Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

PetraCore posted:

Yeah I watched because I thought it would be distant shots at the very end but I cut out really fast for my own mental health. I've heard some chatter that the people in the PIP were confirmed okay and then all that stopped because apparently that was a mistaken identity, and now I think one of them is confirmed dead? It's real hosed up.

Madden player SteveyJ, who has a checkmark and all and was there, says that he saw Trueboy and Spotmeplzzz dead
http://twitter.com/ImSteveyJ/status/1033817390797254657

Multiple people have confirmed that the guy with the laser on him was Trueboy.

http://twitter.com/LyndenTrail7/status/1033781319631859712

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

What happened?

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
An angry nerd lost a video game.

More discussion in GBS: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3867015

xtal has a new favorite as of 01:01 on Aug 27, 2018

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

oh ok posted:

Trueboy (Eli Clayton, the guy who had the laser dot painted on him) was shot in the chest and died. Jon Rice, the guy next to him, was unharmed. I think they're still figuring out who else is alive and who is dead. A lot of other people got shot and I think there's four confirmed fatalities. Trueboy, SpotMe (Taylor Robertson), and the shooter, Bread (David Katz) who killed himself, plus one other still unidentified.
Yeah it fucks me up that I accidentally watched someone's last moments, I didn't even notice the laser dot. Part of me feels like that's a selfish response to have because it's not like it's any more horrible than it already was just because I saw right before it happened, but that's not how the brain works I guess.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

PetraCore posted:

Yeah it fucks me up that I accidentally watched someone's last moments, I didn't even notice the laser dot. Part of me feels like that's a selfish response to have because it's not like it's any more horrible than it already was just because I saw right before it happened, but that's not how the brain works I guess.

Ugh, do you remember the reporter girl shot on live TV? And then the shooter uploaded his POV on Twitter? That made me sick for days.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

GelatinSkeleton posted:

What happened?

One of the competitors in a Madden Football videogame tournament lost, so he shot a bunch of people and then himself. It's hosed up.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Pick posted:

Ugh, do you remember the reporter girl shot on live TV? And then the shooter uploaded his POV on Twitter? That made me sick for days.
I didn't see that fortunately.

EDIT: Definitely would have messed me up for days, too. And it's p unnerving there's been so much shootings in my life I can't even remember hearing about that one.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

PetraCore posted:

I didn't see that fortunately.

EDIT: Definitely would have messed me up for days, too. And it's p unnerving there's been so much shootings in my life I can't even remember hearing about that one.

It's the worst one I've ever seen. The guy killed the cameraman as well. Wiki link

quote:

News reporter Alison Parker and photojournalist Adam Ward, employees of CBS affiliate WDBJ in Roanoke, Virginia, United States, were fatally shot on August 26, 2015, while conducting a live television interview near Smith Mountain Lake in Moneta. The news team was interviewing Vicki Gardner, executive director of the local chamber of commerce, when all three were attacked by a gunman. Parker, age 24, and Ward, age 27, died at the scene while Gardner survived.[5][6]

The gunman was 41-year-old Vester Lee Flanagan II, also known by the professional pseudonym of Bryce Williams, a former reporter at WDBJ. The station fired him for disruptive conduct in 2013.[7] After a manhunt that lasted for almost five hours, he shot himself during a car chase with police officers and died later at a hospital.[8][9][10]

Murders
Parker and Ward were conducting a live interview with Gardner at Bridgewater Plaza in Moneta, Virginia, about upcoming events for the 50th anniversary of Smith Mountain Lake, located 26 miles (42 km) southeast of Roanoke. The shooting occurred at 6:46 a.m. Eastern Time in the middle of the segment, which was broadcast on WDBJ's morning news program, Mornin'. Video of the incident showed Parker conducting the interview, before at least eight gunshots were heard, followed by screams. Ward's camera fell to the ground, briefly capturing the image of Flanagan holding a Glock 19 9mm pistol.[1][2]

WDBJ production master control operators then switched back to Mornin' anchor Kimberly McBroom at the station's news studio, seemingly confused by what had just happened. She later said she believed the noises could have been a car backfiring or shots being fired in the background.[11]

Immediate aftermath
Parker and Ward died at the scene. Gardner was also shot, but survived following surgery at Carilion Roanoke Memorial Hospital.[12][13][14][15] According to the state medical examiner's office, Parker died from gunshot wounds to her head and chest, while Ward died from shots to his head and torso.[16] Gardner was shot in the back after she curled up into a fetal position in an attempt to play dead.[17][18] A total of 15 shots were fired during the shooting.[19]

After reviewing video of the incident from Ward's fallen camera, staff in the WDBJ newsroom identified Flanagan as the likely gunman. They alerted the station's general manager, Jeffrey Marks, who passed the information to the county sheriff.[20] At 8:23 a.m., Flanagan faxed ABC News and then phoned shortly after 10:00 a.m., making a confession.[21] During the ensuing manhunt, authorities tracked Flanagan's cell phone to locate him.[22]

After abandoning his Ford Mustang at Roanoke–Blacksburg Regional Airport, Flanagan drove a rented Chevrolet Sonic north on I-81, then east on I-66. An automated license plate reader in a Virginia state trooper's car identified the rented Sonic at 11:20 a.m. The trooper called for backup and attempted to initiate a traffic stop, but Flanagan sped away. After a pursuit of less than two miles, Flanagan's car ran off the side of the road and struck an embankment near Markham.[23] Flanagan was found inside the car with gunshot wounds,[9] which were apparently self-inflicted while he was driving.[24] He was airlifted to Inova Fairfax Hospital in Falls Church, Virginia, where he was declared dead at 1:26 p.m.[10][25][26]

e: Note when I say "uploaded his POV" I mean he was filming himself kill them and then posted it on Twitter.

Pick has a new favorite as of 01:30 on Aug 27, 2018

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

PetraCore posted:

It's OK to be traumatized after you see someone else murdered. Doesn't matter if it happens in person or in the corner of a video on Twitter, it's horrific and there's no correct way to react. You're just being human :glomp:

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Pick posted:

It's the worst one I've ever seen. The guy killed the cameraman as well. Wiki link

e: Note when I say "uploaded his POV" I mean he was filming himself kill them and then posted it on Twitter.
Jeez, that's horrifying. He just had to get in his last say by uploading that, huh.

GWBBQ posted:

It's OK to be traumatized after you see someone else murdered. Doesn't matter if it happens in person or in the corner of a video on Twitter, it's horrific and there's no correct way to react. You're just being human :glomp:
Thanks. I mostly brought it up to confirm why nobody should watch that video if they're not prepared for it, I knew I'd hear gunshots but wasn't expecting what I'd gotten.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Pick posted:

this is very stupid but lol now there's been two high-profile shootings on separate birthdays of mine in the past 3(?) years :allears:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

The Snoo posted:

this is very stupid but lol now there's been two high-profile shootings on separate birthdays of mine in the past 3(?) years :allears:

How do you have more than one birthday?

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

the unnerving thing is that I can't word poo poo properly :hai:

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
Uuurgh that reminds me that some rear end in a top hat at a bar showed me the Robert Godwin shooting video.
We had spoken briefly about true crime podcasts while I was waiting for my friend. He later interrupted our conversation to show me the video because he "thought I might like it". I didn't hear the murderer say that he was going to kill someone at the start of the video because I was still putting in one of the headphones. I thought it was going to be some amusing Vine-like thing because the rear end in a top hat was looking at me grinning from ear to ear.

Sometimes I randomely get a glimpse of that poor old man yelling that he doesn't know who the murderer is talking about.:(:

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Sarcopenia posted:

Uuurgh that reminds me that some rear end in a top hat at a bar showed me the Robert Godwin shooting video.
We had spoken briefly about true crime podcasts while I was waiting for my friend. He later interrupted our conversation to show me the video because he "thought I might like it". I didn't hear the murderer say that he was going to kill someone at the start of the video because I was still putting in one of the headphones. I thought it was going to be some amusing Vine-like thing because the rear end in a top hat was looking at me grinning from ear to ear.

Sometimes I randomely get a glimpse of that poor old man yelling that he doesn't know who the murderer is talking about.:(:

Oh thanks

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

Pick posted:

The uplifting news after this is that her boyfriend, Chris Hurst, has since quit journalism and been elected to the Virginia House of Delegates and is a truly amazing person.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
do not click on the audio link imo it's extremely upsetting

I regret that so much right now.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

The Snoo posted:

No more stupid than my comment about the one guy's thumb! The human reacts to tragedy in weird ways sometimes.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
Looks like there being 4 deaths was misreported. "Only" 2 victims and the shooter, the injured are all reported to be on stable condition.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
The unnerving thing is this:
https://twitter.com/ChrisLutolf/status/1033805973138415616?s=19

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Yeah, but there's literally nothing we can do about it. It's not like you can change the constitution or something. It's impossible.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Solice Kirsk posted:

Yeah, but there's literally nothing we can do about it. It's not like you can change the constitution or something. It's impossible.

I know you are being facetious, but you are right. The existing system cannot be saved, the only way things will get better is building alternate systems.

vvv Well most people feel, rightly, that no one cares about them and nothing they do as an individual will help. That's why I say we need to build alternate systems where we can pool our resources and exist outside the capitalist system. vvv

Gynocentric Regime has a new favorite as of 14:48 on Aug 27, 2018

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The harder thing to come to grips with is that people just don't care enough for it to change.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

No no no, we should *not* get back into gun chat.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Good looking out. Just remembered this place the other day:

http://www.isladelasmunecas.com/

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang posted:

No no no, we should *not* get back into gun chat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xlr2ZMTc52E

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Big changes happen all the time. As an example, think about the fact that in your parents generation, it was common for everyone’s dogs to just wander around the neighborhood. That happened over ~ one generation and it wasn’t anyone’s huge legislative focus.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Here’s some unnerving content from the area where I grew up: a neurosurgeon so utterly incompetent he should never have been allowed to operate in the first place.

quote:

Duntsch’s patient outcomes would draw lots of attention over the years. There was Kellie Martin, who died from massive blood loss after a surgery at Baylor Plano. There was Floella Brown, whose sliced vertebral artery triggered the stroke that killed her at Dallas Medical Center. There was Duntsch’s childhood friend, Jerry Summers, who woke up from a procedure unable to move his arms and legs. There was a dissection of one patient’s esophagus, and screws that an indictment labeled “far too long” that caused significant blood loss in another patient. One surgeon described these as “never events.” They shouldn’t ever happen in someone’s entire career. And yet they occurred in Duntsch’s operating rooms over a period of just two years.

and also doing a shitton of drugs

quote:

During a deposition with Passmore’s lawyer, attorney James Girards, a woman named Megan Kane recalls Duntsch eating a paper blotter of LSD and taking prescription painkillers on his birthday in either 2006 or 2007. She also says they snorted cocaine from a small pile that he kept on a dresser in his home office. Also present, according to Kane, was Jerry Summers, the childhood friend who would later wake up a quadriplegic after a Duntsch operation. Kane dated Summers for a year. After they all partied through the night, powered by LSD and cocaine, she said she saw Duntsch put on his lab coat to make rounds the next morning.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Tbf there's nothing wrong with doing a shitton of drugs

New Wave Jose
Aug 20, 2008

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I hope you are joking. Some job require that you are sober. I think surgeon is one

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
So they saw him going to work after just partying super hard and the guy still let him operate on him? Sounds like a good judgement call

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Doc Ellis, America's greatest hero, threw a no hitter in the midst of 2 day acid trip
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vUhSYLRw14

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Dr. Braindoctordrugmankillalot-Smith, at your service

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Hey, if I had to cut people up every day, I'd want to be rocked off my rear end too.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Aesop Poprock posted:

So they saw him going to work after just partying super hard and the guy still let him operate on him? Sounds like a good judgement call

Yes, what part of "this dude and I get shitfaced on the reg" makes you think "I want him to do my brain surgery?"

Neither Doc Ellis nor Dr. Hunter S. Thompson performed operations. :colbert: So I am fine with their drug use.

ubachung
Jul 30, 2006

New Wave Jose posted:

I hope you are joking. Some job require that you are sober. I think surgeon is one

Did you just mentally append 'and then going to work as a surgeon' to that goon's post or what?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

This story has so many remarkable similarities to Bud Holland.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

ubachung posted:

Did you just mentally append 'and then going to work as a surgeon' to that goon's post or what?

The case being discussed is a guy doing a bunch of drugs and then going to work as a brain surgeon, yes, that is what we’re talking about.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Who wants a good old fashioned murder/suicide from a single father with apparently no discernible motive? Well you're in luck! Chicago has you covered!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

There are a variety of societal pressures on women that might make them want to get breast implants and I do not fault them for getting them.

But these ones grow on their own and don't stop oh god (:nws:)