Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

About ten years back my local Oldies station had some issues during a changeover getting fully staffed, so for late-night music they just did a shuffle play on their huge music library. It was great, all sorts of stuff that never saw regular airplay due to length (the full version of American Pie), shifting genres (the station that used to play a bunch of Motown and protest folk rock has shifted to late 70s and early REM) or due to someone else's cover being the one that became a hit (Hooked on a Feeling is my go-to example here because both BJ Thomas and Blue Suede's versions are well known, but there's a whole bunch of these ranging from "there was something there but another artist found the je ne sais quoi that really made it work" to "the original artists were too black"). I had depression-related insomnia at the time and it made for wonderful 2AM drives, I really wish I'd had the sense to write down the things I was introduced to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runaway Legs
Oct 11, 2012

Not a hat
Fun Shoe

GreenNight posted:

You’re not wrong. I have no idea how to find new music and I’m a fan of pop punk.

Bandcamp is your friend.
Just click the link and scroll down
https://bandcamp.com/?g=punk&s=top&p=0&gn=0&f=all&t=pop-punk

I can't vouch for the pop-punk on there since I'm not much of a fan. But there's new punk, crust and hardcore coming out all the time. Not everything is top notch, but I usually find a couple of gems whenever I'm in the mood to check out some new bands.

About tv shows: I'm a couple of episodes in to Castle Rock. I haven't seen enough to pass judgement yet but it's not pulling me in so far. Since I haven't read any King books ages, am I missing out on a bunch of subtext or secrets that the show assumes I'm familiar with? I know about Shawshank, of course. But the lawyer, his neighbor, the sheriff, the kid in the cage etc... Are they established characters with a history or new to the show?

Rhyno posted:

Nathanial Radcliffe and the Nightsweats are pretty much the best new music I've been exposed to since 2012.

I saw them live last year. Amazing show!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
for real though The Hold Steady are probably my favourite rock band of this century

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

GreenNight posted:

You’re not wrong. I have no idea how to find new music and I’m a fan of pop punk.

About every two weeks or so I take an evening and dedicate it to finding new music. I listen to a streaming station like one of the channels on soma.fm and make note of stuff I like. Then I hop on Spotify and listen to more stuff from the artists I noted, then use Spotify's related artists lists for each and just keep going down the rabbit hole that way connecting to as much new stuff as I can. When I feel like I'm done for the night I buy/download whatever I liked. Also not to get all :files: but Soulseek is still around and still awesome. I'm one of those people that still hoard mp3s on local drives.

Oh I finally started Justified after all these years. I'm a few episodes into S2.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

pahuyuth posted:

Oh I finally started Justified after all these years. I'm a few episodes into S2.

Season 2 of Justified is so, so good.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

howe_sam posted:

Season 2 of Justified is so, so good.

Yeah, it’s crazy that they had their best season so early. The rest of the show is still fantastic, but 2 was basically a perfect season of television.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Thanks for the ideas on finding new music. I can’t keep listening to Offspring, Bad Religion, and AFI forever.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I only listen to mid 2000s freak folk so this doesn't concern me

listens to The Milk Eyed Mender for the thousandth time

also props to Patriot for using an obscure as hell Vashti Bunyan song for its theme. When does the next season drop anyway?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

hope and vaseline posted:

I only listen to mid 2000s freak folk so this doesn't concern me

listens to The Milk Eyed Mender for the thousandth time

also props to Patriot for using an obscure as hell Vashti Bunyan song for its theme. When does the next season drop anyway?

Take it to NMD, Codgers.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Still no release date for Patriot s2 even though it was shot a while back :(

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

smh at people saying no good rock albums have been released when Metric releases one like every two to three years

Which reminds me I think they're playin here in September and I should book potentially both shows off

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Speaking of Rock, the new Clutch album is coming out in a couple weeks and it's probably my most anticipated meda anything this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZ9GSFZZY6c

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Mu Zeta posted:

Speaking of Rock, the new Clutch album is coming out in a couple weeks and it's probably my most anticipated meda anything this year.

Their crab cake recipe song has been stuck in my head in my head for a while.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Mu Zeta posted:

If you can hear their song Electric Worry and not start rocking out there may be something medically wrong with you.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
is that the bang bang bang bang one

s'pretty generic imo

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
The thing that's causing me to tune out on Innocents is her changing back so quickly. The concept of a shapeshifter that can't control it is kinda cool, but you're not doing anything fun with it if don't keep her trapped in different forms for longer periods.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Rhyno posted:

Nathanial Radcliffe and the Nightsweats are pretty much the best new music I've been exposed to since 2012.

:same:

"Sunovabitch, get me a drink!" feels more like a credo than a refrain's lyric.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Escobarbarian posted:

s'pretty generic imo

You need to vas out of this thread.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I really feel like Will Oldham should have some kind of TV show. Possibly a variety hour and the house band is Slint.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

less laughter posted:

All this has happened before, and will happen again

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1032701665403592704

Was it not already rebooted?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hS05j44UKUU

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Das boot reboot !

Cast pictures in here https://www.argunners.com/depth-look-das-boot-2018-many-new-images/

Well not a reboot, but a sequel TV miniseries set 9 months after the movie. Strong cast, releases later this year in Europe.

quote:

“Das Boot” is about to set sail after principal photography wrapped on the $32.8 million TV epic. Filming in Malta brought a 105-day shoot to an end, and the German, French, and English-language series bows on paycaster Sky in late-2018. Bavaria Fiction, Sky Deutschland, and Sonar Entertainment produced the eight-parter.

“Das Boot” is set in the fall of 1942, months after Wolfgang Petersen’s 1981 movie ended. The tide is turning against the German war effort after the Allies solve the Enigma code and opposition to the Nazis intensifies. It tells dual stories: there is the journey of the U-boat, and the story of the Resistance movement in La Rochelle. The multilingual series was filmed in German, French and English.

However, the biggest WTF is this:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Escobarbarian posted:

s'pretty generic imo

It’s generic in concept but it’s like Bosch- it’s a thing that’s been done a million times (hell, half of it is a cover of a song from the 1930’s), but the execution is perfect.

It’s not their best song but it’s their most accessible and it’s still really good.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

drunkill posted:

However, the biggest WTF is this:

Frasier was a nazi?!?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Wait, are the German characters going to be speaking English in a stupid German accent? Pass.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

quote:

The multilingual series was filmed in German, French and English.
So I assume mostly in German with subtitles.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Thanks to being really sick with no energy to do anything but lay in bed watching TV, I've made it through 3.5 seasons of Supernatural this week and am totally digging it. It's like a lower-brow comedic X-Files, and a fun watch. It's not breaking new ground and I can already see they are going to blow their load at the conclusion of season 5 and will have difficulty raising the stakes again after that, but I'd recommend it if you need something to binge. My one gripe is the problematic dialogue about gay people which pops up every now and then and seems super dated and lovely for a show that started in 2005.

Also Jared Padalecki gets fuckin jacked in season 4, goddamn. :kimchi:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I’m finally catching up with Venture Brothers after liking the first two seasons 10 years ago but never having Cartoon Network when it was on.

Good lord this is a fantastic show. I wish all shows took long hiatuses between seasons if it meant they could be this consistent.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I’m finally catching up with Venture Brothers after liking the first two seasons 10 years ago but never having Cartoon Network when it was on.

Good lord this is a fantastic show. I wish all shows took long hiatuses between seasons if it meant they could be this consistent.

I was getting so angry at the low video quality of the first season when I was rewatching and then I realized "Oh yeah, 1080p HD didn't really exist then"

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yesterday morning my wife and I attended the Strong Women in Pop Culture panel at Wizardworld Chicago. The guests were Charisma Carpenter and Holly Mari Combs. Much of the panel was laid back and just watching these two friends banter off each other, at one point a young girl asked "how do you deal with the naysayers in life?" and Charisma launched into an incredible and epic rant that amounted to "gently caress em if they don't like you." They were recording the panel so I can only hope that the video makes it up somewhere as it was extremely powerful words from a woman who herself said has been cast aside numerous times for absolute bullshit reasons.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Charisma Carpenter rules. That sounds like a great panel.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The last episode of Who Is America? is gonna have someone that... nobody saw coming, at least I didn't hear about it.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Aw yeah. Hype as hell to get home and watch that and Sharp Objects.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

esperterra posted:

Aw yeah. Hype as hell to get home and watch that and Sharp Objects.

apologies in advance for how much i'm gonna be blowing up your phone lmao

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

precision posted:

apologies in advance for how much i'm gonna be blowing up your phone lmao

lmao accepted. At least I'm already omw home and not a late shift tonight!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpUznQds8p4

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Reminds me of Low Winter Sun. So grim and dark. I never got the True Detective love.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Mu Zeta posted:

Reminds me of Low Winter Sun. So grim and dark. I never got the True Detective love.

You take that back and you take that back right now. No show deserves to be compared to Low Winter Sun. :colbert:

e: Mark Strong and Lennie James tried their best, okay?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

aw yisss

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

GreenNight posted:

Thanks for the ideas on finding new music. I can’t keep listening to Offspring, Bad Religion, and AFI forever.

Sounds like a good excuse to listen to Good Riddance and Propagandi to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

https://twitter.com/ThatKevinSmith/status/1033831426494365696