Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

pmchem posted:

I wrote a python script to stochastically optimize my auction draft strategy for tonight. ohgod what am I doing

How do you guys determine your auction values? It's so hit and miss.

Great point about hit and miss. One year I made up 30 potential budgets for my roster and then the next auction my team fit none of them!

The auction chart my dad and I wrote has been doing great, recently reaching the fifth spot on the first page of Google for common 2018 auction value search terms. Part of the reason is that, except for the fish bowl, we only do auction. Also thanks for the early help critiquing that list, everyone!

A quick and dirty way is to grab someone else's values, then look at changes you might make based on rankings... They have Saquon above Gordon but you like Gordon better? Knock Saquon down a few bucks and Gordon up a few until they have switched places.

Note: This is for 12+ man auctions. With 10 or fewer just throw everything out the window and get every guy you want because it's a candy store.

When we actually sit down in May/June to write our chart, it takes 3-4 hours, but generally follows a few rules... Like a top 3 overall pick is usually worth somewhere around $65. Tweak it a little (or a lot) based on how they stack up to past top players. Then we work down from there: A tier 1A or 1B RB is usually worth high $40s to high $50s, a high end RB2 should clear $40... stuff like that. Gives us a baseline that we can tweak based on how much better/worse a player is looking compared to similarly ranked players from different years. Also, scarcity plays a big part, which is why our WR2s are lower than most of the rest of the industry: There's just so many you should wait for a bargain.

The good thing about making an auction list for one particular draft is that you only have to list players you like. So instead of worrying about 180 players, just find 30-40 you like and figure out how much it's going to take to get them. Then piece together some sample rosters to see how it looks, assuming you're going to pay ~5% over market for the higher end (top 36) guys.

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Aug 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Ayudo posted:

My point isn't that he doesn't catch the ball at an elite level. It's that the Saints don't employ their scatback as a between the tackles bellcow. Both Reggie Bush and Darren Sproles have led the team in receptions in 2006 and 2011 receptively. And, Sproles also lead the team in rushing that year to the tune of 600 yards, but both Mark Ingram and Pierre Thomas out carried him.

A top 5 finish could happen for Kamara where it didn't for these other guys. But, I don't find that very likely personally.

Yeah, it's interesting to think about what's reasonable to expect from Kamara's workload. Rotoworld says he out-snapped Ingram over the last 8 games of the year, but he never out-carried him, and never exceeded 12 carries in a game. Ingram also remained super involved, edging Kamara out in carries 107 to 68 and being behind in receptions 27 to 44. If you bump Kamara's carries by 50% / 60, he's still only up to 180, and that would leave Ingram going from 230 to 170 if they all came from his totals. Is Kamara going to increase his receiving, after hitting 81 catches? He already had 100 targets, 19% share of team targets. Ingram had 58 on 71 targets. Those two, Michael Thomas, and Ginn made up the vast majority of the team's carries and targets, so not a whole lot of departed volume for Kamara to absorb, it really does have to come directly from Ingram or the receivers.

Certainly seems like Kamara can siphon some work from Ingram, but not a ton. Keep his receiving numbers the same, add 60-80 carries from Ingram and AP, drop ypc to 5 and touchdown rate to Ingram's 12 TDs on 230 carries (which was the best I saw of the top 20ish RBs), and you're looking at a rushing line of 180-200 carries, 900-1000 yards, and 9-10 touchdowns, to go along with 80-800-5 receiving. That'd be behind DJ's 2016 by ~200 yards and ~5 touchdowns, and right around Bell's best.

Feels fairly ceiling-ish to me, but what do any Kamara fans or detractors think? I suspect Ingram isn't going to cede that much to Kamara, and that perhaps Kamara's efficiency will dip below 5 ypc, but he seems like a great bet for top 5 numbers.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

89 posted:

I did. And now I'm slightly regretting it after doing more reading. Although, it's close and Melvin is gonna do just fine.

Not regretting passing on Zeke,though

I'm more jealous of the guys around the end of the draft who can grab Gordon & Fournette/CMC

Just to clarify... you took Melvin over Zeke?

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
So are we still jizzing on Taywon Taylor as this years Tajae Sharpe? The guy who seems quite ironically ahead of him in the order.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

pmchem posted:

I wrote a python script to stochastically optimize my auction draft strategy for tonight. ohgod what am I doing

How do you guys determine your auction values? It's so hit and miss.

I should learn Python. Excel is starting to reach its limits for BeerSheets.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I should learn Python. Excel is starting to reach its limits for BeerSheets.

You wouldn't regret it.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
That noise you hear is Dede Westbrook and Keelan Cole's values crashing through the ceiling

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Spoeank posted:

That noise you hear is Dede Westbrook and Keelan Cole's values crashing through the ceiling

They're still Jags. No WR on that team was a high pick in fantasy, and they still won't be.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Gimme dat Dede

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Alright guys, picking #4 out of 10 people. My main draft.

QB: Andrew Luck
RB: David Johnson
RB: Dalvin Cook
FLEX: Devonta Freeman
WR: Doug Baldwin
WR: Brandin Cooks
WR: Chris Hogan
TE: Delanie Walker
K: whocares
DL: Khalil Mack
DL: Everson Griffen
LB: Kwon Alexander
LB: Mark Barron
LB: Jordan Hicks
DB: Reshad Jones
DB: Karl Joseph

Bench:
Jerick McKinnon (5th round lol)
Michael Crabtree
Kerryon Johnson
Marquis Goodwin
Jordan Reed
Sammy Watkins (22nd round)
Isaiah Crowell (24th round)
Courtland Sutton
Carlos Dunlap
Reuban Foster (will be a beast)
Jatavis Brown

5th and 6th round was almost exclusively defense. Was an unpredictable draft, big time. Biiiig time. My draft was all about value.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Noted Undrafted: Peyton Barber and Keelan Cole.

Only 4 waiver moves a week, so you gotta have a defensive bench. If anything, my bench is already tiny for defense.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
I need to drop Sutton for Keelan Cole, don't i. Or Barber

89 fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Aug 26, 2018

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I’m super high on Dede but it’s mostly because I picked him up for $1 in dynasty before anyone in my league had even heard of him (thanks to the posters ITT).

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Office league drafted tonight. Regular scoring except 0.5 PPR, 0.3 PPC and 0.1 per completion. I didn't draft a K or DST and I ran out of spots I wanted for upside WRs. I went RB/RB/RB to take advantage of the 0.3 PPC. If they are going to invite me to a ten team league they need to at least have the common courtesy of giving me like 25 bench spots to work with. Nick Chubb is in case poo poo gets weird with Hyde between now and week 1 and Keelan Cole is pending the Marqise Lee outcome. They're both likely to get bounced off the team before week 1 so I can get a kicker/DST

1. (4) Ezekiel Elliott (Dal - RB)
2. (17) Leonard Fournette (Jax - RB)
3. (24) Devonta Freeman (Atl - RB)
4. (37) Demaryius Thomas (Den - WR)
5. (44) Cam Newton (Car - QB)
6. (57) Allen Robinson II (Chi - WR)
7. (64) Marquise Goodwin (SF - WR)
8. (77) Carlos Hyde (Cle - RB)
9. (84) Cooper Kupp (LAR - WR)
10. (97) Jordan Reed (Was - TE)
11. (104) Tevin Coleman (Atl - RB)
12. (117) Michael Gallup (Dal - WR)
13. (124) Geronimo Allison (GB - WR)
14. (137) Nick Chubb (Cle - RB)
15. (144) Keelan Cole (Jax - WR)

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

Spoeank posted:

Office league drafted tonight. Regular scoring except 0.5 PPR, 0.3 PPC and 0.1 per completion. I didn't draft a K or DST and I ran out of spots I wanted for upside WRs. I went RB/RB/RB to take advantage of the 0.3 PPC. If they are going to invite me to a ten team league they need to at least have the common courtesy of giving me like 25 bench spots to work with. Nick Chubb is in case poo poo gets weird with Hyde between now and week 1 and Keelan Cole is pending the Marqise Lee outcome. They're both likely to get bounced off the team before week 1 so I can get a kicker/DST

1. (4) Ezekiel Elliott (Dal - RB)
2. (17) Leonard Fournette (Jax - RB)
3. (24) Devonta Freeman (Atl - RB)
4. (37) Demaryius Thomas (Den - WR)
5. (44) Cam Newton (Car - QB)
6. (57) Allen Robinson II (Chi - WR)
7. (64) Marquise Goodwin (SF - WR)
8. (77) Carlos Hyde (Cle - RB)
9. (84) Cooper Kupp (LAR - WR)
10. (97) Jordan Reed (Was - TE)
11. (104) Tevin Coleman (Atl - RB)
12. (117) Michael Gallup (Dal - WR)
13. (124) Geronimo Allison (GB - WR)
14. (137) Nick Chubb (Cle - RB)
15. (144) Keelan Cole (Jax - WR)

in a points per carry league, that team looks really strong. Obviously a bit thin at WR, but any of those guys could blow up, and Keelan Cole suddenly has huge value with Lee likely out. Edit: I'd also grab a 2nd TE (or Vernon Davis) for when Jordan Reed gets injured and misses the rest of the season.

Finished my .5ppr 12 man $200 auction league. Most of the value came super late, but people fought over a few guys with the remaining cash. RB's ended up being overpriced for most of the draft while most WR's went at cost or super cheap late. The guys who went stars and scrubs got a lot of value. I went for a mid range team, and I like it, but I think I faltered a bit by waiting so long before spending any money. TE's were also hosed. One guy went Gronk/Ertz and another took Engram/Graham/Ebron which left a few people (myself included) scrambling a bit. I have the whole draft board if anyone cares to see what it looks like.

QB: Russel Wilson $11
RB: Jerrick McKinnon $37
RB: Alex Collins $23
WR: Devante Adams $40
WR: TY Hilton $28
TE: David Njoku $6
Flex: Doug Baldwin $26
K: Greg Zuerlein $3
DST: Vikings $3
Bench: Rex Burkhead $14
Bench: Jamison Crowder $2
Bench: Peyton Barber $2
Bench: Bilal Powell $2
Bench: Matt Brieda $2
Bench: Ricky Seals-Jones $1

Frustrated fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Aug 26, 2018

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Adams is a WR1 so you didn't go all midrange guys! You'll be cutting Powell wk1 for a waiver add.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt

Alfalfa posted:

12 Man 1 PPR - 7th Pick
QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, TE, RB/WR/TE, K, D/ST

1.7 DeAndre Hopkins, HOU
2.6 Keenan Allen, LAC
3.7 Jerick McKinnon, SF
4.6 T.Y. Hilton, IND
5.7 Jay Ajayi, PHI
6.6 Evan Engram, NYG
7.7 Kirk Cousins, MIN
8.6 Kerryon Johnson, DET
9.7 Chris Thompson, WAS
10.6 Jamaal Williams, GB
11.7 Rashaad Penny, SEA
12.6 Marqise Lee, JAC
13.7 Jack Doyle, IND
14.6 Carolina Panthers, CAR
15.7 Matt Breida, SF
16.6 Harrison Butker, KC

Doyle and Engram are on the same bye week which I didn't realize but outside of that, thoughts?

Reposting since Lee is now dead. Dropped him for John Brown and Doyle for Albert Wilson

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Your RB corps is not in good shape considering that you have to start 2 each week. You basically need to hope Jamaal Williams pans out in a big way; I do not have faith in the rookies you drafted. Great value on Keenan. I wouldn't have dropped Doyle for Wilson. I think you may need to work a trade midseason.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Yeah you need RBs far more than you need Albert Wilson.

Also
https://twitter.com/Jeff_McLane/status/1033746582460608512

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!
Deep leaguers/0 RB people should consider rostering Alfred Morris, especially if you have McKinnon.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Spoeank posted:

Yeah you need RBs far more than you need Albert Wilson.

Also
https://twitter.com/Jeff_McLane/status/1033746582460608512

I have 5 rb’s who will be pass catching backs and one cuff. In 1 ppr you don’t think that’s enough?

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Just drafted my first team of the season.

How did I do?

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Aug 26, 2018

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Alfalfa posted:

I have 5 rb’s who will be pass catching backs and one cuff. In 1 ppr you don’t think that’s enough?

Four of your backs are injured and one stated himself he wont even be fully healthy until November (Thompson). If Morris makes the Niners you're involved in like 4 of the 5 messiest backfields

Spoeank fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Aug 26, 2018

Rick Grimes
Oct 12, 2005

We Are The Walking Dead
Kind of at a toss-up as far as who I should keep in one league.

Isaiah Crowell for my 10th Rd
Marvin Jones for my 11th

Can only keep 1, 1PPR, 1pt/10yds. Thoughts?

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Spoeank posted:

Four of your backs are injured and one stated himself he wont even be fully healthy until November (Thompson). If Morris makes the Niners you're involved in like 4 of the 5 messiest backfields

Think you believe too much into preseason “injuries”.

McKinnon precautionary hold out of preseason
Ajayi - precautionary hold out of preseason
Johnson not hurt
Thompson will play week 1
Penny ready week 1
Breida - handcuff

I can go get Booker, Forenan, Gore, or Hines but that doesn’t seem to be helping anything.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Rick Grimes posted:

Kind of at a toss-up as far as who I should keep in one league.

Isaiah Crowell for my 10th Rd
Marvin Jones for my 11th

Can only keep 1, 1PPR, 1pt/10yds. Thoughts?

Keep Jones. Crowell is getting shown up by Powell

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Just helped a friend of mine draft in 10 person PPR league.

QB: Matt Stafford / Ryan
RB: Alvin Kamara / Jerick McKinnon / Alex Collins / Chris Thompson / James White
WR: Keenan Allen / Larry Fitz / Doug Baldwin / Chris Hogan / Taiwan Taylor
TE: Jack Doyle / Tyler Eifert
Def: Saints
K: I forgot

They asked how it turned out and I told them congrats on your championship. I miss playing in leagues where people draft QBs in the 1st round and defenses in the 6th.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

Just drafted my first team of the season.

How did I do?

In general it's good to tell us scoring (particularly PPR) and the number of teams.

QB: You drafted Rodgers. This means you either lucked out, or drafted him too early. Either way congratulations you have the best QB in the league. Mariota is wasting space on your bench.

RB: Kamara was likely your first round pick, Cook your second. I think They're great starters. I definitely like the depth of Burkhead, who is likely a flex play, and Jones could be viable.

WR: Your starters don't particularly excite me, but your bench does. Sanders looks great and could outscore DT, Nelson apparently has shown some great speed in camp and I'm a fan of what he could do in Oakland if Cooper continues to demonstrate that he can't consistently win a contested catch.

TE: You drafted Ertz, therefore you don't need a backup.

I would drop Mariota for a waiver wire flyer, and probably Ebron too.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

In general it's good to tell us scoring (particularly PPR) and the number of teams.

QB: You drafted Rodgers. This means you either lucked out, or drafted him too early. Either way congratulations you have the best QB in the league. Mariota is wasting space on your bench.

RB: Kamara was likely your first round pick, Cook your second. I think They're great starters. I definitely like the depth of Burkhead, who is likely a flex play, and Jones could be viable.

WR: Your starters don't particularly excite me, but your bench does. Sanders looks great and could outscore DT, Nelson apparently has shown some great speed in camp and I'm a fan of what he could do in Oakland if Cooper continues to demonstrate that he can't consistently win a contested catch.

TE: You drafted Ertz, therefore you don't need a backup.

I would drop Mariota for a waiver wire flyer, and probably Ebron too.

Thanks, and sorry. 10 team standard yahoo scoring.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
Have my first draft tonight and I'm lucky enough to get the first overall pick in a full PPR snake draft. And now I can't stop overthinking whether to take Bell or Gurley. :ohdear:

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Alfalfa posted:

Think you believe too much into preseason “injuries”.

McKinnon precautionary hold out of preseason
Ajayi - precautionary hold out of preseason
Johnson not hurt
Thompson will play week 1
Penny ready week 1
Breida - handcuff

I can go get Booker, Forenan, Gore, or Hines but that doesn’t seem to be helping anything.

Alright man if you feel good about it then go for it but I wouldn't vociferously defend McKinnon being uninjured and Thompson, out of his own mouth, said he wont be fully healthy until November. :shrug:

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Spoeank posted:

Alright man if you feel good about it then go for it but I wouldn't vociferously defend McKinnon being uninjured and Thompson, out of his own mouth, said he wont be fully healthy until November. :shrug:

Thompson won’t be great until later in the season for sure.

McKinnon had a minor calf strain and is working full speed on side field. Just being benched rest of preseason as a precaution. That doesn’t scare me.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I picked 10th in a 10 team serpentine in a Yahoo rando league that I signed up for on a spur. Bye weeks in brackets. Here's my team!

QB: Tom Brady (11), Deshaun Watson (10)
WR: Julio Jones (8), Brandin Cooks (12), Marquise Goodwin (11), Kenny Stills (11), Courtland Sutton (10)
RB: Jordan Howard (5), Adrian Peterson (4), Tevin Coleman (8), Dion Lewis (8)
TE: Jimmy Graham (7), Cam Brate (5)
K: Ryan Succop (8)
Defence: Baltimore (10)

Julio Jones was my first round pick.

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010
Hey Beer, how often are you running beersheets atm? is it still just every sunday?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

VietCampo posted:

Hey Beer, how often are you running beersheets atm? is it still just every sunday?

Every Tuesdays and Fridays, my work, family, and tabletop miniature wargaming obligations permitting.

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Every Tuesdays and Fridays, my work, family, and tabletop miniature wargaming obligations permitting.

Sweet thanks, that case i'll wait until Tuesdays.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

Second draft of the season. I had the 2nd pick. Yahoo, 10 teams, settings below the roster.

I really like this team.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

OxySnake posted:

I miss playing in leagues where people draft QBs in the 1st round and defenses in the 6th.

Family leagues, always and forever.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Thank you, Beersheets. In my ultra competitive 14 team 0.5 PPR league I drafted far and away the best team by ignoring my emotions and drafting the best player. Except Sammy Watkins, who is criminally low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

You can't draft both Le'Veon Bell and D-Hopkins in an ultra-competitive 14-team 0.5 PPR league. There's just no way Hop falls back to near the turn at rounds 2/3.

edit: unless you have some insane IDP scoring maybe, and those guys are going in rounds 1/2