Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Len posted:

Also Exploding Kittens is a trash game for trash people. I thought it would be but finally played it and it's nice to know I'm right

Coup sucks balls too, love the art style and the mechanics but God I hate the social engineering of it.

Like I get the game, just I really don't like the social play of it. I struggle enough at the best of times to work out what is going on in a conversation, let me just make this social activity wholey dependant on not trusting each other and the social aspect now becomes stilted and frustrating. GG

Edit: I am an incredible autist and am aware of this fact

Jestery has a new favorite as of 01:57 on Aug 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Len posted:

Also Exploding Kittens is a trash game for trash people. I thought it would be but finally played it and it's nice to know I'm right

Exploding Kittens' incredible badness makes a lot more sense when you know it's by the guy who makes the Oatmeal.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I like exploding kittens okay as a super light quick cardgame. I think of it as "a game you can play with people who dont really play games". Like Fluxx (but Fluxx can be frustrating for some people because they dont like the constantly shifting rules or complete random factor which means the game can occasionally end on the first players turn). Its pretty much just cardgame russian roulette, but it kills 15 minutes. Fills a similar niche to something like Love Letter (which I admittedly like more).

If you want a trash game, look at Bears vs Babies, also by the oatmeal guy. Theres pretty much no game there. Once you have stroked the box (it comes in a novelty furry box for context) you've had literally all the enjoyment you're gonna get from it. Exploding Kittens was designed then the art was put onto it. Bears vs Babies was designed around the artwork.

I mean, if we're doing boardgames, I've probably got a couple of hundred words on how much I loving hate Munchkin. And Chez Geek. And Settlers of Catan. And Dominion. And Splendor. I get annoyed easily by board games is what I think I'm saying. And gently caress Monopoly especially.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

SiKboy posted:

I like exploding kittens okay as a super light quick cardgame.

It's basically Uno but worse and with fewer meaningful decisions. I guess it's worth playing if you're a big fan of The Oatmeal.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Early Game Spoiler Warning For MHW

I've been enjoying Monster Hunter World immensly, though I've been taking things very slowly. As proof of how slow I've been going - I only now did the first mission where you take on the Zorah Magdaros.

I knew from the start the mission won't be a success storywise. I mean we've only explored two areas, barely really did anything yet. But the mission in the end felt very disorienting, and not in a way that felt good to me personally.

To start with, the mission opened with me needing to help shoot at the incoming Zorah. To do that I needed to use ballistae and cannons, however I didn't get tutorials on how to use them. I suppose that might have been a bug? It's just really weird because pretty much everything else had a tutorial open up when a subject first cropped up. So I run to a ballista, man it, and see oh dang there's no ammo. So I search and find the ammo, go back and shoot a bit. Then I start looking for cannons since I saw cannon ammo, find one, load it, and shoot. Okay, nice enough. Eventually the Zorah gets close enough and goes to smash the cannon I'm manning, so I haul rear end to another one, which an NPC hunter was using. Shooting the pre-loaded cannon, I realize that you can actually load up to 5 cannonballs at a time before shooting.

Anyway, I keep shooting cannons and go back to ballistae once the cannons start tearing out some chunks of armor to reveal weakpoints, smack down wyverns harassing us, etc'.. Then I'm told to use binder ammo for a special ballista, which is actually easy to find, no problem there. Of course the Zorah doesn't stay bound for long and breaks through the barrier, which I figured would happen. At that point I'm told to get on a winddrake so I can follow the Zorah. I see a bunch of people getting on drakes and go there to join up, but can't find one for me. Then I see the log mention a winddrake post, at which point I notice the red marker on the map. Whoops! This one is half on me at least, but I think my mistake here was natural to make considering it would make sense to go to where all the other hunters are with the winddrakes (also again, didn't get a tutorial for the drake posts).

So I get on the drake, get dropped on Zorah. I'm told to smash its cores. I start with the middle one, then go down to smack the bottom one. Then the Zorah stands up, so I figure the last core must be at the top, so I scale all the way to the top, only to find myself stuck and having to jump off the Zorah so I get draked back in. Following the map I go back down to where I could swear was the 2nd core I destroyed, and in there I find the 3rd, which confused me entirely. Anyway, I smash it, then haul rear end for the final stretch to see how we fail miserably eventually.

I find myself being sent to fight a monster that showed up to make trouble, and it's the Nergigante. I know I'm gonna lose, but give it the ol' college try. It faints me, I think oh well, and wait for the cutscene to start... except instead I just get the 'you fainted, 2 faints left' message. So I'm like 'oh poo poo, I have to beat that thing??' I get another meal at the canteen, go back, smash the Nergigante once or twice in the leg... and a cutscene starts playing and the mission ends.

That final part just felt so bad. I can do with the rest of the mission but the whole 'okay, geared up, gotta fight this death machine, let's do thi- oh I didn't have to after all okay' thing just uuugh. I wish fainting to the Nergigante just ended the mission, and maybe surviving long enough to trigger the end without fainting would maybe give a bonus mat or something.

Up to this point I was having only fun with the game, through both success and failure, but I dunno, this mission felt very off to me. Oh well, I'll keep on hunting, at least I know how to use the weapons/post for next time they show up in a mission.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Kaincypher posted:

It seems like they took a huge leap backwards with companions in PoE2. Basically re-tread characters and more unlikeable allies. Pallegina was my road dog first time around, now because i don't kiss the Republic's rear end 24-7, she is constantly bitchy. Eder is cool and I will never not love him for his obsession to pet everything, and Xoti is my hillbilly waifu-cousin, but pretty much everyone else can get bent.

Tekehu is actually really cool if you stick with him, he has a genuine arc that's pretty good.

Rekke is a sidekick but he has unusual hidden depths should you tote him around for a while and if you have room for another melee frontliner in your party. Apparently this was the result of one of the writers going nuts overtime when they noticed they had the voice actor booked for four hours but the dialogue they had written would probably only take three or so hours to record so he got a whole bunch added that the other companions don't.
Though Ydwin gets more in Beast of Winter, and apparently Konstanten will get more in Seeker Slayer Survivor. Seems like Fassina will naturally get more in the last DLC since that's the one dealing with archmages, and she's otherwise the sidekick with the least to say at all.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Zorah Magdaros

It's easily the worst fight in the game, and the reason they don't tutorialize any of those mechanics is because they don't really matter. Pretty sure you can just sit there and watch and the whole fight will go the same way.

There's a variant of the fight coming up where you do actually have to do some damage to the thing, but it's so easy that you can sleep your way through it.

On the plus side, now that you've seen the game's worst fight, you know it will only get better from there!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Possibly unpopular opinion? It should be easier to marry people in Stardew Valley. To marry your chosen NPC, you have to give them a mermaid pendant that you can only get from the Old Mariner, who only appears on the beach in non-winter seasons on rainy days.

I waited patiently through the winter and finally made it to Spring 1....only to find that the Old Mariner was nowhere to be found. Now I have to wait for a rainy day for him to bother to appear. You should be able to just buy the pendant from Pierre.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The Zorah Magdaros missions are probably the weakest part of MHW (and I only say "probably" because I hear bad things about the actual Nergigante fight and haven't gotten there yet.) They're very heavily scripted in a game where a lot of the appeal is the free-form way missions are constructed.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

SiKboy posted:

I like exploding kittens okay as a super light quick cardgame. I think of it as "a game you can play with people who dont really play games". Like Fluxx (but Fluxx can be frustrating for some people because they dont like the constantly shifting rules or complete random factor which means the game can occasionally end on the first players turn). Its pretty much just cardgame russian roulette, but it kills 15 minutes. Fills a similar niche to something like Love Letter (which I admittedly like more).

If you want a trash game, look at Bears vs Babies, also by the oatmeal guy. Theres pretty much no game there. Once you have stroked the box (it comes in a novelty furry box for context) you've had literally all the enjoyment you're gonna get from it. Exploding Kittens was designed then the art was put onto it. Bears vs Babies was designed around the artwork.

I mean, if we're doing boardgames, I've probably got a couple of hundred words on how much I loving hate Munchkin. And Chez Geek. And Settlers of Catan. And Dominion. And Splendor. I get annoyed easily by board games is what I think I'm saying. And gently caress Monopoly especially.

If you make a thread about this I’d certainly read it. I’m tangential to all this at best but it’s always an interesting read.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Maxwell Lord posted:

The Zorah Magdaros missions are probably the weakest part of MHW (and I only say "probably" because I hear bad things about the actual Nergigante fight and haven't gotten there yet.) They're very heavily scripted in a game where a lot of the appeal is the free-form way missions are constructed.

I'm guessing you're referring to people saying that the final boss is bad, because it is pretty bad, but Nergigante isn't the final boss. Nerg is actually a pretty excellent fight.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Triarii posted:

I'm guessing you're referring to people saying that the final boss is bad, because it is pretty bad, but Nergigante isn't the final boss. Nerg is actually a pretty excellent fight.

Nah it's specifically Nerg I've heard less than good things about, but whatever I'll see for myself.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

SiKboy posted:

Splendor is the only one of those I'm curious about your hatred for. No dice, minimal ways to get hosed over, and generally should take ~45 minutes with reasonable adults.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Maxwell Lord posted:

Nah it's specifically Nerg I've heard less than good things about, but whatever I'll see for myself.

nerg is a great fight, just tricky at first when you don't know his tells

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Nerd Giganto's hitbox is really hosed up on his one aerial tackle that will probably take 90% of your health off too. I would stand behind him as he lunged forward towards someone else and die as he hit the ground in front of the other guy.

Nerg and Zorah are the worst in the game.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Relevant Tangent posted:

Splendor is the only one of those I'm curious about your hatred for. No dice, minimal ways to get hosed over, and generally should take ~45 minutes with reasonable adults.

It's dry, has a pasted on theme, and has minimal interesting player interaction. You could level the same criticisms at Dominion but that's got a lot more mechanical variety and depth.

I don't think Splendor is bad (it's great as a phone game) but I can see why someone might not like it.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Dry and minimal interaction can make for a great game (Agricola) but Dominion sucks.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

Nerd Giganto's hitbox is really hosed up on his one aerial tackle that will probably take 90% of your health off too. I would stand behind him as he lunged forward towards someone else and die as he hit the ground in front of the other guy.

Nerg and Zorah are the worst in the game.

Nah, that hitbox is working as intended, when he does the big spinny divebomb it breaks off all of his spikes like a big shrapnel bomb and that is what hits you, you just cant see it very well because its a bunch of very fast moving black spikes. The way to dodge it is to run away from nergigante and dodge a bit before he hits the ground to do a big dive with a lot of iframes, the problem is that the game never tells you this is a thing you can do and its pretty much needed for nergigante. Pretty much everything else about the fight is great, he's a frantic fun aggressive fight, but that one thing is the worst when uninformed.

As for zorah magdaros I feel like the whole point of that first quest is to let you learn how to do all the mechanics when the real deal happens later but he is just as bad on the second round. Its just a really boring fight overall and even the supposedly hardest version still has you spending a lot of time just sitting around waiting for stuff to happen or firing cannonballs at him.

My biggest gripe with monster hunter world is that there's no real complete movelist for any of the weapons ingame, the one you have in there gives you the bare bones but you wont have any idea about how to do stuff like the SnS helm breaker off of walls or the dual blades buzzsaw all along the monster attack unless you look up a guide or experiment extensively.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Zoig posted:

Nah, that hitbox is working as intended, when he does the big spinny divebomb it breaks off all of his spikes like a big shrapnel bomb and that is what hits you, you just cant see it very well because its a bunch of very fast moving black spikes.

What the gently caress I had no idea

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

FactsAreUseless posted:

Dry and minimal interaction can make for a great game (Agricola) but Dominion sucks.

Dominion to me is like, the ideal example of why I don’t like “good” board games and instead prefer dumb poo poo like Fluxx or Apples to Apples. The whole core of the game relies so much on you understanding how it works, so the play sessions where you’re learning it just completely suck as you get trounced by the guy who brought it with him.

Compare this with my favorite weird game to teach people, Cosmic Wimpout, where you can have zero idea of what’s going on, feel like the person teaching you is making it up as they go along, and still win sometimes.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Dewgy posted:

Dominion to me is like, the ideal example of why I don’t like “good” board games and instead prefer dumb poo poo like Fluxx or Apples to Apples. The whole core of the game relies so much on you understanding how it works, so the play sessions where you’re learning it just completely suck as you get trounced by the guy who brought it with him.

The real issue with Dominion is that (unless you have Attack cards or some other interesting cards in the mix) playing the game is basically multiplayer solitaire. You could practically have everyone take turns simultaneously and just call out when you buy a point card like Province or Duchy and the actual gameplay ends the same.

I have no idea why multiplayer-solitaire became popular because it seems to take one of the things people like about board games - playing them and socially interacting with other people - and remove the 'other people' part.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

bewilderment posted:

I have no idea why multiplayer-solitaire became popular because it seems to take one of the things people like about board games - playing them and socially interacting with other people - and remove the 'other people' part.

"Everyone make a farm and the best farm wins" means that even if you lose you still did something, and a low interaction game doesn't stop people from talking to each other.

Although I prefer my games to have decent amounts of interaction where both / all parties can benefit (eg I can kick you out of a spot but I have to pay you for it).

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
It's pretty, charming, and has this "I want to play more" vibe about it, but what's bumming me about Graveyard Keeper is that, especially early on, I don't feel like there's a lot of... well, gravekeepering. I estimate that about 80% of my game time so far is Basic Crafting Game, 20% dealing with corpses and illicitly harvesting stuff from the corpses.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
One of the tutorial popups in Mafia 3 shows Lincoln with a giant gunshot scar on the side of his head :frog: which isnt a big deal since the cause happens within an hour, but going into it totally blind sorta gave away how the robbery would go

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I really want to play agricola because it's about farming. The power network based board game was fun.

Cribbage is still the ultimate card/board game.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I know this is the 'I hate this in games' thread but I love that Borderlands 2 is this thread's Glass Joe.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Dominion was a fun deck builder until other deck building games happened that actually had player interaction and goals beyond playing solitaire

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Len posted:

Dominion was a fun deck builder until other deck building games happened that actually had player interaction and goals beyond playing solitaire

That said, I once played a 'DC Heroes Deckbuilding Game' (that's the actual title) and it played exactly like Dominions except shittier.

The reason being that in Dominions, the highest point cards (by default, provinces) literally don't do anything until the end of the game besides clog up your hand, so having a bunch of point cards slows you down and lets other players catch up.

In 'DC Heroes' the "villain cards", which you get the most points for, also have a powerful effect so whoever starts winning and getting a couple is just going to keep on winning.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

La Mulana 2 is great, I'm having fun playing it even though I've had to refer to wikis a few times to figure out what I missed because I seemed to have hit a dead end. But there is one thing that made me actively pissed at the game, and that's the hallway to reach the pedestal to get the flare gun.

You have to use an item, the Gale Fibula, to run really fast to avoid being crushed by the ceiling. Once you start running, you can't stop or change direction until you hit a wall, at which point you bounce back a fair ways. At this point, I've had to use it about 5-10 times. For this one specific hallway, if you hit the wall, you bounce back under the crushing ceiling and die. What you have to do, is jump before you hit the wall, so you stop moving long enough for the ceiling to drop, because you dont actually bounce backwards until you're on the ground. This has never come up before now and will probably never come up again. It's just infuriating because of how long I spent thinking it was having to stand in just the right spot before running, and the solution was something that... why do I not bounce back when I hit the wall in the air? Why do I suffer bounceback when I've dropped straight down along the wall?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I just quit The Long Dark after a couple of hours. First, it runs like poo poo despite looking like mid2000s game. Second, it is a survival game that just hates you. You have to take care of your Body Heat, Hunger, Thirst, and Sleep, yet anything significant you do will set you back. You dismantle a box or harvest a carcass, now you're thirsty and hungry. If you need to drink, you must melt snow and then boil water, which takes around half an hour in-game. If you want to eat, you must cook the meat, which takes around one hour and a half in-game. If you need fire, you gotta use something to light it, something to start the fire and fuel and there's a chance of it failing and you having to do it again. For some reason, this is also the one process you can't speed up, so you get to watch that meter filling up and pray that it doesn't fail again. And since all these processes take time, doing any of them will bring your stats down. While you wait for the meat to cook, you'll get thirsty, while you wait for the water to boil you'll get hungry. And of course, you have to go around the wilderness searching for supplies which will deplete all your stats, especially your Body Heat, very quickly. Not to mention taking care of wounds - bandages, disinfecting, painkillers -, inventory weight, the fact that every single one of your items have durability - the clothes, the tools -, that the food rots with time and if it is raw it'll attract predators, it is like every single mechanic is there just to make you suffer more.

RareAcumen posted:

I know this is the 'I hate this in games' thread but I love that Borderlands 2 is this thread's Glass Joe.

I have no idea what that means.

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts
Survival games really need to figure out a way to implement thirst and hunger other than "constantly ticking meter". It'd be interesting to see one use the Rule of Threes* in some way.

*Three minutes without air/in icy water, three hours without shelter, three days without water, three weeks without food.

PubicMice has a new favorite as of 14:38 on Aug 27, 2018

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Wurm Online/Unlimited has a pretty good hunger mechanic in that the higher it is, the faster your stamina bar fills back up. It also takes into account nutrition which makes your bar drop slower, and fats/carbs etc. which effect your skill gain and other stuff. So while you CAN live off raw pumpkins forever, busting out the tools and whipping up a big-rear end poutine gives you buffs and let's you go longer without thinking about food.

You also literally cant die from your hunger or thirst running out, and you can fast (raises the food bar but obliterates any nutrition you have) a long rear end time before you run out of fat reserves.

Wurm owns incredibly

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Samuringa posted:

I have no idea what that means.

Punching bag.

drat man, I know that Nintendo hasn't made any new Punch Out! games in years but for some reason I assumed most people knew a good deal of the characters.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Boxing requires competent but not world beating veterans to fight up and comers to make the up and comer look better and get better booking and pad out their wins. That is who Glass Joe represents in punchout.

Borderlands 2 is an older, successful game that everybody who wants to prove their hottake worth dunks on as its basically a free square for any sort of game design complaint you have. If you lose to Borderlands 2 your career is over.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Glass Joe, the journeyman we want, but do not deserve. Keep on trucking, 0-99.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I thought he had one joke-win against someone.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I thought he had one joke-win against someone.

He might well have done, it's been years since I've played any of the punchouts

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

FactsAreUseless posted:

The worst parts of Borderlands 2 were absolutely, without question, enemy and boss design decisions. Then followed by enemy placement, stat progression, move speed, the skill trees, the loot, the maps, the forced cutscenes, the lack of defensive options, and the loving terrible DLC, in that order. The memes are maybe somewhere around 20th.

hell yes on the lack of defensive options. i dont know how anyone played beyond the default difficulty. getting lit up by 20 bulletsponge enemies with aimbots the second you popped out from behind a box was lame as hell.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Glass Joe is canonically 1-99 all time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Glass Joe’s second appearance in Punch Out Wii is actually pretty tough, because he wears headgear.