Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Hellblazer187 posted:

My boyfriend successfully arranged his life so that he can live it the way he wants and is living the loving dream holy poo poo, am I wrong for thinking he's less of an adult?
You see, he skateboards sometimes, which is Forbidden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Taima posted:

I don't want to be that dude but I am having a hard time believing that any of this poo poo is real.

1) The alien abduction movie story, come on son. That poo poo either never happened, or what actually went down is the boyfriend repeatedly trashed their favorite movie until they got mad and told him to gently caress off.

2) The gun story with the kid just seems way too loving convenient. So this unknown dude packs heat at their house, no one notices? The kid somehow grabs the gun off the dude without him even waking up???? Fires the loving gun at his sibling, almost killing her, leaving a bullet hole in their house, and the parents don't even call the cops..? The dude with the gun isn't even remorseful. Okkk

3) The story about the guy hanging out with his friends is written exactly like someone who hates women would write the story. The OP goes out of her way to mention how the boyfriend is loving RAD in every single way. So he has tons of free time and makes good money, word? So he goes over for beers, and is social a lot, and is otherwise amazing? Meanwhile the woman is fulfilling the dumbest MGTOW stereotype ever by insisting that the only way that anyone should have relationships is in a formal dinner environment? This is some MTGOW fan fiction poo poo.

For some reason today's stories are overloading my bullshit detectors, but maybe it's just me.

I think it's just you

1) I can assure you that crazy conspiracy people exist, whole families of them exist even, and the kind of people who like that movie are crazy conspiracy people

2) Statistically speaking, children get a hold of guns all the time in even seemingly implausible circumstances, even when the gun is properly holstered (which this one was not). And the dude being unremorseful is not surprising in the least.

3) This one might be bullshit in the way that you describe (even if the motivation you wrote makes no sense at all) but it sounds more like a classic story of one partner being ready to settle down and disappointed that the other isn't ready for that yet. It's totally normal and doesn't really paint either of them in a bad light, she just wants something different from life than he does right now and that's okay

Acres of Quakers
May 6, 2006

Haifisch posted:

You see, he skateboards sometimes, which is Forbidden.

Skateboarding is not a crime.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Anne Whateley posted:

Nah she's right about this part

I come from a small rural town, and by 27-29 everyone I knew in high school had like four kids and lives that revolved around their kids and their Walmart job and their church and MLM scams. Now I'm 31 in NYC and my friends here spend most of their time on relationships, serious jobs, art, hobbies, etc., and are barely even starting to think about kids. Like one couple I know has one kid, and the parents are in their late 30s. I'm 100000% on board with not having kids and focusing on my job, so I love it, but if she just dropped in from a rural area, it probably does seem really weird. She just has to be told it's a different timetable here.

ArbitraryC posted:

I dunno about this. We all had parents right? How often do you recall them just chilling with people 5 days a week? OP is from a less dense area where people settle down sooner to raise families so the idea that there's someone pushin 30 that has an excess of leisure time to smoke weed and skateboard in the park with their friends every other day prolly comes across to her as arrested development. She's notably asking if she's being weird about it, not like recanting stories of their fights or such it's just unusual to her and that's not really that surprising.

The problem with both of these characterizations is that she doesn't have kids, doesn't seem to want to have kids immediately, and none of her objections revolve around kids. The one time she describes what he should be doing instead is when she brought up professional dinners. I think she's just boring :shrug:

Personally I don't really just "hang out" with my friends anymore, but I kinda wish I did. I do just "hang out" with my wife, of course; that's called marriage.

e: Upon reread she does compare him to her friends back home who have kids, but she doesn't seem to view it as a negative that she herself does not. She's older than him, too.

Ligament
Jun 12, 2018
Biscuit Hider
some two year olds can't figure out "please don't eat dirt" lol

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

loquacius posted:

The problem with both of these characterizations is that she doesn't have kids, doesn't seem to want to have kids immediately, and none of her objections revolve around kids. The one time she describes what he should be doing instead is when she brought up professional dinners. I think she's just boring :shrug:

Personally I don't really just "hang out" with my friends anymore, but I kinda wish I did. I do just "hang out" with my wife, of course; that's called marriage.

e: Upon reread she does compare him to her friends back home who have kids, but she doesn't seem to view it as a negative that she herself does not. She's older than him, too.
The whole thing just feels like she's uncomfortable with the culture differences between NYC and suburban Michigan, and can't think of a better way to describe it than "boyfriend hangs out with friends a lot, sometimes drinks beer on their porch, also none of his friends has set up their own 1.5 kids/1 dog/picket fence fiefdom yet".

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Haifisch posted:

The whole thing just feels like she's uncomfortable with the culture differences between NYC and suburban Michigan, and can't think of a better way to describe it than "boyfriend hangs out with friends a lot, sometimes drinks beer on their porch, also none of his friends has set up their own 1.5 kids/1 dog/picket fence fiefdom yet".

I could parse it this way, sure. It's way easier to apply your mental biases to other people than yourself, too, in general.

man how much money would it take to actually legally erect an outdoor picket fence anywhere in Brooklyn

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
also, barudak:

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

loquacius posted:

I guess I just sorta characterize it on my own experience. When I hang out with friends I'm mostly just looking to chit chat and unwind, in 2018 this is often through games as some of my longest and best friends don't live near me anymore. This is regularly interpreted as manchild behavior on these very forums so I don't find it too surprising that she'd be iffy about him just getting stoned and chilling with his friends on the porch every other day.

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.
So that entire family's favorite movie was The Fourth Kind, but none of them were curious enough to research it for even a minute? The first page of Google results bring up all the lawsuits that were filed against Universal for them pretending that any of that poo poo was real.

I Googled it because I ain't never heard of it but boy it looks bad.

ETA: Not that I doubt the story, there's a helluva lot of incurious idiots out there.

Depressio111117 fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Aug 26, 2018

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

PetraCore posted:

Two year olds are basically less airborne parrots. Does a parrot have impulse control? No. I rest my case.

https://youtu.be/jN4aeH83RSA

Now imagine that parrot is holding a gun.

a very large fish
Oct 18, 2012

Ligament posted:

some two year olds can't figure out "please don't eat dirt" lol

All. All two year olds. poo poo most would probably dig their hand down for a second helping of dirt just to be sure they didn't like it. Whoever compared them to parrots was spot on except parrots probably have a more finely tuned survival instinct.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

I mean little Sally would probably try to listen real hard while mommy explains that guns are bad and never to touch them but that's not going to last.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Depressio111117 posted:

So that entire family's favorite movie was The Fourth Kind, but none of them were curious enough to research it for even a minute? The first page of Google results bring up all the lawsuits that were filed against Universal for them pretending that any of that poo poo was real.

I Googled it because I ain't never heard of it but boy it looks bad.

ETA: Not that I doubt the story, there's a helluva lot of incurious idiots out there.

Some people identify intensely with their favorite film. Insulting someone's favorite movie is a good way to provoke them into hating you.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Barudak posted:

For anyone saying they cant keep a good partner home depot has a sale going on right now on nylon rope

Nylon rope, or at least the cheap kind, does not make a good sex rope I just wanted to point this out. Stay safe and don't get hurt

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Nylon rope, or at least the cheap kind, does not make a good sex rope I just wanted to point this out. Stay safe and don't get hurt

True, if you make it at all tight it quickly cuts off circulation and is irritable. Use the softer ropes to kidnap people. Namaste.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

I knew a girl who believed wholeheartedly that The Fourth Kind was real until I sent her those articles about the lawsuit. She also fully believed that The Hills Have Eyes is true, and that nuclear mutants wander our deserts to this day. I was never able to talk her out of that one.

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

coronatae posted:

I knew a girl who believed wholeheartedly that The Fourth Kind was real until I sent her those articles about the lawsuit. She also fully believed that The Hills Have Eyes is true, and that nuclear mutants wander our deserts to this day. I was never able to talk her out of that one.

You can't convince me that Wrong Turn is fiction. It is an exact depiction of how I imagine the American south.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
I [26F] am getting fed up with my husband [29F] when it comes to meal planning

quote:

Hi, I will try to keep this as short as possible. So. I am responsible for 100% of the cooking in this relationship. When we started dating 6 years ago, the most challenging thing he could make was ramen noodles. He has no knack for cooking and that is a-okay with me. I do not mind at all that I cook all of the time. I enjoy cooking and feel good when others appreciate my food. I think I'm pretty good at it, too.

My problem is that I no longer feel that he appreciates my food. It's become a constant frustration. I will ask him what he wants to eat, he will either say, "I don't know, whatever", or "I like everything you make", OR and this one really chaps my rear end, "surprise me".

The thing is though, since he's of no help, I stick to his favorite recipes, the ones I've mastered, but he'll tell me, after I've already cooked, after I asked him that day and he gave me a non answer, that he wasn't in the mood for that, or we eat that too much lately.

It's extremely aggravating, especially since we have been going through a hard time financially. We qualify for food assistance, but my husband absolutely refuses. He was furious at me for even mentioning it. I never brought it up again. We don't have a big food budget, so I'm really limited at what I can make.

I pack him lunches to save money. I went to the store yesterday. My old car was repossessed, so I had to buy a questionable replacement off of Craigslist. It leaks fluids quite a bit. I was buying oil and antifreeze, altogether maybe $25 at the most. I tried to use our debit card, but it said insufficient funds. We should have had enough. I had no cash, no credit cards. I checked our balance on my phone and the transaction history. I saw that my husband has been going to various fastfood places every day, spending between $5 and $10 each time.

I really felt blue putting that stuff back on the shelf. He's spent around $200 this month on fast food... that's more than double our food budget. I went home and cried my eyes out until he came home. He asked me what was wrong and I knew I wasn't in the proper state of mind to have a discussion, so I told him we could discuss it later after I have had time to calm down. He got pissy about that and said it was hosed up that I would make him wait to talk about it because now he'll worry and freak out.

Okay, fine. So I confronted him about the fastfood and how there wasn't enough money in our account for me to put fluids in my car. He said he'd ask his mom for money and acted like that was it, and of discussion. Yeah, no.

I said I don't like borrowing money, not from his mom, not from anyone and that we would have had plenty of money if he hadn't been eating out every day. Then he got even pissier, asking me why I always want to fight when he gets home and that the issue, needing money for the fluids, was solved by him asking his mom and accused me of just wanting to fight, and then stormed off.

I don't get it. He has no problem taking handouts from his mommy, but God forbid we go on government assistance. How do I talk to him about this? We're both very stressed from all of this. It gets me blue, but he gets mad.

I want to work things out, but I don't feel like we're on the same page anymore. How do I make things work?

TLDR My husband of 3 years and I have been going through a rough time financially. Our food budget is small and he is no help when it comes to meal planning, then he'll say he doesn't like what I chose to make. I've been making him lunches to save money and I found out he has been eating out every day. We absolutely cannot afford that and I was unable to buy much needed fluids for my car.
:murder:

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

quote:

I really felt blue putting that stuff back on the shelf

Awww boo hoo I'm so blue I'm gonna have to go home and loving MURDER MY HUSBAND

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

If you show conspiracy fuckos some lawsuits about the veracity of a movie, they'll just take it as proof that the Illuminati/Jews/Trilateral Commission are trying to suppress the truth.

Clark Nova fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Aug 27, 2018

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

DeadMansSuspenders posted:

You can't convince me that Wrong Turn is fiction. It is an exact depiction of how I imagine the American south.

That one's apocryphal; broadly true but that sequence of events didn't literally happen.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
The more I read, the more :murder: this becomes.

quote:

[–]NekoNina [score hidden] 10 hours ago

Hold up.

This person does nothing to help with food selection or preparation, refuses to get on government assistance even though you two clearly need it, throws away food you lovingly make, sneaks around behind your back buying fast food to the tune of $200 a month, wastes money to the point of you two not having money for basic transportation needs, says he'll go to his mooooooommy for a handout when called out on his fuckery -- and he has the brass balls to lecture you about dignity for trying to save leftovers?!

OP, you deserve so, so much better than this.

[–]Trillbillie [S] [score hidden] 7 hours ago

Well, his truck didn't get repossessed because his mom paid it off for him. Only my car got repossessed.

quote:

[–]Trillbillie [S] 65 points 1 day ago

I cannot bear children due to physical issues, which is for the best, I suppose. He already has one son from another woman and he told me he doesn't want anymore.

[–]dinosaur_train 250 points 1 day ago

Well that just makes everything worse. He can't provide worth a God drat for his own child, he's letting you go without basic necessities, and he's treating himself. loving hell. I swear you're ignoring a lot of other problems. Things do not get better in life when you're shackled to someone who thinks and behaves this way.

[–]Trillbillie [S] 53 points 1 day ago

I am not ignoring them, I just feel so beaten down and exhausted to really do anything... I am very troubled about his relationship with his son and the boy's mother. He has told me it's not my place to comment about.

[–]dinosaur_train 407 points 1 day ago

Oh Jesus gently caress. I'm a mod of this sub. You can't imagine the gently caress poo poo I see here everyday and have done for years. Yet, I find this the most outraging and outrageous thing I've ever come across. And that's saying a lot.

He has told you in clear and certain terms that your value is less than his. In fact your value is so far below his you are not even allowed to have your own agency as a person. He has done everything to put you in a subservient place. But, know with all that you are, you don't have to stay there. I have never hoped someone has left their spouse more than I do now.

[–]Trillbillie [S] 65 points 1 day ago

Is it really that bad...? I guess I've just gotten used to it...
OP needs to run away and never look back. :smith:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

yeah uh wow I started that one out against OP and switched around to being against her husband the more I read because goddamn

she led with "I ask what he wants to eat and he doesn't seem to care which makes me mad" and we ended up with actual psychological abuse and neglect

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

loquacius posted:

yeah uh wow I started that one out against OP and switched around to being against her husband the more I read because goddamn

she led with "I ask what he wants to eat and he doesn't seem to care which makes me mad" and we ended up with actual psychological abuse and neglect

It's going in my buried lede hall of fame

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

Khazar-khum posted:

Some people identify intensely with their favorite film. Insulting someone's favorite movie is a good way to provoke them into hating you.

That's what I love about this forum, nobody ever insults Robot Jox. Keeps me from having to spread any hatred whatsoever.

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009
Yep another piece of poo poo man taking advantage of a woman. What a loving travesty it is that it's such a common tune. Like the sub-mod said it is infuriating and it's not terribly extreme yet somehow is tremendously awful.

Salty Josh
Jul 13, 2016

Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world, I feel like I can't take it, and my heart is just going to cave in.
Nap Ghost

Jim Barris posted:

Yep another piece of poo poo man taking advantage of a woman. What a loving travesty it is that it's such a common tune. Like the sub-mod said it is infuriating and it's not terribly extreme yet somehow is tremendously awful.

I mean... women take advantage of men too. They can also take half your stuff in divorce court.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Salty Josh posted:

I mean... women take advantage of men too. They can also take half your stuff in divorce court.

Can we skip 40 posts and just have you post your rant about how family court is KILLING FATHERS now?

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

loquacius posted:

That's honestly already murder territory if it's a regular thing. It's loving exhausting being the one to make all basic decisions in a relationship when the other person after providing no input goes "well I didn't really want that" on hindsight.

It's already incredibly annoying even if they're okay with what you decide but it goes well into infuriating when they're both indecisive and picky.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Jim Barris posted:

Like I always say, Kill All Men.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Can we skip 40 posts and just have you post your rant about how family court is KILLING FATHERS now?

from personal experience I would guess we don't see a solid 50/50 ratio of womanchilds and manchilds not because women are inherently better than men but because my male friends in toxic relationships think their total mooch of a gf is just sort of the expected gender dynamic.

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009

Salty Josh posted:

No poo poo, Salty Josh. Women take advantage too, I'm sure glad salty rear end Josh was here to make sure we didn't forget that.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

ArbitraryC posted:

from personal experience I would guess we don't see a solid 50/50 ratio of womanchilds and manchilds not because women are inherently better than men but because my male friends in toxic relationships think their total mooch of a gf is just sort of the expected gender dynamic.

*rubs chin* hmmm yes, but did you consider the reason we only seem to see this dynamic is because actually all women are alien ghosts who have "scarlet witch" style powers of manipulating statistics so it only SEEMS like--

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

I have no control, I just keep eating, and eating.

dudeness posted:

That's what I love about this forum, nobody ever insults Robot Jox. Keeps me from having to spread any hatred whatsoever.

Robot Jox is awful...ly fun.

I love movies, I love the background stuff that goes into movies, and when I meet someone who loves a movie that I think is terrible, I don't try to talk them out of liking it. Why the hell does it matter if a family has a favorite movie that you think is poo poo? How does that affect someone in any way? That guy is loving stupid.

Now if only someone could teach that to the Star Wars nerds.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Pick posted:

*rubs chin* hmmm yes, but did you consider the reason we only seem to see this dynamic is because actually all women are alien ghosts who have "scarlet witch" style powers of manipulating statistics so it only SEEMS like--

I don't wanna get into a huge derail but I just think this is a thing a lot of guys don't talk about because they're sorta socially raised with the idea that they're supposed to be the provider. I know I was in a relationship or two where I didn't think twice about being the "responsible" one because I was happy they were happy and we were happy together, it's only really on hindsight now that I'm in a LTR with someone who would do just fine without me that it's pretty clear how unequal some of my earlier relations were. I see that sorta dynamic in a lot of my male friends too. It's not something I was really socially ingrained to feel as a red flag.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

ArbitraryC posted:

I don't wanna get into a huge derail but I just think this is a thing a lot of guys don't talk about because they're sorta socially raised with the idea that they're supposed to be the provider. I know I was in a relationship or two where I didn't think twice about being the "responsible" one because I was happy they were happy and we were happy together, it's only really on hindsight now that I'm in a LTR with someone who would do just fine without me that it's pretty clear how unequal some of my earlier relations were. I see that sorta dynamic in a lot of my male friends too. It's not something I was really socially ingrained to feel as a red flag.
Yeah but at the same time a lot of guys think it's fine if they're JUST the provider and their partner is basically a domestic serf, not to mention the guys that get threatened because their partner makes more than them. The dynamic you're describing doesn't lead to 'mooches'.

EDIT: Usually. Some women might flip it that way.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

PetraCore posted:

Yeah but at the same time a lot of guys think it's fine if they're JUST the provider and their partner is basically a domestic serf, not to mention the guys that get threatened because their partner makes more than them. The dynamic you're describing doesn't lead to 'mooches'.
Yeah but in those relationships I also was the one to handle most of the chores, food, etc. It just felt normal really, "girlfriend is unemployed and doesn't do much other than keep me company" was an acceptable situation, whereas a dude would be a manchild if that described them. I feel like there's a lot of social expectations there and that there's a term for one but not the other is more a social thing than some sort of "men are worse than women" gender dynamic. The expectations are different.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Maybe it's the cost of living, but the idea that the man is the only breadwinner is basically extinct here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
what if the woman you've been married to for 20 years takes half of YOUR stuff

it's YOUR stuff! just like her, what's my stuff doing, filing for divorce?? what the gently caress?????