Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

BattleMaster posted:

I can't tell whether it is sped up a lot or very irresponsible.

It's even more irresponsible than it looks. Most of the highest tier cars were flimsy space frame affairs, optimized for weight savings and made of light but highly flammable materials like aluminum, plastics and carbon fiber. There were very few mandatory security features, aside from roll cages (that some teams were rumored to have faked to save weight, or used as - illegal - additional fuel tanks) and extinguishers (a team was rumored to race with a disguised NOS system in place of real extinguishers), and notably not including self-sealing fuel tanks. The cars had poor suspensions and transmissions for modern standards, and stringent limits on engine displacement, which manufacturers compensated with insane turbocharging setups that managed to extract somewhere in the neighborhood of five or six hundred horsepower from sub-2 liter engines (there were no power, boost or air intake limits), which in turn made the cars extremely fast (thanks to their short gears, they could do 0-120 in under 5 seconds - on gravel) and extremely hard to drive (turbocharged engines are very slow to respond to throttle changes, the larger the turbine the slower). On top of it all, rallies are run on regular roads, often mountain or country roads, rather than specially designed tracks, with all the dangers that it implies

That wasn't even the craziest kind of rally racing that had been seen until then, it was just notable for being mainstream and immensely popular. Looking at relatively minor regional events, in the 70s they allowed one-of-a-kind track cars to compete in rallies - where they handily wiped the floor with "proper" rally cars - after :effort: conversion to "road legal" status (rally cars must move between stages under their own power, driving on public roads) like slapping some headlights and temporary license plates on them:

Trivia: it's little-known and it sounds unlikely, but the legendary Ferrari F40, the first Ferrari supercar, started as a hastily thrown together prototype rally car, that raced exactly once, did great, but ultimately retired:

It had a long way to go, both in the mechanical and looks departments, but that ugly duckling eventually became the Ferrari GTO, which spawned the F40 and made history

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

drat, safety systems replaced with fuel/etc. is pretty unnerving.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Jesus Christ, that all sounds like an elaborate suicide plan.

Thank you for the information, I'm just, wow. Why would anyone rally race?

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

StrixNebulosa posted:

Adrenalin.
Fun.
Showing skill.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

StrixNebulosa posted:

its loving cool

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Rally racing is the best racing. It's like seeing your drunk friend speed through the country, if your drunk friend was one of the best drivers in the world. Plus I like that the fans are absolutely insane and will run out onto the course for pictures/to help in a crash. That kind of interaction in motorsport doesn't really exist anywhere else.

edit:
Plus it has the coolest cars.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
It doesn’t exist in other kinds of car racing because if you run out onto the track at an F1 race and get hit by a low, pointy car going 300km/h they’ll have to identify your body by taking a roll call and figuring out who’s missing, like at the 1977 South African Grand Prix.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Pirate Radar posted:

It doesn’t exist in other kinds of car racing because if you run out onto the track at an F1 race and get hit by a low, pointy car going 300km/h they’ll have to identify your body by taking a roll call and figuring out who’s missing, like at the 1977 South African Grand Prix.

Your fire extinguisher will also crush a driver's head.

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

My friend wrote a book about a fan fic internet cult leader who claims to be soul bonded to Neo from the Matrix, Angel from Buffy, Hannibal Lecter, Kurt Cobain, Fox Mulder and really just about every major pop culture figure of the late 20th century. It's a wild read. There's a long chain of custody but currently they can't sell the book because the process of writing it kicked up a hornet's nest from another internet cult that worships Rassilon from Doctor Who.

I figured this thread would get something out of it. Trigger warning for sexual violence (the references are not super explicit but come up a few times)

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

BattleMaster posted:

I can't tell whether it is sped up a lot or very irresponsible.

Group B cars were not powered by petrol.

They were fueled with human souls.

lt_kennedy
Sep 2, 2007
Needs Moar Race

Unbelievably Fat Man posted:

My friend wrote a book Holygoddamn

Almost done reading this and I just wish this could have been written by someone who loses some of their - I guess cred? Reliability as a narrator when they too say they're into the whole "I'm a multiple system" brain rot but on the other hand it helps to be able to naviagte this demented jungle gym of mental gymnastics that would fry and outside looking in's brain.

I can only just parse it myself as I've been a rubbernecker non poop toucher of this diarrhea ballet for years now. Watching is the be at way to spot budding nonsense in groups I manage that also tend to attract broke brains as well as regular folk who wanna do hobbies but not sell their souls to Scientology 2: This time with no money and fat nerds running poverty gulags ala the FF7 Haus or The SnapeWivesSaga.

I would like to see this co-authored with an establish psych writer/author with intrest in Cultic and High Control Groups studies. I do a bit of counseling with youth and the like who are going through these personality cults or ideology extreams (black listing and doxxing for not being woke enough or have made a small non pc mistake years ago that will forever taint you going forward)

Having to translate this poo poo to the paid psych/counselors/soc. Workers when a person comes in crisis mode to services and they're older folk who dont know what the hell a headmate is or are able to understand the IMPORTANCE of their slash head cannon with reguards to their identity ect. Self diagnosis with DID by bipolar/boarderline young folk is a "trend" in places and it's exhausting to deal with.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Your post gave me a headache.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

lt_kennedy posted:

Almost done reading this and I just wish this could have been written by someone who loses some of their - I guess cred? Reliability as a narrator when they too say they're into the whole "I'm a multiple system" brain rot but on the other hand it helps to be able to naviagte this demented jungle gym of mental gymnastics that would fry and outside looking in's brain.

Okay, let’s try to unpack this first part. You wish that the person who wrote it was someone who seems less reliable when they say they buy into the Multiple System thing. Instead they are a person who still seems credible when they say that. What?

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
This is how it predictably ended:

Toivonen, rumored to be sick with the flu, ran his car off road at the 1986 San Marino rally, where it went up in flames killing him and his co-pilot. Group B cars were banned from rallies at the end of the season, and plans for a hypothetical group S, that would have switched rallies from touring car to prototype racing, were cancelled and never talked about again, despite the fact that several manufacturers already had working prototypes and would have accepted a power limiter as a compromise

Group B, while technically a legal category in all FIA events, never was popular or competitive outside of rally racing, and so its banning from rallies basically killed any interest in it. The top category in rallies became group A, basically identical to group B, except cars had more stringent weight limits, they had to have at least 4 seats, and had to be produced in 2500 units or more (vs just 250 for group B). All of these limitations served to "tame" the category somewhat: higher weights meant slower speeds, 4 seats meant rally cars could never be short wheelbase mid-engine spinning tops again (nor utes/pickups, although only two models were ever homologated: the Subaru Brat and the Peugeot 504. And no, the Brat's external, rear facing seats didn't count), and 2500 units minimum meant rally cars could have a chance to be the road cars they were supposed to be in spirit, instead of assembly line race cars with license plates

But in the end, the only reason it wasn't a repeat of group B insanity was that group A had been greatly neglected by nearly all manufacturers, specifically kept underdeveloped and given to privateers so that they couldn't steal points from the works teams, and only Lancia had a good group A car, the Delta Integrale, with which they handily won the next six championships. Before technological development could push cars into insanely unsafe territory again, the FIA introduced a mandatory air intake restrictor, that limited engine power to about 300 HP. Group A eventually evolved into the World Rally Car specifications, which further forced rally cars into a strict, safe, boring template. Then, in 2017, regulations were tentatively relaxed a little...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIBaRYuJTV8

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Ariong posted:

Okay, let’s try to unpack this first part. You wish that the person who wrote it was someone who seems less reliable when they say they buy into the Multiple System thing. Instead they are a person who still seems credible when they say that. What?

They wish someone who didn't buy into the whole Multiple Systems thing wrote this book but as it stands they're all right that someone did because "it takes one to know one". (Sidenote: Unbelievably Fat Man, I remember your friend from puttering around Livejournal and I'm glad to see they're doing all right!)

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Literally who cares what the gently caress what someone is as long as it's not hurting anyone. People get way too het up about other people's identities.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
See also NASCAR restrictor plates. They could be doing 30-second laps at Daytona and Talledega, but the slightest fuckup would mean instant death.

So instead they limit the power at the fast tracks, which bunches the cars up at ~200mph and makes for better TV when one car spinning out takes out half the field.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

This is only slightly less bad than the actual book.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

hackbunny posted:

Then, in 2017, regulations were tentatively relaxed a little...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIBaRYuJTV8

So have these Fiestas been modified compared to their pre-2017 versions? Are those less safe now?

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

Terminally Bored posted:

So have these Fiestas been modified compared to their pre-2017 versions? Are those less safe now?

They are more powerful, wider and have brake cooling ducts and aerodynamic devices that had never been legal before. No idea about the safety, but they still zoom inches from insane fans, except much, much faster than before. Compare the same rally, just a year before:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXJIM5SjSL0

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
The World Rally Championship, incidentally, has announced plans to transition to electric cars within the next five years or so, so we can look forward to a whole new kind of bonkers car design once that happens.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Pirate Radar posted:

The World Rally Championship, incidentally, has announced plans to transition to electric cars within the next five years or so, so we can look forward to a whole new kind of bonkers car design once that happens.

As someone who drives an electric car and has felt it really zoom when you turn off eco mode: :stonk:

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

StrixNebulosa posted:

As someone who drives an electric car and has felt it really zoom when you turn off eco mode: :stonk:

Five words that should scare spectators: Full torque at zero RPM

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

Ive volunteered as a marshall in multiple local rallies in Finland, also at the World Rally Championship event we have here. While rally as a type is inherently unsafe, what you saw in those GIFs posted earlier, really happen still... People are idiots and disregard all orders from marshalls.

But rallying is absolutely amazing with wonderful people both on and off the stage nonetheless. Though personally I prefer to watch local rallies with 2WD cars, old or new, its a bit more exciting for me. WRC is amazing, but boring for me, for how fast and precise the drivers are. Its absolutely mindboggling to be standing there and one second you see the car and the next its gone.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Gynocentric Regime posted:

Five words that should scare spectators: Full torque at zero RPM

Aren’t they also, much, much quieter? Rally racing where you can’t hear the cars coming sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Aren’t they also, much, much quieter? Rally racing where you can’t hear the cars coming sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Yes, although that can be mitigated with a fake engine noise generator, my car has one.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Slap some speakers on there and blast the TIE fighter noise

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

Pirate Radar posted:

Slap some speakers on there and blast the TIE fighter noise

All rally racers must have four (4) hounds in the back seat. Windows are to be down half way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6JEircDGJ0

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Gynocentric Regime posted:

Yes, although that can be mitigated with a fake engine noise generator, my car has one.

Or this.

Also don't most electric cars use lithium batteries? That'd be one hell of an explosion...

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

:nms: :nms: :nws: Coming back to warn about this, the audio is extremely disturbing and I should've added more warnings when I posted it.

https://twitter.com/exxoticxH1/status/1033775596097155072

Not mind safe, it's audio of a shooting

https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/status/1033783447704281093?s=19

StrixNebulosa has a new favorite as of 11:17 on Aug 27, 2018

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

https://twitter.com/mattdpearce/status/1033794188284850176

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Also a guy from CompLexity Gaming got grazed on the thumb.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

dovetaile posted:

Also a guy from CompLexity Gaming got grazed on the thumb.

Meanwhile, others are dead.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah but at least they still have their thumbs

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Babe Magnet posted:

Yeah but at least they still have their thumbs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTmyD-_pMVU

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Gamers were a mistake

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Football video games teach children to kill.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Please don't watch this. There is a laser dot on the chest of one of the players in the PIP if the players, which thankfully cuts just before the first shot rings out.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Wasabi the J posted:

Please don't watch this. There is a laser dot on the chest of one of the players in the PIP if the players, which thankfully cuts just before the first shot rings out.
Yeah I watched because I thought it would be distant shots at the very end but I cut out really fast for my own mental health. I've heard some chatter that the people in the PIP were confirmed okay and then all that stopped because apparently that was a mistaken identity, and now I think one of them is confirmed dead? It's real hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh ok
Oct 11, 2004

Alternate... universe... Shauna... fails... BECHAMEL TEST.

(Passim)
Trueboy (Eli Clayton, the guy who had the laser dot painted on him) was shot in the chest and died. Jon Rice, the guy next to him, was unharmed. I think they're still figuring out who else is alive and who is dead. A lot of other people got shot and I think there's four confirmed fatalities. Trueboy, SpotMe (Taylor Robertson), and the shooter, Bread (David Katz) who killed himself, plus one other still unidentified.