Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Gloomy Rube posted:

Am I forgetting any? Is /Stay Night actually reasonably obtainable these days or do you still need to import?

Just download it illegally and throw some cash into the FGO gacha pit as compensation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The proper answer for how to get into the series proper is still to play the original Fate Stay Night VN and the answer to how to play it is still to download it because there’s still no official release or translation 14 years on and there probably never will be as long as type moon or whoever continues to massively overvalue the IP of the single game and ask prices no US publisher will pay.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Ledgy posted:

It should be noted that only Fuyuki's grail had that "all assassins must be hassan" rule, though of course it ain't followed in apocrypha either
Maybe, just maybe, apocrypha really is pretty bad official fanfiction

I mean it's literally called "apocrypha".

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
So I'm gathering the best time to really get down and dirty and farm currency for the shop is when the EX mission that gives out feathers like candy drops, right?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the stupid rules the original F/SN had like 'all assassins are hassans' and 'no eastern servants' were probably more just writing constraints nasu came up with to differntiate himself from makai tensho, which was like 90% ninjas assassinating people by volume, so them being abandoned approximately seventeen minutes into writing f/sn makes sense

heck even after all these years you can still see fate/ swerving just to avoid comparison to makai tensho. yagyu jubei is one of the main characters of it, so in shimosa there's a yagyu and everyone's going 'yo it's yagyu!!!' and there's a big hype up and then it's jubei's dad, yagyu munemori

Endorph fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Aug 25, 2018

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Bakanogami posted:

The proper answer for how to get into the series proper is still to play the original Fate Stay Night VN and the answer to how to play it is still to download it because there’s still no official release or translation 14 years on and there probably never will be as long as type moon or whoever continues to massively overvalue the IP of the single game and ask prices no US publisher will pay.

For those that don't want to deal with :filez:, seorin's LP is still up and he goes thru every route and ending and the only thing you'd be missing is the voice acting.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall

Space Flower posted:

Yes, that's Apocrypha's unforgivable sin, discarding a rule that no one has cared about for a decade. loooool

Apocrypha's unforgivable sin is that its pretty bad

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

halokiller posted:

For those that don't want to deal with :filez:, seorin's LP is still up and he goes thru every route and ending and the only thing you'd be missing is the voice acting.

In some ways it was more fun just reading through that LP. He also has videos of the parts you actually want to see.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
It's still pretty obviously Makai Tensho tho

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

halokiller posted:

Counterpoint: don't do this. Seorin's LP was good, but the voice acting and music is a major part of F/SN. You miss a big chunk of the experience just reading the script. Not to mention there are a few scenes that only work in the original VN, like the brain damage scenes in Heaven's Feel.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Gologle posted:

It's still pretty obviously Makai Tensho tho
yeah but theres ad ifference between 'makai tensho inspired' and 'literally makai tensho'

Ledgy posted:

Apocrypha's unforgivable sin is that its pretty bad
fate/apocrypha at least has some likable characters, good action animation, and female characters that exist to do literally anything other than be owned by men both literally and metaphorically. its got massvie issues, like a bloated cast and a boring lead, but it's clear it at least gets what's appealing about fate and is trying to bring it out. and mordred is just straight up a fantastic, vital addition to the 'canon' and justifies the whole thing.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

plus zero was one thing since it was by nasu's friend but as the first of the big 'spinoff' things and as something that started as an online game itself its pretty clear that f/apo is a proto-fgo, and the fact that it is one is basically referenced in f/sn what with how prominent a lot of the f/apo cast is in the story. part of that is probably the desire to give them more spotlight, but still.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Endorph posted:

fate/apocrypha at least has some likable characters, good action animation, and female characters that exist to do literally anything other than be owned by men both literally and metaphorically. its got massvie issues, like a bloated cast and a boring lead, but it's clear it at least gets what's appealing about fate and is trying to bring it out. and mordred is just straight up a fantastic, vital addition to the 'canon' and justifies the whole thing.

If it had just focused on Modred and Shiki, it would have been perfect.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Vengarr posted:

Counterpoint: don't do this. Seorin's LP was good, but the voice acting and music is a major part of F/SN.

Well, the music is. We all did fine without voice acting for three years or so, though, so I wouldn't call it an indispensable part of the experience - just a nice afterthought.

No reason to skip it if you have the option, of course.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall

Endorph posted:

Yeah too bad the good female character (mostly singular, yeah) is side content to the (2? I still don't really get Semiramis' and Amakusa's deal was) most boring and forced romance thing fate did, which I wouldn't exactly classify as good treatment of female characters, but I definitely agree it's already better than zero in that regard yeah

Ledgy fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Aug 25, 2018

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Astolfo was good. Mordred was good. Spartacus was there.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Achilles and Chiron were good imo.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
Spartacus left us way too soon...

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014

Dawgstar posted:

If it had just focused on Modred and Shiki, it would have been perfect.

Unintentionally hilarious master/servant pairing.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

marathon Stairmaster sesh posted:

RIP my dream of a Devil May Cry collab that is just an excuse to have Dante Alighieri as both Ruler and Avenger.

Nothing stopping Dante from being a Servant. I mean, this is the Fate universe so he probably literally went to Hell and back.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
wondering if Apocrypha would've been more fun had Kintoki, Fake Benkei, George and David made the cut, especially since I think Fran, Karna, and Achilles weren''t that great. not sure if David would've been been better off replacing Chiron or Atalante in that situation

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mean the issue is that fapo already has too many characters. fran, karna, and achilles all have decent material in fgo (or ccc in karna's case) so they aren't bad characters, and even if they were, replacing them with better characters wouldnt change the fact that they have maybe 17 minutes of screentime between the three of them.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The problem with Apoc is that originally they planned to make a big online video game, but the plan fell through. Apocrypha was just them trying to make use of the tons of character designs they’d already created and leaked to the public, even if it meant further twisting established rules, even if it meant having a huge unwieldy cast.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Not that it couldn't probably have been done better, but yeah, reading about Apo's origins makes it easy to imagine it being a matter of trying to cram an online game premise and big load of characters into a more traditional story structure and medium.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
It would have probably taken two writers working together (one for Red, one for Black) to actually do the concept justice. As it was, the poor bastard they dumped the story outline on immediately dumped everything in favor of a simpler story he could actually handle.

Apocrypha done right would probably be the length of a Game of Thrones novel.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Rorahusky posted:

My interpretation is that Amakusa originally didn't have any desire for the grail, but during the course of the war, he grew to care deeply for the Einzbern master, so when she got herself killed, he concocted the idea of gaining the grail in order to fix the world that saw someone like her killed.

As for why he continues to be summoned as a Ruler, well... the Throne of Heroes doesn't exactly do Takebacks when it comes to assigning Classes. Once he qualifies for a class, that class is permanently unlocked for him even if at a later point, his goals/abilities shift to disqualify him from that class.

Unfortunately no, Apocrypha itself completely counters that interpretation. As in the novels themselves give you this:

“So, God. Give me another chance. Next time, I won’t lose sight of the bigger picture. I will eliminate all obstacles, enemies and hardships in my way. Next time, I will obtain all the good in the world. A world where everyone is happy, everyone is good, and everyone is perfect. I will exterminate all evil and create a new, pure world.”

as being Amakusa's thoughts right before his death. Thoughts like this are like directly antithetical to what Rulers are supposed to be about - Jeanne and Martha in particular basically mention stuff along these lines, that while they might have some regrets there's nothing in their life they'd actually go back and change. I'm not as familiar with Fate Holmes, but going by the Doyle version I can easily see him thinking along similar lines.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
Holmes being a Ruler is more of a safety precaution: since he's a super detective he'd legit threaten to solve all of the mysteries in the world. This is a problem when it's Nasuverse and Mystery is the fuel that makes the plot run, so he was put into that class which...for some reason prevents him from doing that

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Lord Koth posted:

The problem with Amakusa in particular is that while Fate does break the rules all the time, there's always a reason given. Like, basically every rulebreaking in FSN actually is explained - the various screwy things regarding the grail in the 4th and 5th wars (corrupting wishes into their most destructive form, summoning anti-heroes, etc) were mostly due to the Einzberns accidentally corrupting it with Angry Man; Rin managing more control then she should have with command seals being due to her incredibly high magical power (assuming Archer was even telling the truth). Another example, Medea kinda summoning a Servant herself, was more her bending the rules rather than actually breaking them.

Meanwhile, while the Einzberns were again trying to cheat in the 3rd in the Apocrypha continuity - they just tried to summon a Ruler instead of an Avenger - any other break with the system should have an explanation given. The specific requirements to be eligible to be summoned as a Ruler are to have literally no desire for the Grail whatsoever. We are never given a reason, or even an inference, how they somehow managed to fit someone who didn't even meet the base requirement of the class into that container in the first place. Especially since were they even aiming for Amakusa in particular, or just a Ruler in general? That actually is a huge break with how all the competently written Type-Moon functions, even if it too is breaking rules all over the place.

Simple. Shirou didn't desire the Grail initially, but desired it after Irisviel's mom died because he cared about his Master and that put him on the road to try to Save the Human Race from themselves.

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Sssh! Be vewy vewy quiet. It's wabbit season.

Gyra_Solune posted:

Holmes being a Ruler is more of a safety precaution: since he's a super detective he'd legit threaten to solve all of the mysteries in the world. This is a problem when it's Nasuverse and Mystery is the fuel that makes the plot run, so he was put into that class which...for some reason prevents him from doing that

Specifically Holmes is a ruler not to keep him from solving all the mystery: he does that anyway, but that's fine. His knowing hurts nothing. His job is to make sure the chaldea master doesn't get to know mysteries they shouldn't, and to make sure to give them just enough information and not break poo poo worse than they're trying to save them from, because chaldea has enough power at this point to make even Reality sit up and say "wait wtf"

Remember, Holmes knows everything, but is also an rear end in a top hat and won't say anything if he doesn't feel like it.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Isn't Amakusa's original class supposed to be Caster, and the Einzberns simply tampered with his class container to make him a Ruler when they summoned him?

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

Simple. Shirou didn't desire the Grail initially, but desired it after Irisviel's mom died because he cared about his Master and that put him on the road to try to Save the Human Race from themselves.

Look up two posts from yours.

BlondRobin posted:

Specifically Holmes is a ruler not to keep him from solving all the mystery: he does that anyway, but that's fine. His knowing hurts nothing. His job is to make sure the chaldea master doesn't get to know mysteries they shouldn't, and to make sure to give them just enough information and not break poo poo worse than they're trying to save them from, because chaldea has enough power at this point to make even Reality sit up and say "wait wtf"

Remember, Holmes knows everything, but is also an rear end in a top hat and won't say anything if he doesn't feel like it.

Yeah, that makes sense for Holmes.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

some fresh saber lily content for the thread

https://twitter.com/Cobrahhhhh/status/1033493106396733440?s=19

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Artoria deserves being beaten up for being a terrible parent to Mordred though so I'm okay with this.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

So my journey (whaling) to get Illya has come to an end, and here are my results:

CEs:
Enough 5 star event CEs to limit break it
Enough 4 star event CEs create 5 limit broken versions
Enough 3 star " "

Old Servants:
Medea Lily NP 1 to 5, plus 3 extra copies to sell. I did not expect my first NP5 4 star that wasn't free to be a story locked servant
Tamamo Cat NP3 to 4

New Servants:
Helena NP4
Nursery Rhyme NP5
Drake NP1 (I was not happy to see her)
Tamamo NP1 (What a spook she was)
Illya NP1

Man, it's a good thing I've been saving money up for months in preparation for her and Merlin, because it took a while.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Artoria deserves being beaten up for being a terrible parent to Mordred though so I'm okay with this.

Mordred loves Angel Father tho

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Artoria wasn't that bad of a dad, considering the circumstances. You can't blame her, Mordred is dumb as poo poo.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Gologle posted:

Artoria wasn't that bad of a dad, considering the circumstances. You can't blame her, Mordred is dumb as poo poo.

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh little bit of both

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.
Also you shouldn't beat people up for things they haven't done yet.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Ledgy posted:

It should be noted that only Fuyuki's grail had that "all assassins must be hassan" rule, though of course it ain't followed in apocrypha either
Maybe, just maybe, apocrypha really is pretty bad official fanfiction

What they say in heavens feel isn't that the Grail says only Hassan's can be assassin but that being a successful assassin in general is antithetical to the idea of a heroic spirit and only the Hassan bridges that gap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Shinjobi posted:

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh little bit of both

Definitely both and also it's fine because Artoria can never be a good dad and Mordred already has good dad Kairi anyways