Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

DLC Inc posted:

Honestly there is just a shitload of information here and I'd get into the Breaker stuff but maybe it's better suited for OP to put in the first post, lord knows there's enough to construct multiple pages of info here

This is some cool poo poo and I'll prob make a proper OP and thread when the game gets closer to release with detailed info and poo poo but I'll at least link it there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

DLC Inc posted:

--other taunts do poo poo like reload your gun or put your hood up for the duration of the fight

aw yeah time for hoodie runs

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Not being able to switch breakers doesn't sound too great though. Hopefully it's an upgrade or something.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Dahbomb is the best thing Neogaf has given us.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Got my all-S DMD runs done with all characters in DMC4SE. I'm fuckin' ready, give me that DMC I crave

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!
...was that a power bomb?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Tommy 2.0 posted:

...was that a power bomb?

Yeah, but some variant that has the victim resting on the left shoulder instead of straddling the powerbomber's head. I'm sure I've seen it before, but I don't know the name.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

toasterwarrior posted:

Got my all-S DMD runs done with all characters in DMC4SE. I'm fuckin' ready, give me that DMC I crave

By the time SE came out I burnt out a bit on grinding up to DMD. The only negative part about replays.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

RBX posted:

By the time SE came out I burnt out a bit on grinding up to DMD. The only negative part about replays.

Hah, this run actually stalled out three years ago when regular playing was really painful on my wrists. Only got the will to get back into it (same with Doom 2016 and all Slayer-rank Arcade) when DMC5 (and Doom Eternal) finally became a Thing.

20 missions, 3 characters/teams, 3 playthroughs. So that's 180 levels total, not counting the times I died because of some seriously tough parts or 3-year rust.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
https://www.gameinformer.com/gamescom-2018/2018/08/24/capcoms-hideaki-itsuno-on-ninja-theory-nico-and-the-difference-between

Hideaki Itsuno posted:

you want to talk about stylish… Ninja Theory, those guys are style incarnate, man. What they did with DmC, that art style, those animations, that is real style, y’know? So we took a lot of what we learned from that.

Hideaki Itsuno posted:

For me, DmC is one of my favorite DMC games, if not my favorite.

Hideaki Itsuno posted:

We learned so much from Ninja Theory and DmC ... Even stuff like the kill cams, for instance, we took a lot of that, and having learned that, we tried to implement that in this game as well.

:thunk:

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I mean, even if they did think DmC was poo poo, they're not going to come out and call it poo poo. And considering how grimy DMC5 looks, I can see the influence. Hopefully all the cues they took are similarly superficial.

Plus, knowing what I do about how interpreters tend to simplify responses for interviews, I wonder if there's some subtext or just little details missing from those responses.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Let's just hope that Nero will not be using his Devil Breakers to do any abortions on giant demon fetuses.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

OnimaruXLR posted:

I mean, even if they did think DmC was poo poo, they're not going to come out and call it poo poo. And considering how grimy DMC5 looks, I can see the influence. Hopefully all the cues they took are similarly superficial.

"It's been 10 years since DMC4 and fans have been asking for a true sequel" is about as blatant as you can get in bullshit PR speak. The game looks more like the intro to DMC3 or all of DMC2 than DmC, which was orange and blue or red and green contrast: the game and super colorful

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

He worked on DmC and did most of the combat. .

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

those DmC comments don't really worry me too much since this is following the blueprint that DMC4 put down and improving on basically all the good ideas therein. In terms of style and fluid animations DmC definitely did do a nice job, can't argue with that compared to the past games, but with other stuff like loving enemies you can't even touch unless you have a red/blue weapon....not so much. DmC had a lot of dead zones and some really loving terrible enemies like those cherub things. I didn't like how certain moves that are DMC3 staples were also put on a scythe or axe or whatever; instead of styles you got these weapons that required holding down even more goddamn buttons than usual.

noticed someone in the resetera thread mourning the death of the fixed camera lol. the most archaic loving poo poo that even RE2's remake is putting away.

DLC Inc fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Aug 25, 2018

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i kinda like fixed camera angles but not in devil may cry

they made fighting bosses in dmc1 on dmd pretty painful

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Itsuno supervised DmC and I'm sure the man can probably understand better than anyone else the constraints that Ninja Theory operated under and also how difficult it is to pick up the baton from the work of someone else (remember, he wasn't on DMC1).

That said, DMC5 so far looks like it OBVIOUSLY picks up from DMC4, different art style aside, so I wouldn't particularly worrying about any of the bad decisions from DmC coming back.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Yeah from what we've seen so far it's "DMC4 but even better somehow" so I have no worries about the DmC comments

I will miss the grenade launcher lvl 3 charge shot for Blue Rose though, RIP

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I hope that Dante still has gunslinger style and a shotgun, because the gun stinger is my favorite move in video games

Yes, I was a big fan of Lady in DMC4SE

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Honestly Dante should have like some kind of three sectioned staff that both serves as three separate shotgun barrels and one gigantic gently caress off shotgun, because whipping around a shotty ain't gonna do it for me anymore. DOOM 2016 and Blood Dragon have spoiled me and I need a super ridiculous demon shotty.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

toasterwarrior posted:

Yeah, but some variant that has the victim resting on the left shoulder instead of straddling the powerbomber's head. I'm sure I've seen it before, but I don't know the name.

Crucifix Powerbomb

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Onmi posted:

Crucifix Powerbomb

Nah, the Crucifix has the victim centered and raised entirely over the attacker's head. The one Nero does has him brace the enemy on his left shoulder.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Crabtree posted:

Honestly Dante should have like some kind of three sectioned staff that both serves as three separate shotgun barrels and one gigantic gently caress off shotgun, because whipping around a shotty ain't gonna do it for me anymore. DOOM 2016 and Blood Dragon have spoiled me and I need a super ridiculous demon shotty.

We've seen two of Dante's weapons, the Rebellion and the Motorbike Dual Wield Saw Thing. I think we're in on a good course for some absolutely ridiculous weapons.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Tonfa shotguns and the shotguns fire backwards so you can punch harder

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

one thing I'm glad it seems they're taking from DmC are wider arenas for battles. DMC4 has so many claustrophobic hallways and tearooms it drove me nuts. There was just so much of the game that was great in the combat and so much of it was interrupted by braindead puzzles and bumping into walls. DmC had a lot of platforming but when it came to most fights it absolutely knew to give you breathing room for all your skills.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Also some of the DMC4 enemies are complete nightmares when you don't have enough space to fight them in. Anything with hyperarmor or the Blitz's lightning shield, ugh...

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Who's the person that used to make the really ridiculous DMC4 combo videos? I think they're old enough to be pretty bad quality, but I seem to remember one where he kills Berial without touching the ground

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

RichterIX posted:

Who's the person that used to make the really ridiculous DMC4 combo videos? I think they're old enough to be pretty bad quality, but I seem to remember one where he kills Berial without touching the ground

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjsuGB3S92Q

This specific video by brea inspired me to really get into character action games as a whole. That 100%-air kill on Berial is just loving beautiful.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

the darkness of night falls around my soul

Snicker-Snack
Jul 2, 2010
Probably not the ones you´re looking for, but if you want to see some combo videos and stylish play, check out Sakaki and Donguri. Two of the best players DMC players around. Donguri specifically used to have a video where he killed every boss without touching the ground, but I think he deleted it?

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

toasterwarrior posted:

Also some of the DMC4 enemies are complete nightmares when you don't have enough space to fight them in. Anything with hyperarmor or the Blitz's lightning shield, ugh...

My favorites are Fausts and Mephistos in tight spaces, because the game just gives up trying and has them phase through walls where you can't hit them.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

a cartoon duck posted:

My favorites are Fausts and Mephistos in tight spaces, because the game just gives up trying and has them phase through walls where you can't hit them.

luv2guess when some loving demon shadow ghost bug rear end in a top hat is about to plow into me like a train because i cant see their current animation through the loving wall

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Powerbomb chat: Checked the trailer again and it looks like Nero does The Great Sasuke's Thunder Fire Powerbomb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=552KAjCbvkg

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

PunkBoy posted:

Powerbomb chat: Checked the trailer again and it looks like Nero does The Great Sasuke's Thunder Fire Powerbomb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=552KAjCbvkg

Ooh, nicely done.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
did any good player recordings game out of gamescom

Snicker-Snack
Jul 2, 2010

Pomp posted:

did any good player recordings game out of gamescom

This guy managed to S rank the demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7LV7kLJYkk

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Looks like breaking the arms for the super move is a big thing with getting the S ranks and considering that you can't switch between them that means that you'l have to constantly adapt to whatever special arm moves you have available to you at all times.
On the other hand (har har) arms seem to be lying around everywhere so you won't really have to worry about not having spares.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Finally, good on this dude. I like how he just spammed the poo poo out of the electric palm explosion thing at the end, clearly trying to do as much damage as possible before he potentially fucks up and loses the no damage for the S-rank. Super relatable...

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Is DMCV supposed to be set before or after DMC2? I'm assuming after? Because of that bike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

they've only stated that it takes place after DMC4 afaik.