Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming
I found this while looking for epic models. Now, I'm not trying to dredge up the nazi discussion again but what is that symbol on this official ork's hat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Crossed axes for Blood Axes.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.
Old Orks used to have an intentionally fascist aesthetic, particularly Blood Axes. I hear Ghazgkhull's personality modeled Hitler ("We's da best, smash or enslave everryfing else," etc.). This hearkens back to much older times, when the Imperium was, if not innocent, at least still considered "good guys." They were at least still as hosed up as it takes to necessitate semi-literal Nazis to stand as opposition. If I'm reading the British right, Orks were the fash-leaning scummy lower classes while the Imperium was the imperialist (duh) but still slightly better nobility. Can one of you :wotwot: :britain: folks confirm/deny?

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

goodness posted:

I found this while looking for epic models. Now, I'm not trying to dredge up the nazi discussion again but what is that symbol on this official ork's hat?

fashorkism

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Finally got my Chaplain Venerable Dreadnought on the board yesterday.

Played 1500 points at my local GW store against Ultramarines. Played Contact Lost, lined up on that diagonal deployment.

Started with a squad tooled for vehicle destruction, a jump captain with TH/SB (in retrospect, should have given him Banebolts of Eryxia rather than Tome of Ectoclades, but whatever.) and Chappy in deep strike. Here he is waiting to be deployed/in a sitcom opening credits:

The rest of the crew was two squads of veterans in a Corvus, (one with 4 storm bolters and chainswords and a CS/SS, another with a xenophase blade sarge, some bolter/chainswords, a frag cannon and power maul/storm shield) and my Watch Master in back hanging with my lascannon venerable dreadnought. The storm bolter crew in the Corvus was half of a combat squad split, the other half being bikers and two TH/SS vanguard vets.

I didn't think to take photos, but the manager of the store did and posted em on the local community facebook page. You wouldn't think from these two photos that I tabled my opponent, but I did, despite things going poorly at first.

I brought my army up the left side of the table, where I had that Corvus creeping in the back between those buildings. My ven dread survived two rounds of Repulsor fire chipping away at him (no las-talons) and the Watch Master's re-rolls helped him get all the lascannon shots in he could, which took the Repulsor down to 1 wound before he finally went down.

During that second round of shooting, my opponent deep-struck his Inceptors behind me, but decided not to charge my Watch Master. I did an auspex scan and blew one and a half up with the dreadnought's lascannon, and cleaned the rest up the next turn with the storm bolter squad that jumped out of the Corvus near those buildings and doubled back to the spiral tower in the back corner, sitting on the objective marker.

After the dreadnought was killed by the Repulsor, on my next turn I used the insanely wonderful Tempest Shells strategem to put the final nail in the hover tank's coffin with my Watch Master's guardian spear.

I sent my T5 unit of bikers and vanguard vets up the left side to capture another point, and on turn 3 I dropped my deep-strike mob mentioned in the first paragraph in my opponent's backyard. It did not go well.

I stupidly didn't consider line of sight and just dropped as close as I could to the unit I wanted to kill first, a group of Intercessors just camped out in cover and on an objective point. The veteran squad I dropped as a shield for Chappy got taken down the following turn by the combined firepower of two 5-man squads of intercessors, a dreadnought, a Primaris lieutenant and ancient, and a devastator squad. In their preceding shooting phase, they did 2 damage to the dreadnought, killed one in-cover intercessor, and put one wound on the ancient, then failed their charge. Hardly encouraging.

I was bummed after losing my shield unit of veterans, especially since they could have easily destroyed a lot more on the charge. But fortunately they were killed by the last shots my opponent had, and with an inferno cannon as overwatch, he didn't bother charging me. On the following turn, I brought my bikes up to act as shields for targeting the character dreadnought, in case I failed my charge. Well, Chappy came through. Rolled a 6 and a 2 on a 10-inch charge and failed, then re-rolled and got a 5. Killed the ancient, consolidated into the dreadnought and his Warlord gravis captain. Survived the next turn with two 5+ invuln saves against the gravis captain's bolt gauntlet, as well as making 3 of 9 6+ FNPs to stay alive against the dreadnought's combat weapon. The next turn, my thunderhammer captain came in with his thunder hammer and flattened the Gravis captain, and Chappy took out the rest of the other dreadnought.

During the previous turn and this one, my Corvus came across the map and dropped its other squad to sweep up the devastator squad and lieutenant, and the Corvus went over on turn 5 and mopped up the remaining intercessors and tactical marines.

A thoroughly satisfying victory, despite the eventual death of my Chaplain at the hands of a filthy psyker. No bother, the Watch Captain smashed him too.

the end

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

Old Orks used to have an intentionally fascist aesthetic, particularly Blood Axes. I hear Ghazgkhull's personality modeled Hitler ("We's da best, smash or enslave everryfing else," etc.). This hearkens back to much older times, when the Imperium was, if not innocent, at least still considered "good guys." They were at least still as hosed up as it takes to necessitate semi-literal Nazis to stand as opposition. If I'm reading the British right, Orks were the fash-leaning scummy lower classes while the Imperium was the imperialist (duh) but still slightly better nobility. Can one of you :wotwot: :britain: folks confirm/deny?

Actually only the rebellious yuffs you went full stormboyz. They would eventually grow out of being all orderly and join a real clan.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Ghazgkull Mag Uruk Thrakka is actually Margaret Thatcher. Who was a force of relentless, merciless, societal destruction. Orks themselves are a number of different aspects of British 80s/90s society. Each clan is a different group mixed with football hooligans.

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

The stormboys were the only out and out ork fascists and all the other orks thought they were idiots/juvenile. Young orks would sometimes go through a phase of marching, saluting and acting serious, and the ones who failed to "grow up" would stay behind and become stormboy leaders.

Blood axes dressed and acted like humans and even traded with them for stuff like rhinos and guns and might work as mercenaries for planetary governors. They also did un-orky things like wearing camouflage. They weren't comedy nazis, they were comedy humans.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

krursk posted:

They have that savage orc look from AOS*WHFB* (I stand corrected) which is awesome. I really love the nod to fury road. I look forward to screaming MEDIORKA! at every opportunity. Dats neva gunna get old!

I'll have to go burgling the gaff of a GW/FW Exec for a bit of filthy lucre to pay for it all though.

I dig the bodies but the faces look weird to me, it looks like they're a separate piece, and I have a literal bucket of Ork heads, so I should be able to keep them consistent with my current army.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
Reaver titan up for pre order next weekend. Guess I'd better hurry up with this big pile of AT stuff still to paint...

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

The Sex Cannon posted:

What other colors would you suggest I try?

Shade your blacks imo

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Aug 26, 2018

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

xutech posted:

The stormboys were the only out and out ork fascists and all the other orks thought they were idiots/juvenile. Young orks would sometimes go through a phase of marching, saluting and acting serious, and the ones who failed to "grow up" would stay behind and become stormboy leaders.

Blood axes dressed and acted like humans and even traded with them for stuff like rhinos and guns and might work as mercenaries for planetary governors. They also did un-orky things like wearing camouflage. They weren't comedy nazis, they were comedy humans.

Yea, it felt more "this is iconic bad guy military outfits" than straight up nazi stuff. There were Stormboys of Khorne too that worn red armbands with Khorne runes on them. The joke there was orks are immune to the power of chaos but they picked it up like a cargo cult.

Old Orky glypfs did have Swastika in it, but it was a more traditional Buddhist sunwheel than a nazi crooked one. It was the glypf for Ork though, so :stare: now that I think of it. But again, it was a more innocent time so they probably just were thinking "hey bad guy stuff!". I mean the Sex Pistols used nazi imagery a lot but I don't think anyone would think they were a fash band.

xtothez posted:

Reaver titan up for pre order next weekend. Guess I'd better hurry up with this big pile of AT stuff still to paint...

I liked the old Reaver heads.

The new one looks like a squished turtlehead.

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
Nazis were unimaginative pricks that just looked for cool imagery throughout history and unashamedly stole it for their own lovely uses. If Hitler was alive today he’d be stealing deviantart OC and printing it on flags for his white power YouTube channel.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Badablack posted:

Nazis were unimaginative pricks that just looked for cool imagery throughout history and unashamedly stole it for their own lovely uses. If Hitler was alive today he’d be stealing deviantart OC and printing it on flags for his white power YouTube channel.

So you're saying instead of a swastika, the Nazis would have Shrek pregnant with Sonic on their flags?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

twistedmentat posted:

So you're saying instead of a swastika, the Nazis would have Shrek pregnant with Sonic on their flags?

Instead of a Death's Head it would have been Pepe.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

OhDearGodNo posted:

I AM FINALLY DONE

Ready for NOVA, met my :toxx: goal, and no panic painting.

Magnetic parts:
- All veteran biker right arms
- Falchion quad lasers
- Scout Sergeant arms
- Special weapon bikers (have melta and chainsword options)
- Inceptors (all arms interchangeable with plasma)
- Every single weapon on the Repulsor

White Scars 3rd brotherhood

Primaris scouts

Footsloggers

Repainted the Riever helmets... also bikes and Stormseer

Falchion <3

Sorry to quote an old post, but I'm literally starting a White Scars army because of it.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

twistedmentat posted:

Eh, I think the current one is just a mix of both of those. Don't worry though, I'm sure FW will be happy to sell alternative heads for $10 each soon enough

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Badablack posted:

So Arch Warhammer and that Unsleeved Media guy.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Arven posted:

Sorry to quote an old post, but I'm literally starting a White Scars army because of it.

I thought the same thing, but I'd have to run em as the Mantis Toboggan Warriors because I did yellow, I'm pleased with the results as far as skill progress goes, but 2k points of a hard-to-paint color is enough.

Now I'm just sitting here wishing there was a cheat to edge highlighting black. Nothing in my army will compare to Chappy, but I wanted him to be a centerpiece, so it's cool either way.

Also those loving Forgeworld bikes. gently caress those things are rad as hell

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

It's also the same head that's been present on the Reaver Titan since 2008 so not sure why anyone would be surprised they went for that rather than something way more dated.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Instead of a Death's Head it would have been Pepe.

Isn't that quite literally the case in Murica?

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Z the IVth posted:

Imagine the most idiotic and depressing flavors of hate groups and, yes, that exists in America. :911:

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

The Sex Cannon posted:

Great C&C, Thanqol, thanks. I did the flight stands like that because it's easy and i can assemble them after spraying and varnishing. I'll experiment with piling up some rocks to hide the stand's base after NOVA.

As for the blue, my recipe is Kantor Blue base -> Teclis Blue edge -> Baharroth Blue edge -> White Scar edge with the edges getting progressively smaller to get that blue-white gradient. What other colors would you suggest I try?

I think the main thing is to use a different technique to your normal edge highlights. I have had amazing success with base white, lamenters yellow, fugean orange for orange coils - the progressive washes create a similar transition while appearing as a different material to the armour. You can try that with gulliman blue and then a careful recess wash with drakenhof nightshade. Another thing I've done is reversing the highlight so the recesses are glowing white and the raised areas are darker. I'll get some pictures tonight.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Z the IVth posted:

Yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rh1dhur4aI

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Handsome, sophisticated space elves.
Tournament report time - I went to a three-round 16 person event run by the Surrey Spartans gaming club. First time going to one of their events, and I can recommend them - the venue is well suited to 40k, the people are nice and it was well organised.

Mission for me was to work out whether my attempt at a decent Necron list was “bad but playable” or “irredeemably horrible” ahead of the rest of tournament season so I could make a call on what to take to Battlefield Birmingham in a few weeks. List is:

ARMY FACTIONS: Necrons
TOTAL COMMAND POINTS: 10
TOTAL ARMY POINTS: 1995pts

Battalion Detachment, Sautekh Dynasty [1183pts] +6CP (one from Imotekh)
HQ1: Imotekh the Stormlord, WARLORD - Hyperlogical Strategist [200pts]
HQ2: Lord (73), Staff of Light (10), Artefact of the Aeons - Veil of Darkness [83pts]
Troop1: 20 Necron Warriors (240) - [240pts]
Troop2: 10 Necron Warriors (120) - [120pts]
Troop3: 10 Necron Immortals (80), 10 Tesla Carbines (90pts) - [170pts]
Elite1: C’tan Shard of the Nightbringer (210), Powers - Cosmic Fire, Antimatter meteor - [210pts]
DT1: Ghost Ark (160) - [160pts]

Outrider Detachment, Nephrekh Dynasty [812pts] +1CP
HQ1: Illuminor Szaras (143) - [143pts]
FA1: 3 Canoptek Scarab Swarms (39) - [39pts]
FA2: 6 Canoptek Wraiths (330), 6 Vicious Claws (0) - [330pts]
FA3: 6 Necron Destroyers (240), 6 Gauss Cannon (60) - [300pts]

Nothing particularly complicated - running the outrider as Nephrekh lets you deep strike the Destroyers, and gives the wraiths an 18 inch guaranteed advance, which theoretically helps with T1 charges thanks to the strategem. Szaras is there because he’s one of the two “wildcard” characters that can be run in any detachment without breaking Dynasty, and works as a Cryptek for all dynasties.

For aid in interpreting pictures, the ITC rules of the first floor of ruins being LOS blocking were in effect, and ruins were assumed to provide cover in a point to point triangular footprint when not on a base. All missions also have First Blood removed.

Round 1 - Grey Knights

Mission: Scorched Earth + Cleanse and Capture
Deployment: Search and destroy.

He had :

Grandmaster dreadknight
Dreadknight
2 power armour strike squads
1 terminator armour strike squad
1 tooled up terminator paladin squad
A bunch of characters.
A dread with autocannons and assault cannon.

Deployment looked like this:

(His dread is actually in that building, just wobbly modelling there)

Obviously a bunch of his stuff is in DS, as are my destroyers.

I took the first turn and went fairly aggressive. Wraiths zoomed forward, and my big warrior blob teleported over to grab an objective and threaten a flank. Between the Wraiths and the C’tan power, the terminators died, while the large warrior blob took out a strike squad while grabbing an objective. I have my turn point totals for all my games noted down because I’m a giant nerd, and i scored 6 here.

chomp

While I’d taken a nasty chunk out of his army, the advantage for him was that he could now profitably drop things in his deployment zone and get use from them. His entire army duly showed up from DS. I learnt about astral aim, which is kind of hideous with ITC style LOS blocking (he put it on that hidden dreadnought). I’d positioned things so that shooting my forward units would make his charges harder as models died, but he went for it anyway, cutting out a few warriors and wraiths in the shooting phase, but leaving himself needing 10 or 11 inch charges across the board.

This didn’t matter, because drat near everything got in, both DKs into the wraiths, and crucially the paladins made an 11 inch charge into my warriors. Importantly, however, one wraith clung on, as did two warriors, so i duly blew “insane bravery” on the latter to keep them in the fight. He scored 5 points.

In my turn, i used repair subroutines on the wraiths to get some back, and fell the depleted warrior squad back to a place where they could get within three of the ghost ark to double tap on reanimation. The rest of my army pushed forward, and my destroyers showed up from deep strike.

In the shooting phase, the Nightbringer ruined the day of some strike squad members, while the destroyers blew the non-grandmaster knight to bits (T6? Lol). Various shooting from the rest of my army plinked harmlessly off the other dreadknight, while the ghost ark and the second squad of warriors hurt the paladins a bit. I realised at this point that his army was so character heavy that, having failed to use Imotekh’s lightning turn 1 or earlier this turn it was probably never going to be relevant, and i was indeed correct. The Nightbringer, in stark contrast to my opponents incredible charge rolls, whiffed a 6 inch charge into the last two strike squad members with a reroll (while i was holding “blood and guts”). Meanwhile, the wraiths pounced on his warlords and put enough wounds on him to statistically kill him. His saves prevented this.

I had also been planning to use the Nightbringer’s charge to get onto an objective, so this turn was quite low scoring, only 4.

His turn was again not bad. Obviously losing several big squads and a dreadknight hurt a lot, but he still came swinging. I learnt another thing about grey knights - you can buff a Grandmaster Dreadknight to have a 2++. :tif:.

He also sent a librarian through Gate to burn an objective in my dep zone and threaten my scarabs.

Importantly, what emerged on this turn is that i had killed just enough of his paladin squad such that they could no longer kill my big warrior blob fast enough to overtake reanimation protocols. The warriors literally tarpitted the paladins for the entire rest of the game, all while sitting on an objective (which was good because I had obsec and he didn’t). they did butcher the lord though. The grandmaster decided that the Nightbringer looked enough like a Daemon for him, and strode forth to administer some smiting.

Back to hell!

The Nightbringer got punted, but at least vengefully exploded for three mortal wounds. Once again the wraiths got cut down to a single model. My opponent scored a strong 7

Aaaand once again the wraiths popped the strategem and several came back. This time they made the sensible choice to go and mostly focus on locking the dread up, as it was within 1 inch of the wall so could be charged. Immortals moved to build a wall around the dreadknight, and warrior squad 2 and the barge went to bully some characters.

With really nothing else to shoot at (almost everything left on the board was a character) the bits of my army that weren’t on the far side of the knight poured their fire into him, and didn’t do a bad job - by the end of the shooting phase he was left in a single wound. Gauss fire started whittling down the characters, and the 3 wraiths bucked their trend (spoilers) for the rest of the event by rolling well and putting an outrageous amount of damage into the dreadnought (like 6). Given he was down to three attacks, the immortals also went into the dreadknight, and a few were punted for their troubles. The giant warrior tarpit pulled down a paladin - they’d got the +1 strength buff from Szaras, which is normally horrible, but was actually good here.

Importantly, the wraith charge against the dread meant i outnumbered my opponent on that objective (dread was squatting on one) so i burnt it. This was an extremely good turn for me, as i was sat on 5/6 objectives.

From here, my opponent’s army put up a fight on the way down, but he scored a grand total of three more points in his remaining three turns. We called it at the end of five as a very convincing victory to me (33-15).

Round 2 - Off brand Imperial Soup

Mission: Resupply drop (keeping 4 rather than 2) + Sealed orders
Deployment: Dawn of War

Opponent had a weird list (that he fully admitted was experimental).

Deathwatch battalion
Watch Master
Slam-watch captain
Three absurdly tooled up kill teams with a mix of all the specials.

Sisters vanguard
Celestine and chums
3 Dialogus (intended to hold objectives and threaten to trigger martyrdom if you prise them off)
2 Seraphim squads

Bangles SC
Mephiston
2 Slamcaps

He was able to set up 2/3 kill teams in a big block of cover. I set up everything across the board from him - we both knew this would degenerate into a big old ruckus mid board.

I took first turn (one of the advantages of my army is that it underdrops almost everyone), and had a mixed turn. The key good was that Imotekh rolled a 6 for his big lightning, and between that and some shooting, a decent amount of hurt went on one of the big Kill Teams. On the other, the Nightbringer (having switched to transdimensional thunderbolt) kind of whiffed with it, and the wraiths failed their six inch charge, even with a reroll. Jerks. I also had to pop the veil of darkness to get the immortals onto an objective on some raised terrain

His turn was also mixed. The good for him was that deathwatch storm bolters with a watch captain might be the single best thing on the market at killing wraiths, and pulverised them. The less good was that the wraiths still speed bumped him a bit, leaving a lot of my army ready to go at ideal range. The extremely terrible for him is that one of his slamcaps used UWoF to go after my destroyers - and died on overwatch.

After that last disaster, the rest of the game can be best summed up in two pictures.

Exhibit A - most of the way through his fight phase on his T1 (the only thing that happened after this in the turn was the necron warriors and Imotekh managed to kill the seraphim):

Exhibit B - the end of my T2

Looks like this time...the Xenos...purged us!

The Nightbringer was the key culprit here - cosmic fire did absurd amounts of damage, I used the “random extra power” strat and got a meteor for three, then once all the infantry had been removed, he charged mephiston and a slamcap (both down to 3 from mortal wounds), decapitated the slamcap with entropic strike and put 14 wounds into Mephi with his other three attacks.

I love the Nightbringer. He’s my cool strong friend.

This was a fundamentally unrecoverable position, and while Celestine and the watchmaster gamely laid into the warrior blobs, my opponent conceded in turn 4 at the point where the Destroyers had run out if things to eradicate that weren’t Celestine, just as the warriors had run low enough on numbers that she could no longer lock one in.

The scoring was ETC style, so conceding gave an auto 20-0, but actually when we checked the points I had won 22-2 anyway, so a gigantic victory for me.

Round 3 - Nurgle Daemons

Mission: Big Guns Never Tire + Tactical Gambit
Deployment: Spearhead assault

He had...a tonne of stuff, loads of various beasties, three daemon princes, nurglings everywhere. I don’t know the Daemon book that well. Just look at it.

Look at these clean ordered legions - how much better are they?

This was an odd one - neither if us was really sure if we wanted to go first. He won the roll off and eventually did decide to, and I, still unsure, decided to go for the seize and go it.

First turn was fairly naff - destroyers squooshed a few things, but my card draw had been abysmal, forcing me to change my plans with my wraiths to avoid failing my gambit entirely, and then i forgot to pay for the advance and charge strat (because I’d had to replan on the fly and had stopped thinking about killing stuff with them) so missed wasting a nurgling unit.

His turn was pretty dire for me - his army basically just rolled forward, but the wraiths got charged by the princes and forgot how to pass saves - the entire unit got wiped in the turn, which is absurdly unlikely against this army.

My response on turn 2 was alright at the time, but here i think i made a mistake by pressing forward with my warriors - i didn’t really need to and it made the warriors easier to lock, it’s just very automatic in most matchups. My cards were alright this turn, and a decent amount of stuff got blasted to death, but the Nightbringer whiffed with cosmic fire, then spectacularly whiffed in melee - all 3 wounds from entropic strike got FNPed, then i rolled triple 1 for other attacks. The only redeeming feature is that I blew “random extra power” again, which gave me times arrow which successfully instagibbed a Poxbringer.

Unfortunately his turn is where the cards just decided i wasn’t in this game. He drew Priority orders for...cast a psychic power. His warlord was a Daemon prince. Welp. He started bringing things up and giant ruckus brewed in the centre of the board.

In combat, the Nightbringer survived the first daemon prince’s attack, interrupted, and killed one outright from full health, so I still love him. Sadly the third just killed him, and he didn’t explode.

My turn I drew no cards that i could achieve. I got secures/defends for two objectives right up in his zone that he had nurglings on, a priority orders for the same, and area denial, which if you’ve looked at the last picture is...yeah no. Awkward. I killed some stuff and the melee continued, but i scored nothing. He had a nasty habit of making clutch saves/FNPs to keep things alive on single wounds, and then those units tying mine up.

On his turn the game went even further south, the big warrior blob getting dunked on a lot, while units of mine got tied up by his pesty flies. He was still scoring.

On my turn i drew another fricking secure for a objective in his zone. Desperate to try and salvage some points, i used the VOD to teleport the immortals out of combat across the board to try and get a charge off into one of the nurgling bases to steal it, but naturally they whiffed, so another failed gambit turn. Also, my destroyers opened up on the pesty flies that had been in with the destroyers and he made 7/8 5++ saves. It was that sort of game, as is probably becoming clear.

On his turn the six warriors guarding imotekh were killed by back to back 3 wound smites (naturally) and like 2/3 of his remaining army charged Imotekh. He held out surprisingly well - the very last attack put enough damage on him to kill him. Sadly re-rolling my save with my last CP didn’t work, and I didn’t get it back for a cheeky go at resurrection protocols as well.

Filthy beasts. I am the rightful sovereign of this galaxy. Noooooooo.

From here i actually resumed scoring a bit for the rest of the game, and things track back to normal. Neither of us got tabled, but by EOG he held three of the scoring objectives to my 1, and combined with turns 2-4 being massively in his favour, he won 34-15.

I definitely made a few mistakes here - missing advance and charge is an obvious one, but i probably did push too hard up the board with my warriors. That said, given how the cards and dice fell I’m unconvinced there’s much i could have done - the wraiths did naff all before they faceplanted to frankly embarrassingly small amounts of pain, where I was really relying on getting at least 1 turn of tarpit out of them, and other than a slightly shaky start turn 1, his saves were absolutely unreal for the rest of the game, and when that happens against army wide 5++/5+++ there’s very little you can do. Still some learning points though - I also think my target priority was off a few times.

Summary

A fun day all in all and a good outing for the army. 2-1 is a decent record, and I only lost to the eventual winner. However, I’m painfully aware that round 1 was basically a gimme matchup, and game 2 was probably at least a good one. This is not normal for Necrons. There were hardcore Ynnarri, knights and tau armies in the room, and honestly i would have been more interested in being properly dunked by them just to see how bad it would have been.

My main takeaways list-wise were:

- The wraiths underperformed. They were good game 1, but between missing the t1 charge game 2 and me forgetting to strat game 3, they were wasted points in both of those. It doesn’t help that i appear to own a cursed wraith unit that rolls 50%+ 2s on all attack rolls.
- I want another dedicated objective grabbing unit. One squad of scarabs wasn’t enough, and the army is too tight and short ranged to send much else out of its way. I did at least learn over the day that contrary to normal practice i want to be putting objectives mid board other than 1 in my own zone, as that’s where i want to be camped.
- Secretly the best use of veil of darkness might be to dash in and effectively fall back a unit while still letting them shoot. I only came up with this while desperately trying to work out a way to score in game 3, but it would actually have helped a lot elsewhere. In future, i’m likely to be much more conservative about popping it and save it for this.

With that in mind, the obvious thing to do is add another scarab unit. I can get this in a few ways (bearing in mind i have 5 pts “in hand”)

- cut two immortals. Loathe to do this, as the Tesla is very good in plenty of matchups.
- Cut a wraith (which gives me a unit of four bases). The wraiths were disappointing, but you really do want 6 if you possibly can, especially with the repair subroutines strat.
- Change to full Sautekh, swap Szaras for a regular chronometron Cryptek. I didn’t need to deep strike the destroyers much here, and maybe not planning around my wraiths always hitting combat turn 1 would help given their inability to make tiny charges. However, against something like triptides getting to deep strike is pretty much mandatory.

All those choices have advantages and disadvantages. The problem i have is that basically, making any of these compromises doesn’t feel like something I should have to do - the lack of sufficient grabbers is a major weakness, but to fix it I’d have to undermine one of the bits of glue that’s desperately trying to patch together a playable army from the Necron book. I’m still not making a final call on what to play at BB, but given that there will be more progressive scoring missions, and I don’t have a good answer to this problem, there’s a good chance that i just get the Eldar out and hope Necrons get a point cut in time for Blood and Glory or Reading Warfare. Given the latter is full Wysiwyg play as you’re painted, there’s a good chance intake this list there as full Sautekh.

One_Wing fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Aug 27, 2018

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

BuffaloChicken posted:

Finally finished my Buffalo Chicken. Counts as a Chariot of Tzeentch in my Warpwoods jungle daemons army (it's moderate toughness, flies, shoots fire, and can slam things in close combat if need be). The pure white on the flames seems to have messed with the camera a bit - the final yellow highlights on the feathers are much more prominent in real life, not as muddled into the orange as they look here.

And here's the hatchlings that momma is protecting:

This whips rear end

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space

Arven posted:

I nearly did too after seeing the start of his white scars. It did help me settle on going with white/light armor leading to doing excoriators.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

ijyt posted:

It's also the same head that's been present on the Reaver Titan since 2008 so not sure why anyone would be surprised they went for that rather than something way more dated.

It's more of a lament that they have kept with that head since FW released its Reaver. I understand because the middle head in that image is the one I always prefered, but its not really big enough to have an entire crew in it. Reavers have a crew of 3 I think?

PierreTheMime posted:

Imagine the most idiotic and depressing flavors of hate groups and, yes, that exists in America. :911:

Imagine instead of like Otto Skorzeny, you have a neckbeard in a utlikilt and crocs.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Ghazgkull Mag Uruk Thrakka is actually Margaret Thatcher. Who was a force of relentless, merciless, societal destruction. Orks themselves are a number of different aspects of British 80s/90s society. Each clan is a different group mixed with football hooligans.

The Mag Uruk Thrakka = Maggie Thatcher thing was sadly a rumor, though a proper spicy meme.

I could swear old 40k art had just some Orks bombing around in black trenchcoats and jackboots and such.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

The Mag Uruk Thrakka = Maggie Thatcher thing was sadly a rumor, though a proper spicy meme.

I could swear old 40k art had just some Orks bombing around in black trenchcoats and jackboots and such.

I remember old art with black leather clad orks, but they looked more like leather daddies than nazis.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Bucnasti posted:

I remember old art with black leather clad orks, but they looked more like leather daddies than nazis.

Some of this stuff is in the second edition box.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Arven posted:

You know not the hell you have unleashed upon yourself. Godspeed.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Arven posted:

Enjoy alcoholism.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Helvarins are basically done! Aside from doing the eyes and varnish I got them wrapped up. That gives me 2000 points painted!

Current status of the Knight.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
How the sweet Jesus did those White Scars get their recessing done so well? :smithicide:

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

One_Wing posted:

His turn was again not bad. Obviously losing several big squads and a dreadknight hurt a lot, but he still came swinging. I learnt another thing about grey knights - you can buff a Grandmaster Dreadknight to have a 2++. :tif:.

Great report. Shame about the last game going a little pearshaped but that's Necrons, small mistakes or swings will roll up your whole game plan. Just quoting this bit as I'm pretty sure it's not true since the FAQ - Sanctuary specifically stops you going below 3++, and has done since the GK FAQ in about July last year.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Army August!

I need to get back to painting some more of these guys, especially since I'm hoping to take them to WHW in November. Kind of sad that this is the most I've ever painted for one army in my however many years of hobbying, and still got a bunch of models to do for it.

Nihilakh Dynasty Necrons, assemble!

HQ

Necron Lord and Overlord

Cryptek

Troops

Warriors

Immortals

Fast Attack

Destroyer

Canoptek Scarabs

Heavy Support

Canoptek Spyder

Doomsday Ark

krursk
Sep 11, 2001

Your anguish sustains me.

xutech posted:

I always loved the older Ork stuff. In a society where you do whatever you want whenever you want the only way to be a rebellious teen is to conform to a regime of rigid discipline. I also love the RT story of the first human encounter with and an Ork: Neither much liked what they saw and immediately shot each other dead.

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Handsome, sophisticated space elves.

Corrode posted:

Great report. Shame about the last game going a little pearshaped but that's Necrons, small mistakes or swings will roll up your whole game plan. Just quoting this bit as I'm pretty sure it's not true since the FAQ - Sanctuary specifically stops you going below 3++, and has done since the GK FAQ in about July last year.

Goddamit, I specifically asked him “are you sure that doesn’t have a 3++ limit, most of them do now”. On looking at the FAQ, he also didn’t discard the lowest dice when using Psychic channelling.

Oh well, i made a small (vastly less relevant, but whatever) rules error in that game too, and still won in the end, so water under the bridge.

One_Wing fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Aug 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Fuegan posted:

Army August!

I need to get back to painting some more of these guys, especially since I'm hoping to take them to WHW in November. Kind of sad that this is the most I've ever painted for one army in my however many years of hobbying, and still got a bunch of models to do for it.

Nihilakh Dynasty Necrons, assemble!

HQ

Necron Lord and Overlord

Cryptek

Troops

Warriors

Immortals

Fast Attack

Destroyer

Canoptek Scarabs

Heavy Support

Canoptek Spyder