Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

beep-beep car is go posted:

Don’t worry. In 20 years when most of the boomers are dead, the housing market will take a giant dump and the suburbs will clear out and we’ll be free to let airports and racetracks be themselves again.

This can’t happen quickly enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Ardeem posted:

There's an SR-71 anecdote that they'd announce flight paths a few days in advance, and then not fly them, just to watch the noise complaints and reimbersment demands for broken windows roll in.

There's 2 rules about supersonic airflight over the US that the government should have enforced decades ago.

1. The first time you complain about supersonic booms, you and your family are drug from your home in the dead of night, beaten in the street and left with a warning.

2. The second time you complain, you and your family are dissapeared. Permanently.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Suburbs are growing faster than cities so they're not clearing out.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Terrible Robot posted:

I had something similar happen except it was a three-ship of Chinooks. I happened to be outside at the time and you could feel that poo poo in the ground. It owned.

The University of Arizona in Tucson is under the landing path for the local Air Force base. About every ten minutes you'd get a four ship of A-10s or F-4s (I was there in the late 80s) coming back from bombing practice. You'd just pause the conversation you were having with the person standing next to you for a whole minute. Both of those birds are amazingly loud.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

MrYenko posted:

This, but with B-36s instead of B-52s Blackhawks.

I'd have a Hiller rotor-tip ramjet replica built. Go big or go home.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

mllaneza posted:

The University of Arizona in Tucson is under the landing path for the local Air Force base. About every ten minutes you'd get a four ship of A-10s or F-4s (I was there in the late 80s) coming back from bombing practice. You'd just pause the conversation you were having with the person standing next to you for a whole minute. Both of those birds are amazingly loud.

Same in Bossier City, LA. A BUFF screaming in/out every three minutes between 1500 and 1800 local time every other day.

A B-52 is like two OG 707s. Because it has eight of the engines the 707 had four of.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

I live three miles south of and directly under the flightpath for Love Field's Runway 31L. All day, every day, it's 737s, A320s, E175s, a wide selection of corporate aircraft, and the occasional military flight, usually a P-3 and an occasional C-17 when the president flies in.

My office is across the street to the west of Love. Veteran's Day 2017 was fun when a bunch of F-15s and F-16s ripped out for a flyover. We had to stop a meeting involving a bunch of regional execs to let the noise subside.

But the best is when the old 727 freighter occasionally flies out to the south. It takes a while to get altitude, and those old JT8Ds are loud as hell. When it flies over, it feels like a drat fracking quake.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

PhotoKirk posted:

I'd have a Hiller rotor-tip ramjet replica built. Go big or go home.

XF-84H then.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Cat Mattress posted:

XF-84H then.

I think if you brown-note your NIMBYs, they actually have a legitimate complaint for once.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Dr_Strangelove posted:

I live three miles south of and directly under the flightpath for Love Field's Runway 31L. All day, every day, it's 737s, A320s, E175s, a wide selection of corporate aircraft, and the occasional military flight, usually a P-3 and an occasional C-17 when the president flies in.

My office is across the street to the west of Love. Veteran's Day 2017 was fun when a bunch of F-15s and F-16s ripped out for a flyover. We had to stop a meeting involving a bunch of regional execs to let the noise subside.

But the best is when the old 727 freighter occasionally flies out to the south. It takes a while to get altitude, and those old JT8Ds are loud as hell. When it flies over, it feels like a drat fracking quake.

Yeah, a decade ago when I lived near TPA it was this kind of dichotomy. Passenger planes all day, audible but nothing like tri-jet freighters.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
The family farm is at the base of a mountain near FSM that the Arkansas ANG used to use as a waypoint when doing low level stuff. It was awesome in the 90s when they were flying F-16s, it was even more awesome when they transitioned to A-10s in the 00s and no longer awesome at all when they traded the A-10s in for frickin' drones.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
I actually saw an a10 perform at an airshow yesterday and wasn't all too impressed with the noise of its engines, but I'm used to pausing conversations while md80s are on takeoff roll

Another alternative for 'gently caress you money' buy up all the md80s and have them descend towards NIMBY houses then full power climb right above them in continual loops

EvenWorseOpinions fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Aug 27, 2018

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Aren’t the a10 engines glorified Learjet units? That’d explain it.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I saw an F-100 at an airshow recently and that was way louder than it had any right to be. It was flying around with an F-5 (possibly a T-38) and an F-86 and it was putting those two to shame (the poor F-86 was in an unfair battle since it doesn’t have an afterburner).

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

evil_bunnY posted:

Not-glorified-at-all CRJ engines.

In fact, newer versions on CRJs are much better engines. The Air Force declined to upengine the A-10 as part of the C program.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
The loudest thing at the airshow yesterday was probably the aeroshell team, which was an outstanding performance, but I think the loudest thing I've experienced in person was a mig17 burning for takeoff while I was just off the grass at midfield

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Afterburning B-1 about 50-100 feet AGL directly overhead is probably the loudest I’ve heard. Foam plugs plus hands firmly shoved against my head.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
I think the S-3 used the same engine as the A-10 so there are plenty of spares lying around.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Haven't heard an F-35 hover yet but Harriers be loud.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mortabis posted:

I think the S-3 used the same engine as the A-10 so there are plenty of spares lying around.

And if they run out of TF-34s theres a metric fuckton of CF-34s available.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I remember when national guard F-4's circled my house every day in the late 80s

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Man, I need to get around this country more. So many yards to stand in and watch planes while drinking beers. I can start to see the appeal of trainspo- oh no.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
High definition, including gopro, footage of Super Etendards and carrier landings. Pretty nifty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svORBbmnZMc

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

A hovering Harrier is probably the loudest plane I've heard at an air show.

InAndOutBrennan
Dec 11, 2008

Vahakyla posted:

High definition, including gopro, footage of Super Etendards and carrier landings. Pretty nifty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svORBbmnZMc

Hope that guy in the sailboat likes noise.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

InAndOutBrennan posted:

Hope that guy in the sailboat likes noise.

QUOI????

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Loudest plane for me was probably a C5 takeoff at the old Westover AFB airshow in the late 80s. Might be just that it was a super memorable noise (and thing to see for 9 year old me)

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

I live on the approach for Stratton where they have all the arctic C-130s and they practice 4 days a week. Every 5 minutes for about an hour we hear them land.

Edit: a video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVtAAJVw_Ko
I think I used to live in that neighborhood.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Watching an SR-71 take off at Farnborough in the late 1980s (1988?) remains the single loudest thing I've ever heard. Second was a full grid of 3.0L F1 cars at Monaco in 2001, third was the Space Shuttle taking off three miles away (as close as you're allowed to get unless you're an astronaut).

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

Keep your 'lectric eye on me, babe
It wasn't the loudest I have heard, but how the hell does a Saab Draken manage to sound so raw and brutal compared to other planes?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

drgitlin posted:

Watching an SR-71 take off at Farnborough in the late 1980s (1988?) remains the single loudest thing I've ever heard. Second was a full grid of 3.0L F1 cars at Monaco in 2001, third was the Space Shuttle taking off three miles away (as close as you're allowed to get unless you're an astronaut).

Mine is probably standing ten feet from the starting line at a top fuel drag race

If you open your mouth you can actually feel the air rushing in and out in time with the exhaust pulses

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
When i was younger and stupider i went to a spot where only a chain link fence separates you from F1 cars screaming down the straightaway.

Those fuckers are quite noisy!

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Sagebrush posted:

Mine is probably standing ten feet from the starting line at a top fuel drag race

If you open your mouth you can actually feel the air rushing in and out in time with the exhaust pulses

Yeah, I’ve been told by a lot of people that Top Fuel is on another level.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

mlmp08 posted:

When i was younger and stupider i went to a spot where only a chain link fence separates you from F1 cars screaming down the straightaway.

Those fuckers are quite noisy!

Oh, yeah, standing on the bridge over the track at Laguna Seca during a WSBK race when the entire field of bikes comes through at full throttle. That is also up there with the top fuel race.

The loudest sound that I personally have been responsible for was from machining a series of 18" long hollow aluminum extrusions that were supported on only one end and which acted like horrible hell trumpets. People in the building across the street came over to complain :allears:

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Aug 27, 2018

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Loudest plane for me was probably a C5 takeoff at the old Westover AFB airshow in the late 80s. Might be just that it was a super memorable noise (and thing to see for 9 year old me)

Similarly, for me, an F-14 doing a sneak pass at an airshow with a pilot absolutely riding the edge of 'minimum allowed altitude' and 'maximum allowed airspeed' was the loudest and also best part of that airshow

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Psion posted:

Similarly, for me, an F-14 doing a sneak pass at an airshow with a pilot absolutely riding the edge of 'minimum allowed altitude' and 'maximum allowed airspeed' was the loudest and also best part of that airshow

Ditto. The sound hit a second or so before the plane passed.

Standing close enough behind a Hornet that it felt like God's own hair dryer wasn't particularly loud, but quite fun. (An alum brought one to the local engineering school when I worked at the newspaper.)

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

evil_bunnY posted:

Other way around, by more than a decade.

mlmp08 posted:

Afterburning B-1 about 50-100 feet AGL directly overhead is probably the loudest I’ve heard. Foam plugs plus hands firmly shoved against my head.

Yeah, when they're in town here they take off on burner. I can't wait to see it at night...I've only seen it in person once and it was a highlight of my AF career.

It's also the only plane I can think of (that I've heard personally) that's louder than an F-35.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

drgitlin posted:

Yeah, I’ve been told by a lot of people that Top Fuel is on another level.

Even older fuel cars are a completely different animal compared to gas racing. Fuel engines are the pinnacle of piston engine noise. You have to go to turbines or rockets to get louder.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Speaking of Hornets, the Blue Angels were also at the airshow I went to... The most relevant trick was when the four plane group were making some super-low-speed coordinated maneuver so all eyes were on them, then the other two come screaming out of nowhere at full afterburner perpendicularly to the runway. Pure jackassery :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Are Super Hornets significantly louder than original models? If so, something to look forward to :v: