Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Chairman Capone posted:

Every line of her dialogue, and even a lot of the art, just make me think someone thought, "Harley Quinn is really popular... why don't we just copy her into a Star Wars comic?"

i dont care!! I love it!! going to get really into hot topic now byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Lake Jucas posted:

Counterpoint: thr new Vader comic.

new vader is great, but to me Aphra's exploring way more interesting areas of star wars and opening it up a lot more. All the weird droids & creatures, the junkyard prison, it has way more acknowledgement of human relationships, the force crystal.

Its the weirdest comic which is very good.

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jul 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I'm stupid excited for all the stuff announced at SDCC. The Age of ________ series looks fantastic; I love one-shots so much

EDIT: Oh; and I got a letter published in Star Wars Adventures; which is awesome

jivjov fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jul 25, 2018

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Caught up on the main series, Vader, and Aphra.

Vader remains my favorite of the three, but Aphra is pretty close. I'm still hoping in vain that Larocca gets replaced on the main book, but I enjoy the places Gilen's taking the story.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Roth posted:

Caught up on the main series, Vader, and Aphra.

Vader remains my favorite of the three, but Aphra is pretty close. I'm still hoping in vain that Larocca gets replaced on the main book, but I enjoy the places Gilen's taking the story.

Yeah I've got a bunch of Aphra on my Kindle ready to go. But I really love Vader.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Hell ya Rogue Squadron!

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

The digital version of Darth Vader #19 was missing the last page when it released on Wednesday. An update should have got out already to put it in.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Huh, at the time I thought it ended a little abruptly but didn't think more of it.

Rechecking, it looks like the last page is in and lol RIP black Twilek and pink lady, you were entertainingly evil

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Cross-Section posted:

Huh, at the time I thought it ended a little abruptly but didn't think more of it.

Rechecking, it looks like the last page is in and lol RIP black Twilek and pink lady, you were entertainingly evil

lol oops

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Looks like Larocca will be moving off Star Wars at issue #55.

November solicits have Andrea Broccardo on art for issue #56 and Angel Unzueta for #57.

Edit: Andrea Broccardo did the art for the two Doctor Aphra issues during the Screaming Citadel crossover. Angel Unzueta is the current artist on Poe Dameron, which is ending at the next issue.

OhFunny fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Aug 21, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Is Star Wars the longest-running Marvel series without getting a relaunch and a new number-one issue in the last five years?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Wheat Loaf posted:

Is Star Wars the longest-running Marvel series without getting a relaunch and a new number-one issue in the last five years?

According to the guy who owns my FLGS, Star Wars is most likely a case of Marvel wanting to get to an Issue #100 (and if they hit #114, they'll tie the last time they had the star wars comics license)

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Wheat Loaf posted:

Definitely.

jivjov posted:

According to the guy who owns my FLGS, Star Wars is most likely a case of Marvel wanting to get to an Issue #100 (and if they hit #114, they'll tie the last time they had the star wars comics license)

Marvel's original Star Wars series went to issue #107. I guess it's 114 issues in total with the 3 annuals and the 4-issue ROTJ mini series.

Dark Horse's Star Wars series kept the same numbering when it renamed Star Wars: Republic at #46 until #84 when it got renamed Star Wars: Dark Times with dual numbering. The new numbering on the cover and total series number on the inside cover, so technically Marvel needs to reach issue #116 to overtake the old Dark Horse line and honestly I think they want to just so they can print LONGEST STAR WARS SERIES across the top of it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

OhFunny posted:

Definitely.

Marvel's original Star Wars series went to issue #107. I guess it's 114 issues in total with the 3 annuals and the 4-issue ROTJ mini series.

Dark Horse's Star Wars series kept the same numbering when it renamed Star Wars: Republic at #46 until #84 when it got renamed Star Wars: Dark Times with dual numbering. The new numbering on the cover and total series number on the inside cover, so technically Marvel needs to reach issue #116 to overtake the old Dark Horse line and honestly I think they want to just so they can print LONGEST STAR WARS SERIES across the top of it.

Ah yes, I knew it was in the early 100s, checked Wookieepedia and neglected to count the annuals and ROTJ (not sure why ROTJ was separate...ANH and TESB were part of the regular run..)

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The original Marvel run had some weird issues with ROTJ. For a few months after the movie came out, they kept printing pre-ROTJ stories. And even after they would occasionally have a pre-ROTJ issue in the middle of their post-ROTJ storyline about the Rebels recruiting planets for the Galactic Conference.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
In the latest Aphra ... Did 000 kill Figrin Dan and the Modal Nodes?????!?!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

There could be more than one band that looks like Fingrin' Dan and the Modal Nodes...

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Star Wars usually operates under the logic that all species are physically identical to, and have the same job as, whatever members were in the movies. It is entirely possible that there are a lot off Bith bands that wear black shirts and solely play in dive bars.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
no man they're dead and now my CD is worth more money

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Eh, by Cantina Band #3 and #4 I think the nodes were really riding off past success so I suppose It's good they went out on top.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Jerkface posted:

no man they're dead and now my CD is worth more money

That's not what those songs are called! One is "Mad About Me" and I forget the other one.

I, uh, read that one book about what everyone in the cantina was doing that day.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

That's not what those songs are called! One is "Mad About Me" and I forget the other one.

I, uh, read that one book about what everyone in the cantina was doing that day.

Don’t be ashamed, that book (and the Jabba’s Palace one) are cool. When I massively scaled back my collection of SW novels, those were some of the few I kept (along with, like, the Xwing books).

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
I liked the cantina tales book but the tales from jabbas palace one is the best because boba fetts story is about him being volcel when jabba offers him a night with slave leia. #nofapfett

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There's one story from the Mos Eisley Cantina one I really liked, about how Labria (the guy with devil horns) was actually a fugitive war criminal and music-lover who orchestrated this overly-complex scheme to get the Modal Nodes a residency at the cantina. It was like something from an Elmore Leonard novel.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I like the Weequay one where they're revealed to worship a magic 8-ball.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Honestly, while everyone else may opine that we dodged a bullet, personally I'm a bit disappointed to have missed out on a Mos Eisley movie when they cancelled the Star Wars Story movies because I think you could do a fun "22 Short Films About Mos Eisley" thing.

That's the movie Lord and Miller should have been put to work on.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Aug 26, 2018

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Wheat Loaf posted:

they cancelled the Star Wars Story movies

This never happened.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Wheat Loaf posted:

There's one story from the Mos Eisley Cantina one I really liked, about how Labria (the guy with devil horns) was actually a fugitive war criminal and music-lover who orchestrated this overly-complex scheme to get the Modal Nodes a residency at the cantina. It was like something from an Elmore Leonard novel.

Labria’s story gets a payoff in Boba Fett’s story in the Bounty Hunter anthology, too.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Xenomrph posted:

Labria’s story gets a payoff in Boba Fett’s story in the Bounty Hunter anthology, too.

Oh, yeah, I remember that. Did Daniel Keys Moran write both of them? I know he did the other Fett stories in various anthologies.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

He did, but that might have been the story he wrote under a pseudonym because he didn't like the edits that were done to it.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Fuckin' everyone in the bar that day has a real significant life. The guy in the astronaut suit is a Jedi sensitive. The ladies with coiled cone beehive hair are spies. The werewolf dies either at the battle of Yavin or Endor, and he was in love with the tentacle eyeball monster. Wuher the bartender made the best drink in the galaxy out of Ponda Baba's severed arm. Nobody just had a beer and went home.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Well I mean a lot of them did, they just did other stuff later. That soup-vampire guy just smokes his pipe if I remember right.

Isn’t Wuher shouting “No blasters! No blasters” the one linking moment that happens in all of the stories?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Phy posted:

Fuckin' everyone in the bar that day has a real significant life. The guy in the astronaut suit is a Jedi sensitive. The ladies with coiled cone beehive hair are spies. The werewolf dies either at the battle of Yavin or Endor, and he was in love with the tentacle eyeball monster. Wuher the bartender made the best drink in the galaxy out of Ponda Baba's severed arm. Nobody just had a beer and went home.

Point of order: he made the drink out of Greedo's corpse.

I like the soup vampire guy partly because I liked the Quinlan Vos comics where the Anzati are recurring adversaries and partly because there's one line from the Essential Guide to Characters which is fantastic taken out of context: "Only one man ever complained about Jerriko's high prices. Jerriko drank his soup. The man died."

Edit: He also has a bit where he muses on how he's a thousand years old and hasn't seen a Jedi in nearly a century, because authors had no idea what the timeframe for the prequel era (which I'm pretty sure people knew was coming by that point but nobody other than Lucas knew what was going to be in it) was going to be. Writers wildly speculating about the pre-OT setting is good fun (my favourite is Marvel's Star Wars Annual #1 from 1978 which features a Clone Wars adventure with Obi-Wan and his two apprentices, Darth Vader and Luke's father) and I regret that nobody's ever compiled them in one place.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Aug 27, 2018

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Larocca hasn't been tracing for this last arc and it's much improved my enjoyment of it.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Need more stories with the Monster Hunter couple in the Aphra annual, they were great. Well, the wife was anyway.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I finally took the plunge and started reading the Doctor Aphra trade paperbacks, and I'm having a real good time. I've finished the first volume and just finished the "annual" in volume 2. I only bought the first two because the Amazon reviews for those two were largely high, but volume 3's reviews took a nosedive. Did I do the right thing in skipping that one?

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
No. All of Aphra is fabulous.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm not sure what's in volume 3, but the only bits of Aphra I haven't enjoyed so much were the weird space vampire crossover with the main Star Wars title.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Would volume three by any chance be the one where she kisses another woman a couple of times?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It sure is!

(TBF, though, the other reviews that have actual things written have more reasonable criticisms, and only other one mentions that at all, saying it felt rushed, but not against the idea.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I always pity the kids of parents like that. It's super clear that this guy is either explicitly or implicitly teaching his kids that same sex relationships are in some way bad or inappropriate. That's always depressing to see.