably asked this before, but hey why not again.

I haven't played Mankind Divided yet. The ending backlash stuff put me off, along with having other stuff to play.

Getting the itch to do my yearly Deus Ex series run, but also kind of wanting to wait until the series feels "complete" as it were. But it sounds like that could be a few years off.

Keeping it as vague/no spoilers as possible, is the MD ending a cliffhanger in the sense it doesn't explain/expand anything and feels like they didn't finish the game?

Or does it still expand on the overall conspiracy these games are built around, and perhaps semi namedrops the Denton Project or what leads to it. It's just a lovely inconclusive ending for Adam.

Like obviously Adam doesn't succeed. If he did we wouldn't have og. Just curious if there is enough at the end of MD to tie to a og start, or if it really is a cliffhanger drop with a missing Act 3 like people seem to suggest.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Mankind Divided is good, but it is planned as part two of a trilogy so yes, it doesn't really resolve.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Rookersh posted:

I've probably asked this before, but hey why not again.

I haven't played Mankind Divided yet. The ending backlash stuff put me off, along with having other stuff to play.

Getting the itch to do my yearly Deus Ex series run, but also kind of wanting to wait until the series feels "complete" as it were. But it sounds like that could be a few years off.

Keeping it as vague/no spoilers as possible, is the MD ending a cliffhanger in the sense it doesn't explain/expand anything and feels like they didn't finish the game?

Or does it still expand on the overall conspiracy these games are built around, and perhaps semi namedrops the Denton Project or what leads to it. It's just a lovely inconclusive ending for Adam.

Like obviously Adam doesn't succeed. If he did we wouldn't have og. Just curious if there is enough at the end of MD to tie to a og start, or if it really is a cliffhanger drop with a missing Act 3 like people seem to suggest.

It is the latter. The boss fight at the end of the game is the only boss fight and most people, including myself, were pretty shocked to see the game end after you take him out. He's just a random nobody that you bumped into once for 30 seconds earlier in the game. The ending of the game is Adam sitting in his apartment watching TV telling someone how he's gonna get to the bottom of all this. Roll credits. Spoilers I guess but I'm doing you a favor.

Edit: I suppose you're right, fixed.

counterfeitsaint fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Aug 26, 2018

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Don’t let your desire to demonstrate your worldliness get in the way of an explicit request to forgo spoilers

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

The game sort of assumes you've read the tie-in prequel and if you haven't the first two or so hours revolve around events and characters that you haven't met and don't understand. It tries and fails to explain and make you care. Then the game just sort of ends. It's the middle third of a very good game, but because it feels so abruptly chopped at both ends, the whole product is... not that great. Prague in DXMD is one of the best bits of level design I've ever seen, period, but it's also the only city hub, and the non-hub areas don't live up to Prague's design.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah I had much more of an issue with them assuming you'd read a novel to get the backstory first than with how the ending went.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah I had much more of an issue with them assuming you'd read a novel to get the backstory first than with how the ending went.

Didn’t Eidos Montreal want to create some sort of Deus Ex universe with DLC, novels, I think even animated shorts? Like the main game was going to be only a “part” of this universe.

Worked out well! Hell it might have killed off Deus Ex as a franchise (again)