Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Blind Rasputin posted:

If you run EP from 1-7 every time you get a boost to the shotgun drop chance. So I ran it 1-7 three times a day with random EP LFG groups always touting that the 1-7 means is best and they were all head over heels to do it. The chance boost builds up all week on a specific character. The strategy is to run 1-7 about six or more times (over one to two days or so whatevs) and then once you’ve accrued that level of boost then start doing the wave 6-7 repeat gimmick, so you’re taking advantage of the boost over and over in quick succession. You’ll get the shotgun.

The shotgun is really good. It feels like an exotic. Any orange or yellow bar shielded enemy you punch and hold the trigger for half a second to delete them. You have trouble stopping the gun firing before the guy dies.

Then explain why come I spent 5 hours doing running this poo poo, and got nothing but shaders(not even those sometimes)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Blind Rasputin posted:

If you run EP from 1-7 every time you get a boost to the shotgun drop chance. So I ran it 1-7 three times a day with random EP LFG groups always touting that the 1-7 means is best and they were all head over heels to do it. The chance boost builds up all week on a specific character. The strategy is to run 1-7 about six or more times (over one to two days or so whatevs) and then once you’ve accrued that level of boost then start doing the wave 6-7 repeat gimmick, so you’re taking advantage of the boost over and over in quick succession. You’ll get the shotgun.

The shotgun is really good. It feels like an exotic. Any orange or yellow bar shielded enemy you punch and hold the trigger for half a second to delete them. You have trouble stopping the gun firing before the guy dies.

I didn't know the chance boost up was on a per week basis. Ugh.

E: I can't find any mention of that elsewhere

Rubellavator fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Aug 27, 2018

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I swear I read it in some breakdown of them discussing it on twitch. It’s a low chance to begin with, with a 1-5% boost per full run. The 6-7 repeat boss kill does not trigger the boost. It builds up all week on that character. It’s still rng bullshit and way too low of a drop chance this late in the game. I mean, everyone has done this activity like a hundred times now and it’s asking a whole lot to do it a hundred times more just for a drop.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

At least the shotty still shreds without boop support.

gently caress I just raw dog with it after a punch no matter what because it's awesome

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

At least EP is fun, now bring back goddamn archon forge and court of Oryx you cowards

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

At least I'm loving stupid and might still pre-purchase foreskin

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Have they said how the old raid content will work in Forsaken? I still have this Acrius taking up space in my inventory because I haven't had time to raid.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

The saltiest day in D2 I ever had was a clan guy joining late to an EP, going AFK and getting the shotgun to drop.

CheeseFactory
May 12, 2009

MAYBE A DINGO ATE YOUR K/D

PathAsc posted:

At least EP is fun, now bring back goddamn archon forge and court of Oryx you cowards

Oww i miss court that was some good memories

CheeseFactory
May 12, 2009

Mill Village posted:

Have they said how the old raid content will work in Forsaken? I still have this Acrius taking up space in my inventory because I haven't had time to raid.

Not yet.

If the old raids drop powerful gear it will be retarded though. 3x raids on 3x characters is like... 36 powerful drops of something crazy.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

CheeseFactory posted:

Not yet.

If the old raids drop powerful gear it will be retarded though. 3x raids on 3x characters is like... 36 powerful drops of something crazy.

Sounds good, why make progression a goddamn chore like it was this past time? Powerful rewards for end game activities is cool and good

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

This week an LFG group I was in was trying to fill the lobby for EP and a level 350 guy who said he was still “completing the campaign” asked if he could join. He was carried by us over 8, his first time ever doing EP, and got the shotgun. Suffice it to say everyone was pretty loving ripped out on that one.

CheeseFactory
May 12, 2009

PathAsc posted:

Sounds good, why make progression a goddamn chore like it was this past time? Powerful rewards for end game activities is cool and good

Because reaching max power on day 1 is lame

CheeseFactory
May 12, 2009

Blind Rasputin posted:

This week an LFG group I was in was trying to fill the lobby for EP and a level 350 guy who said he was still “completing the campaign” asked if he could join. He was carried by us over 8, his first time ever doing EP, and got the shotgun. Suffice it to say everyone was pretty loving ripped out on that one.

Just like seeing a dude you just tore apart in rumble going 1-16 get a ballerhorn in D1.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's the upside of rng, that one lucky sob that gets what everyone else wants and dominates the world with it (until it gets nerfed or everyone else gets one too).

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

PathAsc posted:

Its going to be a longer grind. Its why they extended the raid opening to 10 days instead of 3. Though I guess that could be to help push more people into the race for world first.

Infusion is getting more expensive and no more plus 5 power mods. The trade off is more ways to acquire powerful gear and the 4 day rather than 7 day cycle.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Mill Village posted:

I’m looking forward to 420 and 666.

Reminder I beat all of Destiny years ago lol

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
333 is half of 666

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

BlindSite posted:

Its going to be a longer grind. Its why they extended the raid opening to 10 days instead of 3. Though I guess that could be to help push more people into the race for world first.

Infusion is getting more expensive and no more plus 5 power mods. The trade off is more ways to acquire powerful gear and the 4 day rather than 7 day cycle.

A long stick with many carrots along the shaft with a cheesecake on the end is better than what we had is what I was getting at.

I don't mind a long grind, so long as there's a chance at progression, unlike the fetal alcohol syndrome system we have had.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Mill Village posted:

I’m looking forward to 420 and 666.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

The other day I discovered that I had 6969 kills as a voidwalker and now I can never play that subclass again.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Reminder I beat all of Destiny years ago lol

I never got that far I guess but what is all that stuff? Raid armor or something? Why is d1 armor still so badass. Wearing vex stuff or bones or loving machine parts. The black and blood red or black and neon super red shaders are still better than everything in d2.

God damnit I miss it sometimes. I miss us all absolutely wrecking King’s Fall by the skin of our teeth and having the time of our lives.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

PathAsc posted:

A long stick with many carrots along the shaft with a cheesecake on the end is better than what we had is what I was getting at.

I don't mind a long grind, so long as there's a chance at progression, unlike the fetal alcohol syndrome system we have had.

I agree wiv ya. It annoyed the poo poo out of me getting gear checked because you've done your chores for the week.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Blind Rasputin posted:

I never got that far I guess but what is all that stuff? Raid armor or something? Why is d1 armor still so badass. Wearing vex stuff or bones or loving machine parts. The black and blood red or black and neon super red shaders are still better than everything in d2.

God damnit I miss it sometimes. I miss us all absolutely wrecking King’s Fall by the skin of our teeth and having the time of our lives.

Uh that's just the 2014 Super Bowl Champion Crucible Gear (NOT the 2015 NFC Champion Gear)

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

BlindSite posted:

I agree wiv ya. It annoyed the poo poo out of me getting gear checked because you've done your chores for the week.

what would you want it to be? like what era of D1 or D2 is most best in your opinion? I'm not arguing or being insulting, I genuinely want to know

I guess... I think RoI era was the only one where you could just loving go for it, right? Like faction packages I don't think had a soft cap and if Iron Banner was up you could grind out drops. But every other time period had some sort of eventual lockout. You'd reach a softcap and then be dependant on end-game activities to come around. Everyone remembers perma-29 in vanilla, in Taken King I remember people complaining about not getting 320 ghosts except from the raid and generally needing to raid/trials for 320 infusion fuel.

I... I dunno, maybe I'm not remembering everything right, but in general Destiny's progression has generally been tied to doing certain events and once you're done with them, that's it. Like you could still chase random rolls or whatever but yeah. I'm pretty sure RoI was the only time that there wasn't a soft-cap or lockout iirc and people complained about that being too easy.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Mazerunner posted:

what would you want it to be? like what era of D1 or D2 is most best in your opinion? I'm not arguing or being insulting, I genuinely want to know

I guess... I think RoI era was the only one where you could just loving go for it, right? Like faction packages I don't think had a soft cap and if Iron Banner was up you could grind out drops. But every other time period had some sort of eventual lockout. You'd reach a softcap and then be dependant on end-game activities to come around. Everyone remembers perma-29 in vanilla, in Taken King I remember people complaining about not getting 320 ghosts except from the raid and generally needing to raid/trials for 320 infusion fuel.

I... I dunno, maybe I'm not remembering everything right, but in general Destiny's progression has generally been tied to doing certain events and once you're done with them, that's it. Like you could still chase random rolls or whatever but yeah. I'm pretty sure RoI was the only time that there wasn't a soft-cap or lockout iirc and people complained about that being too easy.

I want to say the combination of a softcap, weekly lockout, and rng gear slot bullshit are what most are pissed about. Then add to that the part where exotic drops have been useless, powerful rewards were broken, and activities were bugged.

I don't know what era I'd call the best, but if what they're telling us is coming is actually true and not bugged all to hell then it seems pretty good.

I didn't game the system in roi, but it felt pretty ok to me. gently caress if I can remember anything about D2 progression other than what we have currently and that's loving sad and hilarious.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Shooting my whisper at the fallen walker like

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bmi8P9HnZJG/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=utjuw5prc2ms

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

This guy on Reddit got a bit dick slam
https://youtu.be/C_2IDgFmfKU

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

PathAsc posted:

I want to say the combination of a softcap, weekly lockout, and rng gear slot bullshit are what most are pissed about. Then add to that the part where exotic drops have been useless, powerful rewards were broken, and activities were bugged.

I don't know what era I'd call the best, but if what they're telling us is coming is actually true and not bugged all to hell then it seems pretty good.

I didn't game the system in roi, but it felt pretty ok to me. gently caress if I can remember anything about D2 progression other than what we have currently and that's loving sad and hilarious.

ok yeah I found the old infographic for RoI:

there's some weird stuff like faction packages awarding higher light than the normal raid, but there's a clear progression from blues -> purples -> "light" endgame activities -> hardcore endgame, but with some stuff that was farmable vs. on a lock-out.

I dunno. Vanilla D2 was like, you hit the soft cap, then had to do milestones OR you could farm for exotic engrams. Honestly this was better vanilla D1 where you hit the cap on blues, then you either had to farm for purple engrams or farm up for vendor stuff- but those had both a weekly rep and weekly mark cap. Then you'd transition to the Raid to reach max and that was it. Eventually they added max level gear to IB, but that was just one or two pieces every time it came up. But D2 was like, do literally anything until the soft cap and then its milestones or farm for exotics.

But thing is people complained about exotic engrams giving a power boost in D2, they were upset that farming public events was the best way to level. I mean they were idiots, but still, and that's what Bungie was reacting to when they changed that for Warmind. But uh, can't wait for people to hit max light within a week off of farming public events for exotic engrams once Forsaken hits and then get mad at Bungie that they did that.

So yeah, yeah. If they can get more of a tiered system going, with more repeatable stuff- like vendor engrams should give light increases up to a certain point, but not beyond the normal raid's drops, or whatever, it'll be good, I think?

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Aug 27, 2018

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Mazerunner posted:

I think that RoI got a lot right. A lot more than d2 did up til this point.

There should be many avenues for small gains and endgame should give larger gains.

The thing about RoI was the sheer amount of stuff you could do in a week to gain gear was impressive. There was also the ability to push gear so infuse drops from 1 char into char 2 and infuse their drops into char 3 and shift their drops to 1 for a better overall gain. I also get why they stopped this in d2.

The problem with RoI was you hit the cap fairly quickly but the good was the gear was all cool and flashy and fun to go chase. While d2 may have had a similar gear chase for power levels once that was done there wasnt any gear left to chase once you'd got one of everything.

A big part of it is random rolls. For instance when they brought in the weapon bounties you could do a hand cannon bounty, get a shaxx package :) and play crucible for a chance at a god roll eyasluna. I wanted that unicorn roll. So even if I had done a raid and a nightfall and trials there was motivation to play a few games.

Similarly it took my some time to get a set of armor I wanted in a tier 12 build with increased melee speed, HC reload gauntlets along with the helmet with orbs grant health regen and sniper ammo boots with increased movement speed on respawn or revive.

Then i had to find the chest piece to make my PvE build how I wanted.

Im lucky that I've got an active clan of good players so theres not really any activity thats off limits if I'm keen to play it and hanging out in party and ganking in pvp is motivation enough to jump on but I can see why some people figure "why bother?" When they've done their mile stones and have every weapon they want already.

Thats what hurt their d2 build in terms of replayability and drive to do certain things.

They kind of tangled themselves in that web of trying to please everyone and pleased no one. There was a lot of talk at the end of d1 about competitive play being difficult in an RNG loot game. At the same time they didnt go with dedicated servers and reduced the skill gap in terms of movement and everything else. So all the loot became vanilla as did the variation in play styles. In doing so they kind of lost that secret sauce of what made it interesting both to play and watch- seeing what people could use to build a play style round or what they sought to fit their play style.

By the same token they wanted to clarify the gear grind and path you could take to gain power but wanted to reduce the likelihood of people being "community locked" whereby people wouldnt be able to find pick up games because they didnt have a piece of "must have" gear. They also brought in the tokens and welfare clan engrams to give free gear. Both nice ideas in theory but kind of failures in practice.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

These loving EP drop rates :mad:

(mostly want them cuz I love warmind themed poo poo :v:)

Has anyone seen anything about year 2 armor as far as intrinsic perks? Basically wondering if I can roleplay a warsat or Vex in Y2 or if I need to use Y2 armor because it'll be inherently better.

Or they could add cosmetic slots but lol that's never happening.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

BlindSite posted:

By the same token they wanted to clarify the gear grind and path you could take to gain power but wanted to reduce the likelihood of people being "community locked" whereby people wouldnt be able to find pick up games because they didnt have a piece of "must have" gear. They also brought in the tokens and welfare clan engrams to give free gear. Both nice ideas in theory but kind of failures in practice.

Yeah I can agree with all that. Like I personally don't care at all for random rolls, I mean like 95% of my weapon use in D1 was fixed rolls- raid, exotics, trials, etc. or "might as well be a fixed roll" like the vendor stuff (like the Hung Jury that was on sale for a whole year), but if other people want that chase that's ok with me. Just give me good fixed alternatives or frequently rotating vendor rolls so I'm not completely dependent on double rng.

That said tokens are fine. They're just a consolidated version of planetary mats/motes/shards/whatever the gently caress that you'd turn in to the vendors for packages. Same deal. Like in D1 you'd do a patrol mission, get some rep. D2 you do a patrol mission, get a token that you exchange for rep. I like the D2 system better, it's simpler and you can more easily transfer poo poo across characters. Some people really don't like that they're called tokens, so at least the planetary stuff is getting changed to the material. Also it'd be nice if you could turn in enough tokens for an entire level at once instead of having to do multiple clicks.

Bungie's kind of in a bind with clans, overall. They want to make them worthwhile and attractive to be in, but not so useful that it feels punishing to be without so we end up with worthless garbage perks for being in them, and apparently players are actually "gently caress you got mine" republicans who really object to people getting welfare loot that they didn't "earn" so I dunno. We'll have to see how those new clan bounties Hawthorne will have work out.

That said... I don't like bounties coming back. Or I mean, challenges were very flawed and needed to be fixed overall, but I don't like the whole "gotta go back to the tower to pick them up" bull. It's real annoying to me that I gotta do some crap because some nerd liked the roleplay of picking up the bounties. I hope they make it so you can pick them up using the API, so like in DIM or the app or whatever. The people who want to do it manually can do that, the people who just want to play can add them into inventory while loading into a strike or whatever. Same with buying vendor items, even. That'd be nice, imo.

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Aug 27, 2018

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

victrix posted:

Has anyone seen anything about year 2 armor as far as intrinsic perks? Basically wondering if I can roleplay a warsat or Vex in Y2 or if I need to use Y2 armor because it'll be inherently better.

year 2 stuff will have like 1-2 perks over year 1 stuff, although year 1 armour (not weapons) will be able to use year 2 mods.

I think the perks so far are pretty similar to the D1 perks. Like "throw grenades further" and ammo perks like "more hand cannon ammo".

I know they've said that stacking grenade recharge stuff will actually get you even faster charge times than max discipline did in D1, if you use all 5 pieces to do so, but I can't remember if that was a perk or mods.

Also the masterwork system is changing, with 10 levels. Like if you get a +Range masterwork, each level adds 1 range unit. Year 1 stuff caps out at +5, so that's a slight weakness. I also forget what level the orbs of light on double kills/damage reduction when in super kicks in, that might be beyond level 5.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I haven't gotten past wave 4 in EP but I also haven't tried very hard or with a dedicated group.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
When they raise the level to 70 and we get a ton of people who complain about being ~~Forever 69~~, then this thread has my permission to die

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Wow this slide on design philosophy from the Bungie panel at gamescom explains a lot

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
FYBO

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

victrix posted:

it took me 21 final boss clears to drop my first weapon. i am still convinced that its better to do the boss glitch that restarts you at wave 6. its way too time consuming to run it from the start every single time

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
i did two EP’s this week both with completely random pubbies and got the shotgun on the first one :devil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I haven't played this game in three weeks. :devil:

Please be good, expansion.