Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
And the argument rests on vague "interesting, dramatic, informative, meaningful" qualities instead of any aesthetic appreciation. Look up the farcical duel between Flay and Swelter in Titus Groan instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Mel Mudkiper posted:

No but it being true makes it true

Like, are you seriously arguing against McLuhan here because that's gonna be an uphill battle

My understanding of MM is that he says the form and arrangement of communication technology is more important sociologically than the transmitted information. I agree with this more in principle than in his specifics - he cites a lightbulb as an example of a medium devoid of message, which seems to ignore the most important function of a lightbulb, which is providing light.

I can still take MM as a decent approach to media studies. But it is entirely unclear to me how we move from that to the idea that the quality and feel of the prose is the sole relevant measure of a works worth. It seems to me that "the medium is the message" would more apply to the form in which prose is packaged and delivered - say, discrete novels vs the serialisation of Dickens vs bloated fantasy septrilogies.

It could just be I'm misunderstanding MM, or that I just have a different understanding of the term "medium".

As to the Bakker thread - I never said that his prose is entirely irrelevant ( although I happen to like his tortuously overwrought apocalyptica). Instead I said that I enjoyed Bakker for his themes and characters - both how they embody and grapple his philosophical points - and also on a basic plot level.

And this is why I feel a purely prose based analysis of genre fiction is the wrong approach (even BotL is less prose-supremicist in his reviews than he seems to believe we should be). Genre fiction is primarily driven by the plot and the character, and is enjoyed by people for those reasons. Take Agatha Christie - not much of interest on a sentence by sentence level, but holy crap she knew how to spin a mystery.

So if we're going to criticise it entirely on the basis of lovely prose we also have to show that it can't/shouldn't be enjoyed on the basis of plot and character. This is a much harder position to defend.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

My understanding of MM is that he says the form and arrangement of communication technology is more important sociologically than the transmitted information. I agree with this more in principle than in his specifics - he cites a lightbulb as an example of a medium devoid of message, which seems to ignore the most important function of a lightbulb, which is providing light.

I can still take MM as a decent approach to media studies. But it is entirely unclear to me how we move from that to the idea that the quality and feel of the prose is the sole relevant measure of a works worth. It seems to me that "the medium is the message" would more apply to the form in which prose is packaged and delivered - say, discrete novels vs the serialisation of Dickens vs bloated fantasy septrilogies.

It could just be I'm misunderstanding MM, or that I just have a different understanding of the term "medium".

Yeah your understanding of what McLuhan means by medium is pretty off. It has nothing to do with genre or style, for example.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Khizan posted:

Yeah, if you're not a fast reader but read a 500+ page book in under 2 hours, that could be why none of it stuck.

it's easy to read most sci fi and fantasy novels in a short time because they're extremely simple

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Look up the farcical duel between Flay and Swelter in Titus Groan instead.

I was just thinking of that. I loved that fight scene, because the hate between them had been so well built up for so long, and then it all comes down to flailing around in cobwebs. I've mostly just got fantasy-pap to compare it to, and the difference in impact was astounding.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Yeah your understanding of what McLuhan means by medium is pretty off. It has nothing to do with genre or style, for example.

Then why is he relevant to discussions of genre and style?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

to me it isn't and if you want to take that up with BotL go ahead I am just objecting to the fact you said it wasn't true

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Mel Mudkiper posted:

to me it isn't and if you want to take that up with BotL go ahead I am just objecting to the fact you said it wasn't true

Ahh fair enough. BotL keeps wheeling it out as justification for looking solely at the quality of the prose, which is what I was complaining about.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Not sure why I would read about a sword fight when I can just pop in my Blu-ray of The Princess Bride any time I want. :rolleyes:

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

quote:

Having released the netting of his bunk, George Tremont floated himself out. He ran his tongue around his mouth and grimaced.

"Wonder how long I slept ... feels like too long," he muttered. "Well, they would have called me."

The "cabin" was a ninety-degree wedge of a cylinder hardly eight feet high. From one end of its outer arc across to the other was just over ten feet, so that it had been necessary to bevel two corners of the hinged, three-by-seven bunk to clear the sides of the wedge. Lockers flattened the arc behind the bunk.

Tremont maneuvered himself into a vertical position in the eighteen inches between the bunk and a flat surface that cut off the point of the wedge. He stretched out an arm to remove towel and razor from one of the lockers, then carefully folded the bunk upward and hooked it securely in place.

With room to turn now, he swung around and slid open a double door in the flat surface, revealing a shaft three feet square whose center was also the theoretical intersection of his cabin walls. Tremont pulled himself into the shaft. From "up" forward, light leaked through a partly open hatch, and he could hear a murmur of voices as he jackknifed in the opposite direction.

"At least two of them are up there," he grunted.

He wondered which of the other three cabins was occupied, meanwhile pulling himself along by the ladder rungs welded to one corner of the shaft. He reached a slightly wider section aft, which boasted entrances to two air locks, a spacesuit locker, a galley, and a head. He entered the last, noting the murmur of air-conditioning machinery on the other side of the bulkhead.

Tremont hooked a foot under a toehold to maintain his position facing a mirror. He plugged in his razor, turned on the exhauster in the slot below the mirror to keep the clippings out of his eyes, and began to shave. As the beard disappeared, he considered the deals he had come to Centauri to put through.

"A funny business!" he told his image. "Dealing in ideas! Can you really sell a man's thoughts?"

Beginning to work around his chin, he decided that it actually was practical. Ideas, in fact, were almost the only kind of import worth bringing from Sol to Alpha Centauri. Large-scale shipments of necessities were handled by the Federated Governments. To carry even precious or power metals to Earth or to return with any type of manufactured luxury was simply too expensive in money, fuel, effort, and time.

On the other hand, traveling back every five years to buy up plans and licenses for the latest inventions or processes—that was profitable enough to provide a good living for many a man in Tremont's business. All he needed were a number of reliable contacts and a good knowledge of the needs of the three planets and four satellites colonized in the Centaurian system.

Only three days earlier, Tremont had returned from his most recent trip to the old star, landing from the great interstellar ship on the outer moon of Centauri VII. There he leased this small rocket—the Annabel, registered more officially as the AC7-4-525—for his local traveling. It would be another five days before he reached the inhabited moons of Centauri VI.

He stopped next in the galley for a quick breakfast out of tubes, regretting the greater convenience of the starship, then returned the towel and razor to his cabin. He decided that his slightly rumpled shirt and slacks of utilitarian gray would do for another day. About thirty-eight, an inch or two less than six feet and muscularly slim, Tremont had an air of habitual neatness. His dark hair, thinning at the temples, was clipped short and brushed straight back. There were smile wrinkles at the corners of his blue eyes and grooving his lean cheeks.

He closed the cabin doors and pulled himself forward to enter the control room through the partly open hatch. The forward bulkhead offered no more head room than did his own cabin, but there seemed to be more breathing space because this chamber was not quartered. Deck space, however, was at such a premium because of the controls, acceleration couches, and astrogating equipment that the hatch was the largest clear area.

Two men and a girl turned startled eyes upon Tremont as he rose into their view. One of the men, about forty-five but sporting a youngish manner to match his blond crewcut and tanned features, glanced quickly at his wrist watch.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
Mel mudkiper, noted for his adherence to the doctrine of authorial intent,

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Because prose is the most important part of prose fiction.

I'm amazed that you struggle with this concept.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Because prose is the most important part of prose fiction.

I'm amazed that you struggle with this concept.

I don't struggle, I disagree, and instead of justifying your position you take the piss.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I wish people would stop taking the piss by saying silly stuff like that music is the most important part of music.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

But what about narrative, plot, character, theme? These are all parts of novels, and the parts that genre readers are most interested in. Why are they wrong?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Strom Cuzewon posted:

But what about narrative, plot, character, theme? These are all parts of novels, and the parts that genre readers are most interested in. Why are they wrong?

Why does it matter what "parts the genre readers are most interested in"? If they were just interested in narrative or characters, they would simply listen to people talk about their lives instead of going out of their way to read text.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Why does it matter what "parts the genre readers are most interested in"? If they were just interested in narrative or characters, they would simply listen to people talk about their lives instead of going out of their way to read text.

Because I don't know any wizards, or regency spinsters, or foul-mouthed detectives with nothing to lose and a city with everything to gain.

Are you actually arguing that the story is a meaningless part of a book?

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Imo the idea that prose can be a neutral or transparent container for the real "content" is a mistake that genre readers make. Or, worse, that "good" prose is something only decorative.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Because I don't know any wizards, or regency spinsters, or foul-mouthed detectives with nothing to lose and a city with everything to gain.

Are you actually arguing that the story is a meaningless part of a book?

Magicians, unmarried people, and police officers are all reasonably common figures in society. Even I know a card trick or two.

What do you mean by "story" specifically? The plot? The narrative? The overall impression of a text?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Yes, those. And all the other things I said about character and theme.

Llamadeus posted:

Imo the idea that prose can be a neutral or transparent container for the real "content" is a mistake that genre readers make. Or, worse, that "good" prose is something only decorative.

Absolutely! It'd be a very grim book that did that, and a very grim person who read that way. But I'm not arguing for the complete rejection of prose, only that we can't ignore all the actual content of the book.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Yes, those. And all the other things I said about character and theme.

Well then you're simply confused because you can't differentiate form and content, and thus will in all likelihood remain idiotically confused until you read, oh I don't know, Understanding Media by Marshall McLuhan.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Strom Cuzewon posted:

the actual content
nrrrgghhhh

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Pretend I said story.

Well then you're simply confused because you can't differentiate form and content, and thus will in all likelihood remain idiotically confused until you read, oh I don't know, Understanding Media by Marshall McLuhan.

Yes! I am confused! That's why I'm asking for clarification. Are you able to clarify?

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Those things are all and only conveyed through the 'medium' of prose. You can't access a character or a theme or whatever in any way except by reading it.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

A human heart posted:

Those things are all and only conveyed through the 'medium' of prose. You can't access a character or a theme or whatever in any way except by reading it.

Yes. But they are still things that exist within the novel, so why can't we use them when considering the novel?

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Yes. But they are still things that exist within the novel, so why can't we use them when considering the novel?

Who's dismissing them totally? The statement you took issue with was that the prose is the most important feature of a novel, which is true because everything else is conveyed through it. That's why people are talking about McLuhan, because the prose is the 'medium' for the 'message 'of things like plots or characters

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

A human heart posted:

Who's dismissing them totally? The statement you took issue with was that the prose is the most important feature of a novel, which is true because everything else is conveyed through it. That's why people are talking about McLuhan, because the prose is the 'medium' for the 'message 'of things like plots or characters

"The medium is the message" and the bits of McLuhan I've read seem to be very exclusionary of considering the events and characters of the novel. And BotL constantly dismisses these as irrelevant.

And if I'm misunderstanding BotL then I really wish he said so like thirty posts ago and saved us all this bother.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Magicians, unmarried people, and police officers are all reasonably common figures in society.

honestly. strom cuzewon, give non-fiction a try

Even I know a card trick or two.

*groan*

between this and "magnum dope-us", I'm ready to fight to be the one to throw the "ban" switch

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

hackbunny posted:

*groan*

between this and "magnum dope-us", I'm ready to fight to be the one to throw the "ban" switch

Wait, did I make an unintentional pun there?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Strom Cuzewon posted:

"The medium is the message" and the bits of McLuhan I've read seem to be very exclusionary of considering the events and characters of the novel. And BotL constantly dismisses these as irrelevant.

Strom no offense but you are coming off as a dude who is checking wikipedia for info on McLuhan so you can respond. I would probably drop that whole angle before going further because both of you are kind of twisting his ideas to suit your purposes.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Strom no offense but you are coming off as a dude who is checking wikipedia for info on McLuhan so you can respond. I would probably drop that whole angle before going further because both of you are kind of twisting his ideas to suit your purposes.

I'm actually google-fuing articles and pdf extracts because the library is closed, but yeah, point taken.

hackbunny posted:

honestly. strom cuzewon, give non-fiction a try

I've just started Kahneman's Thinking Fast and Slow, but I might hit some biographies up afterwards. Derren Brown is a cock though, so I'm happy keeping my wizards fictional.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

Wait, did I make an unintentional pun there?

puns are not the only capital offense, citizen

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

hackbunny posted:

puns are not the only capital offense, citizen

Card tricks are a legitimate form of sorcery, dad

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Mel Mudkiper posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wWUc8BZgWE

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Ha I was thinking of this the whole time

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

So I got a month for quoting a sex offender, what do you get for quoting a child molester?

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
When Marshall McLuhan talked about the "medium" of writing, he meant, like, printed letters running right to left on a series of pages, reproduced exactly over many copies, not the loving prose and syntax. Everyone here is full of poo poo.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

So I got a month for quoting a sex offender, what do you get for quoting a child molester?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxu7xLp4pnY

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Eugene V. Dubstep posted:

When Marshall McLuhan talked about the "medium" of writing, he meant, like, printed letters running right to left on a series of pages, reproduced exactly over many copies, not the loving prose and syntax. Everyone here is full of poo poo.

Hey gently caress you I was pointing that out too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Eugene V. Dubstep posted:

Like I said in the Bakker thread, the sentiment is still applicable to study of art as opposed to just media, because it encourages study of formal qualities rather than of content.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Aug 27, 2018