Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Shiro would be a good mom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

here is a list of fate/grand order characters i want to be my mom:

altera
atalante
boudica
martha
medea
mata hari
carmilla
spartacus
jeanne
tamamo
drake
scathach
babbage
ryougi
nightingale
irisviel
lancer artoria
da vinci
quetz
gorgon
taiga
sheba
semiramis
ivan
napoleon

and heres a copy of that list in case you throw the first copy in the trash

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
That's a good list

Almost done with summer 3 event in JP. I think after a while I still like Summer 2 the most.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!
I'd pay money for an actual Mini Cu skin.

I don't understand what DW is doing that they haven't taken this opportunity yet. Hell, disable it during story quests if you think that's too comical for this extremely serious gacha game.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Skins and costumes, the way they're designed in the game, take almost as much work as an actual new character.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall

Tae posted:

Skins and costumes, the way they're designed in the game, take almost as much work as an actual new character.

Isn't that false? It's true that most new skins come with an animation update, but for Robin for example, they just redrew him with the same skeleton and it's done

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Sophism posted:

I'd pay money for an actual Mini Cu skin.

I don't understand what DW is doing that they haven't taken this opportunity yet. Hell, disable it during story quests if you think that's too comical for this extremely serious gacha game.

They're obviously not going to do it before the re-run, are they?

Tae posted:

They need a full set of sprites and animations keyed to their attacks, portrait art with expressions and card art. That's certainly a lot, but Mini Cu seems to have all of that except the card art already.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Please no, I have a hard enough time not getting what I want from the gacha without diluting it further with skins and the like

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

Tae posted:

The way the "sprite sheet" works is essentially breaking the character apart into separate limbs, hair and capes/skirts/etc and applying them to planes, distorting and rotating those to create the illusion of traditional animation. I'm not saying it's trivial, but unless you're going for brand new animations, it seems orders of magnitude easier than a new character from scratch.

Regardless, the Mini Cu sprite already exists, is already rigged, and is missing only a couple of animations from what I could tell. As long as it's a paid cosmetic, I can see it being easily justifiable!

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Mini Curruid Coinchenn

:allears:

Gimme

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

I'm just realising now that I never actually saw mini-Cu's animations because he always died first turn. Now I wish I'd left him alive for a bit to see them. Does he actually have a mini version of his NP?

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

Suaimhneas posted:

I'm just realising now that I never actually saw mini-Cu's animations because he always died first turn. Now I wish I'd left him alive for a bit to see them. Does he actually have a mini version of his NP?

He has his own NP animation, but it's not the same as Cu Alter's. It's just a fancy spear throw. Coinchenn Tiny Bite I think it's called.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I like how Helena is just so over this magical girl bullshit.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Have a couple open slots on JP if anyone wants in on this. This is just my usual support list, I'll still have my event support list up until the event ends, so just keep an eye out for the grailed taiga, lol.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
That taiga is extremely good civ

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

she'll be even better once i get her to 100 and max fous

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Sssh! Be vewy vewy quiet. It's wabbit season.

Endorph posted:

Have a couple open slots on JP if anyone wants in on this. This is just my usual support list, I'll still have my event support list up until the event ends, so just keep an eye out for the grailed taiga, lol.

Send a request as ロビン、 that's a cool taiga.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Endorph posted:

Request sent as WT Fits.

Still trying to blitz my way to the end of the Summer 3 story so I can keep summer Jalter. :ohdear:

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Ledgy posted:

Isn't that false? It's true that most new skins come with an animation update, but for Robin for example, they just redrew him with the same skeleton and it's done

If this was true, we would have waaay more costumes by now. As it is, I can count the characters that have costumes by hand.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
Well, I mean, you can just look at Gil Caster's or Jalter's costumes to see that the animations are the exact same save for the idle pose (and maybe skill activations?)

I'm pretty sure DW aren't getting any cash from costumes anyway, so it's not like they have a strong incentive to do lots of them

Ledgy fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Aug 26, 2018

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Yeah, the main issue is that DW has established a precedent that costumes are free and get dropped whenever, so there's not a whole lot of incentive to create costumes besides maybe making people want one a little more.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Thats why you make costumes for the Silvers and Bronzes :colbert:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i mean costumes can make money when you run rateups for the SR/SSRs they're for alongside them.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
They have to record a new set of battle lines for each costume as well, so it's also a matter of getting the VA into the recording studio. It's definitely not a low effort task for them.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Getting the VAs back in, getting the costume's basic design done, getting the character's artist to draw the finalized art, then getting the sprite team to translate that art into the battle sprite.

None of this process is low effort or low time.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Plus, honestly, I'd rather see more costumes wait until all the older servants have received animation updates.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

taser rates posted:

They have to record a new set of battle lines for each costume as well, so it's also a matter of getting the VA into the recording studio. It's definitely not a low effort task for them.

Do all costumes actually have new audio? Even Summer BBs?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

MHXX mecha and MHXX non-mecha have different lines for attacks and skill activations.

Summer BB is a completely new servant.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Tae posted:

MHXX mecha and MHXX non-mecha have different lines for attacks and skill activations.

Summer BB is a completely new servant.

No, I mean Summer BB's costumes. The ones you unlock at the end of the event.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Those don't, but those are also pretty much just alternate second and third ascensions sprites as opposed to completely different costumes.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
So I got Chloe (at least her voice actress isn't as annoying as Illya's) and... she's stuck at NP Level 1 right? Because I don't see any way to get extra copies of her

Not that it maters because she hits pretty dang hard, but still, wanna make sure I'm not missing anything the way I did with my beloved Rider Kin-chan, who's stuck at level 60, NP Lvl 1...

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

OnimaruXLR posted:

So I got Chloe (at least her voice actress isn't as annoying as Illya's) and... she's stuck at NP Level 1 right? Because I don't see any way to get extra copies of her

Not that it maters because she hits pretty dang hard, but still, wanna make sure I'm not missing anything the way I did with my beloved Rider Kin-chan, who's stuck at level 60, NP Lvl 1...

After the 28th there will be more missions unlocked that will get you another four copies of her.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

NRVNQSR posted:

After the 28th there will be more missions unlocked that will get you another four copies of her.

Yes, only 75 of the 100 missions are currently available. The other 25 get unlocked on the 28th along with more bosses to fight and the EX Quests that are the best grinding spots.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

For future reference, this is how mission structure events work. It's literally impossible to clear everything in the first week.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Endorph posted:

i mean the issue is that fapo already has too many characters. fran, karna, and achilles all have decent material in fgo (or ccc in karna's case) so they aren't bad characters, and even if they were, replacing them with better characters wouldnt change the fact that they have maybe 17 minutes of screentime between the three of them.

Considering Sieg was boring and lame even WITH screentime, I don't know if getting more would have helped.

Also this isn't directly related but since people were talking about Apocrypha I read a post on Reddit where someone explained why they didn't like Jeanne/Sieg and I thought it was interesting, because I couldn't really explain why I disliked it so much considering I'm not a huge fan of vanilla jannu in the first place.

Reddit post posted:

There are many other reasons as people have pointed out, but the romance with Jeanne is, at least to me, inexcusably poor writing. No it's got nothing to do with the fact that I like Jeanne (I'm actually ambivalent toward her), it's that the romance is forced and superficial even by the usual standards.

I don't object to the fact that Jeanne is into an ordinary and plain pretty boy. I actually think that's good. Superficial attraction is good contrast to her holy and pure demeanor. It brings out a more human and girlish side of a previously infallible character (not that there's anything fallible about shallow attraction, mind you). But the way the story portrays this attraction as some sort of deep and meaningful romance is just infuriating. The point where he shows up to see her in the epilogue mirroring Shirou's path in Fate is especially galling. I'm not personally a fan of Shirou/Saber (again, personal preference more than anything else here), but the Fate route did way more to earn its pairing than Apocrypha ever did. Shirou and Saber fought together and bonded over time. They both have baggage that mirror each other's and their development compliment each other's. Shirou draw Saber out of her regret and make her more human. Saber give Shirou bring out Shirou's more "normal teenage boy" side which often gets buried under his messiah complex. They are characters that work together and grow together. Sieg and Jeanne on the other hand are in love because they have to be. They went on a "date" once, and that's while they're there for other business. Their relationship comprise almost entirely of her helping him escape the war safely, he refuses and jumps right back in, she gets angry over his lack of care for his own well-being and then romance. Look, having a crush on him, fine, good even, as I said above. Feeling so attached and in love with this boy she met for like two weeks to the point that it dwarfs her feelings for her former comrades (who fought and died for her and whom she likely knew for years) and causes her a mental breakdown when she is shown an illusion of his corpses? Plain unadulterated silliness. And on his end her death affected him so much it gave him protagonist rage power (along with buffs he got from other people) enough to overcome Amakusa (who let's not forget perfectly contrasted Jeanne and could have served as her last boss. Instead he fights this guy he just met who had little to no ideology to contrast his own). And then even though as far as I can remember Sieg indicated no romantic interest in her up until that point her death caused such intense feeling of love that he waited for an eternity to be reunited with her.

I will not deny that Shirou/Saber had its fair share of contrivances and shortcuts, but at least they bothered to have contrivances and shortcuts. Sieg/Jeanne's romance is assumed, forced and exaggerated to such infuriating levels that the pathos resulting from it feel false and hollow. Amakusa/Semiramis is a popular pairing that had even fewer interactions, but because they were kept in the background viewers have plenty of room to fill in the blanks. It isn't as noticeable or, perhaps more importantly, nowhere as melodramatic.

So to say that one reason that people hate Sieg is that Jeanne is in love with him is accurate but misleading. It's not just that she is taken and viewers get jealous (at least I hope that's not the majority of viewers), it's that the fact that she is in love with him is just so poorly written and the drama resulting from it are built on a hollow foundation. Trying to draw parallel with the main pairing of the Fate route only serve to highlight the glaringly poor execution by comparison.

Motto posted:

Yeah, the main issue is that DW has established a precedent that costumes are free and get dropped whenever, so there's not a whole lot of incentive to create costumes besides maybe making people want one a little more.

Make costumes an "extra bonus" for buying SQ or a bunch of tickets like in GBF.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Aug 26, 2018

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
I personally would not be happy if they further tied costumes to money, the draw of them to me is that they're another extra something you can get if really like the character. Even if that means they come out at a slower clip, I'm pretty satisfied with what we've gotten so far.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Fapo

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The thing is sieg isnt a completely awful character in tge fgo fapo event because he makes jokes and gets in on the silliness. If he got less unearned focus in fapo itself, maybe he could be written more like the other characters and less like 'okay, all jokes aside, heres The Protagonust'

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
Woot, finished up the available missions. Now I can spend the rest of the day and all day tommorow working to get Chloe to 80, and maybe hop over to Chicago to grind the one Gear I need to level her Projection skill. Already got Kiss Demon/Freak up to level 8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

taser rates posted:

I personally would not be happy if they further tied costumes to money, the draw of them to me is that they're another extra something you can get if really like the character. Even if that means they come out at a slower clip, I'm pretty satisfied with what we've gotten so far.

That's fine if you like any of the characters who've gotten costumes so far (I like Jalter!) but if you don't you're out of luck (where's Salter's??).