Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
You must be a lot of fun to hang out with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
When I’m not around lovely people maybe. :shrug:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

People are trying to convince you to not make a horrible decision. If nobody cared about you they would just be quiet.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Anita Dickinme posted:

I was going to enlist, I wasn’t going to not enlist because some dweebs on the internet said not to. I just wanted to know what it was like going in. I’m not upset I enlisted either because of the benefits it’ll have on my life. But this situation I was just asking if anyone had any experience with it or the Army. I’m not telling y’all I’m doing it I’m just asking about it but you guys want to act like good ol’ Navy leadership and jump down my throat and give me poo poo for asking a question. :bravo:

Thanks maffew and vulture for giving me some actual advice and talking about it instead of acting like the toxic leadership we speak about everyday here.

I appreciate being lumped in with the latter category, thanks.

Virginia Slams
Nov 17, 2012

M_Gargantua posted:

The solution to this and all similar problems is to just continue to escalate up the CoC on both sides.

This is what I assumed would be the correct response but my chief wants to handle it even though I've been told I'm not in a good position. I don't want to rock the boat and lose the support I have by "undermining" my chain even though it seems to be the only real option for success.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Anita Dickinme posted:

I was going to enlist, I wasn’t going to not enlist because some dweebs on the internet said not to. I just wanted to know what it was like going in. I’m not upset I enlisted either because of the benefits it’ll have on my life. But this situation I was just asking if anyone had any experience with it or the Army. I’m not telling y’all I’m doing it I’m just asking about it but you guys want to act like good ol’ Navy leadership and jump down my throat and give me poo poo for asking a question. :bravo:

Thanks maffew and vulture for giving me some actual advice and talking about it instead of acting like the toxic leadership we speak about everyday here.

You sound like a whiny bitch. Go join the Army, you'll love it.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Anita Dickinme posted:

When I’m not around lovely people maybe. :shrug:

:lol: If you think this is lovely...

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Seriously, just go to the Army thread and look up all of Mustang's posts. Watch as they take a bright individual who is going to do good things for the people under him, and then crush his soul out with Army Stupidity™ and then give him Stockholm syndrome, you can actually watch it play-by-play via his posts. Now he's giving handies behind the PX to get a better chance at promoting to the next rank.

Like, joining the navy is water under the bridge, that's whatever now, but if you think Navy Stupid is anything next to Army Stupid™

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKfupO4ZzPs

orange juche fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Aug 24, 2018

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

orange juche posted:

Seriously, just go to the Army thread and look up all of Mustang's posts. Watch as they take a bright individual who is going to do good things for the people under him, and then crush his soul out with Army Stupidity™ and then give him Stockholm syndrome. Now he's giving handies behind the PX to get a better chance at promoting to the next rank.

Like, joining the navy is water under the bridge, that's whatever now, but if you think Navy Stupid is anything next to Army Stupid™

poo poo! And I'm out of town!

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Anita Dickinme posted:

Oh my god, shut the gently caress up.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

PneumonicBook posted:

Oh my god, shut the gently caress up.

:agreed:

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

orange juche posted:

Seriously, just go to the Army thread and look up all of Mustang's posts. Watch as they take a bright individual who is going to do good things for the people under him, and then crush his soul out with Army Stupidity™ and then give him Stockholm syndrome, you can actually watch it play-by-play via his posts. Now he's giving handies behind the PX to get a better chance at promoting to the next rank.

Glanced over his posts real quick and holy poo poo that’s rough.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

If you really want to go through with going Navy to Army, please just think on this

What would you like your life to look like in three years?

Say you join the Army, what's the worse thing that can happen? What's the best?

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Cool, dude.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Virginia Slams posted:

This is what I assumed would be the correct response but my chief wants to handle it even though I've been told I'm not in a good position. I don't want to rock the boat and lose the support I have by "undermining" my chain even though it seems to be the only real option for success.

We had sailors stashed all over Oahu and inter barracks transfers happened often enough. See if they can just move you to the Navy barracks (even if only on paper). Could be a possible work around if your CoC keeps being dumb.

Also the idiot that is signing your BAH chit can't see beyond E4 being on the paper and no amount of explaining from your level will get that to happen. He isn't in a position to make decisions contrary to his COs standing guidance as he interprets it.

Your Chief was wrong for throwing it back on you because he should know this. Your department head would probably be able to get someone to see clearly. It should go up.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

If everybody around you is lovely but you...you're the lovely person.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

EBB posted:

If everybody around you is lovely but you...you're the lovely person.

If you run into an rear end in a top hat in the morning, you ran into a rear end in a top hat. If you run into assholes all day, you’re the rear end in a top hat.

Laranzu posted:

Your Chief was wrong for throwing it back on you because he should know this. Your department head would probably be able to get someone to see clearly. It should go up.

Yeah f’real the Marines aren’t gonna budge unless you come in with some heavy weight. They have absolutely no incentive to give you or anyone BAH. Barracks transfer to Navy barracks might be the technicality you need

You could just solve all your issues and find someone to marry.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

It's the same way when Marines live in Navy housing. USMC regs give a married E-6 a 3 bedroom house on base. Navy regs on Sasebo say an E-6 rates 2 bedrooms unless they have more than one kid. Same thing for a CWO2. Marines would give him 3 bedrooms but on Sasebo my old CCO had to prove he was Gunny before he got his commission in order to get the better housing.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Is this the part where goons start peeing in the well?

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Godholio posted:

Is this the part where goons start peeing in the well?

Join the merchant Marine kid see the world

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
The moral of the story here is if you're going to do some poo poo like enlist with a degree and/or try and go blue to green, just do that poo poo and don't ask for opinions. This goes for everything in life actually

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Anita Dickinme posted:

Glanced over his posts real quick and holy poo poo that’s rough.

Btw dude, I spent the first year+ of my enlistment as a SN, and then a PO3 in the yards at Norfolk during the overhaul of the Enterprise, and then I spent a further 6 months in the yards before transferring off that joint tearing it down after two extended deployments that were separated by about 6 months.

Yard time sucks, I get it, I've been there, don't loving join the Army over it.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Aug 24, 2018

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Anita Dickinme posted:

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://www.wavy.com/news/military/navy/navy-reactivating-second-fleet-during-ceremony-in-norfolk-friday/1392643345

2nd Fleets is back

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Yeah dudes, check out the suck sick new crest *SCREEEEEE*

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Doesn’t this just make another fleet smaller?

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

Doesn’t this just make another fleet smaller?

No, C2F was disestablished and US Fleet Forces Commands took over the operational in addition to MT&E requirement. This just moved it to how it was a few years ago.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

But leaves FFC intact, I assume. Congrats, Navy, on adding another major command without giving one up in return.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Godholio posted:

But leaves FFC intact, I assume. Congrats, Navy, on adding another major command without giving one up in return.

It is returning things to how they should be. C2F goes back to being the operational command and USFFC goes back to not having an operating role and just a admin role for all of the Navy.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Nick Soapdish posted:

It is returning things to how they should be. C2F goes back to being the operational command and USFFC goes back to not having an operating role and just a admin role for all of the Navy.

The way things should be is fewer overpaid flag officers running around.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Those things are both true.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
gently caress the Navy gently caress the army and gently caress you if you're still in.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
...tracks

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Anita Dickinme

Grow a mustache and a mullet and get a job at Chik Fil A

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

DownByTheWooter posted:

Anita Dickinme

Join a band too

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

DownByTheWooter posted:

Anita Dickinme

He's just gonna nuke a slice of grandma's apple pie instead.

Fred Dawes
May 10, 2009

Greetings from sunny Great Lakes!

I will graduate ET A School next month, and I'd like some guidance on purchasing boots that don't destroy my feet and much as the boot camp boots. I know authorized boots vary by command, so maybe I should wait until I get orders?

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Fred Dawes posted:

Greetings from sunny Great Lakes!

I will graduate ET A School next month, and I'd like some guidance on purchasing boots that don't destroy my feet and much as the boot camp boots. I know authorized boots vary by command, so maybe I should wait until I get orders?

Yeah wait until you see where you are going.

All the official authorized shipboard boots are steel toe and therefore heavy.

All the authorized boots are differing degrees of awful really.

On that note I liked the Belleville Sabre 533 coyote brown the most. Non steel toe because I'm a dirty shore sailor.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

Laranzu posted:

Yeah wait until you see where you are going.

All the official authorized shipboard boots are steel toe and therefore heavy.

All the authorized boots are differing degrees of awful really.

On that note I liked the Belleville Sabre 533 coyote brown the most. Non steel toe because I'm a dirty shore sailor.

Adding to this, Rocky makes some great boots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Thronde posted:

Adding to this, Rocky makes some great boots

The Rocky S2v are the other authorized type 3 boots. I didn't like their toe box but lots of people love them