Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

catlord posted:

And when Raven did get to make a new game, it was Modern Warfare Remastered. Which from what it sounds like was a decent remake but crippled by microtransactions and initially being only part of a bundle with Infinite Warfare?
They also do CoD Online for the Chinese market, which is a weird F2P mashup of stuff from throughout the series, along with a simplified version of Nazi Zombies with cyborgs instead and a payload cart in some maps. Pretty odd, but I guess it keeps their eye in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

The Kins posted:

GZDoom 3.5.1 re-implements a resolution selector, and adds better support for higher-BPC displays like HDR-capable monitors alongside the usual minor bugfixes.
Raven did a very good job of tanking Singularity themselves without needing a publisher to do it for them.

quote:

This wasn't development, it was triage. We had the save who we could and bayonet the dying, and we had no time left to do either with any subtlety.

Did you think the abilities of the TMD were poorly explored? Did you get tired of using a device that could change the passage of time to merely renew a crushed box to non-crushed status? Yeah, so did we. But we did not have the time to properly create fun gameplay with the weapon and build well-paced levels around it.

This explains an awful lot. One of my main complaints about Singularity was that the TMD was badly underused, with most TMD-related gameplay being reskinned "use key to unlock door"; this looks especially bad when you compare it to Timeshift's time control powers (which had interesting puzzles built around the time powers that were also consistently useful in combat) and to Wolf09's magic powers -- which I had played the year before, and in fact I bought Singularity based on how much I liked Wolf09.

This at least explains why.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Mordja posted:

So the sad truth of the matter is that Crysis is now old enough that I'm going to rules lawyer it into being an "early" FPS. Are there any cool gameplay mods for it, the type that add more weapons/vehicles/enemies?

Reposting this.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Anyone who says you can't install Wolf09 on Windows 10 is a liar. Though, I actually forgot if I ever needed to mess with the files to get it running better, but I most likely did things to make it look nicer. The game ran perfectly fine, unless this is an issue with retail copies out there and not the Steam one.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
we should adopt a rule that the cut off for 'early fps' is 2005

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Uncle Kitchener posted:

Anyone who says you can't install Wolf09 on Windows 10 is a liar. Though, I actually forgot if I ever needed to mess with the files to get it running better, but I most likely did things to make it look nicer. The game ran perfectly fine, unless this is an issue with retail copies out there and not the Steam one.

You can't get it on Steam anymore, so all of these discussions are about the retail version.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

ETPC posted:

Prey came out in 2006 and feels more like an early FPS

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

ToxicFrog posted:

You can't get it on Steam anymore, so all of these discussions are about the retail version.

is there no way of putting in the codes into steam to activate it that way?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Yeah, this thread talks about Early FPS Adjacent games too. Somebody, maybe even Kinsie, puts the end of the era at the release of Unreal 2 and had good reasoning for it.

I can't wait for Final Doomer 3.0, I guess Yholl accidentally put some information into the changelog or something? I can't wait to see the new classes.

Uncle Kitchener posted:

is there no way of putting in the codes into steam to activate it that way?

Unforunately, no. Same with Singularity. I'm sure there's a reason for it, but it's probably Activision being assholes.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
It is now the Old FPS thread and games ~15 years or older seems to be a decent cutoff

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
No help at all. :argh:

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Mordja posted:

No help at all. :argh:

The mod scene for Crysis appears to mostly be maps and levels. There's a few mods like the Tactical Expansion Mod, that adds some weapons, but enemies and vehicles I'm seeing less of. There's even a couple big things that do, but are also their own things, like StarCry.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Did we talk about how there's a dash of HL3 jokes in this recent Gabe video? Always believe in Half-Life 3. I want to believe. The truth is out there.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-08-22-gabe-newell-dota-2-voice-over

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
HL3 is never coming out because, IIRC, Valve lets employees work on whatever they want (not a bad thing on its own) and assigns bonuses based on how much money their project made. These two things create a very strong incentive for employees to only work on stuff that is already making lots of money.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

That's true, but I don't think it means HL3 will never happen. Even if they haven't gotten their act together yet, they've worked with outside teams a lot over the years. They might let somebody trusted make HL3 with their supervision if they really don't feel like making it. Even if they aren't interested in it right now, who knows, it could go somewhere in a couple years. I think the odds are high we'll see a Half-Life 3 at some point. And I think Gabe joking about it is actually a good sign that hope hasn't been lost. Even if it takes a long long time for it to materialize.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

The Kins posted:

I'd honestly play Wolfenstein first, it's combat and mechanics are fairly different and may not feel quite as good after Doom 2016.

Mordja posted:

The nu-Wolfenstein games are severely diminished in the face of DOOM so I'd suggest playing them first. TNO because DOOM came out seized its oldschool-newschool crown, TNC because it's just not great and actually worse than its predecessor in many ways, especially concerning level design.
Don't play the less good games before the great games. Play the great games first. Always play the great games first. Life is short and your free time is finite.

Also I replayed TNO after Doom 2016 in a fit of "Hell yes ID shooters rule" and still really enjoyed it. It's not as good as Doom 2016, but it's not trying to be Doom 2016. It's is own stealthy shooty thing that's still fun and it has a great story.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Aug 27, 2018

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Heavy Metal posted:

That's true, but I don't think it means HL3 will never happen. Even if they haven't gotten their act together yet, they've worked with outside teams a lot over the years. They might let somebody trusted make HL3 with their supervision if they really don't feel like making it. Even if they aren't interested in it right now, who knows, it could go somewhere in a couple years. I think the odds are high we'll see a Half-Life 3 at some point. And I think Gabe joking about it is actually a good sign that hope hasn't been lost. Even if it takes a long long time for it to materialize.

He's been joking about it for a long time. Frankly I don't think that there's enough people left at Valve that care about Half Life for them to ever do anything with it again.
I hope I'm wrong but Valve has been pretty consistently disappointing me for a while now.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i don't think anyone involved with writing for half life is even left at valve anymore

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
I think after Epistle 3 got posted, Marc Laidlaw said that it was just he had conceptualized for Episode 3, and that it didn't necessarily mean the end of the series (Epistle 3 still leaves things pretty unresolved).

Anyway, I was looking through the OP, and I noticed there was a Shadow Warrior mod listed (Last Warrior). Is anyone familiar with it?

Does anyone also know if there's been any more progress on that Shadow Warrior Deadly Kiss expansion that got unearthed, or did that fall apart (it sounded like some of the people working on that moved on to Ion Maiden).

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

catlord posted:

Yeah, this thread talks about Early FPS Adjacent games too. Somebody, maybe even Kinsie, puts the end of the era at the release of Unreal 2 and had good reasoning for it.
That sounds about right. This thread does tend to veer off into newer games sometimes, but it's usually in the name of discussing FPS game design and it's usually pretty chill, so I don't think there's much of a need to rules-lawyer about it unless we spend ten pages discussing Black Ops 4 or whatever.

Max Wilco posted:

I think after Epistle 3 got posted, Marc Laidlaw said that it was just he had conceptualized for Episode 3, and that it didn't necessarily mean the end of the series (Epistle 3 still leaves things pretty unresolved).
It's been a long time, but I believe the example Marc used was the Aliens series not ending after a script didn't get produced. Granted, Alien Resurrection may not be the best example to cite...

Max Wilco posted:

Does anyone also know if there's been any more progress on that Shadow Warrior Deadly Kiss expansion that got unearthed, or did that fall apart (it sounded like some of the people working on that moved on to Ion Maiden).
I believe the people heading up that restoration are busy with Ion Maiden at the moment. They want to do other Shadow Warrior stuff, like a better source port of some kind, so odds are it'll float back up some day.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

RyokoTK posted:

If you ever have any questions about mapping or whatever you can check out the Marathon discord https://discord.gg/SPnaDz

haha i was wondering a month ago if the old metaserver crew (or anyone) ever migrated to Discord. I'll check it out.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

So if Valce outsourced Episode 3/HL 3 development, which studio would you prefer take the reins?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

GUI posted:

You can find a 10-20 minute video and trailers/teasers around a year before the finished version of Singularity came out with all the things they removed. Entire areas, third person cutscenes, voiced main character, different NPCs, weapon wheel (no 2 weapon limit), different weapon models, etc.

In OG Doom, Wolfenstein (TNO,TOB, RTCW), Painkiller and plenty I'm forgetting (Serious Sam?), even non-FPSes, armour works by absorbing some damage instead of all of it like in Doom 2016. It's kind of weird to have it straight up act as a health bar on top of another.

Only other game, that comes to my mind with new Doom's bonus health "armour" would be C&C Renegade, and it felt weird even back then.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I just started a replay of Doom 3 and I had forgotten how absolutely pointless the armour in it is. It absorbs a whopping 0.2% of damage. :downs:

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

anatomi posted:

So if Valce outsourced Episode 3/HL 3 development, which studio would you prefer take the reins?

I’m pretty sure this will never ever happen but if it did I think the only rational choice would be Arkane

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

The Kins posted:

That sounds about right. This thread does tend to veer off into newer games sometimes, but it's usually in the name of discussing FPS game design and it's usually pretty chill, so I don't think there's much of a need to rules-lawyer about it unless we spend ten pages discussing Black Ops 4 or whatever.

If it helps, my internal justification for asking about Doom 2016 an' Wolfenstein TNO were because of a few things: first, they're part of the original FPS franchises. Second, you guys are good at talking about why a given FPS is better than another. And third, I figured it'd help re-rail the thread after that awful argument.

Anyways, I still haven't figured out how to make Wolfenstein TNO stop stuttering, so I've uninstalled and I'll get Doom 2016 installed soon. There's a lot of good to be said for the magicians who have made GZDoom and Quake's port and the Marathon port - all you have to do is set up the config and bam, you're playing a game with no problems. I'm looking forward to fixes like that for the 'modern' games we've got now in twenty years time or so.

Also, while I was enjoying Wolfenstein TNO, I found I was enjoying the stealth more than the shooting, which is - don't get me wrong, I love good stealth, but it's not what I'm looking for in a FPS at the mo. I wanna rock and roll and it sounds like Doom'll give me that.

Last bit: Doom 2's music is really really good and I loved how I was grooving along and then the track shifted into a samba and I just cracked up.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

anatomi posted:

Ninja Theory. :D

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

anatomi posted:

THE BAR posted:

Only other game, that comes to my mind with new Doom's bonus health "armour" would be C&C Renegade, and it felt weird even back then.
...Goldeneye and Perfect Dark?

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

anatomi posted:

Arkane, definitely. I'd love to say Naughty Dog but they're Sony only. Sonly. The Machinegames guys could do it if they pulled their heads outta their asses via level design.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

anatomi posted:

id :shepface:

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

ETPC posted:

Eh, if anything just rename the thread "old" fps and put a soft rule that anything 10 years old or older is cool to talk about.

anatomi posted:

Would be cool to see what Arkane could do with it imo.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

The Kins posted:

...Goldeneye and Perfect Dark?

Never played PD and I didn't remember Goldeneye having armour pickups.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Pathos posted:

I’m pretty sure this will never ever happen but if it did I think the only rational choice would be Arkane

Arkane's usual output (expansive, nonlinear levels, nonlinear environmental storytelling with a mix of incidental dialogue and diaries/audio logs, multiple approaches to overcome or completely bypass most obstacles) is kind of the antithesis of Half-Life (linear levels, linear storytelling through scripted sequences and cutscenes), so I think an Arkane-developed Half-Life 3 might look dramatically different from HL1/2.

That said, it would own bones and I would play the poo poo out of it.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

THE BAR posted:

Never played PD and I didn't remember Goldeneye having armour pickups.

goldeneye definitely had body armor. the sound is embedded in my brain

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Not only did Goldeneye have body armor, but it was the only sustainable damage mitigation on a level since there was no way to restore your actual health.

But it was the same style as Doom 4, where armor completely absorbed damage and you only took HP damage if you had no armor.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Perfect Dark worked the same way; it was personal shields rather than armour, but the mechanics were identical. But like Goldeneye there was no way to recover health mid-mission, so there was a meaningful mechanical difference between armour and health.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Also, while I was enjoying Wolfenstein TNO, I found I was enjoying the stealth more than the shooting, which is - don't get me wrong, I love good stealth, but it's not what I'm looking for in a FPS at the mo. I wanna rock and roll and it sounds like Doom'll give me that.

The further into it the fewer opportunities you have for stealth, sadly.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

GUI posted:

I just started a replay of Doom 3 and I had forgotten how absolutely pointless the armour in it is. It absorbs a whopping 0.2% of damage. :downs:

That's why I like health bar style armour.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

ToxicFrog posted:

The further into it the fewer opportunities you have for stealth, sadly.

Booooo it was good stealth! Not like, Thief-level stealth but it was fun!

On the pipe dream of who I want to handle Half-Life 3, I want From Software to do it - because, frankly, if anyone made Half Life 3 at this point they'd need to make it the best game ever, and so having From give it a - a sprawling world, weird combat, and evocative writing that could elegantly wrap it up - well. It'd be interesting, and Half Life of all franchises deserves an interesting sequel/finale.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
If you wanted a team that could emulate Half Life's design ethos, I would 100% choose Respawn, because Titanfall 2's campaign was structured almost identically to HL2's, but with more giant robits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

StrixNebulosa posted:

Booooo it was good stealth! Not like, Thief-level stealth but it was fun!

Yeah, and I was pretty impressed by the first few levels because of it, but the rest of the game did not live up to that promise. :(