Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Dumping a few pics from the past week:

First fish on the kayak, nearly tipped me over

Slightly bigger

The dog, now realizing that there are animals that you can pull out of the water, has become obsessed

Decent smallie

Better smallie

The only topwater catch I had all week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Just pulled out a beauty of a coho on the incomming tide.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

TheDon01 posted:

Just pulled out a beauty of a coho on the incomming tide.

Nice salmon! Where were you fishing, and what did you catch it on?

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Nice salmon! Where were you fishing, and what did you catch it on?

Homer, AK (Kachemak bay) on an orange/silver mepps #4

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
So when would you want to use a loop knot vs. a non-loop knot? I'm guessing loop knots are good for crankbaits, what about spinners? What about just on a hook for wacky/texas rigging or whatever? I grabbed some line and messed around with the canoeman loop, that's a pretty cool knot.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Any time you want something to have more natural action. Artificials that wriggle and freelining cut bait are two times I use loops.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

prom candy posted:

Better smallie

I didn't know fish where furry

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

TheDon01 posted:

Homer, AK (Kachemak bay) on an orange/silver mepps #4

Awesome. I fish coastal Washington and getting a salmon from the shore is high on my list. I wish it was a humpy run year; my smoker needs some action.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Awesome. I fish coastal Washington and getting a salmon from the shore is high on my list. I wish it was a humpy run year; my smoker needs some action.

I just noticed yesterday that snagging is now open at this spot and the limit is 6!

Got some big ol weighted trebbles and about to go try this incoming tide

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

TheDon01 posted:

I just noticed yesterday that snagging is now open at this spot and the limit is 6!

Got some big ol weighted trebbles and about to go try this incoming tide

Dang, you can snag for them there? We can't legally keep anything that wasn't hooked through the lip with a barbless hook.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Today marks the third time I've hooked a huge-rear end bowfin (this one looked to be at least 24 inches). It also marks the third time a huge-rear end bowfin has broken my line right at the pier before I could deck him.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
You guys have any fishing YouTube channels you like? I like NDYakAngler. Fishing videos are so relaxing.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

prom candy posted:

You guys have any fishing YouTube channels you like? I like NDYakAngler. Fishing videos are so relaxing.

I like Fisherman's Life, the dude is super relaxed, does some great trips, has nice, clean videos and is a amateur that is going out for fun. He does alot of catch and cooks with some interesting 2-3 day trips, he is based on the west coast too.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

prom candy posted:

Juanelo1946 does a combination fishing/cooking channel full of charmingly terrible grandpa jokes and I love it.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Rythe posted:

I like Fisherman's Life, the dude is super relaxed, does some great trips, has nice, clean videos and is a amateur that is going out for fun. He does alot of catch and cooks with some interesting 2-3 day trips, he is based on the west coast too.

Fisherman's Life is my favorite by far. He's got the only fishing videos my SO (who is completely disinterested in fishing) actively watches when I queue one up. EliasVFishing is really good too. East coast, was NYC but moved to NC recently. Lots of variety in where he fishes/what he targets, and fishes most of the time from his kayak, which is helpful as a prospective kayak-owner. Lots of catch and cooks.

Washington fish quest is pretty amateurish in terms of the technical stuff, but he's a super charming goofy guy, and is fairly informative. I've been looking for WA content, as I'm moving there soon. There doesn't seem to be much, though.

Most fishing channels have such dire editing so it's refreshing to find someone that knows how to pace a video.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Scott martin's channel on youtube has a ton of well shot and edited videos that are entertaining. Mostly florida/se us specific, but given I live there, it works for me.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Hooplah posted:

EliasVFishing is really good too. East coast, was NYC but moved to NC recently. Lots of variety in where he fishes/what he targets, and fishes most of the time from his kayak, which is helpful as a prospective kayak-owner. Lots of catch and cooks.

I need to check out that channel, I'm in NC now and kayak fish frequently as this is definitely targeted at me.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

prom candy posted:

MorningTide do cool LBG videos and I’ll watch them if I notice they’ve put a new one up.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
The “googan squad” was fun to watch 2 or 3 years ago when I started getting back into fishing. I am also not in the 8-15 demographic.

Now I can’t stand them.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Kakapon Supopon has a great fishing channel.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Subbed to pretty much all these so I remember to check them out, thanks! I've tried finding some regional content but the quality is all pretty atrocious. Maybe I should buy thousands of dollars worth of camera gear...

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Hooplah posted:

Fisherman's Life is my favorite by far. He's got the only fishing videos my SO (who is completely disinterested in fishing) actively watches when I queue one up. EliasVFishing is really good too. East coast, was NYC but moved to NC recently. Lots of variety in where he fishes/what he targets, and fishes most of the time from his kayak, which is helpful as a prospective kayak-owner. Lots of catch and cooks.

Washington fish quest is pretty amateurish in terms of the technical stuff, but he's a super charming goofy guy, and is fairly informative. I've been looking for WA content, as I'm moving there soon. There doesn't seem to be much, though.

Most fishing channels have such dire editing so it's refreshing to find someone that knows how to pace a video.

While not WA specific, PK Yi is based in Oregon and has lots of content specifically related to the Pacific Northwest, especially for surf fishing.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Wow Fisherman's Life is, how can I put this? Hella good. Extremely hungry for fish now.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Today marks the third time I've hooked a huge-rear end bowfin (this one looked to be at least 24 inches). It also marks the third time a huge-rear end bowfin has broken my line right at the pier before I could deck him.

Every time I've reeled in a bowfin I've wondered what kind of lazy fish I've hooked. Feels heavy and sluggish, right up until we spot each other, then they turn the fight on.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
What do you guys use for a tackle box/bag? My wife bought me like a bog standard plastic tackle box for Christmas but I feel like I'm outgrowing it already. Is it better to get a bag and then use those plano boxes for everything? I feel like a bag would be better for also storing my tools and individual bags of plastics.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

prom candy posted:

What do you guys use for a tackle box/bag? My wife bought me like a bog standard plastic tackle box for Christmas but I feel like I'm outgrowing it already. Is it better to get a bag and then use those plano boxes for everything? I feel like a bag would be better for also storing my tools and individual bags of plastics.

Depends on what you're doing. A sling is great for wading streams or spinning a beach, you can get ones designed to take a couple of small tackle trays. A bumbag is good for that too.

I have a backpack designed to take a bunch of tackle trays and other poo poo for when I'm bait fishing on a beach, it'll take a stack of rigs, spools of leader, sinkers, water, snacks, and anything else I need.

Everything to do with fishing is waay over priced for what it is so for storing stuff at home I use the cheapest tackle trays I can lay hands on and put them in something like this:

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Right now I'm mainly shore fishing, or when we visit the in laws I'm fishing from a Jon boat or a sit-inside kayak that isn't rigged for fishing and only has room for maybe one tiny Plano box. Next year I'm hoping to get a fishing kayak.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

prom candy posted:

Next year I'm getting a fishing kayak.

Do it, you will not regret your decision. I guess my only regret is spending a ton of money to get kayaks for the whole family but that is money well spent in the long run.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I've only been fishing for like a year and I have a bit of a history with overspending on new hobbies so I just want to wait and make sure I'm still as amped up about it next year. When I add in the roof rack, something to mount it with in my garage, PFD, etc. I'm looking at a lot of money. Plus I'm in Canada so even something entry level like the Pescador Pro 10 is still $1000.

But yeah I really want one

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

ihop posted:

Every time I've reeled in a bowfin I've wondered what kind of lazy fish I've hooked. Feels heavy and sluggish, right up until we spot each other, then they turn the fight on.

Same here. The initial tap was light enough and the deadweight dead enough that, when a dude on the pier commented on the huge bend in the rod, I said "meh, probably a turtle" (there are monstrous turtles in this part of the river). Only when he was a few feet away did he go airborne and lose his poo poo.

prom candy posted:

I use this one for freshwater (about $25 at Walmart)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsXRSnE7E80

And its' smaller cousin for saltwater. They've been great, even if they get heavy as hell.

However, now that I'm living in an area with brackish water and saltwater only 20min up the road, I bought a backpack from Academy to start putting the plano boxes in so that I'm not caught flatfooted (some piece of gear I want is always in the other bag since we moved, it seems)

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I use my youngest daughters kitty cat back pack from last school year.

I mostly fish live bait so hooks, weight, pliers, knife, leader line in the main pocket. Any tackle I want to bring goes into the little front pocket in the packaging it came in originally. Have 3 or 4 different options in there.

So much more efficient when fishing from a kayak than a normal plastic tackle box.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

The local spot is looking pretty good on Saturday:

Now watch the forecast change over the course of the week into an unfishable south westerly gale or something, like every other loving time

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

I needed some new gear for the salmon run, and after looking at 8" rods for a hell of a long time I grabbed a shimano tdk. I didn't realize that it's supposed to be a trolling rod. There's no real reason I can't fish from the banks or wade with it, is there?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Might be a bit stiff. As long as you have proper reel for it and you can cast it.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

titties posted:

I needed some new gear for the salmon run, and after looking at 8" rods for a hell of a long time I grabbed a shimano tdk. I didn't realize that it's supposed to be a trolling rod. There's no real reason I can't fish from the banks or wade with it, is there?

You can try, but if you've gone and bought a 40lb glass rod you're going to have a hard time casting with it.

As an aside, what is the use of a 8' trolling rod?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Back at the same lake I was slamming fish on at the beginning of August and the bite has reaaaallly slowed down. It's not even that much colder outside, the water's gone from high 70s to low 70s. Any thoughts on where to find smallies in late summer? The stuff I was doing last month (wacky rig senkos and mepps spinners) just doesn't seem to be working.

titties
May 10, 2012

LingcodKilla posted:

Might be a bit stiff. As long as you have proper reel for it and you can cast it.

I paired it with a 400 size Pfleuger President. For $45 bucks it is a hell of a nice reel and I think I'm getting a 300 size for my other rod because I like it so much.

I tried it out and it is a little stiff and the long handle makes it cumbersome but it's usable. The big issue is that the first guide is really small for some reason, and the offset from the reel means that the line touches the inner rim of the guide at all times. I'm thinking of just cutting the guide off because I'm pretty sure it is interfering with my casting.

gay picnic defence posted:

As an aside, what is the use of a 8' trolling rod?

I think it's for inland lakes downrigger fishing for northerns and poo poo.

prom candy posted:

Back at the same lake I was slamming fish on at the beginning of August and the bite has reaaaallly slowed down. It's not even that much colder outside, the water's gone from high 70s to low 70s. Any thoughts on where to find smallies in late summer? The stuff I was doing last month (wacky rig senkos and mepps spinners) just doesn't seem to be working.

I don't know poo poo about fish habits, but according to the local fishing report the cooler weather and shorter days should start bringing predator fish back into the shallows and end the late summer funk. Maybe just give it another week or two and see if it picks up?

titties fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Sep 5, 2018

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
This is our last week up here until we open it back up in May, so it might be time to just start exploring some of the waters closer to home.

I went to put new line on my reel for the first time today and I noticed the ratings listed on it only showed 2, 4, and 6 lbs test. I put 6 on it but is that weird that it would only have ratings for such low test? It's a shimano syncopate 1000fg, the guy at the shop basically picked it for me since I didn't know what I was doing (and still don't!)

So far I've only been after Ontario smallmouth where anything over 5 pounds would be a huge triumph but I'd like to get after some pike or whatever else I can find this fall, do I need a different reel/line? Is this how people end up with so many rods and reels?

titties
May 10, 2012

prom candy posted:

This is our last week up here until we open it back up in May, so it might be time to just start exploring some of the waters closer to home.

I went to put new line on my reel for the first time today and I noticed the ratings listed on it only showed 2, 4, and 6 lbs test. I put 6 on it but is that weird that it would only have ratings for such low test? It's a shimano syncopate 1000fg, the guy at the shop basically picked it for me since I didn't know what I was doing (and still don't!)

So far I've only been after Ontario smallmouth where anything over 5 pounds would be a huge triumph but I'd like to get after some pike or whatever else I can find this fall, do I need a different reel/line? Is this how people end up with so many rods and reels?

A 10 /100 / 1000 size reel is generally an ultralight reel and it is supposed to work best with lines of those diameters. That reel is fine for all types of panfish and will handle smaller trout species. I've caught plenty of bass on a small Shimano reel, but hooking into a really big bass could be a bit of a challenge.

You could replace the mono or fluoro line with a superline like spider wire or power pro, i think you can get a 15 lb test line that's the same diameter as 6 lb test mono. It'll help with bigger fish but if the drag is cranked down hard on your reel you could damage the reel. Also if the spool on the reel isn't braid ready you'll want to put on some mono backing, otherwise the braid could just slip on the spool when you start reeling.

I've landed several decent-sized pike with that sort of reel but it is a long and risky fight, you can't just haul them in.

A 25 or 30 size reel might be better if you plan to do some pike fishing. Also consider some steel leaders, pike and walleye have teeth that can sever plastic lines and stealth braid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

A bass combo would be totally fine for the majority of pike fishing. They're really toothy though, and very aggressive, so you'd probably see some benefit to using a stronger leader. 6lb mono can definitely bring in fish way bigger than 6 lbs. if you're not confident though, 10lb braid is typically the thickness of 2lb mono, so you could go hog wild with that.

E. Titties knows best

Hooplah fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Sep 6, 2018