Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

YeahTubaMike posted:

in my 31 years of life, my choices appear to be "have standards & never ever get laid again" or "don't have standards". thank loving christ i don't want any kids

Yeah often it seems the choice is to either die alone and unloved or live with someone you hate and die unloved but not alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
y'all could just try being gay instead.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Worked for me so far

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

i literally did try. i've had sex with two women, but unfortunately i am heterosexual.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Let's be honest here, too, there's plenty of gay people who aren't exactly a catch, either.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

I’m married and I don’t get what the big deal is. I dated until I found someone whose foibles I find cute and who feels the same way about me. Sometimes she annoys me and sometimes I annoy her but I never feel like my life is worse with her in it, and I do my best to support and uplift her.

I have plenty of male and female friends (single) who I know have good values and want earnestly to be a supportive and uplifting partner. I guess they might all be secret perverts but I really do believe that the refrain “there are no good (wo)men left!” has more to do with people not knowing how to communicate effectively than any real crisis of values among my peer group.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

For anyone saying they cant keep a good partner home depot has a sale going on right now on nylon rope

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

burial posted:

It really is beautiful. I mean, I’m a filthy poor, but I’ve skipped far away weddings just because I couldn’t afford to take time off + the cost of travel. If there was a $1500 price tag ON TOP of that, I think anything less than laughing and/or spitting in the person’s face would be charitable.
It's $1500 as a gift, if you want to attend the wedding it's in ARUBA which is $$$ and depending on the time of year can get to $$$$$.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

PetraCore posted:

Let's be honest here, too, there's plenty of gay people who aren't exactly a catch, either.
Horrible people can be horrible people regardless of gender / sexual orientation / race / religion (or lack thereof) / political leanings / anything else.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

(24F) My boyfriend (24M) called my dad’s house a dump and I can’t get over it. Advice?

Just so everyone knows, my boyfriend (‘Nick’) comes from a very well off family. He grew up in a mansion, went to prestigious private schools, traveled the world,etc. Whereas I come from a single dad working two jobs, lived in a small apartment, went to public schools and haven’t traveled much in my lifetime. Nick also does work at his fathers company, but lives in his parents condo in Miami and basically lives off of them.

I have no problem with my boyfriends upbringing, and I appreciate the cultural knowledge he has from traveling the world. He has told me that he plans to stop living off of them once he has access to his trust fund.

Last week I took him to the small town I grew up in to meet my family (grandparents, aunts/uncles/cousins, siblings and my father) and had a huge dinner. Everyone thought he was so sweet and lovely until he said: “ALL of you should come to my family’s vacation house in the spring,” he then muttered “It would be better than this dump.” I don’t think he realized he said it at first, it probably accidentally came out. The whole table went quiet for a good 2 minutes. I saw tears welling up in some people. I excused Nick and I from the table and went into a separate room to talk about it. Our argument got very heated, specifically because he was showing no remorse for what he said. What hurt me the most while arguing is when he said: “It’s not my fault that you’re dad doesnt work hard enough, I was just stating my thoughts out loud.”

By the time we came out of the room, a lot of my family had left. Nick drove away and I spent the night with my dad. My father told me everyone could hear Nick and I’s argrument and just couldn’t take it. My dad worked very hard to provide for me and the fact that my boyfriend made such insensitive comments is appalling. I do believe you have to work hard for money, but not everyone is always lucky. Nick hasn’t said sorry & told me to forget about what he said, but I’ve told him it’s going to take some time.

Am I being dramatic? Should I forgive him? My family hates him now so it would be hard to get them to like him again.

TLDR: I took my boyfriend of a year to my family dinner and he told everyone: “ALL of you should come to my family’s vacation home, it’d be better than this dump.” He shows no remorse and said “It’s not my fault if your dad doesn’t work bark enough.” Am I being dramatic for not tolerating this type of insult to my father? Should I forgive him?

Edit: Besides this one incident, he’s been a great boyfriend

Edit 2: I feel so horrible for having my family meet such an awful person. Is there anyway I can make it up to them?

:thermidor: :thermidor: :thermidor: :thermidor: :thermidor:

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Guys, aren't you being a bit harsh? A fortune teller MADE her have that wedding.

She didn't choose the 60k wedding life, the 60k wedding life chose her.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Boyfriend [25m] texted my [24f] brother [24m] that he's just mad he's banging his sister (me) and he can't do anything about it. What's next?

Together 6 months.

My boyfriend and brother don't get along. They don't like each other but mostly keep it to themselves. However my brother recently texted my boyfriend telling him that even though they didn't get along they could be "allies" in making me happy.

My boyfriend responded that my brother has always had something against him and he suspects he's just angry that "I'm banging your sister and you can't do anything to stop me". And called him soy boy.

My bro copied the texts and sent them to me saying "see what I was telling you!". I showed my boyfriend the texts and he said, well, we ARE banging and he can't stop us. I told him he was being rude and he said yeah whatever your brother is a cry baby.

Then later that night he said he wanted me to come over for sex and I told him only if you apologize to both of us and he said he was just telling the truth he wasn't going to apologize for being honest.

I silenced his texts and haven't looked at them again.

What's next? What should he/I do? Was it out of place of my brother to say what he said? What should happen next?

tl;dr: Bro and boyfriend argued over text and boyfriend made a crude comment. What's the next move? How to move forward?

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

My (35f) brother (39) and I have to decide how much of my mom’s estate to give to my abusive stepfather.

My mother passed away somewhat unexpectedly a few months ago and without a will. My “stepfather” is really my mother’s boyfriend of 25 years, and there is no common law marriage in our state so the entirety of her estate legally belongs to my brother and I.

My mom had a pretty tough life. She lost her first son to crib death, and then my father to AIDS after he cheated on her. My step father was emotionally abusive and provided no support in any way. She seriously thought about leaving him multiple times but she didn’t know how to be alone. All of this lead to decades of substance abuse.

When I was 22, I came out to my mother that my stepfather had sexually abused me as a child. She refused to believe it. When I was 24 her drug problem became a life or death issue, and I had just been diagnosed with cancer, so I moved back home to help both her and I. My step father then became physically abusive towards me, and unfortunately, in my mother’s altered state, she chose him over me and kicked me out.

It took an incredibly long time to repair our relationship. She got sober several times and had been sober for two years until the most recent relapse that lead to her death.

We talked about her writing a will many times (mainly because IIAL) but it never happened. She wavered back and forth as to what she wanted to leave him. She owned a home, which she has provided 77% of the money for and he 23%, and they split the bills 50/50. He made more money than her though, and spent money on nice cars for himself while she struggled paycheck to paycheck. Near the end of her life, she asked for money for health insurance and he instead only offered to pay for 1/3, with my brother and I each paying 1/3.

She told me several times she wanted him to have 1/3 of the house, but shortly before her death she changed her mind. He wrote a will of his own and she found it. In it he left everything to his grandson and nothing to her. When I confronted him about it, he said he only had about $50k in assets so he thought it didn’t matter. We just sold her house for $250k and she had a $25k retirement account for which she made him a beneficiary.

Her death caused him to have a complete mental breakdown, resulting in him being institutionalized. He then went to live with his daughter, but is now in a nursing home. Right after her death, he told us he owned 50% of the house and expected that he would get half of it. After the institutionalization, we told his daughter he would get 1/3 of the house and she understood.

Now that it’s been a few months, my brother has decided he wants to give him back only his “investment” of 23% (rather than the 33% we communicated), which ends up being a $25k difference. My step-sister, who is neither an angel nor anywhere near as bad as him, is currently supporting him but it’s breaking up her marriage. The major problem is that any money we don’t give him ends up on her shoulders and it’s not what we told them to begin with.

A big part of me feels like he doesn’t deserve anything, and if it were just him, I might go that route. But, that’s not what my mother wanted and it would put my stepsister in an even worse position.

I would love advice as to what anyone else would do in this situation.

TL;DR mom died without a will but gave conflicting messages about how much she wanted to leave to my abusive stepfather, and now brother wants to cut down his share.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Smirking_Serpent posted:

My (35f) brother (39) and I have to decide how much of my mom’s estate to give to my abusive stepfather.

When I was 22, I came out to my mother that my stepfather had sexually abused me as a child. She refused to believe it. When I was 24 her drug problem became a life or death issue, and I had just been diagnosed with cancer, so I moved back home to help both her and I. My step father then became physically abusive towards me, and unfortunately, in my mother’s altered state, she chose him over me and kicked me out.

Uuuum leave the rapist $0? How is this hard. He gets nothing, and everyone should be wishing for him to die a horrible death ASAP.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Smirking_Serpent posted:

(24F) My boyfriend (24M) called my dad’s house a dump and I can’t get over it. Advice?

Just so everyone knows, my boyfriend (‘Nick’) comes from a very well off family. He grew up in a mansion, went to prestigious private schools, traveled the world,etc. Whereas I come from a single dad working two jobs, lived in a small apartment, went to public schools and haven’t traveled much in my lifetime. Nick also does work at his fathers company, but lives in his parents condo in Miami and basically lives off of them.

I have no problem with my boyfriends upbringing, and I appreciate the cultural knowledge he has from traveling the world. He has told me that he plans to stop living off of them once he has access to his trust fund.

Last week I took him to the small town I grew up in to meet my family (grandparents, aunts/uncles/cousins, siblings and my father) and had a huge dinner. Everyone thought he was so sweet and lovely until he said: “ALL of you should come to my family’s vacation house in the spring,” he then muttered “It would be better than this dump.” I don’t think he realized he said it at first, it probably accidentally came out. The whole table went quiet for a good 2 minutes. I saw tears welling up in some people. I excused Nick and I from the table and went into a separate room to talk about it. Our argument got very heated, specifically because he was showing no remorse for what he said. What hurt me the most while arguing is when he said: “It’s not my fault that you’re dad doesnt work hard enough, I was just stating my thoughts out loud.”

By the time we came out of the room, a lot of my family had left. Nick drove away and I spent the night with my dad. My father told me everyone could hear Nick and I’s argrument and just couldn’t take it. My dad worked very hard to provide for me and the fact that my boyfriend made such insensitive comments is appalling. I do believe you have to work hard for money, but not everyone is always lucky. Nick hasn’t said sorry & told me to forget about what he said, but I’ve told him it’s going to take some time.

Am I being dramatic? Should I forgive him? My family hates him now so it would be hard to get them to like him again.

TLDR: I took my boyfriend of a year to my family dinner and he told everyone: “ALL of you should come to my family’s vacation home, it’d be better than this dump.” He shows no remorse and said “It’s not my fault if your dad doesn’t work bark enough.” Am I being dramatic for not tolerating this type of insult to my father? Should I forgive him?

Edit 2: I feel so horrible for having my family meet such an awful person. Is there anyway I can make it up to them?

No.

She should marry him.

She should make him pay for the wedding and throw some Aruba wedding poo poo but this time his family pays for airfare and hotels for everyone. $60k? More like $600k.

Refuse a pre-nup agreement, or at least have the official marriage cert signed in a state that would refuse a pre-nup.

Stay married for a few years, maybe have a kid (maybe not, privileged rear end in a top hat may be genetic), wait until he is off on his own spending his trust fund.

Divorce and take half of the trust fund.

Check with an appropriate attorney to see if you can take half of the trust fund. Ask /r/legaladvice/ for bestmost hilarious results.

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Aug 26, 2018

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

CannonFodder posted:

No.

She should marry him.

She should make him pay for the wedding and throw some Aruba wedding poo poo but this time his family pays for airfare and hotels for everyone. $60k? More like $600k.

Refuse a pre-nup agreement, or at least have the official marriage cert signed in a state that would refuse a pre-nup.

Stay married for a few years, maybe have a kid (maybe not, privileged rear end in a top hat may be genetic), wait until he is off on his own spending his trust fund.

Divorce and take half of the trust fund.

Check with an appropriate attorney to see if you can take half of the trust fund. Ask /r/legaladvice/ for bestmost hilarious results.

he should hook up with the other avatar of capitalism from a few pages back

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Mister Olympus posted:

he should hook up with the other avatar of capitalism from a few pages back
Yeah, do that, and then their spawn will sing the song which ends the world. Not with a bang but with a buyout.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

oh my god

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Depressio111117 posted:

I joined the Facebook group that Twitter person hinted at. Most of it’s pretty mundane, but me oh my -

Why some women saddle themselves with loving troglodytes will always mystify me

sigh....

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

CheesyDog posted:

My girlfriend loves my poetic talking in bed. Does it have a name in sex? (self.sex)

submitted 2 days ago * by throwawaypidbelly1

quote:

It definitely feels like a romance novel.

I met this girl in January when I was super depressed and suicidal. I was an incel (30/M) whom was still a virgin and I never had a girlfriend before. Initially, we were just friends with her. She wanted me to be happy and told me what girls like in men. Told me that I have to dress things that fits my body (I was using my 5 years old extra large saggy jeans and such), switch to contact lenses instead of using glasses, get my teeth fixed, change my posture and stand straight, keep eye contact with women when talking, made me spend some money on male cologne and perfumes. (I was spraying deodorant on my clothes...) She motivated me so much to hit the gym. I built some muscles and lost like 30 kilograms in 5 months. I started getting a lot of attention from women which boosted my self confidence to sky.

She was also very depressed at that point, having a lot of relationship issues with her abusive boyfriend. He had anger issues, rejected going to therapist. She was really scared of him even to initiate talk because he could get angry for no reason and start throwing stuff at her. I listened to her issues and tried to give the best advice as I can. I was the one drying her tears and telling her that everything will be alright. I always hugged her and promised that she is capable of doing everything, I have faith in her and she will be very happy in the future.

Eventually we became closer. Placed each other as top priority on our lives and worked on each other's happiness. We talked about our deepest secrets/fears openly, supported each other, became best friends and established a great foundation of trust. Promised each other that we will never lie to each other and never let each other down. After a while, we fell for each other and "I love you."'s were exchanged.

We started doing more romantic stuff, like leaving easter eggs in each other's houses, cuddling, hugging each other for minutes, writing each other poems, never going to bed without saying "Sweet dreams" each night, talking on phone for hours every day or hanging out together. We also had a talk about what we expect from a relationship and what would be deal breakers. We also decided to follow the correct things our parent's relationship. (e.g Her father told her that he would never go to bed if there was a conflict with her mother. Now, each time we have a conflict, we make sure to fix it before sleep, no matter what.) Our relationship, family values, financial plans etc. are all compatible.

I had so much fear about sexual stuff as I was a virgin and I really hoped we would be compatible on that part too. She also had only one partner so far and were super disappointed about him. She told me she barely had orgasm because guy never paid attention to her or worked on foreplay, even though she is pretty sensitive and has high libido. Turns out, we are super compatible in bed! :) She kept coming entire night and asked what kind of dark magic I was casting on her, as she got off herself without any touch while she was doing handjob on me :) It feels like our skins has a perfect match. We cannot keep our hands off each other. We just want to hug and touch each other and stop the time.

I really hope I won't disappoint her and I'm really happy that I kept my virginity so long for her. That's why I'm trying to improve in bed. And yes, I can last really long in bed and go until morning as my masturbation habits for 30 years probably gave me death's grip. I'm not sure if I should try to cure it though, haha. For now we promised each other that we won't masturbate, both have sex together instead as it's more healthy way and allows us to create a deeper bond.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I [21F] just found out my partner [36M] of nearly 2 years is hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt.

I wish I was exaggerating. I'm honestly at a loss. I met my partner at work and we've been happily together for nearly two years. We see eye to eye on nearly everything - except for money.

We actually just got back from a vacation, which is a luxury I haven't had in about 3 years. It was wonderful but it was a bit of a stretch for money, so once we got back home we sat down to make a budget. I tend to be pretty frugal and not much of my money goes towards unnecessary spending, but I'm going to college and until recently have been working minimum wage jobs. He has had spreadsheets and plans in place for a while that I've gotten glances at, but when we were making the budget together I learned he had nearly $50k in credit card debt over several nearly maxed out cards and around $150k in debt from a house he bought while he lived in a different state (this is currently being rented out).

Nearly all of his money each month goes towards just the minimum payments on these debts - and that's with my monthly contribution that covers about half of our bills. I usually pay for groceries and do the shopping, and I already buy the cheapest food I can while staying healthy by price shopping and such. About 30% of my paycheck goes to savings when I don't have tuition to pay and I have 0 debt so far. He pays off his cards, but usually just enough to buy electronics for constant home projects. He talks about some day in the next couple of years moving into a new (bigger) home and I was on that dreamboat with him until this happened.

I'm not sure how to discuss this with him and I'm not sure if posting here or r/personalfinance is more appropriate, but I don't know how to proceed without jeopardizing my financial health or our relationship. I would help him pay these debts but I'm starting nursing school in a few months and I need to save every penny I can right now.

TL;DR: My partner and I have very different takes on money but otherwise get along very well. How can we work on his $200,000 in debt without ruining our relationship?

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

CannonFodder posted:

It's $1500 as a gift, if you want to attend the wedding it's in ARUBA which is $$$ and depending on the time of year can get to $$$$$.

Yeah, that’s what I meant? If I could afford to go, I couldn’t also afford to just also toss that much at it to ensure there was something to go TO. And really, the way it’s presented is a pretty significant part of the wow. We’ve covered that though.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Dear Penthouse,
I cleaned up and did well. This is all fiction.

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

Smirking_Serpent posted:

the guillotine would be too good for this prick

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Jesus loving Christ.

:ughh:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I [21F] just found out my partner [36M] of nearly 2 years is hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt.

I wish I was exaggerating. I'm honestly at a loss. I met my partner at work and we've been happily together for nearly two years. We see eye to eye on nearly everything - except for money.

We actually just got back from a vacation, which is a luxury I haven't had in about 3 years. It was wonderful but it was a bit of a stretch for money, so once we got back home we sat down to make a budget. I tend to be pretty frugal and not much of my money goes towards unnecessary spending, but I'm going to college and until recently have been working minimum wage jobs. He has had spreadsheets and plans in place for a while that I've gotten glances at, but when we were making the budget together I learned he had nearly $50k in credit card debt over several nearly maxed out cards and around $150k in debt from a house he bought while he lived in a different state (this is currently being rented out).

Nearly all of his money each month goes towards just the minimum payments on these debts - and that's with my monthly contribution that covers about half of our bills. I usually pay for groceries and do the shopping, and I already buy the cheapest food I can while staying healthy by price shopping and such. About 30% of my paycheck goes to savings when I don't have tuition to pay and I have 0 debt so far. He pays off his cards, but usually just enough to buy electronics for constant home projects. He talks about some day in the next couple of years moving into a new (bigger) home and I was on that dreamboat with him until this happened.

I'm not sure how to discuss this with him and I'm not sure if posting here or r/personalfinance is more appropriate, but I don't know how to proceed without jeopardizing my financial health or our relationship. I would help him pay these debts but I'm starting nursing school in a few months and I need to save every penny I can right now.

TL;DR: My partner and I have very different takes on money but otherwise get along very well. How can we work on his $200,000 in debt without ruining our relationship?

Isn't '150k in debt from a house' just a not particularly large mortgage?

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

feedmegin posted:

Isn't '150k in debt from a house' just a not particularly large mortgage?

Yeah is he renting it out for less than the mortgage payment or something? 50k in cc debt is a truckload and should probably be the main focal point of the post but I'm more curious about the mortgage. Did the OP clarify in the comments how much he's renting it for/if he could just sell it or if it's like super underwater? Does he have family living there or something?

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Credit card debt is death by financial cancer.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

CannonFodder posted:

Dear Penthouse,
I cleaned up and did well. This is all fiction.

be a woman tonight, Julia.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

Smirking_Serpent posted:

He has told me that he plans to stop living off of them once he has access to his trust fund.

“It’s not my fault that you’re dad doesnt work hard enough, I was just stating my thoughts out loud.”

rich_kids.txt

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Yeah 50k CC debt is bad. 150k mortgage on a rental is... Not bad at all.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
A bit weird given it seems to be same sex

Admirer [20s M] asked to start “courting” me [23 M] in an very formal fashion and I’m not sure how to respond?

quote:

u/shantpostagain927
Right, so this is my first post on here and I have yet to get the hang of how everything works. I’m not exactly the type to ask for advice in general, I can hardly ask this sort of thing to any of my coworkers. I’m doing this out of sheer desperation. My only saving grace here is that this account will never ever be used again.

Anyway, I’ve known this man—let’s just call him “C”—for a long time. Well, briefly. I met him a long time ago and he just now came back into my life relatively recently. It was a bit of a shock, but we get on rather well, considering the circumstances of how we met in the first place. I’m not going to delve into details since I want to keep things brief and I have a tendency to go on a bit.

I would feel fairly comfortable in saying that we’re friends and I don’t make friends easily. We talk a lot, we banter a lot, he treats me with respect, which is more than I can say for most of the people I know, really. This Thursday, C showed up at my flat all prim and proper and it was obvious he put a lot of effort in. He gave me a wooden box, hand-carved, by the way, and lots of other trinkets, including a bottle of alcohol, which is always appreciated.

Then, C lets me know that he wants my permission to be courted. That’s right. Courted. His words. I’m rather old-fashioned myself, but I must admit, I almost laughed, but I was worried it would be misconstrued if I did so I refrained myself from it. I was taken aback by the whole thing so I told him I would have to think about it and he seemed all right with that—again, he is always quite respectful of my level of personal comfort.

He expected a written letter of my decision. I actually laughed, then, but told him I would send a text message, instead. He seemed fine with that.

Onto the dilemma I’m in: What exactly do I do next?

TL;DR: Admirer asked my permission to court him after giving me gifts. We get on well and I enjoy his company. I told him I’d text with my answer and I don’t know what to do or how to word it best.

Also the PCOS thing I posted earlier - the friend knew because he is the wife’s surgeon. So nice Patient confidentiality violation.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Smirking_Serpent posted:

when can we just start beating the poo poo out of these brats?

Ligament
Jun 12, 2018
Biscuit Hider

Milotic posted:

we talked about it to death (pun only slightly intended)

:imunfunny:

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Milotic posted:

Also the PCOS thing I posted earlier - the friend knew because he is the wife’s surgeon. So nice Patient confidentiality violation.

Nah, he said his buddy and his wife are coworkers, probably in a hospital setting from the "they're in surgery" thing. If she does have PCOS, and he knows, it's entirely possible he knows because he's been snooping in medical files. Otherwise, the guy is full of poo poo.

Also, I'm not a doctor but I do have PCOS, and as far as PCOS's effects on fertility go, it's more just "it's harder to get pregnant, and once you are, things can be higher risk," but I feel like this guy read that and has leapt right to MY WIFE IS BARREN AND LIED TO ME, even if that's not what that said at all.

The other weird thing is that a miscarriage at around 32 weeks is, well. That's early, and PCOS brings a risk of premature birth, but there's also a 98% survival rate for 32 weeks. I wonder if this was more of a "the baby is dead and this is a stillbirth" versus "hormonal weirdness caused premature labour so the baby died."

Honestly, it sounds like these two have gone through something really painful and the dude is grasping for a Reason that their child died, and trying to blame his wife. This poo poo sometimes just happens, though. It's no one's fault.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Smirking_Serpent posted:

He has told me that he plans to stop living off of them once he has access to his trust fund.

This was apparently said without any trace of irony.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

he had nearly $50k in credit card debt over several nearly maxed out cards and around $150k in debt from a house he bought while he lived in a different state (this is currently being rented out).

While $50k in credit card debt isn't good at all (severity depends on his income), $150k of mortgage on an investment property, assuming it's cash flow positive, isn't really an issue.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Motronic posted:

This was apparently said without any trace of irony.

While $50k in credit card debt isn't good at all (severity depends on his income), $150k of mortgage on an investment property, assuming it's cash flow positive, isn't really an issue.

Even if it's cash flow negative it's not anywhere near the same as unsecured debt.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Hellblazer187 posted:

Even if it's cash flow negative it's not anywhere near the same as unsecured debt.

Of course not, but it could fall anywhere between "solid investment property" to "cash flow negative pit of deferred maintenance with an underwater mortgage being rented to people using it as a meth lab." The poster seems to have no idea, so we wouldn't be able to determine this either.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

A houseguest didn’t inform us he conceal carried and my toddler got his gun and shot it at her sister.

(Indiana) My wife’s cousin’s daughter comes through town once a year for work, and we usually let her stay with us (myself, my wife, our kids 2&5) on our pullout couch.

Between this year and last she got engaged to someone in her company, so she asked if she could bring her fiancé (let’s call him Brent) to stay the night with us as well. We told her that was fine. At no point did she mention Brent conceal carried a firearm, or ask us if it was okay to bring into our house.

So they were planning on staying Thursday through the end of the weekend, a total of four nights.

The first day was fine, everyone got along, Brent, my cousin, and the kids had fun together.

Friday evening Brent drifted off on the (folded up, normal shaped, non-bed) couch. My two year old loves to climb on the back of the couch, I went to pull her down because Brent was asleep, but he woke up briefly and assured me it was fine.

Fifteen minutes later I stepped into the yard to take a phone call and my wife was in the restroom. My two year old somehow got the gun from Brent’s person and fired it. (How secure could it have been on him if my kid could get it so fast, and without waking him?)

Thankfully, no one was hurt. The bullet pierced the ground inches away from where my older daughter was playing. My two year old dropped the gun in shock.

I’m so grateful it wasn’t anything worse, I’m also irate that this man brought a gun around my children without informing me. Is it legal to conceal carry on someone’s personal property without their consent? And are there standards for how you wear the gun so it can’t be taken so easily by kids or criminals or whoever else might want to get at it?

I asked them to leave at that point, and they wrote saying I should comp them for the hotel they had to book. No offer to repair the damage to our floor, or apology from Brent about allowing his gun to get into the hands of a two year old. His fiancé seemed apologetic, not to the magnitude we’d hoped...about to the degree of someone who spilled grape juice on the carpet. But we’re reevaluating how sorry she actually was, because she sent the email saying we should comp their hotel rooms.

I don’t even really care about the damage to the floor, I just want to know if there could be legal ramifications for his failing to inform us he’s brought a firearm into the home and therefore knowingly endangering my kids. They were right out with a gun in the middle of our living room for two days.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

tl;dr a distant relative and her fiancé “Brent” were staying the weekend with us and our toddler children, and Brent did not inform us he conceal carried. He fell asleep on the couch and my daughter got his gun and fired it inches away from her sister (no one was harmed, thank God).

No real apology, and after I said we’d prefer they stayed somewhere else, they wrote asking us to comp their hotel rooms. Can I take action against Brent for not informing us he was bringing a gun on our private property and not taking proper precautions with it around my kids?

Edit: formatting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

(CA) Mother called wedding vendors and cancelled all our contracts/agreements. Any grounds to at least get the deposits back from vendors?

My batshit mother, who did not approve of my marriage and is now permanently cut out of my life, called all the vendors for our wedding and cancelled. We did not learn of this until the night before. She got everything: The venue, catering, flowers, photographer, the cake, etc.

The day was a disaster and my wife an unconsolable mess, but all that aside, the vendors are refusing to at least give us back our deposits.

My mother did not have any authorization to cancel our agreements on our behalf and since my wife and I did not cancel, but still did not get what we contracted for, we would at the very least like out deposits back.

Quite frankly, we want it ALL back. This is several thousands of dollars we lost.

Do we have any recourse against the vendors? My mom is broke as hell, so even if pursing her were an option, I know I'd never see a cent.