Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Ys VIII is very anime, but the story is well told and engaging in my opinion. As long as the anime doesn't bother you of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

SettingSun posted:

Ys VIII is very anime, but the story is well told and engaging in my opinion. As long as the anime doesn't bother you of course.

It’s okay it suffers from wanting to be a mystery that doesn’t explain itself at all until the last chapter so you end up going room by room, getting an info dump and fighting a boss. Then repeat. So the grand majority of the plot happens in the last chapter.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Real hurthling! posted:

The new dyk gaming video explains really well why advance wars is dead. Every entry we got in the west was cancelled for japanese release for a number of dumb nintendo circumstances despite having full japanese translations in the game files so what we think of as classic games were either years late or non existent in japan because of dumbo poo poo like AW going gold too soon after gameboy wars 3 launched and stuff like that.

funny how Fire Emblem's existence, and eventual introduction to the West, was mainly due to the success of Nintendo Wars and the reception of Advance Wars...and Fire Emblem vastly overtook its parent by a tremendous margin.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I didn’t realize Ys 8 also has Bad Naked Women designs my bad. I guess if you wanna play a jrpg in 2018 there is no choice

DLC Inc posted:

funny how Fire Emblem's existence, and eventual introduction to the West, was mainly due to the success of Nintendo Wars and the reception of Advance Wars...and Fire Emblem vastly overtook its parent by a tremendous margin.

But... what if I could marry my artillery unit

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i would smooch grit in a heartbeat

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I would love an iteration on the days of ruin version of advance wars.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Ys games are usually kinda short, do I want to pay 60 bucks for that?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Man, Hollow Knight encourages some really tedious gaming behavoirs doesnt it? I hope that gets rectified in the sequel.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Barudak posted:

Man, Hollow Knight encourages some really tedious gaming behavoirs doesnt it? I hope that gets rectified in the sequel.

Yeah it has loads of problems but it's still really good

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Barudak posted:

idgi

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
I bought hollow knight on promotion and I'm really digging it so far, it's beautiful. However I have to ask thread: is this game like Celeste where it's challenging but very manageable, with gameplay that encourages learning? I don't consider myself too great but I did play through Celeste b sides and through the first dark souls for reference.

(I'm scared I will get stuck)

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Meallan posted:

I bought hollow knight on promotion and I'm really digging it so far, it's beautiful. However I have to ask thread: is this game like Celeste where it's challenging but very manageable, with gameplay that encourages learning? I don't consider myself too great but I did play through Celeste b sides and through the first dark souls for reference.

If you can handle Celeste B-sides you can handle HK no problem

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Meallan posted:

Yes

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

SettingSun posted:

How compelling is the story of the prepubescent girl whose top is falling off

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Heath posted:

I'm really hoping for a port of the Wii version of Chocobo's Dungeon because it's a fantastic little mystery dungeon game with great remixes of songs from all the mainline games and it absolutely deserves to be mobile.

:yeah:

I wish Square Enix would go back to the Chocobo series, even just for a re-release. That and Rocket Slime are what I want to see most.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Ys 8 is long as gently caress. It's the longest one by far.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

50 hours is short???

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

I shudder to think how many thousands that poor hedgehog owes in debt to Tom loving Nook.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Mister Facetious posted:

I shudder to think how many thousands that poor hedgehog owes in debt to Tom loving Nook.

The tent is free

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

It's your fault almost every jrpg has like 30 hours of padding.

Yes, you personally.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm glad I finally picked up Hollow Knight. I've hit a few roadblocks where it's difficult to figure out how boss' pattern in between treks from the nearest bench. Parts of this game look really good. I think they did a bit of a disservice to make the part that every reviewer is going to show off look as bland as possible.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Andrast posted:

It's your fault almost every jrpg has like 30 hours of padding.

Yes, you personally.

Ys is a 40 hour game if you do the sidequests.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The thing you don't seem to understand is that games are built on common code. Especially big fancy open-world ones. When you see facial animation that terrible on a pair of NPC's (nevermind the voice acting) in a vacuum, it is actually perfectly reasonable to assume all the others are like that because they're all gonna be built on the same code for modelling and animations.

There are several different tiers of quality from main chars to important sub story chars to less important ones to just uninteractable bystandards in most games, mr explainypants

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

No they arent?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

LODGE NORTH posted:

The tent is free

Probably lives in it due to foreclosure.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/destructoid/status/1033400643036180480?s=21

The Wii has officially outlived the Wii U.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

It’s crazy the Wii is still getting games. How much longer does it have to beat PS2 in years of support?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So it's going to be 19 days until Xenoblade 2: Torna comes out.

Should I play through Breath of the Wild and try to beat it before then (playing an average of 3 hours a day), or should I play Super Maro Odyessy and then beat what's ever on my backlog?

The last genuinely good Wii game came out in 2015.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

punk rebel ecks posted:

Should I play through Breath of the Wild and try to beat it before then (playing an average of 3 hours a day), or should I play Super Maro Odyessy and then beat what's ever on my backlog?

Don't play botw with the aim of beating it in a timeframe

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Andrast posted:

Don't play botw with the aim of beating it in a timeframe

yeah that sounds like a great way to not enjoy botw, it's a lot more fun to explore at your own pace

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

punk rebel ecks posted:

I'd go with Odyssey. You're likely not gonna finish BotW in that timeframe, and both Xenoblade and Zelda are big exploration focused games (monolith soft even worked a fair bit on BotW) so it might be better to space them out.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Real hurthling! posted:

No they arent?

I got through Origin and VI and Felghana pretty quick

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Sam Faust posted:

I'd go with Odyssey. You're likely not gonna finish BotW in that timeframe, and both Xenoblade and Zelda are big exploration focused games (monolith soft even worked a fair bit on BotW) so it might be better to space them out.

I already beat Xenoblade 2. I was referring to the DLC expansion.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Pharohman777 posted:

I would love an iteration on the days of ruin version of advance wars.

IS made Days of Ruins for Western audiences because Advance Wars: Dual Strike did disproportionately well overseas. Days of Ruin had a gritty war aesthetic and focused on addressing balance issues. It's likely that Dual Strike benefited from Nintendo's big Summer 2005 push (Nintendogs, new DS colors, etc) but ultimately failed to create a lasting audience.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

CharlestheHammer posted:

Ys is a 40 hour game if you do the sidequests.

That's not short

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Sunning posted:

IS made Days of Ruins for Western audiences because Advance Wars: Dual Strike did disproportionately well overseas. Days of Ruin had a gritty war aesthetic and focused on addressing balance issues. It's likely that Dual Strike benefited from Nintendo's big Summer 2005 push (Nintendogs, new DS colors, etc) but ultimately failed to create a lasting audience.

Dual Strike was so much loving fun. Days of Ruin was fine but too drat gritty and grimdark, I hated it. Advance Wars was good because it took the serious subject of war and made it cartoony and cute.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I liked both styles. Days of Ruin had better gameplay than Dual Strike and the story was surprisingly good but I’d prefer a game in the style of the GBA games if we somehow got another game.:smith:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Sunning posted:

IS made Days of Ruins for Western audiences because Advance Wars: Dual Strike did disproportionately well overseas.
Hell, Days of Ruin didn't even get a proper release in Japan, it got shoved out onto the DSiWare eShop some five years or so after the rest of the world got it.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

punk rebel ecks posted:

The last genuinely good Wii game came out in 2015.

Holy poo poo another human that played the Wii rodea game. That version was actually pretty fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

To be fair, you can play the Wii game on the Wii U.

• Locked thread