Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Also I am happy ThinkTank is alive and hopefully soon will be well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
Though why exactly was Stars and Garters serenading him at the hospital?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Maybe he doesn't know he's a supervillain. Could just be Tompkins trying to help a fellow professor with a superhero visit.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Might just be part of a volunteer community service. I love the same guy earlier just played 300 instead of teaching the mans class too.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Fighting Trousers posted:

That was a pretty pro "is this diegetic music or just a maudlin deathbed exposition scene?" fakeout incidentally.

http://www.adultswim.com/videos/space-ghost-coast-to-coast/terminal/

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
A lot of protagonists and antagonists have weird, friend-when-they-aren't-fighting relationships like Dr. Mrs. The Monarch and Rusty in Return to Malice

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

SeanBeansShako posted:

Just two more ghosts to an already very haunted tower.
I did love the Triad revealing that VenTech Tower and/or the Venture family is haunted as gently caress, just loaded up with angry ghosts... but that was just incidental, and had nothing to do with the actual problem at-hand.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Remember stars and garters works for Wide Wale.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
Also, in the Ventureverse, how likely is it that Stars & Garters would not know that the freaky-looking, super-genius dude with the gigantic head was a supervillain? I bet they talked shop all the time when they were at their day jobs (and thus off the clock from their night jobs).

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

They're co-workers, he took over Think Tank's philosophy class.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Pope Guilty posted:

I really don't see Hunter taking orders from Jonas.
We also wouldn't have believed that Treister would be so incompetent as to fall so completely for the Sovereign's little gambit either. The heads of the O.S.I aren't actually good at their job.

tarlibone posted:

And on that note, I really hope they continue to let Doc enjoy financial success, even if that success occurs in spite of, and not because of, his efforts. I want to see this because they're flipping the script (ewwwww... God, I can't believe I just typed that) on the Monarch, and I want to see how the Monarch works his way back up to arching a suddenly successful Dr. Venture when he doesn't have the endless supply of trust fund money that he's always taken for granted. There is a poetic justice in seeing Monarch finally go full Rusty, burning through his inheritance in the fruitless pursuit of something fate decided he'd never be able to achieve.
Looking back, it's obvious how much of a privileged little poo poo the Monarch was for wanting to only arch Rusty because he truly hated him, while obviously disdaining villains who considered the thing like a job. Dude, you only got the chance to feel like that because you were born filthy rich!

Phenotype posted:

I like to think she never wanted to think about any of it again and switched schools, or that she ended up hooking up with Aziz Ansari instead.
I'm pretty sure she doesn't remember any of it and neither does Dean.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Interesting that Dean and Sirena are shown to have something in common; they've both grown up around the supervillain lifestyle and they're both clearly and utterly sick of it, and they both happen to be in a class (the only ones, in fact- maybe not a coincidence) with another child of a supervillain who has zero interest in the lifestyle- possibly an ideal mentor for both of them, or at least someone who shares their experience of being born into the lifestyle and wanting the gently caress out. (and another reason Dean probably dreads getting in a fight with Hank over Sirena; Dean and Sirena both want out of the super-science game while Hank seems ready to embrace it)
I wonder why the guy was arched if he doesn't have an interest in the life-style? Don't you need to apply to the Guild to get an arch? With Rusty doing it out of habit because a super-scientist is supposed to have an arch?

The Notorious ZSB posted:

It seems abundantly clear Jonas cared about nothing but himself and his image.
Jonas has hosed over every person with whom he was associated, with the exception of Colonel Gentleman : we all know what he did to Rusty and the Blue Morpho, he forced Kano to leave the Blue Morpho's service and enter his and (speculating a little bit here) the Action Man's sociopathy was probably the result of the addictive super-soldier drug he put him on.

deong posted:

^^Hover belt was cool. Wonder if Rusty did anything to it vs JJ. Looked the same^^
Can we call this some sort of dick move? The fact that Rusty's using it to show-off whereas JJ built it as a way to somewhat lessen the societal effect of his dwarfism?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I have to admit, as much as I like watching the week's episode on Friday, and have every intention of re-watching it on DVR, but it's akin to finding your Christmas presents before they've been wrapped.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

X_Toad posted:

I wonder why the guy was arched if he doesn't have an interest in the life-style? Don't you need to apply to the Guild to get an arch? With Rusty doing it out of habit because a super-scientist is supposed to have an arch?

Think Tank just wanted to play chess with Rusty, so maybe he was hoping to get a more cerebral arch too. Maybe he's only a member because his dad insisted he apply for an arch if he wouldn't be a villain. The way 21 talked about him he sounds like he's still alive, and might even get a seat on the Council. Plus if he doesn't have the Guild looking out for him he'll get swarmed by every Tom, Dick, and Skeletor trying to make a name for themselves killing the son of Vigo von Hellfire.

X_Toad posted:

Jonas has hosed over every person with whom he was associated, with the exception of Colonel Gentleman : we all know what he did to Rusty and the Blue Morpho, he forced Kano to leave the Blue Morpho's service and enter his and (speculating a little bit here) the Action Man's sociopathy was probably the result of the addictive super-soldier drug he put him on.

Action Man told Triple Threat that he only took Jump Juice (or whatever its called) because of Jonas. On one of the commentaries they said he just took speed so Jonas made his friend a drug addict by telling him he needed to use to be useful.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

X_Toad posted:

I wonder why the guy was arched if he doesn't have an interest in the life-style? Don't you need to apply to the Guild to get an arch? With Rusty doing it out of habit because a super-scientist is supposed to have an arch?

It seems like if you're related to a protagonist/antagonist, or when you reach a certain level of super science you just get an arch, even if you aren't interested in it at all. That hemorrhoid doctor last season sure didn't seem to want an arch.

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Aug 26, 2018

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
JJ definitely didn’t want an arch.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011
OK, I just realized something : why is Dean wearing what seems to be a suit jacket over a hoodie?

White Coke posted:

The way 21 talked about him he sounds like he's still alive, and might even get a seat on the Council.
Von Helping referred to him in the past tense though. And I'm assuming not in a "He's not my father anymore" way either, what with keeping a picture of the guy on his desk.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
I imagine that guys like Orpheus who actively sought out an arch are pretty rare, which is probably the Triad was allowed to hold auditions.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

Rand Brittain posted:

JJ definitely didn’t want an arch.

Yeah, JJ didn't sign up for arching. Probably you just get assigned an arch if you're prominent/important in some way.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

WrathOfBlade posted:

My only gripe is that Sirena was kind of bland and underwritten, which is sad 'cause she's been a really fun character until now. Why is she taking night botany classes, anyway?
That may be because she had less reasons to be angry at people this episode and so kept the volume down. The "Bye Jared" gag was every bit Sirena though, as was her nonchalance when 21 put a dagger to her throat.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Improbable Lobster posted:

I imagine that guys like Orpheus who actively sought out an arch are pretty rare, which is probably the Triad was allowed to hold auditions.
Could be that the default is that anyone of significance is going to get an arch, and the GCI just assigns someone to them based on the antagonist's preference and Guild level. Perhaps if someone signs up to be arched and plays their game, the incentive for the protagonist is that the Guild gives them at least some say in who it's going to be. Seems like the kind of weird bureaucratic weirdness that this world runs on.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

X_Toad posted:

OK, I just realized something : why is Dean wearing what seems to be a suit jacket over a hoodie?

I JUST CAN'T UNDERSTAND FASHION

THE drat KIDS
THESE DAYS

wearing a blazer over casual clothes was super in vogue in like, 2008

So uh

yeah, Dean's 10 years out of touch there

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

To be fair to Dean, It's hard as hell to stay in touch in fashion when until recently you were taught by a talking bed and died a lot.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011
OK, more of my random thoughts. It's interesting to me that Hank seems to have met something that he can't easily bounce from like he usually does : loneliness. Not having Dean around is already taking its toll and it's only been a day!

And as bad a parent as Rusty is, Hank seems to have stumbled upon the one thing that he seems capable of doing to make his sons' life better : get them away from him and his universe by making it unbearable, but not realizing that it might not be the best thing to do for Hank.

Was there another time when the Monarch was so terrified/surprised by someone suddenly getting angry? His face when von Helping's eyes went black was pure terror.

The Mighty Monarch has a bank account under that name, because of course he does.

And the Captain is back! Yeah!

X_Toad fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Aug 26, 2018

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

big dyke energy posted:

Yeah, JJ didn't sign up for arching. Probably you just get assigned an arch if you're prominent/important in some way.

Given the events of this episode, we may be going into that in more detail this season — not everybody signs up for an arching. If you have an arch and don't want one, you're going to be harassed for the rest of your life and there's nothing you can do about it. The police won't help you. If you try to fight back in a way that isn't playing along with the game, the Guild will strike back with disproportionate force — "you throw a knife, we murder your children while you're sleeping."

Not everybody can give the Monarch a million dollars to go away for an evening.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

big dyke energy posted:

They're co-workers, he took over Think Tank's philosophy class.

RIGHT. Geez, I can't believe I missed that.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Given how teared-up he sounded, he might actually care for him a lot too.

X_Toad fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Aug 27, 2018

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
It took me a minute to get it, just because he was in his hero outfit.

It's extremely funny to me that Dean is desperately trying to get away from super science hero villian junk by moving away to college, but he's still surrounded by it constantly. You can never run away, Dean!!!

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

big dyke energy posted:

You can never run away, Dean!!!
Maybe he is the magnet, not super-science! Man, that would be depressing.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

This whole time, I thought Tompkins and Jared were both professors considering how Tompkins was loving with him when they were first introduced out of costume. (And Jared is drawn in that ambiguous way that made me think he was at least in his early/mid-thirties.) His being a student makes his random jobs make a little more sense but paints Tompkins as an even bigger dick.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

AlternateNu posted:

This whole time, I thought Tompkins and Jared were both professors considering how Tompkins was loving with him when they were first introduced out of costume. (And Jared is drawn in that ambiguous way that made me think he was at least in his early/mid-thirties.) His being a student makes his random jobs make a little more sense but paints Tompkins as an even bigger dick.
You mean Jared isn't the same age as Thompkins? I thought he was a grown man going back to school.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
He's at the nebulous Peter Parker age where you look thirty despite being a college freshmen because it's the 1960s

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Well Hank and Dean have been ~18-19 for 20 years so its only fair.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Improbable Lobster posted:

He's at the nebulous Peter Parker age where you look thirty despite being a college freshmen because it's the 1960s

I was looking at my stepdad's high school yearbooks from the mid-seventies and almost every one of the boys looks 40. It's bizarre.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Sockser posted:

THE drat KIDS
THESE DAYS

So uh

A comic-style sliding timeline should include fashion, too.

Though in a recent Spider-Man they flashed back to comics from the 60s and everyone was wearing their 90s clothes instead so...

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

X_Toad posted:

Maybe he is the magnet, not super-science! Man, that would be depressing.

He could only get away if he changes his name and moves to loving Nunavut, but then I garuntee you he'd run into some snow-themed supervillain or someone trying to steal the north Pole or whatever

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
That was a great episode and a nice breather. I like the fact even how last episode Monarch claimed he took out the Blue Morpho that it would shoot him up in the ranks, but nope he's actually back to where he started. At least Monarch is a bit more receptive to actually listening to his wife. It's also nice to see that Think Tank survived. I remember how last season all these new villans and they get merc'd by Blue Morpho and Kano, or be indirectly the cause of death.

Gotta love how Dean was totally caught off guard that Monarch was aggreable. It's like yeah Dean, he don't hate you, he hates the hell out of Rusty.

In terms of a potential love triangle.. Ehhh, I dont' think Dean will seeing as he knows this is Hank's girlfriend. He just hasn't interacted with women very much, apart from Triana, the last one he interacted with was Talia and unforunately her memory is pretty much wiped of their encounter.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Aug 27, 2018

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

X_Toad posted:

Was there another time when the Monarch was so terrified/surprised by someone suddenly getting angry? His face when von Helping's eyes went black was pure terror.

Red Death's Taken speech

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Sockser posted:

THE drat KIDS
THESE DAYS

So uh

Yeah a ton of people wore a blazer or a suit coat over a hoodie in the mid-aughts, I definitely was guilty of it as an undergrad. I teach at a university and Dean looks nothing like a 2018 freshman but very much like a fairly fashion-conscious but not necessarily sartorially daring 2008 freshman.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
So does this thread have a consistent rule about spoiler tags or not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Peter Capaldi rocked that look as The Doctor.